Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Black Sunshine posted:

His stats from yesterday and week 1 last year are very similar so I wouldn't proclaim that he's fixed just yet.

They’re not that similar. He had a 10% higher completion rating, threw for half the yards, threw for almost 3 yards less per attempt, and his longest pass was 21 yards.

I’m not saying those differences are good, some definitely aren’t, but he was playing within the system (probably to a fault) vs whatever the gently caress was going on last year. He also looked more accurate throwing on the move, especially on the two TD passes. If he can mix in the short game chain moving stuff with a little of his old creativity things might work out alright. I think at this point Payton just had him on a really short leash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Relentlessboredomm posted:

didn't they also only get like 5 or 6 drives the whole game bc both teams were going full ball control?

They had six drives. They scored 2 TDs, had 2 FG attempts (missed one) and punted twice. They had two drives that lasted 8+ minutes. Like you said, a very heavy emphasis on ball control and keeping the chains moving on both sides.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

No Butt Stuff posted:

I think I may have been wrong about the broncos.

They look impossibly bad.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DancingMachine posted:

“It might have been one of the worst coaching jobs in the history of the NFL. That’s how bad it was.”

Sean Payton retire bitch

He wasn’t wrong, unfortunately speaking it out loud brought the curse down on his own head.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Simplex posted:

If you exclude the Brady years from his resume he's basically Brian Schottenheimer. I have no idea why his name kept popping up over and over again and why two teams after his Broncos tenure thought it would be a good idea to hire him

Mac Jones looked like an average QB under McDaniels which is probably his only notable accomplishment as an OC.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Simplex posted:

I am greatly amused that the Chargers lost one of the more entertaining games this season while the Broncos and Raiders won two of the worst games.

If you didn’t think that game was entertaining I don’t know what you’re even watching football for.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Pontius Pilate posted:

Payton’s a dick, but I still wish he was the saints coach

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kull the Conqueror posted:

This is beyond lame. They’re basically confessing that they’re not going to try for the next two seasons

Trying to get rid of Russ ASAP seems like the opposite of “not trying.”

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

They've done too good to have a great shot at the draft even if they don't make playoffs or win their division (which to be clear, they can still do both), they don't have the assets to trade up with another QB-needy team, and the '25 draft looks worse for prospects than this one does

Like genuinely moving on from Russ would have been a great idea to do...5 or 6 months ago

That's what's killing me. If this was the plan last year, when he was clearly sucking, when the deal still looked bad and everyone was making fun of it, when they had half as many wins, great. No argument. Get rid of him, bench him and tank. If you're punting on the year, you have a great and obvious chance to do so at the start of this season that nobody would bat an eye at

They just lost to the Pats. They suck. The defense isn’t living off of unsustainable turnover luck and they’re back to giving up too many points for the offense to overcome. Russ is still extremely limited and takes way too many sacks. If they somehow managed to luck into the playoffs they aren’t going to go on a run with him.

If they’ve decided to cut bait there’s no point in continuing to play him. If they thought he was a good player they wouldn’t be trying to get rid of him. Why keep playing the guy you don’t want and don’t think is good?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Black Sunshine posted:

He's tied for 6th in TD passes and only has 8 picks though. He might not be exactly what Payton wants in a QB but if that's how he feels then it should've been dealt with in the off-season. They have too many wins for a blue chip QB prospect and not enough draft capital or players outside of probably just PS2 to make a move for one.

As a fan, if my team is still mathematically in the playoff hunt with 2 games to go then they need to try. Anything can happen in single game elimination so giving up now is some weak rear end bullshit and whoever actually made that call should be fired for making it. I should be happy about it because it actually gives my team a better playoff shot playing a Broncos team with a worse QB but it just really bothers me.

I’m presuming that Payton didn’t know whether Russ was going to work out until he’d actually spent most of the season coaching him. And there was absolutely no hope of getting anything for him in the offseason after his performance last year. Cutting or trading him simply wasn’t an option.

Russ has a decent TD to Int ratio because he’s been game managed to hell. Payton did the same thing with Bridgewater and Jameis when they had to start in NO. But Russ can’t run the offense as designed and can’t reliably keep the chains moving. It’s very boom or bust and you just can’t rely on that in the NFL. I think Payton believes (maybe correctly) that he can get similar production out of a way less costly option.

And even if he can’t Russ clearly isn’t in the long term plans so why wait to move on?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Black Sunshine posted:

Because with 2 games to go you still have a chance of winning the division. It doesn't matter if it's a small chance, it's still possible. The Chiefs offense is dogshit right now and just got manhandled at home on Christmas day by a Raiders defense that isn't full of superstars aside from Maxx. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they can drop the last 2 games, poo poo happens in the NFL.

I'd just be pissed as a fan and am kinda surprised that so many Broncos fans are cool with it considering that this is probably their best chance for a playoff spot over the next 2-3 years with the rebuild on the horizon.

I don’t think Russ playing or not drastically alters their chances of winning the division or making the playoffs. The team clearly doesn’t think he’s very good given that they’re willing to pay 85 million dollars to make him go away. Broncos fans aren’t mad because they’ve watch a whole season of him holding the ball too long and refusing to make the throws he’s supposed to make.

