Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Sounds like Chris Jones is getting paid for a 1-year deal to rejoin the Chiefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Between Buffalo looking like they’re going to be pummeled by a nor’easter and KC looking like they’ll break their coldest game ever record, perhaps a week’s break wouldn’t have been the worst idea in the NFL’s playbook.

Silver lining though, if you want to go to the KC game, it’ll likely cost you just under $100 (ticket and parking) to attempt not to get frostbite.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Flikken posted:

Not a nor'easter.

Ah seems I am mistaken then, my apologies.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Redeye Flight posted:

The key is that nor'easters come out of the nor'east, which is to say, on the coast, they're storms that blow down from the Arctic off the Grand Banks and thus carry some of the most violent weather patterns.

Buffalo is on the Great Lakes, so it can't get those kinds of storms -- what it gets instead is what's known as "lake effect" snow. The Great Lakes are always going to be warmer than the surrounding terrain and air in winter, because they're gigantic thermal masses that don't change their temperature quickly. When wind blows the colder air across the lakes, it picks up tons of water vapor from them that rapidly turns into snow, which is then vomited all over the downwind side of the lakes --- in this case, Upstate New York. This happens on other big lakes across the world like Lake Baikal and the Great Salt Lake, and even on some bodies of water like the Sea of Japan.

Quoting because this is a fabulous explanation, thank you!