Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I’m kind of impressed by the rubber physics, in my experience that kind of thing is extremely difficult to make look good in live action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
These are some anime arse hair cuts.

Pink hair is a bad actor. Has one trick and leans on it HARD.

Lead's great though, he's decided to just play it as a full narcissitic psychopath, like he knows he's the protagonist of an adventure story. Fun but low key terrifying.

Holy poo poo Jeff Ward lmfao.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
This show rules. Great adaptation, even my wife loves it and she hates anime anything

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Huge fan of the anime/manga and One Piece in general. I think that's what a lot of nerds need to understand; it's obviously not going to be a 1:1 adaption; it is its own entity in the OP license.

ANYWAY that being said I caught the first two episodes and am beyond impressed. It's incredibly cute, heartwarming, very funny the cast is all great and obviously the fight scenes are incredible. Very giddy and excited about this as a whole!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I just wonder if the emotional beats hit as well for new audience members given the time constraints of trying to fit multiple plots inside of an hour. I felt Zoro's backstory was adapted well enough but I feel like its different without the time to sink in and get attached to characters compared to people who know whats coming

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kill All Cops posted:

I just wonder if the emotional beats hit as well for new audience members given the time constraints of trying to fit multiple plots inside of an hour. I felt Zoro's backstory was adapted well enough but I feel like its different without the time to sink in and get attached to characters compared to people who know whats coming

Honestly I was extremely non-invested in most of the backstories in the anime except for chopper, ace, and law

e: oh and Brook of course

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

A big flaming stink posted:

Honestly I was extremely non-invested in most of the backstories in the anime except for chopper, ace, and law

e: oh and Brook of course

Uninvested in Ohara? :eng99:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Whoa I had no idea the actor who plays Roronoa Zoro is Sonny Chiba's son

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Count Thrashula posted:

Whoa I had no idea the actor who plays Roronoa Zoro is Sonny Chiba's son

Me either! He's doing a great job as Zoro too.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Very pleasantly surprised at how much I’m liking this adaptation.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I'm enjoying the show but drat like a third of it is extremely boring flashbacks.

They're so weird. They're all the same fundamental story: a child has big dreams, but then the person they had a crucial relationship with dies and they're sad. And the characters don't really change between the flashback and the present tense. "You know this character that's really into pirating/cooking/swordfighting? Well, when they were a kid, they were also really into that."

I would absolutely cut them completely. So far, not one of these scenes has added a single thing to the dynamic that wouldn't have been better addressed in one (1) brief line of dialogue and they distract from the dope pirate adventures happening in the present, slamming the brakes on the pacing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the flashbacks range from brief(Zoro's) to extremely long(some are a volume or more in length). the flashbacks early on are certainly less interesting in most cases(barring Nami's) and I think it'd be difficult to adapt them satisfactorily in such a truncated series like this to begin with, so it's not surprising they're not really hitting with some folks.

One Piece loving loves its flashbacks, the series as a whole has pretty significant ones that do an excellent job to establish settings and hierarchies of the world, which often pay off hundreds of chapters down the road. I like to say Oda has "Chekhov's Arsenal", because he's always planning a ton of things that don't come into play until much, much later.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Gyges posted:

Uninvested in Ohara? :eng99:

Not only did that flashback take place in the worst possible time in terms of pacing, everything portrayed had already been revealed by implication! The only interesting part was Saul!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Finished the first season, and was overall super impressed. The last couple episodes had some really emotionally touching moments and I can't wait for season 2.

Agreed with everyone about Iñaki Godoy being the standout. It would be SO easy for his character to be really annoyingim his optimism and naiveté, but the actor's charisma and earnestness just really carried it.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I have tried multiple times since One Piece was first released my senior year of high school to get into this series. And I just bounce off every time. And when I ask myself why, I come up with only one consistent answer:

I just can't stand Oda's goofy loving art.

I mean, I keep hearing it's this deep-lore, emotionally moving, complex story filled to the brim with foreshadowing and Chekhov's guns, just the kind of thing I like, but I just. Cannot. Get past the fact that its drawn like a demented fairy tale for hyperactive children.

