Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Posted for possible future dunking and also for fun WR poo poo talk.

https://twitter.com/PJGreenTV/status/1695544074772648079

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

No man it sucked and I was pissed yesterday, but i have tempered my choler and brought the sanguine and phlegmatic to the fore. With my humors aligned I see that he just had a off night.

I don't want the guy cut or anything. And at least he's getting open. But I will note this can be read as an understatement.

That wasn't just a bad game, that was a bad game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ort posted:

When I was watching the chiefs receivers all mess up except MVS I was getting strong “Kelce’s not out here so someone has to step up” vibes. Like that was the message in the receiver room and it just put this crazy pressure on them and forced errors because they were trying to do too much or in their heads. You see this sometimes when a rookie gets like 2 snaps a game, too, they try to prove too much and fail.

We need a better WR coach or something.

They were getting open, that part wasn't the issue. Even on 4th and 25 there's a chance if Skyy reads that the same way Mahomes did and goes a little farther back and makes it an easier catch.

The Lions secondary is still kinda rough it seems/and or their coverage schemes are putting them in rough spots. It's week one, it's over-reaction week. We (every team) have a season to work this out.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

27/34 for less than 200 yards is some Kyle Orton poo poo

I'm going to Sophia post here (:rip:) and note that Kyle Orton had the strongest arm of a Chiefs QB other than Brodie Croyle for like 15 or 20 years there.

Not even trying to re-sign him and going back to Matt Cassel was rough on me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--It's Wabbit Season

Pron on VHS posted:

There is something up with the OL. Creed the All Pro is hiking 8-10 balls into the dirt for some reason, and our RT is lining up like a high schooler. The WRs have an excuse they are all basically young and new to KC and developing both as individuals and with Mahomes, but the OL shouldn’t gently caress up so much.

Creed may be weather related to some extent, at least that's my hope and it won't be an issue going forward. He's too good unless things get real bad with snaps so you've got to play him as long as he can figure out a shotgun snap again.

No Butt Stuff posted:

So that new Mahomes deal.

It was always coming, it'll be interesting how they sorted it out when we get details.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Dr Laurent Duvernay-Tardif officially retired.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1704852477684625603

He was on the Jets practice squad and if they couldn't find a reason to promote him to the team it was probably time. Still, one hell of a good rear end story.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What did CU and Coach Prime do?

Well they didn't give up 70 points although they were on pace to.

But they didn't score 20 either.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MrLogan posted:

I have opinions about this.

You do have many opinions about football that prove that you don't watch it.

Such as

MrLogan posted:

More accurate.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Finster Dexter posted:

yeah, same actually!

Sucks that it doesn't matter because Bills are going to win the AFC and probably the Super Bowl this year. Watching the Chiefs last night, they don't look good at all. We're done in the playoffs as soon as we hit the Bills. They're on fire.

(it's overreaction monday and a lot can change this season but I'm buckling in for a disappointing season/playoffs like I'm used to from pre-Mahomes)

I mean on the overreaction part you might want to remember how the Bills looked against the Jets. It is possible the Jets have been doomed to put a thorn in your side if you're favored to be a good team. And then look like absolute rear end against everyone else.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Sunshine posted:

It's always been hilariously sad. Best case scenario is a side grade so what's the loving point?

And it's not like Jimmy G is...durable by any means. Carr broke a leg and then stopped being good in my opinion but after he recovered he was still playing all of the games.

Injuries are hard to define, a lot of them are no one's fault. But Jimmy's played one full season (he went to the Super Bowl that year, good!) and has been injured at some point in every other one. Carr is probably a little better anyway but even if you think he's not he's showing up every week at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

That roster is just so drat depleted in general and they're stuck with Russ for at least one more year. Realistically, they really should be going pure BPA in this upcoming draft. I think Marvin Harrison Jr would make a lot of sense.

Get some prime players in place to have some help on that Offense when they do get a QB. Right now that Offensive roster just sucks out loud.

The D did alright last night, but it was thursday and weird stuff happens. I'm curious as to how bad the defensive roster is vs coaching. Like you can just look at the team play D and realize coaching is bad. Yes it is hard to cover Kelce but you don't need to just let him sit there and catch things. But other than Surtain what do you have going on for you?

Is this a situation where you could put players in a position to succeed or are you just screwed?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

First game I've intentionally skipped in years.

It wasn't...that bad for y'all. For about 3 and and a half quarters.

Then of course there was a big Chiefs return and the door slammed firmly shut right after that. So I guess if that's what you were expecting it happened. I guess I'm sure this is exactly what you were expecting.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/MecoleHardman4/status/1718781678767022378

I'm not saying you didn't do your part, but this was definitely a team effort.

Like the polar opposite of the game a couple of weeks ago, Denver was never not in control here even if they didn't win by 30.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

Skyy Moore and CEH are two of the worst skill players I have ever watched

We did live through Jon Baldwin at one time so I wouldn't go quite this far. But yes there doesn't seem to be anything worth trying to make happen with Skyy as much as they are.

