Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

drat, sheep man gets killed and his soul trapped in the Going Merry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

There's a good slapstick when Nami returns to them at Arlong Park and Sanji opens his arm to greet her only to look mildly rejected as she walks right past him. It's there, but it's been toned down.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I don't think it being unsubtle is necessarily a bad thing. You just have to not be tacky about it – i.e. having a fishman say "Fishman lives matter" or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGrmJHqqi4M

Kind of indifferent on the fight scenes, but they won me over in that they kept wide shots for almost all it - vs. quick cut close ups. Let's ya really enjoy the sets and most importantly follow what's going on.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Phenotype posted:

I wish this was more approachable, but I'm not gonna get involved with a thousand episode anime series. I guess I might as well just hit the wikis for my lingering questions? Gonna be a good few years before we get any more of this I'd imagine. :(

Will warn that the wiki's don't do the story justice and is probably the worst way to consume the story. A lot of the charm and impressiveness of this tale is how well Oda weaves characters in and out, both major and minor. You can read the wiki for Crocodile, but if you don't also read about his henchmen Mr.3 or Mr.2 you'll miss a lot of what makes the series so special.

Game of Thrones is the only comparison I can think of that tracks it as well, but this story has only ramped up in quality as it enters the end game.

Just read a few volumes of the comic!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

socialsecurity posted:

I do like how they had an early Luffy/Garp fight and they didn't let Luffy have an inch on him.

Same w/ Mihawk, tho that was a 1:1 translation from the comics. OP does a better job with power scaling than any other comic series I've read, more or less staying consistent from early on. Story spoilers beyond what's shown in the show: Crew chumps the East Blue, and then mostly gets by through quirks (rubber vs. an electric power) in the early Grand Line until they get wiped out when actual big players show up.

Was super pleased that that seems to be maintained in this adaption.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK I'm starting to not believe "there is no filler" if things like this are considered important

Some bits are less important than others, but it's a linear story with very little deviation from the main plot outside of flashbacks... but those are placed where they're immediately relevant, like is done in the show. Al the early arcs introduce Straw Hat's, or some facet of the world that comes back later in the story.

It's also the series greatest asset that the world is incredibly well connected, so, for example, a whale you meet early in the story later becomes an incredibly emotional crux for a new crew member's backstory hundreds of chapters later. Buggy will keep coming back, and in incredibly satisfying and surprising ways.

If you need to skip around to keep interest, read it however you want! But this is very much a case of journey being better than the destination, and it pays dividends to not just jump to the series halfway points.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

rip to the inbox of jamie lee curtis or her management for the next year or so.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

One Piece is an inherently goofy story with incredibly well realised relationships and some very succinct but poignet emotional beats.

Cowboy Bebop is a serious noir with some dark humor sprinkled throughout.

The former gives a lot of wiggle room for editing it down to tv-script-size. The bones are good enough that they can move Arlong around, but still hit the marks. There's also enough humor built in that you can more or less stay true to the source w/o having to inject extra stuff.

Bebop (and I still think it's way better than people give it credit for, slightly above doctor who quality sci-fi) probably would have worked if they'd been more true to the source material. They tried to inject a bunch of humor, but it was awful and mostly fell flat. & the Vicious cutaways were bewildering in direction and writing.

But ultimately, Bebop was a tight, really, really solid tv show already. One Piece has the anime, but there's a billion episodes of it, and of all varying quality. The live-action doesn't really have something to as easily compare it against.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm glad that I finally have the motivation to push through the manga now and I'm enjoying the actual plot relevant stuff but this isn't even close to the best manga or comic I've ever read. It's very good for what it is though

Godspeed on your voyage!

Curious how far you are into the story? I don't think it's a spoiler to note that it's pretty universally agreed the comic is great up until a point where it explodes and then never really takes it foot off the gas. Wondering if you've reached that yet or are still working towards it.

Fucker posted:

you cant have poo poo be as exaggerated cause itd be hella annoying in live action but u could do funnier writing. there were some funny lines in the show like when buggy talked but they were few and far between

"Hey kid, you want to get tall really really fast" got a laugh from me.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

If you do Little Garden, you have to have Zoro deciding he has to cut his legs off // deciding to die in a heroic pose. One of the most memorable gags of the series.

HPanda posted:

Gonna be real interesting to see how they handle all of that. Badass drag queen maybe? Similar character but having that part not played for laughs at him, but instead with him?

While the series definitely has stepped in it with presenting these folk, Mr.2 feels like one of the safer ones. He looks silly, but if memory serves he's befriends and is dancing with the crew in mere panels after his intro. & thereafter he's almost entirely presented as a badass, going toe to toe with his ability to kick against Sanji.

It'd probably cause more of a controversy if they cut him or toned down his outfits or personality.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I did have a friend note that she was enjoying One Piece, but was really annoyed with Oda's continuation and emphasis of a manga tradition of women turning into hags once they turn 50 or so. Wasn't something I'd clocked as much as how ridiculous he draws the female strawhats or the Okama folk, but it's certainly there.

LA doesn't have to really worry about that, at least.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's a disservice to call it laziness, the man knows full well what parts he's emphasising. And a lot of the designs are still unique enough that you're not gonna struggle too hard to tell two female characters apart.

If you want to see sameface, check out Detective Conan, where every mystery is required to use 6 of the 10 stock character styles that fella can draw.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

God speed Jamie. Top comment there is the show runner so hey, seems pretty dang likely if the money's there.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 22, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gyges posted:

Garp, Kuro, and Mihawk are using just normal everyday super powers. Anyone can do it if they train hard enough. Kuro isn't even properly using his ability. Also Garp hasn't even begun to flex.

Just to add to this, they do elaborate on what these people are doing later on in the series.Without spoiling the specifics of it, just know that eventually there's an explanation of how a non-devil fruit user can still fight toe-to-toe with something who, for example, can turn their body into potato chips. & it doesn't feel like a cope out, which is nice.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

quote:

So what we did was actually recorded the lyrics “chop-chop!” so that whenever you see Buggy there is a really fast riff going “chop-chop chop-chop” in the actual music. If you pay close attention, you will literally hear “chop-chop”!

This will be fun to see if they keep up. Ssssssand. Ssssssssand.

And laughing that a twelve-string guitar is as large as they're imagining. Fly em down to the New South Wales!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKeqpV7jJBU

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 30, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Hey writers can talk about things again. Interview with the showrunner:

https://deadline.com/2023/10/one-piece-showrunner-matt-owens-season-2-interview-jamie-lee-curtis-1235563095/

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

An anime OP adaption I might watch. The anime has never appealed to me due to the age, pacing and fact that they caught up to the comic so fast.

Attack on Titan story went to poo poo, but the anime was an astounding visual improvement over the comic - that tbf was already pretty good. Looking forward to whatever they do, but hope they don't go full FMA:Brotherhood and condense the first arcs too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Still feel a little bad for the cast that the strike landed right on top of the show being released so they couldn't do the full press tour for it. Charismatic bunch.