So I gave the live action series a try, and you know what? That did the trick. I never made it to Arlong park before, but here I am, on the other side, ready for more. All because the series toned down Oda's acid trip into something I could stand.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my dude it's just a cartoonish style. it's not an "acid trip" or "demented fairytale for hyperactive children"

loving goons lol

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

my dude it's just a cartoonish style. it's not an "acid trip" or "demented fairytale for hyperactive children"

loving goons lol

My dude, I don't like it, I'll call it whatever I want.

Also my thesaurus gathers dust if I don't occasionally use it.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’m a hating rear end bitch who notices that young Sanji does not at all look like he has been starving for days.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I tried watching the anime for a second and luffy’s voice in both versions is wack. I would not want to be around that person for any amount of time

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Finished S1, loved it. Great adaption IMO. Luffy's actor loving nailed it, I thought he might be a weak link initially but nope. Really fun and silly and heartwarming and I loved it. Perfect? Nah nothing is but so much better than I expected.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Amazing that they kept in Zoro's goofy rear end origin wholesale. The most dated of dated archaic motivators.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Amazing that they kept in Zoro's goofy rear end origin wholesale. The most dated of dated archaic motivators.
I read that Oda insisted on keeping all the backstories in and unchanged, and yeah that one in particular feels super strange.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

loving goons lol

I haven’t watched or read one piece in years, but it only clicked for me like a couple months ago that Luffy’s concept is “what if a shonen protagonist was a looney tune/ an old timey rubber-hose animation cartoon”.

Glad to hear this is getting a surprisingly positive reception. Will have to check it out.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I read the first whatever volumes years ago when I was bored, but just couldn't keep up with it because it just felt extremely never-ending (and it was around the time when I was getting over shounen). I'm surprised at how well the live action works - I think it just captures a lot of the energy that a lot of adaptations are missing, making it fun.

Also, the main actor playing Luffy is doing a really good job of balancing the annoyingness with being somewhat goofy likable.

Darko fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 2, 2023

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
I'm going to get to Sanji's intro episode tonight and without asking for explicit spoilers please tell me they didn't make him loving disgusting lol

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Gaylor Moon posted:

I'm going to get to Sanji's intro episode tonight and without asking for explicit spoilers please tell me they didn't make him loving disgusting lol

He flirts a handful of times with cheesy pickup lines that get shot down. It's not nearly as bad as the manga/anime with the swooning heart eyes and nosebleeds and poo poo. It helps that the actor is pretty smooth and doesn't come across as a creep.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah it's mostly like:

Sanji: hey, *pickup line*, *wink*
Woman: no
Sanji: *shrug* okay

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

There's a good slapstick when Nami returns to them at Arlong Park and Sanji opens his arm to greet her only to look mildly rejected as she walks right past him. It's there, but it's been toned down.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

His entire demeanor does change when he notices Nami for the first time but its no where near as dramatic as in the show.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I just got to credits on episode 4, which I think may be my favorite of them so far. The guy playing Kuro really nailed it; he's such a loving creep, it ruled. The tone is really interesting. Everyone figured OP's goofy lightheartedness and cartoonish slapstick just can't work in live action, and to a certain extent, they were right. It's less cartoonish, by nature being, y'know, not a cartoon. Characters like Morgan, Buggy, Kuro, etc. feel a lot more... I don't know, sinister and menacing when they're played by real people. But they still have so much of their original ridiculous character designs, that it's like, you'll never not be able to tell that that's Buggy the Clown. I really like it. It's a good blend, and the people making it seem to have had a good sense of how to make certain things work as written, versus when to change stuff.

In particular though, I'm kind of in love with the set design. Even though you can see some of the seams, such as Ep2 when the entire thing takes place inside Buggy's tent, with a single shot of Orange Town that's then quickly moved on from and never seen again. Or, I noticed the wine cellar in Kaya's mansion in Ep3 had a very similar layout to the basement of the marine base in Ep1. But, if I'm being honest, that just makes me like it more. Being able to spot quirks like that, because they filmed on real, tangible sets made to look like the actual locations in OP, is a cool feeling. I've seen some people making fun of it as "low budget netflix production value" or whatever, but gently caress that, man. I'd take this a million times over a bunch of fake sets I know where filmed on a green void with a billion dollars funneled into an underpaid VFX studio to make the sets for them.