I'm trying to think of the worst Chiefs running back I've seen and there are some candidates, but I don't think any of them were even remotely highly drafted in the CEH range. That's just so disappointing after damned near all of us spent an offseason talking ourselves into 'maybe it's not the best pick but he should be fun.' Spoilers: he has not been fun.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The Raiders are doing the right thing somehow but at the wrong time. It's fun.

I guess you're getting ahead of the game on the search is the upside.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Skyy did make a couple of plays yesterday.

The first short 3rd down pickup was funny because he looked as surprised as I was that he actually caught the ball and had room to turn upfield and run a little. The second was just a good route that he won and came down with it this time.

This doesn't make him good of course, but better than it's been for a bit.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ostentatious posted:

The Chiefs defense probably isnt as good as you think and the Dolphins are frauds

The Chiefs D is pretty good if the refs let a little holding go in the secondary or the pass rush gets home. They're funnily sort of good in the run game even with their best run stopping LB out.

But yeah there's nothing to read into a game in goddamned Germany really as far as how they really match up with the Dolphins I think.

...other than me being worried about this stupid offense.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm a little easier on Collinsworth than most, in that I still hate his smarmy rear end but at least he's not Troy Aikman or Phil Simms whoever your favored worst color guy ever is.

But I do swear he wasn't always mailing everything in this much and kinda did his job when he started on all of this. And...well he's not doing that anymore.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Kelce and Mahomes are skating a bit on that fumble and what was just a really bad interception that I don't think can be blamed on anyone other than Patrick in the red zone because of the MVS drop.

This was an entire team effort on offense to lose the game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

Juju was a pretty big piece last year. Easy to forget because he hurt his knee badly and wasn’t available for the playoffs and still this season he is struggling in NE but the first half of the season he was WR1 easily. 78 receptions for almost 1000 yards. Kelce also was elite last year and this year he is banged up.

Swinging and missing on MVS being a pseudo sort of usable #1 seems like the biggest difference from last year (along with Kelce just being good to very good and not goddamned great, yeah).

Almost feel like I just want them to go big more often, get those three tight end sets working. Noah Gray is...somehow sort of useful now. Blake Bell is not, but he can chip the edge--the good part--and try to leak out in the passing game well enough. And we might as well use Pacheco's crackhead self up while we can with the run.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Finster Dexter posted:

I think Matt Nagy sucks poo poo, so yeah. He sucked at Chicago. I was surprised af that he got promoted back out of the QB room.

It worked out alright more or less the last time he was OC for the Chiefs.

...He seems to have gone insane at some point in the middle there, so I have no idea how much this is him vs personnel vs bad luck. I didn't want him back after the whole completely fixated on Chicago kicking thing though, that was like a no, I don't want any part of that mind near a team I root for.

But it isn't like Andy fires anyone, he just gets them promotions. So Nagy is here until the stink wears off if it does or he gets bad enough that it's close to getting Andy fired.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think the Broncos are oddly decent this year (today's results notwithstanding).

But I was wondering how many times has Russ been pulled in blowouts during his time with the Broncos because there was simply no reason to put him back out there? I feel like it's been perhaps historically high for a guy who is 100% no doubt their starter but I have no idea how to research this.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

MVS played 60 snaps and didn’t have a catch. Taking over Skyy Moores role.

Can you believe the Chiefs starting 3 WRs to begin the season were MVS/Skyy/Toney. All 3 are unplayable right now, they shouldn’t be on any NFL roster. What the hell happened?? What a huge miss from a coaching and evaluation standpoint

I have to keep reminding myself that this is not a bad team. It's just good in a way that we are not used to since Mahomes got here. And not good enough probably for a SB run to be sure, but they're still okish.

The defense plays their rear end off, they should have won that game. The offense is not actually all that bad but repeatedly shoots themselves in the foot and Mahomes is trying to hard to make things happen and loving it up, partially when receivers aren't where they should be and partially just trying to hero ball. Which is not a good combination. WR's aside I'm not a fan of the OL this year even aside from Taylor which is a completely disastrous signing and he's going to be around for a while. But the interior guys aren't as good as they were either.

I'd like to see Nagy gone after the season is over and hopefully he never coaches again until he gets his head right. That stupid trick play on your own 12 yard line was not necessary. Everything is short to the flats from a gameplan perspective unless Mahomes dodges a sack and finds someone intermediate. It's just frustrating.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Calidus posted:

Can Chiefs get Mahomes on one of those Ohtani contracts with a bunch of deferred money that will get swapped for ownership in a decade?

I get this is a joke but they specifically cannot due to NFL rules or they probably would. He owns part of the Royals and both local soccer teams, he'd be interested in that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Simplex posted:

But if you lie, the truth is going to come out and everybody is going to think you're a liar and an rear end in a top hat.

To some extent if you were paying attention I think this has already happened to Sean Payton.

And he made it through for better or worse, so might as well run it back pretending that Jarrett Stidham gives him a chance to win games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
They could have at least manufactured a fake injury as an excuse, but I guess you'd need Russ's buy in or at least silence for that to work.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

solarjetman posted:

there has to be some politics going on.

