Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
-weird color correction
-cgi looks like trash
-most fight scenes are p bad
-too much koby
-shanks is too serious all the time
-garp is too serious in general
-usopp basically does nothing in his own part of the story and its not believable that hed get invited to join the crew
-yes, fishmen are a racism metaphor. you dont need to hit us over the head w/ it Lol, wtf is this show doing
-the fishmen look like absolute poo poo btw
-weird changes in the evil nami story. arlong park was the best part of east blue in the original and its the worst part here

Dongicus posted:

One piece of poo poo. Goldmine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Fucker posted:

-weird color correction
-cgi looks like trash wrong
-most fight scenes are p bad wrong
-too much koby wrong
-shanks is too serious all the time wrong
-garp is too serious in general wrong
-usopp basically does nothing in his own part of the story and its not believable that hed get invited to join the crew wrong
-yes, fishmen are a racism metaphor. you dont need to hit us over the head w/ it Lol, wtf is this show doing
-the fishmen look like absolute poo poo btw wrong
-weird changes in the evil nami story. arlong park was the best part of east blue in the original and its the worst part here

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
it's not like the manga is particularly subtle with the fishman stuff either

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

it's not like the manga is particularly subtle with the fishman stuff either

lol not wrong, especially in the fishman island part, but its bad enough there and they tripled down here

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Feel like they aren't really selecting the crew based off of skill, plucky attitude and big dreams seem to be the main factors.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I don't think it being unsubtle is necessarily a bad thing. You just have to not be tacky about it – i.e. having a fishman say "Fishman lives matter" or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGrmJHqqi4M

Kind of indifferent on the fight scenes, but they won me over in that they kept wide shots for almost all it - vs. quick cut close ups. Let's ya really enjoy the sets and most importantly follow what's going on.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Luffy only asks the best of the best to join (eg Zombie Tree, Kinemon's Legs)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
:lol: at someone who read the manga/watched the anime complaining that Live Action Usopp is dead weight in East Blue. Also at the idea that Luffy has any sort of criteria for joining the crew that is based on usefulness or competence.

Perhaps the most Luffy moment in the Live Action was him trying to recruit a seagull because it struck his fancy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, if nothing else the live action series got Luffy’s character down more or less perfectly

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
A live action adaptation of One Piece has no business being this good.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Gyges posted:

:lol: at someone who read the manga/watched the anime complaining that Live Action Usopp is dead weight in East Blue. Also at the idea that Luffy has any sort of criteria for joining the crew that is based on usefulness or competence.

Perhaps the most Luffy moment in the Live Action was him trying to recruit a seagull because it struck his fancy.

usopp was the main or maybe secondary character of syrup village in the manga, bro. he was the quaternary character here
idk what to tell you

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Gyges posted:

It's basically whoever he likes enough to invite, while occasionally saying "Oh yeah, I COULD use a navigator/helmsman/chef/doctor/etc." because as dumb as he is even Luffy knows he needs someone who can cook and someone who can make the ship not sink.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fucker posted:

usopp was the main or maybe secondary character of syrup village in the manga, bro. he was the quaternary character here
idk what to tell you

Usopp was never invited to join the crew off his skills or showing that he was worthy. His entire point is that, for at least the first 5 arcs, he's just this side of useless, with momentary flashes of sucking it up to do something. He's the character with the most actual growth in the entire series.

Live Action Syrup Village was 1000 times better than either the manga or the anime, where it is hands down worse than even several filler arcs. Hell, Usopp was even way more useful in the changes.

TriffTshngo posted:

It's basically whoever he likes enough to invite, while occasionally saying "Oh yeah, I COULD use a navigator/helmsman/chef/doctor/etc." because as dumb as he is even Luffy knows he needs someone who can cook and someone who can make the ship not sink.