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I'm enjoying the show but drat like a third of it is extremely boring flashbacks.

They're so weird. They're all the same fundamental story: a child has big dreams, but then the person they had a crucial relationship with dies and they're sad. And the characters don't really change between the flashback and the present tense. "You know this character that's really into pirating/cooking/swordfighting? Well, when they were a kid, they were also really into that."

I would absolutely cut them completely. So far, not one of these scenes has added a single thing to the dynamic that wouldn't have been better addressed in one (1) brief line of dialogue and they distract from the dope pirate adventures happening in the present, slamming the brakes on the pacing.

I think Zoro's flashback in particular may be a victim of the translation between mediums. I really liked it because it's pretty faithful to the original, but you don't really get a sense for the contrast between young Zoro and adult Zoro's personality in this version. In the manga/anime he's a big energetic ball of childish frustration. He's a couple years younger than Kuina, and very immature, loud, and brash, constantly challenging her and getting his rear end beat over and over, which is pretty different to how we'd have seen Zoro acting as an adult, and I think that's not sold quite as convincingly in live action as it was in the original.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Baratie is such a sick set. Insane that they actually went and made it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CatstropheWaitress posted:

There's a good slapstick when Nami returns to them at Arlong Park and Sanji opens his arm to greet her only to look mildly rejected as she walks right past him. It's there, but it's been toned down.

I also really dug that after their initial meeting with Sanji, there's some delightful gentle teasing from Usopp and Zoro towards Nami for having a boooooyfriend :allears:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

One piece of poo poo. Goldmine.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TriffTshngo posted:

I think Zoro's flashback in particular may be a victim of the translation between mediums. I really liked it because it's pretty faithful to the original, but you don't really get a sense for the contrast between young Zoro and adult Zoro's personality in this version. In the manga/anime he's a big energetic ball of childish frustration. He's a couple years younger than Kuina, and very immature, loud, and brash, constantly challenging her and getting his rear end beat over and over, which is pretty different to how we'd have seen Zoro acting as an adult, and I think that's not sold quite as convincingly in live action as it was in the original.

Zoro's flashback also shows that the entire reason he uses 3 swords. He couldn't beat Kuina with two swords, so obviously 3 swords would make him strong enough.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Gyges posted:

Zoro's flashback also shows that the entire reason he uses 3 swords. He couldn't beat Kuina with two swords, so obviously 3 swords would make him strong enough.

It's also his way of keeping his promise to her, literally carrying her with him as a symbol.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I teared up a bit during that scene where Luffy finds Marry in the shipyard.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That was a shockingly good adaption of the East Blue Arc. Main flaws are just common Netflix poo poo like weird color filter choices and its own unique problem of overusing the fisheye lens. Other than that--good acting, good writing; they turned the arc into a lean eight hours without any nasty cuts. I even liked the added Coby plotline. This was clearly made by people who loved One Piece because otherwise I don't think they would have been able to hit the tone right like they did here.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm slowly going through the manga (only up to Sky Island) and just finished episode 4. I didn't know the marine chasing Luffy was his grandpa, also didn't know that Usopp's father was also a sharpshooter and Luffy knows him? Is this TV show slowly spoiling the manga for me? If that's the case I would stop watching the show.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

They couldn't have picked a more punch able faced actor for Helmeppo, perfect casting.

Watched the first 2 eps yesterday, absolutely loving it as a longtime fan of the manga. I like that they are foregrounding the Koby and Garp stuff, which was just a minimalistic cover arc in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

obi_ant posted:

I'm slowly going through the manga (only up to Sky Island) and just finished episode 4. I didn't know the marine chasing Luffy was his grandpa, also didn't know that Usopp's father was also a sharpshooter and Luffy knows him? Is this TV show slowly spoiling the manga for me? If that's the case I would stop watching the show.

The latter spoiler is told to you like right after Usopp joins in the manga, you just must have forgot.