Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One Piece's artstyle has pretty much three reactions

- you're put off by it and give up and never go back ever again
- you're completely fine with it from the get go
- you gave up due to the artstyle for a long time but you keep having friends who Can't Shut The gently caress Up About One Piece who eventually pique your interest again and you power through until you eventually get used to the style and realize that they were right all along :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the flashbacks range from brief(Zoro's) to extremely long(some are a volume or more in length). the flashbacks early on are certainly less interesting in most cases(barring Nami's) and I think it'd be difficult to adapt them satisfactorily in such a truncated series like this to begin with, so it's not surprising they're not really hitting with some folks.

One Piece loving loves its flashbacks, the series as a whole has pretty significant ones that do an excellent job to establish settings and hierarchies of the world, which often pay off hundreds of chapters down the road. I like to say Oda has "Chekhov's Arsenal", because he's always planning a ton of things that don't come into play until much, much later.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my dude it's just a cartoonish style. it's not an "acid trip" or "demented fairytale for hyperactive children"

loving goons lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phenotype posted:

Well, I did not expect to like this nearly as much as I did! I'm not an anime guy, and I was worried this was gonna be too zany and weird to enjoy, but the acting and the production values just sold the zaniness so well.

I wish this was more approachable, but I'm not gonna get involved with a thousand episode anime series. I guess I might as well just hit the wikis for my lingering questions? Gonna be a good few years before we get any more of this I'd imagine. :(
for you and anyone else new to the series, Viz has a subscription service for $3 a month that lets you read 100 chapters of anything in their catalog per day including One Piece, it's seriously my most valued subscriptions service. 100 chapters a day is way more than most people realistically need to read, and it'd let you read the entirety of OP in a couple weeks either on desktop or via the app. without having to drop hundreds of dollars on over a hundred volumes of manga.

The anime was pretty solid up until it first caught up to the manga, then it started falling into filler and padding hell. don't watch the anime. apparently over the last year or two things have gotten a lot better and the anime has had much more of a budget, but I was so burned by how they adapted some of the best arcs of the series that I've never gone back.

and imo OP is the sort of series where it's daunting to see the length of it, but by the time you catch up you tend to feel regret that there's not more of it.

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll just wait for the next season of this show tbh

If it gets canceled well I’ll just assume they all died
they never said there'd be more than these eight, right? might as well knuckle down and get to reading if you enjoyed the show. The live action adaptation is literally just the prologue of the series.

e:

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Will warn that the wiki's don't do the story justice and is probably the worst way to consume the story. A lot of the charm and impressiveness of this tale is how well Oda weaves characters in and out, both major and minor. You can read the wiki for Crocodile, but if you don't also read about his henchmen Mr.3 or Mr.2 you'll miss a lot of what makes the series so special.
also his brilliant use of chapter title pages as a way to have simultaneous small storylines following characters not currently being focused on so you get to see a view of what else is going on in the world. legit one of the best parts of OP.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 3, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fucker posted:

the anime is p good for all of the parts of the story that this season adapts. howemstever its still 32 hours of a show vs just 8, so :sweatdrop:
oh yeah the anime was really good for, like you said, this section. however, there's a very stark moment during the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc where they very clearly caught up to the manga. There is literally a climactic moment that cuts away to a flashback filler arc because they don't have any more manga to adapt, and from then on it gets worse for like 15 years of the anime. there are of course great moments they adapted in animation form, but unfortunately the padding and filler completely ruined it because they switched to a format of adapting each 19 page chapter into an entire 22~ minute episode, which is hellish for pacing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TriffTshngo posted:

it's after sabaody. i made the mistake of continuing until the timeskip and... man. anime marineford. woof.
I remember someone actually cut together a montage of Luffy running and screaming [a character]'s name. it was like 18 minutes long, of just him running and screaming. just shameful production, we're given the opportunity to see one of the most insane battles in any anime/manga ever and they don't even bother to give it a shoestring budget, so they just reuse animation and still shots and it's just awful

Marineford was the part of the anime where I legit just swore off the anime forever after hopping back in specifically for that arc, and stuck with the manga. I've seen some amazingly-animated clips from the current anime seasons that are seriously amazing, but I won't go back. Marineford was the bridge burning

CelticPredator posted:

If they get inaki to dub over luffy in either version I’ll watch it
use the theater of your mind to have his voice read out luffy's dialogue in the manga

Count Thrashula posted:

The live action story goes up to chapter 95 of the manga, but considering it's up to nearly 1100 chapters yeah I guess that's just the beginning.

