Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
This group stage is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

oh dear Canada forgot how to shoot

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.
Latvia gooning it up

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Schröder on his way to another all tournament team selection. Germany has been really good through the first 3 games.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Latvia is balling

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
SGA is getting to the rim at will right now

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

SGA had enough

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

where’s Zagars?? He was cooking

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Hang the Group Stage Winner banner in arenas from St John's to Victoria.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Ingram and Hart swapped lineups and all of a sudden, the 1st team and 2nd team both look better. Ingram even had five assists!

https://sports.yahoo.com/2023-fiba-world-cup-lineup-change-fast-start-spur-team-usas-dominant-win-over-jordan-121210452.html

quote:

Ingram looked far more comfortable playing among the reserves after largely residing in the corner for much of the offense alongside Team USA’s starters. There’s a noticeably zippier pace that Tyrese Haliburton attempts to establish compared to Brunson’s more methodical probing off the bounce. And on two plays, Ingram was the one driving left and finding Haliburton all alone in the right corner for a wide-open triple.

Ingram told Yahoo Sports that Kerr informed him of the lineup change Wednesday morning.

“They thought it was a better fit for me playing with Tyrese and playing with some guys that are a little less ball dominant than Jalen and Ant,” Ingram said. “They just talked about it being a better fit, and I agreed with them.”

Kibner fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 30, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They were also playing Jordan.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

They were also playing Jordan.

They've played other bad teams in the past month and the first team still looked terrible.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

quote:

“I think we’re gonna win,” Edwards said after one of the better player performances at a FIBA World Cup podium in recent memory.

“We’re unbeaten also,” he said because the questioner pointed out that Lithuania did not lose in pool play, either. “So yeah, I think we got a great chance to win. We’ve got a great coaching staff, we’ve got great players. Our confidence is at an all-time high. We’re not really worried about those guys.”
:allears: Oh Ant

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

USA's group 2 is Lithuania, Montenegro and Greece. That seems like a rough group.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

USA is going to be eliminated by Vooch.

fuckplaneoq
May 27, 2004

from the rough we get par
Soiled Meat
This multiple group round stuff is confusing. Like, I think the US could lose both of their games in this round and still go through as long as they don't lose by too much and Greece beats Montenegro by the correct amount

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I don’t understand this format. Especially since Greece was also in the first round group. Plus there’s a loser’s bracket?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah I don’t understand this format. Especially since Greece was also in the first round group. Plus there’s a loser’s bracket?

Every group is 2 teams from 2 groups. You only play 2 games against the new opponents in Round 2, so US won't play Greece.

Losers Bracket are out but they need to play for FIBA points and qualifications. So its more of a seperate tournament.

So the teams have 2 more games and that will determine seeding for a single elimination bracket.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lockback posted:

Losers Bracket are out but they need to play for FIBA points and qualifications. So its more of a seperate tournament.

So the teams have 2 more games and that will determine seeding for a single elimination bracket.

Yeah, for a little extra detail:

I don't think anyone is too fussed about FIBA points other than for pride, but qualification part is the big tangible thing. Only 2 teams from the Americas qualify for the Olympics so if say the US, DR and Canada all make the quarter finals and lose, then they need to play out the string to see who the top two are.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Don't the Fiba points also qualify you for other tournaments too? I thought your placing could drop you out or get you into future tournaments.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lockback posted:

Don't the Fiba points also qualify you for other tournaments too? I thought your placing could drop you out or get you into future tournaments.

Not sure, but maybe. I know rankings affect seeding for how groups are drawn which I guess could be a big deal.

Not sure if it's the same in basketball, but in other international sports actual qualification is handled on court/field/ice but rankings affect stuff like lower ranks might have to play an extra pre-qualifying round or something. But I'm guessing even if that was the case anyone good enough to qualify for the world Cup has enough banked that they don't have to worry about that level as much.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Australia vs Slovenia is going to be a cracker tonight, Olympic bronze rematch, Australia need to win to go through, hell yea

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Banchero 😮‍💨

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Blowing up here

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
2 close games here so far, not sure which ones more surprising

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

why doesn’t Vucevic play like this more often

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Brunson is the worst player on the court

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
“You guard the big guy”

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
That was pretty nice

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Simone Simone Simone Fontecchio :discourse:

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Credit to Montenegro, kept it close and competitive for most of the game

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Pattys pumped for this

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Slovenia probably can’t shoot like this forever but Australia is helping

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
way to overreact

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Well that was disappointing

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Olynyk being a little goblin goon in FIBA too

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Canada has finally found an opposing team that plays as annoying defense as they do. And Bruno is looking BUFF

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

BWV posted:

Canada has finally found an opposing team that plays as annoying defense as they do. And Bruno is looking BUFF

Bruno (still) looks good. I'm tempted to say he should get another serious shot in the NBA, but I've been burnt by him before.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

dokmo posted:

Bruno (still) looks good. I'm tempted to say he should get another serious shot in the NBA, but I've been burnt by him before.

Dokmo sadly setting the years away counter back to 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Canada with a Raptors-like final two minutes.