For an extremely large part of the series he insists that he needs to find a musician, because that's the most important part of a crew. He of course makes no efforts to look for one, just keeps mentioning it.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 3, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Usopp not getting much to do in Syrup Village is definitely an issue with how they adapted it. Sanji has the same issue to a lesser degree in Baratie (he gets to do some stuff but he doesn't see anything from Luffy that would really impress him). They seem to have prioritised Luffy/Zoro/Nami over the other two.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Gyges posted:

Usopp was never invited to join the crew off his skills or showing that he was worthy. His entire point is that, for at least the first 5 arcs, he's just this side of useless, with momentary flashes of sucking it up to do something. He's the character with the most actual growth in the entire series.

Live Action Syrup Village was 1000 times better than either the manga or the anime, where it is hands down worse than even several filler arcs. Hell, Usopp was even way more useful in the changes.

maybe u disliking syrup village that much is why u cant recall that usopp was a much more important character there and not an afterthought like here
if u dont want go reread those 20 chapters, then just trust me on it

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fucker posted:

maybe u disliking syrup village that much is why u cant recall that usopp was a much more important character there and not an afterthought like here
if u dont want go reread those 20 chapters, then just trust me on it

Aside from fighting one Smooth Criminal, he's as important or more so to wrapping everything up in the Live Action as he is in the other media. There's less specific focus due to the one character getting cut, but in exchange he gets more general focus and ties in closer with Kaya and the Going Merry. Which is way more important than cutting out his gently caress ups and his one fight.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Can someone elaborate on what the Devil Fruit tradeoff is? Like, it makes you weak to sea water but it looks like sea water just takes away your powers until you find a towel. That's not really a tradeoff, when your great weakness just makes you a regular guy.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Can someone elaborate on what the Devil Fruit tradeoff is? Like, it makes you weak to sea water but it looks like sea water just takes away your powers until you find a towel. That's not really a tradeoff, when your great weakness just makes you a regular guy.

It takes away your ability to swim, being dunked in seawater leaves you completely paralyzed.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Was majorly disappointed that zoro didn't take off his shirt to reveal a third arm for the third sword, but aside from that I really enjoyed it having no history with the manga/anime. I knew that Luffy ate the iggy, that's about it.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Gyges posted:

Aside from fighting one Smooth Criminal, he's as important or more so to wrapping everything up in the Live Action as he is in the other media. There's less specific focus due to the one character getting cut, but in exchange he gets more general focus and ties in closer with Kaya and the Going Merry. Which is way more important than cutting out his gently caress ups and his one fight.

he doesnt get more general focus and does not tie in closer with kaya at all (lol is this ab the kiss or something?)
ur reaching really hard here. there is no exchange

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Most of the world is oceans, and there's only 1 continent sized land mass that is a thin strip around the globe. It's like 2 steps away from full Water World. Not being able to swim and becoming this side of an invalid when dunked in ocean water is a significant lurking danger.

Luffy almost dies 3/4 times in this season just from not being able to even swim at the level of a thrashing drowning man.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Well, I did not expect to like this nearly as much as I did! I'm not an anime guy, and I was worried this was gonna be too zany and weird to enjoy, but the acting and the production values just sold the zaniness so well.

I wish this was more approachable, but I'm not gonna get involved with a thousand episode anime series. I guess I might as well just hit the wikis for my lingering questions? Gonna be a good few years before we get any more of this I'd imagine. :(

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Phenotype posted:

Well, I did not expect to like this nearly as much as I did! I'm not an anime guy, and I was worried this was gonna be too zany and weird to enjoy, but the acting and the production values just sold the zaniness so well.

I wish this was more approachable, but I'm not gonna get involved with a thousand episode anime series. I guess I might as well just hit the wikis for my lingering questions? Gonna be a good few years before we get any more of this I'd imagine. :(

https://readme-onepiece.com

The first twelve volumes of the comic (or what was adapted for the show) are available free online right now in celebration of the Netflix launch. It’s definitely the best way to keep the train rolling by going back to the source; more involved than just wikiing what happens but way easier to dig into than watching the anime.

