Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

It’s a competitive division again, so honestly it’s really tough to predict in what order the top three teams will finish ahead of the Raiders.

Also, I believe in Broncos fullback Michael Burton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

kiimo posted:

If the Broncos are a bust again do you think they blame Russell or Payton

Roster’s got serious depth issues at WR and O-line (at least on paper). Russ definitely chilled with the “let’s ride” media blitz and dropped like 20lbs. So he’s at least put in the work so far.

It’s really going to depend on how Russ looks and what Payton can do with the team he’s been handed. I think culpability/pressure looks like:

1. Russ
2. Joseph
3. Paton
4. Payton

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 27, 2023

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Substandard posted:

Payton will definitely throw Russ under the bus if given the opportunity.

As a Broncos fan the possibility of an accurate throw excites me.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Still mad at the chiefs RT no calls

Dude was practically lined up in the stands and has already started the first snap of the next game.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Russ did fine. Like…not a “put the game on your shoulders” performance. But he played…fine.

What’s missing?

I hate everything.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Withnail posted:

No he didn't, he was complete poo poo. He doesn't even looks like he wants to be playing.

He was 27 for 34, with 2 TDs and no ints. Decent QBR. He was also far more mobile than at any point in the season last year, and looked good when out of the pocket. He wasn’t the reason the Broncos lost that game.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

kiimo posted:

What does this even mean

I don’t know someone can come away from yesterday’s game thinking Russ didn’t look a thousand times better than last season. More mobile, quicker decision making, protected the ball, threw for a couple of TDs.

Last season the dude just looked lost. Every game.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Listening to The Fan now, and Brandon Stokley shares everyone’s concern that Russell Wilson is not in fact, Peyton Manning.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

27/34 for less than 200 yards is some Kyle Orton poo poo

He played fine.

https://youtu.be/bHdiLqeHgnM?si=h_QHSxzrPuZpKI0K

Bigger issue is having a defense that let the Raiders eat clock with 5 minutes left, no Jeudy, and no kicker.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

This was probably the game that sealed Paton’s fate.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The more I look at it, the more I’m convinced the Broncos are just a team without any depth/dynamism. Paton mortgaged the team to get Russ, it backfired, we’re stuck paying for it for five years. Playing “fine” is okay when you have the rest of an actual team around you, but Russ doesn’t and that means if he doesn’t step up, there’s no one else. We saw flashes of that with the bombs to Mims. But…there just isn’t enough playmaking ability on the rest of the squad and definitely not on the defensive side of the ball outside of PS2.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Move the new stadium to Bennett.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Me, outside Wade Phillips’ house rn

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

The broncos aren’t “lose to the bears” bad. Let alone by 23.

Turns out…

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm glad the Broncos are proving me wrong. :3:

Hot take: barely winning a game like this is worse than losing because it forestalls a course correction.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I'd like to play the receiver rating game too

Courtland Sutton: rear end
Jerry Jeudy: rear end
Marvin Mims: green
Brandon Johnson: who?
Tim Patrick: dead

Mims is responsible for 1.5 turnovers today so maybe downgrade to green/rear end.

That said: what’s the plan for this team? I don’t want to hear Russ, or Payton, or VJ or whoever say “we need to be better.”

Yeah. No poo poo! That’s literally how sports works! You do better than the other team, or you take enough PEDs to make up the difference.

What’s the fuckin’ plan for this team?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

This thread is a land of contrasts.

LiquidFriend posted:

More or less I think that's why Payton is making 0 changes. Make it painfully obvious to the owners it's time to rebuild.

Chris James 2 posted:

Which is fun because I don't think Payton wants to be around for a rebuild and Russ won't make one easy

Also, “rebuild” is not a plan. Rebuild how? Into what? On what time horizon?

More importantly, my point is that we need to hear it from one of Penner/Payton/Paton.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

In todays edition of “least surprising news ever”

https://twitter.com/kelbermannfl/status/1712508530140303383

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 12, 2023

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What’s the plan if Broncos pick at No. 2? We 100% don’t start a rebuild with a receiver. Move back and grab some extra picks or what?

Watching the Tim Jenkins breakdown today and he’s not kind to anyone.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

The D did alright last night, but it was thursday and weird stuff happens.

KC was screwing around for much the game.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I was really worried Jeudy got injured before the deadline.

https://twitter.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1716230847865438476

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

KJ with four games.

https://x.com/mikeklis/status/1716552971276669045

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I, for one, never doubted Jerry Jeudy.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I am very concerned this is a reverse Samson situation for the AFCW.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Simplex posted:

I think it was a sloppy mistake filled game that could only be enjoyed by football degenerates and desperate fools.