Edit-- ah I didn't realize it's only about half of the first season of the anime.
there is a specific part right after here that is a very "tutorial's over, fellas" moment.

e:

The Kingfish posted:

This is anime chat, but am I alone in thinking that Sky Island was insanely too long?
week to week it was a bit long, but it has some truly all-timer moments in it, and the setting is just so amazingly unique, that I still think it's a great arc. It's completely standalone but also gives some great overall world building while the Strawhats fumble around, and the main villain is pretty great. Didn't watch the anime version though, so it might've not been great.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 4, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HPanda posted:

It's a very large budget for what is likely a comparatively limited audience.

it's the best-selling comic in the world(superman's in the lead but only as single issues, while one piece is almost on par with it but in VOLUMES), it's got quite the audience.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there has been fairly incredible word of mouth from what I've seen. lots of youtubers, from Geoff Thew to Moistcr1tikal and plenty of others, are getting the word out that actually this show rules.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CapnAndy posted:

Okay I was not really clear on how a pretty basic story like "search the world, find treasure" could get stretched for 1000+ chapters without just bullshit levels of padding and wheel-spinning, but Jesus Christ. Plot gets pretty loving far afield from where it starts out, I guess?
to say One Piece is a "Grand Adventure" is an understatement. It's got lots of fun creative Shonen battles, but it also has quite a bit of excellent expanding on the larger world beyond the strawhat pirates, and also the ramifications of their adventures. such as them taking out one baddie creating a huge power vacuum that causes a bunch of lesser pirates kept in check to start causing mayhem trying to claim the territory previously controlled by the defeated bad guy.

It is a little hosed up that socialsecurity just dropped that untagged in the thread for this show that doesnt even cover the full prologue though

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 6, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hell yeah let's go muppet chopper

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
But I can definitely see how it looks weirder to someone unfamiliar with future events.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My very first SA avatar was buggy the clown, and I wore him proudly for years even before he came back years later in the story to be cumulatively increasingly awesome with every appearance

Buggy is my favorite non-strawhat even now

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Doc Fission posted:

Also worth saying, not in the least as a girl often in despair, the scene where Nami asks Luffy to help her is really beautiful. Both actors knock it out of the park, and also god drat, what a cool thing that I surely must take for granted in media if it surprised me so much: someone in a genuinely desperate situation asks point blank for help and then someone else says, hell yeah. No ego, no questions asked. Possibly this is a credit to Luffy as a character, I guess. There's nothing cloying or condescending about it. Hard to describe why I liked it so much, but it really moved me.
this is generally agreed to be one of if not THE main scene of the series that "sold" it to most people reading the manga or watching the anime. Arlong Park in general is great but that scene is so perfectly done, and it's only the first of many incredible emotional beats

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
honestly the thing that worries me the most about his health is his smoking. this is his work desk. note the ashtray crammed full of cigarettes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also it rules so much that Shaolin Soccer is the reason live action one piece happened

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Lucy and the football but the football is contract renewal

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Halloween costumes have long since shipped out to retailers, if they've not been sent out from china by like, midsummer, it's too late

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, one of my bigger complaints about one piece is that nami and a future crew member rarely if ever get fights of their own. nami has had a few during its run and they were usually very good(the one from the next arc is great), and the other character gets exactly one major fight of their own in the entire series until recently, and it's one of my favorites of them all, so it's a shame they don't get more time to fight.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Skypiea is such a fascinating arc to talk about because until Fishman Island and Dressrosa it was almost unanimously the most divisive arc in the entire series. Some people loving HATED it, some people loving LOVED it(me), some people consider it filler because it didn't "connect" to anything at the time, it was basically a standalone adventure. But it's such a creative setting that I could never hate it, and the storytelling is fantastic in all the ways One Piece excels. It also has probably the single most famous panel in all of one piece. And the mechanisms introduced during it giving Usopp more utility beyond just his slingshot and skullduggery and Nami some upgrades as well was incredibly important for them as characters imo.