And if you do get sucked in, for just three bucks a month you can sign up for the online Shonen Jump reader which has the entire series.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fucker posted:

he doesnt get more general focus and does not tie in closer with kaya at all (lol is this ab the kiss or something?)
ur reaching really hard here. there is no exchange

Usopp knows the servant tunnels, which is how they avoid Kuro in the lock down. He also refuses to leave Kaya after her slap, an upgrade from the other versions. His relationship with Kaya is also upgraded from dude who tells amusing stories, to friend who lies a lot. He's also key to bringing the Marines to the mansion which is a key part of the adaptation. They kept his Boy Who Cried Wolf shtick, and made him equally or more pivotal to getting the Strawhats involved with Kaya. He also gets an expanded role of jokey guy who helps bring the crew together throughout the rest of the season.

The main change in focus was cutting out Jango as well as Usopp's "crew". He still saves Kaya, but instead shows one of his rare flashes of bravery/determination by refusing to leave her alone with the pirates instead of running away after getting slapped.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can see why they cut the character who is a clear visual reference to Michael Jackson. As a bonus I always thought the existence of Jango was the most egregious hole in Kuro's plan (because why didn't he just get Jango to hypnotise Kaya to give him her money rather than spend 3 years playing butler)

e: I'd say the new 'plothole' is that killing Merry raises the question of why Kuro didn't make sure to finish the job with Zoro. Although you could make the same complaint about almost every One Piece villain given how often Luffy gets captured

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 3, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Phenotype posted:

Will warn that the wiki's don't do the story justice and is probably the worst way to consume the story. A lot of the charm and impressiveness of this tale is how well Oda weaves characters in and out, both major and minor. You can read the wiki for Crocodile, but if you don't also read about his henchmen Mr.3 or Mr.2 you'll miss a lot of what makes the series so special.

Game of Thrones is the only comparison I can think of that tracks it as well, but this story has only ramped up in quality as it enters the end game.

Just read a few volumes of the comic!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll just wait for the next season of this show tbh

If it gets canceled well I’ll just assume they all died

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Gyges posted:

Usopp knows the servant tunnels, which is how they avoid Kuro in the lock down. He also refuses to leave Kaya after her slap, an upgrade from the other versions. His relationship with Kaya is also upgraded from dude who tells amusing stories, to friend who lies a lot. He's also key to bringing the Marines to the mansion which is a key part of the adaptation. They kept his Boy Who Cried Wolf shtick, and made him equally or more pivotal to getting the Strawhats involved with Kaya. He also gets an expanded role of jokey guy who helps bring the crew together throughout the rest of the season.

The main change in focus was cutting out Jango as well as Usopp's "crew". He still saves Kaya, but instead shows one of his rare flashes of bravery/determination by refusing to leave her alone with the pirates instead of running away after getting slapped.

he ran away because kayas people were chasing him and gonna arrest him and merry was literally about to shoot him lol as opposed to him talking to kaya by herself and getting to stay in her room at night before poo poo conveniently hits the fan a few minutes later. upgrade my rear end

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phenotype posted:

for you and anyone else new to the series, Viz has a subscription service for $3 a month that lets you read 100 chapters of anything in their catalog per day including One Piece, it's seriously my most valued subscriptions service. 100 chapters a day is way more than most people realistically need to read, and it'd let you read the entirety of OP in a couple weeks either on desktop or via the app. without having to drop hundreds of dollars on over a hundred volumes of manga.

The anime was pretty solid up until it first caught up to the manga, then it started falling into filler and padding hell. don't watch the anime. apparently over the last year or two things have gotten a lot better and the anime has had much more of a budget, but I was so burned by how they adapted some of the best arcs of the series that I've never gone back.

and imo OP is the sort of series where it's daunting to see the length of it, but by the time you catch up you tend to feel regret that there's not more of it.