I’m sorry if Russ’s cooking is too spicy for you.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Second place in the AFCW and IN THE HUNT! :woop:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Playerless rebuild is going swimmingly.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

solarjetman posted:

They'd be a lot better if they had a reasonably good receiver to line up across from Sutton - Jeudy is still unreliable, Mims is still mostly playing like a rookie, and the other guys are just mediocre athletes.

Our WR1 and WR2 are Sutton’s right and left arms, respectively.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I just turned this game on. lol what kind of team allows 63 points?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It's crazy how fast things change in the division. Just a year ago I thought the Broncos would be bottom barrel for eternity and a year before that I thought they'd be top tier. Now I'm comfortably in the middle but it's a wild ride.

“Call a rebuild. But not for me.”

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

solarjetman posted:

That the Broncos are screwed for this year and next has been fait accompli since around week 5 of last year. They just traded too much for too little, and ended up with a roster with very few players whose output is above their market rate. If every Bronco was a free agent next year, who would get a higher salary? Surtain, Meinerz, maybe Bonitto or Mims. Jerry Jeudy being a bust didn't help either.

It seems clear that this was a financial decision, plus a desire to evaluate whether Stidham can be a caretaker starter with which to develop a rookie. The questions in my mind are: how involved was ownership? Is George Paton gone as well? Are they going to treat the cap like Payton's Saints did, or think longer term?

Agree.

Russ continues to play mostly “fine” which simply isn’t good enough to take the cap hit in ‘25. And, as you said, we were planning on being awful for the next two years anyway. People need to knock it off with the “so you’re saying there’s a chance” playoff talk. Accept Russ’s cap hit as a sunk cost and move on. Find a cheaper guy to play “fine”, rebuild the rest of the roster, and stay on the lookout for options at QB.

Worth noting that Paton and Russ are the two big names still left from before the Lewis Hamilton acquisition. So with this move, I expect both to be gone next year, unless they can’t find someone who is willing to do whatever Sean Payton says.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 29, 2023

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Strong “fool me once” energy with the way Russ left Seattle in retrospect.

Woke up feeling more mad about all this. Just let Russ play. He's proven time and again that he can ball. Not to mention, he's a pillar of the community. If our current ceiling is 8-9, draft receivers and/or o-line so we can do better! We're gonna be scrappy for years to come either way; what is the harm?

Go to hell, Broncos

You gotta be more subtle here.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

2. Stay at pick 12 and draft best value regardless of position

This is where I’m at. If there’s a solid QB, grab ‘em, but since we’re at least another couple of years from being Any Good™️ I think you just start to pick up folks you think can contribute in any spot. Also, I think our O-line is about to get worse sooooo…

3 DONG HORSE posted:

dude, relax, and enjoy the playoffs first!

Kiimolimus?

(Assuming a healthy Travis Kelce, I don’t think the Chiefs exit before the AFCCG? Dolphins are sus)

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 8, 2024

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Man, I like watching Chiefs fans suffer as much as the next guy, but it feels like they should have changed the time or moved the game.

The forecasted wind chill looks dangerously cold.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 13, 2024

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fat Jesus posted:

Turnover King Josh Allen will be no match for Playoffs Patrick. Again.

Las Vegas has set the over/under on “roughing the passer” and “unnecessary roughness” flags for this game at 38.5

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Chiefs were +600 in August to win The Big Game, the best odds of any team going into the season.

They were +128 going into the Bills game, which made it close to a 50/50 bet.

“No one believed we could do it.”

Everyone. Everyone believed you could do it. It was highly believable.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I usually make it a rule not to root for teams that have beaten us in the Super Bowl, but against the Chiefs I will make an exception.

Also happy to root for hometown kid Christian McCaffrey.

49ers 27-20

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

How does a house this size only have four bedrooms? Are there a bunch of non-conforming bedrooms or something? Really gonna hurt him with the comps.

https://www.9news.com/article/sport...3b-a8543f8c2636

(Now with 100% more working link)

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 18, 2024

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think the Broncos were getting much in season for Jeudy or Simmons. Simmons is old and not on a very friendly contract and Jeudy is underwhelming.

Yeah. Moving Jeudy clears cap, makes room for Mims, and gets us a couple of late round picks. Everyone loves Simmons but he was too expensive to keep through a rebuild. He has little if any trade value, so cutting him also gives him the ability to sign with a contender. These were both solid moves.

Next question is what happens with Sutton.

https://x.com/suttoncourtland/status/1766576206952943626

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

https://x.com/sonofbum/status/1772377723211538769

Haha god I love Wade Philips.