Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Smeef posted:

Are there shaping up to be any good games next weekend (Sept 1-3)? When will the matchups be set? I'm struggling to predict it using the FIBA website.

I can make it to pretty much any of them in Manila or Okinawa but I don't wanna sit in Manila traffic for half the weekend to watch China and South Sudan play.

The exact games might not be set til the 30th but you can get a pretty good idea of the teams involved.

Okinawa will have the top 2 teams from Groups E & F which should probably be Germany, Australia, Slovenia and IDK Venezuela or Georgia.

Jakarta will have Groups G & H which should be Germany, Brazil, Canada and France.

Everything else is in Manilla so the top 2 in Groups A&B will face off and the top in C&D wil play.

The wiki page has a pretty detailed breakdown of who plays who in the later rounds if you go down to the format section.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_FIBA_Basketball_World_Cup

Best bets for games seem like C1 which will probably be Team USA games and F1 is probably going to get Doncic vs. Aus/Germany barring major upsets.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lockback posted:

Losers Bracket are out but they need to play for FIBA points and qualifications. So its more of a seperate tournament.

So the teams have 2 more games and that will determine seeding for a single elimination bracket.

Yeah, for a little extra detail:

I don't think anyone is too fussed about FIBA points other than for pride, but qualification part is the big tangible thing. Only 2 teams from the Americas qualify for the Olympics so if say the US, DR and Canada all make the quarter finals and lose, then they need to play out the string to see who the top two are.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lockback posted:

Don't the Fiba points also qualify you for other tournaments too? I thought your placing could drop you out or get you into future tournaments.

Not sure, but maybe. I know rankings affect seeding for how groups are drawn which I guess could be a big deal.

Not sure if it's the same in basketball, but in other international sports actual qualification is handled on court/field/ice but rankings affect stuff like lower ranks might have to play an extra pre-qualifying round or something. But I'm guessing even if that was the case anyone good enough to qualify for the world Cup has enough banked that they don't have to worry about that level as much.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jamaal Murray launching 3s would also go a long way towards solving the collapse on Shai defences.