Also, the Broncos will likely end up picking between 10-15 and this is a pretty good draft for QBs so they’ve got a shot at finding a guy in the draft.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 28, 2023

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Name Change posted:

I guess the strategy is to strenuously claim you are not tanking. Who are you going to believe, Sean Payton or your lying eyes?

Rivera said similar when he benched Howell this week. He loves Howell, it's a lovefest, he'll be good soon I promise, this is for his development, but also I benched him.

They’re benching Howell because he sucks. It’s the opposite of tanking. He’s averaging almost 2 ints a game over his last 5. If they wanted to tank they wouldn’t start Brissett who is actually a competent backup that can avoid big mistakes.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Black Lighter posted:

That's the thing: You're used to competent ownership who can keep things from getting too out of hand. Now your team is owned by Walmart.

I expect the Walmart folks to be pretty bland and unobtrusive when it comes to letting the football people make decisions. For better or worse I think Payton is basically running the show now.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I think this article does a pretty good job of laying out where Payton is coming from.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sean-payto...-065323397.html

I don’t think he really cares about the money, though obviously the ownership does, I think he just wants a guy who will run the offense the way he wants and got sick of trying to make it work with Russ.

I also believe him when he says he’s not tanking. Payton is a lunatic, he’s not the type to try to lose games, but he’s definitely the type to think that the team is better off with Stidham running the offense the way Payton designed it vs Russ running it poorly.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

solarjetman posted:

Russ was interviewed today and said straight out that "they" (the Broncos, but unclear if it was Payton or Paton or a Walton or Condoleeza) threatened to bench him if he didn't restructure his deal to take out the injury guarantee, right after the win against the Chiefs: https://www.threads.net/@troy.renck/post/C1dRCdqL5qO

Thinking about this today; I can get my head around a week 17 benching after the season is mostly over but to try and pressure him to take a pay cut mid-season? After the biggest win the Broncos had in years? In a way that will likely get the NFLPA involved? I can't defend that. That's not just an rear end in a top hat move, it's an amateur move. Did they think Russell Wilson of all people was going to keep that quiet in the media? I really want to know how these decisions are being made - how much is Payton and how much is ownership.

It'll be interesting to see how hard they play against the Chargers.

I don’t think Payton gives a poo poo about Wilson’s contract and the fact that he didnt get benched immediately after makes me suspect it was Paton trying to save his job.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

solarjetman posted:

If he thinks he's the GM next year after Paton gets fired, he absolutely gives a poo poo. This is why it's so interesting to me, because there are so many ways it could have happened.

Based on his time in NO I think Payton wants roster control and wants a GM that will do what he needs to with contracts to give him the guys he wants. But he doesn’t want to be the GM, he just wants a friendly one. The Saints were never assholes to players from a contract standpoint when he was there despite signing some real bad ones. They never asked anyone to give back money, they just cut them and dealt with it.

But I agree it’s going to be really entertaining seeing how the power plays shake out.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 30, 2023

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kull the Conqueror posted:

He's proven time and again that he can ball.

Has he? He’s proven that he can still sometimes make plays off schedule (especially if Courtland Sutton is there to do something miraculous) but he’s also proven that he will eat debilitating sacks, isn’t nearly as elusive as he once was, misses timing throws often and won’t throw over the middle.

Teams are getting Russ level production out of Baker Mayfield and Jordan Love. The best QB in the NFC is Mr. Irrelevant. The second best is Jared Goff. You don’t have to shackle yourself to a 35 year old faded star that almost everyone was convinced was completely washed last year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

I think Russ can clearly produce, but I also think it's clear he REALLY needs the right locker room and coaching environment. Like maybe he's higher maintenance than a lot of guys? But considering how valuable even decent-ish QB's are (and I think Russ has higher potential upside than most other QB's), if I were an owner (lol) I would take the extra effort to put the right coaching pieces into place to help him.

All this to say, Payton is clearly not the coach to do that, and I think that's by choice. I don't get the impression Payton has ever wanted to be that coach for him.

The fact that Russ’ production was replaced pretty much entirely by Geno Smith should tell you a lot about who he is now. He’s a 35 year old QB that wants to freelance, holds the ball forever, won’t throw over the middle, and takes too many sacks. He forced himself out of Seattle because he was mad that they weren’t letting him do what he wanted with the offense.

That’s what you’re going to get no matter who you put in place to coach him and there’s not an offensive coordinator or coach that’s worth a poo poo that wants to put up with a guy who won’t run the offense as designed unless they’re putting up MVP numbers, which he definitely is not.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Simplex posted:

The Broncos forfeiting a 1st rounder for screwing around with Russ's contract is the only fitting way for this saga to end.

There’s zero chance anything happens to them for asking Wilson to redo his contract.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

kiimo posted:

For a long portion of the season MVS had more millions on the year than catches

How was his catches to bathrooms in his house ratio? That’s the only advanced stat I care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Simplex posted:

I like that the Broncos started 1-5, won 2 games and convinced themselves they were still in it, and decided against moving a bunch of pieces that had some value. Now, they are just giving away everything in a clearance sale. What was it at the deadline, a 3rd and a 5th for Jeudy?

I don’t think the Broncos were getting much in season for Jeudy or Simmons. Simmons is old and not on a very friendly contract and Jeudy is underwhelming.