So, season 2. what do folks think they'll cut, and what will they get to? I am really curious if they can cover all of Alabasta in another 8-episode season like the first one. All of Drum Island would probably be 2 episodes on its own, right? Other than that, you've got Loguetown to still cover from East Blue, then Reverse Mountain, Whiskey Peak, Little Garden, and Alabasta itself, encompassing 122 chapters total. Would it go Loguetown 1 episode, Reverse Mountain + Whiskey Peak 1 episode, Little Garden 1 episode, Drum Island 2 episodes, Alabasta 3 episodes? I could see that possibly working. There's a lot to cover in Alabasta though, and I really wouldn't want them to cut out basically any of the fights, they're all so good.

I really, really don't want them to, but I think they might cut Little Garden entirely. It's got some fairly important parts to it but it'd be one of those financial nightmares considering everything involved with it would require a lot of special effects.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 18, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CelticPredator posted:

They should just do four seasons and find some kind of an ending to whole thing because there’s no way they’re getting 12 seasons.
if it's owned by the studio and not Netflix, I no longer think it is doomed to only be 1 or 2 seasons. If they can shop it around to potential buyers with the pedigree it has from just the first season, then I'm thinking it can get at least five seasons.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I did have a friend note that she was enjoying One Piece, but was really annoyed with Oda's continuation and emphasis of a manga tradition of women turning into hags once they turn 50 or so. Wasn't something I'd clocked as much as how ridiculous he draws the female strawhats or the Okama folk, but it's certainly there.

LA doesn't have to really worry about that, at least.
everyone except for Dr kureha

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah. You can either start from the beginning to see how it played out in the original version, or pick up from around chapter 90 or so to wrap up arlong park and move on from there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One Piece Live Action: Jamie Lee Curtis and her Muppet Son must be the name of the next season's thread

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm sure that would be toned down in the live action, apparently Sanji is also a bit more pervy than in live action where he is just a harmless flirt.

It's just so weird there are these cool characters and then have them immediately do behaviors that make them unlikable! I mean I guess that's juxtaposition.

I also realize this is a product of its time and made dealing with familiar character archetypes to what the author grew up with because they are well established in the genre. I can't really be mad at it, but just annoyed enough at it that while I am greatly looking forward to more of this show, I don't think the anime or probably the manga versions are for me.
of all the "humorous" things in the series, Sanji being a pervert and Brook asking to see ladie's panties are the two worst running gags of them all. I guess with Brook, it is initially representative of him being isolated and lost at sea on a ship for fifty years, and so EVERY part of his normal manners have long since left him as he slowly went insane from isolation, as represented by all the other things he does when he meets the first new people in 50 years, from acting like a child at the dinner table to burping and farting whenever he wants but then he KEEPS DOING IT and so it becomes a constant lame gimmick.

Sanji is literally my least favorite strawhat because of his pervert gimmick. He has some unbelievably good fights and dramatic moments throughout the series, but ALWAYS returns to being a creep. It gets even worse and even becomes a plot point much later in the series, which sucks even more! I really hate it because he is SO COOL a lot of the time, and yes I get that that's the gimmick, that he can be incredibly awesome and stylish but then be a disgusting perv at other times, but it's basically never funny. There's maybe one time I chuckled at it ever, where he's told by a doctor "NO DON'T GO IN [room full of beautiful women], YOU'VE ALREADY LOST TOO MUCH BLOOD, YOU'LL DIE!" and he just kinda salutes and is like "farewell, my friends" and goes in and "dies". other than that it's never been funny

None of the other characters have that sort of terrible creep gimmick, thankfully.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
strong world is a really loving dumb fun movie. it's not the best of the one piece movies but it's probably the most fun one I've watched.

this is how the bad guy introduces himself after kidnapping nami.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfjKcneQf3s&hd=1

he chopped his legs off to escape prison and replaced them with swords and just walks around on swords all day. he also has part of a steering wheel lodged in his skull

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had a dream where there was a news report that they had confirmed that chopper would be played by a person using prosthetics.

I kinda want to see that now. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a human trying to do reindeer form regardless of the quality of prosthetics would be an absolute horror show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
"my nose is caught in your hair"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv-KNABTu3U&hd=1

more blooper reels need to be released, for everything.