Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I did assume they'd wait until the end of the existing anime before doing this, but I can see why it's happening now. The current One Piece anime is very successful, but a weekly kid's show that started in 1999 (and all the animation/filler jank that implies) isn't reaching the western audience that "prestige" martial arts adaptations like Jujutsu Kaisen or Demon Slayer are able to pull. One Piece is running pretty hot at the moment so it makes sense to try and really establish it in abroad.

Gyges posted:

Assuming they don't run it 52 weeks a year until the heat death of the universe, starting a seasonal readaptation now probably lets them only almost catch up by the time we find out what the One Piece is. Maybe not even catch up if they find a way to incorporate all the cover stories.
I strongly doubt they'll catch up at all. In order to justify the remake it will probably have very high production values, which means maybe 13 episodes per year if that (see Demon Slayer's schedule for comparison). Even if we assume we're on a much brisker pace of ~3 chapters per episode it still seems like it'll take multiple decades to reach where the manga currently is (chapter 1100).

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's just not enough details about what exactly this project is yet to say for certain. I can say at least as a Netflix series it's not going to be a continuous weekly series. Probably.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I did assume they'd wait until the end of the existing anime before doing this, but I can see why it's happening now. The current One Piece anime is very successful, but a weekly kid's show that started in 1999 (and all the animation/filler jank that implies) isn't reaching the western audience that "prestige" martial arts adaptations like Jujutsu Kaisen or Demon Slayer are able to pull. One Piece is running pretty hot at the moment so it makes sense to try and really establish it in abroad.

I strongly doubt they'll catch up at all. In order to justify the remake it will probably have very high production values, which means maybe 13 episodes per year if that (see Demon Slayer's schedule for comparison). Even if we assume we're on a much brisker pace of ~3 chapters per episode it still seems like it'll take multiple decades to reach where the manga currently is (chapter 1100).

i wouldnt compare it to demon slayer. i would compare it to studio wit’s current show, spy x family, which had a 25 episode first season throughout 2022 and started its second season this october (11 episodes aired so far.)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SpyxFamily does have action but not the extended and near constant battles that One Piece does. I just can't see this being any easier to make than something like JJK (a show which has proved very punishing for the staff to produce even at its relatively slow rate), especially given that it's going to be scrutinized and compared to the old anime constantly.

e: sticking to WIT we have Attack on Titan which changed studios at least partly due to them not being able to keep up with the tough production demands

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 18, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Can't they just put it into the AI and tell it to "draw it again but gooder"???

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"GUM GUM..... *Luffy's hand grows 17 new fingers* ABOMINATION!"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

mikeycp posted:

a fma:b treatment is so much better than a dbz kai one.

kai's pacing was still insanely hosed. especially in the later arcs.

OG anime did not start making poo poo up halfway through, so there is no need for a FMB style second adaptation.
I hope this version will take some liberties with style and action (maybe to the degree of Production IG OVA from 1998 or just have some creative animators for moneyshot scenes) so it would be worth watching

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The weird part to me is that the manga, like, Has No Filler and I'd even argue the early anime is pretty much paced as well as you'll get. I would have preferred a DB Kai treatment where they tightened things up and then started really working the chopping block around the (past OPLA) Water 7/Enies Lobby arcs.

Even the early anime had a lot of long drawn out pauses for "effect" that were really hust there to pad for time. No arc of the One Piece anime has ever gotten up to the average pace of 3 chapters. The closest it's ever been was 2.8 in Orange Town.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1783162780100505788

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
But are we getting Jamie Lee Curtis?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

But are we getting Jamie Lee Curtis?

Unconfirmed but considering the showrunner wants her to do it and she definitely wants to do it I'd say the only thing that could possibly stop it from happening would be budget or scheduling conflicts

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God it's gonna be a long wait but I am so pumped for more. Still a little in awe that they managed to nail the feel of One Piece in live action so well.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Unconfirmed but considering the showrunner wants her to do it and she definitely wants to do it I'd say the only thing that could possibly stop it from happening would be budget or scheduling conflicts

Oh God that would be amazing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like considering everyone wants it and it would look real good to have a guest spot by an Oscar Winning Actress, there's probably gonna be a fair bit of bending over backwards to make it happen

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
For anyone who missed it, Jacob Romero's got the deets on season 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpdS4hgDXLM

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Still feel a little bad for the cast that the strike landed right on top of the show being released so they couldn't do the full press tour for it. Charismatic bunch.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Casting Director: Jamie, will you be in our adaption of One Piece?

Jamie Lee Curtis: "OF COURSE I WILL! OF COURSE I WILL! OF COURSE I WILL!"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
She’s just sitting by the phone in full cosplay 24/7 by this point.

Not because she’s waiting for the casting director to call, she’s just like that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

She just ate the Fan-Fan Fruit.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I want ace, give me my fire boy! Also, sabo, but only because I want to know how posh they'll make him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Phylodox posted:

She’s just sitting by the phone in full cosplay 24/7 by this point.

Not because she’s waiting for the casting director to call, she’s just like that.

She's still in the Patricia Tannis outfit from the Borderlands movie