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll just wait for the next season of this show tbh

If it gets canceled well I’ll just assume they all died
they never said there'd be more than these eight, right? might as well knuckle down and get to reading if you enjoyed the show. The live action adaptation is literally just the prologue of the series.

e:

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Will warn that the wiki's don't do the story justice and is probably the worst way to consume the story. A lot of the charm and impressiveness of this tale is how well Oda weaves characters in and out, both major and minor. You can read the wiki for Crocodile, but if you don't also read about his henchmen Mr.3 or Mr.2 you'll miss a lot of what makes the series so special.
also his brilliant use of chapter title pages as a way to have simultaneous small storylines following characters not currently being focused on so you get to see a view of what else is going on in the world. legit one of the best parts of OP.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 3, 2023

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
the anime is p good for all of the parts of the story that this season adapts. howemstever its still 32 hours of a show vs just 8, so :sweatdrop:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fucker posted:

the anime is p good for all of the parts of the story that this season adapts. howemstever its still 32 hours of a show vs just 8, so :sweatdrop:
oh yeah the anime was really good for, like you said, this section. however, there's a very stark moment during the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc where they very clearly caught up to the manga. There is literally a climactic moment that cuts away to a flashback filler arc because they don't have any more manga to adapt, and from then on it gets worse for like 15 years of the anime. there are of course great moments they adapted in animation form, but unfortunately the padding and filler completely ruined it because they switched to a format of adapting each 19 page chapter into an entire 22~ minute episode, which is hellish for pacing

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
theres also that One Pace site that tells you the optimal way to watch the anime and skip all the filler eps. Wish I found that site before I watched like 80-90 eps

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/The_MJF/status/1698021290160840843?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This absolute motherfucker :lol:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Captain Invictus posted:

oh yeah the anime was really good for, like you said, this section. however, there's a very stark moment during the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc where they very clearly caught up to the manga. There is literally a climactic moment that cuts away to a flashback filler arc because they don't have any more manga to adapt, and from then on it gets worse for like 15 years of the anime. there are of course great moments they adapted in animation form, but unfortunately the padding and filler completely ruined it because they switched to a format of adapting each 19 page chapter into an entire 22~ minute episode, which is hellish for pacing

It cuts literally in the middle of jumping a chasm. Like, literally the apex of their jump it cuts to a clip show of how the crew met. It's darkly hilarious, and if you were week to week anime only 18 years ago it must have been hell.

If you do want to watch the anime it's very good for the first several arcs, and if you use one of the online guides to what is filler so you know what to skip it's still good for nearly 500 episodes. The question is just where you find the pacing too bad to keep going and switch to the manga.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Gyges posted:

The question is just where you find the pacing too bad to keep going and switch to the manga.

it's after sabaody. i made the mistake of continuing until the timeskip and... man. anime marineford. woof.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gyges posted:

It cuts literally in the middle of jumping a chasm. Like, literally the apex of their jump it cuts to a clip show of how the crew met. It's darkly hilarious, and if you were week to week anime only 18 years ago it must have been hell.

If you do want to watch the anime it's very good for the first several arcs, and if you use one of the online guides to what is filler so you know what to skip it's still good for nearly 500 episodes. The question is just where you find the pacing too bad to keep going and switch to the manga.

And then proceeds to reuse the same opening and ending footage for about 6 episodes. I think I honestly prefer the way the anime handles clip shows now compared to having to go through that crap again

Marineford is basically the anime pacing at its worst (though Dressrosa was a slog as well) but the show did get a little better once it hit Wano (in terms of animation if nothing else)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 4, 2023

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Wasn't expecting Helmeppo's gratuitous butt shot.

Bummed there was no Usopp Hammer, but I guess that would have been too brutal.

It was good. Most of the stuff was better than in the anime.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Captain Invictus posted:

they never said there'd be more than these eight, right? might as well knuckle down and get to reading if you enjoyed the show. The live action adaptation is literally just the prologue of the series.

e

If they get inaki to dub over luffy in either version I’ll watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Zaggitz posted:

The latter spoiler is told to you like right after Usopp joins in the manga, you just must have forgot.

Ah I guess I did forget. I will keep watching.