I suddenly got a little teary eyed remembering Hue Jackson and am very sad he isn't involved in some fashion.

His record speaks for itself as a coach, but one thing he was good at was office politics and selectively leaking things to friendly press.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This was the worst one but he had another go right through his hands on a deepish route later on. That would have been a harder catch, but literally right between his hands that did not close around the ball.

He was not this bad last year, he only occasionally bothered me rather than having me question why he is ever on the field. He was never a good hands guy, but he's evolved into having whatever the receiver version is of the yips. Which may have happened during a couple of seasons in Green Bay too, which is why they're all having a nice chuckle over it. When things start going wrong for him in a season they just seem to keep going wrong.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Randomly wondered what Gehrig Deiter was up to thinking of the Chiefs. The answer is he retired before the 2022 season.

He would in no world be an answer for anything of course, he wasn't ever good enough to see the field and especially wouldn't be now. I just know Mahomes loves him and it made me think of a receiver I know he loves.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

They haven’t accepted that Blake Bell isn’t the next Kelce still, so Gray is splitting snaps with him.

I think Blake Bell is the blocking TE and they just let him leak out into routes now and then. Gray is the next Kelce in this imagined scenario but, you know, obviously he isn't and no one else will be.

But I agree he's about the 3rd or 4th best target on the team. It is not the ideal situation to be in.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

3. Bring back CFL Most Outstanding Player and Grey Cup Champion Chad Kelly for 2024

More Chad Kelly shenanigans would be very fun. For me that is.

I like to think he did well in the CFL because Canadians are all like 'welp, that's just how the boy is' and they put up with everything that goes along with him. I don't know if he got into any trouble up there or not, but this is my headcanon that he's still loving everything other than football about his life up.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

Remember last season when Skyy fumbled like 4 punts across the season. This guy brings absolutely nothing to the table, and has the MVAss quality of actually hurting the team when he’s playing

I guess I don't want him cut right now because who the hell else is there, but I really don't want to see him on the field again. Maybe he can do scout team stuff and help out in some fashion.

I think the punt problems were him getting the yips after screwing up once, but that also doesn't mean you want him out there fielding punts. I don't think he was all that much threat as a returner anyway. Poor guy just can't do anything right, and he's not exactly given the impression that he can do something right with more looks.

The Chiefs have been very good at not scouting receivers they draft or sign other than Rice, who is ok. It's close to a Belichickian level, but at least he could sign free agents or trade for people that worked for a while way back when.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ha, I got confused for a second before realizing the names were at the bottom of the busts and not the top. 'That is not how I remember Ronde Barber or Warren Moon looking.'

I went once when I was a kid but it was before they had all of the fun stuff for kids to do that apparently is there now, and even though I was already a bit of a football geek I don't think I appreciated it as much as I should have.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Sunshine posted:

don't throw out degenerate Vegas betting lines as if it means anything other than "the desert wants to make money".

This is both how Vegas works and also not how Vegas works. They're gonna make money, but they need to make sure they make money, and the whales will move lines and screw them up if they mess it up too bad.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Sunshine posted:

Using dumb betting lines to fuel an underdog narrative for an ongoing dynasty is really lame.

I wasn't arguing that part of things really, but I will note the Bills were the 2 seed for a reason, and the Chiefs were a 3 seed and not a 1 seed for a reason.

Things just went the Chiefs way is all. Despite some pretty good fumble luck for the Bills. It was a weird and pretty good game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

solarjetman posted:

I suspect this worked better against Buffalo's backup linebackers than it will against the Ravens, but I still think we'll see Rashee Rice and a bunch of tight ends and running backs for the most part.

It probably wouldn't work like it does in my imagination but I've wanted them to play three tight end sets since the middle of the season as their basic offense. At least two of those guys on the roster can run routes and catch, the other can block and won't drop things more than anyone else.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

Truly you can mock us but I did lose faith at one point this season. And then Skyy Moore went on IR and everything changed

That Raiders game where they had to play like a service academy for 3 quarters because Aidan O'Connell couldn't complete a single pass did happen. With the #1 seed possibly on the line.

I feel like that was a pretty good time to have some doubts.

I did not expect the defense to play like that today, I expected them to be pretty good, but drat.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doctor Teeth posted:

can't get your coordinators poached if they've already been disastrously lovely head coaches *guy tapping his temple meme*

It's not all his fault but whatever happens here I still...kinda want Nagy poached? Again?

Spags killed it this year even if he doesn't usually.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Lighter posted:

gently caress the refs for throwing a taunting flag in the AFC Championship, but drat if that wasn't the ball telling the truth

This skips over the part where Flowers made up for the taunting penalty by immediately getting a first down. He made sure the taunting shouldn't have mattered.

...and then the end happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

So are you guys ready to apologize to MVS or are you worried you might jinx it for the super bowl

He's done enough to deserve snaps and there's no one else.

But it's not like I trust him, so I'm wavering on this question.