Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I use Flannel every match as Nurse and nobody can stop me, except myself because I stopped playing Nurse after getting her achievements. Haven't felt like begging a survivor to let me do the gen grab though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I love being a taller, scarier, more hulking killer and consider it a treat to play Nemesis for that alone. I was noticeably disappointed when they reworked a lot of the sound design in stages to affect killer footprints: Doctor used to have a particularly menacing "7 foot tall guy in dress shoes" tempo to his footsteps that sounds a lot more muted these days.

Alien Queen really god drat tempting for maximum ZOINKS.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If you don't mind that occasionally survivors will do something you didn't expect and you need to go hit them again then you don't need to know perks. And you really can't mind if they use those chances to escape but again you don't need to put your nose to that grindstone when you could be good at chasing.

Not knowing killer perks will get you aura read about a thousand times as survivor admittedly.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'm 100% fine with extra visual confirmation for killer speed ups to match MFT and so on getting them. Specifically those, aura reads for both sides should be hidden or extremely subtle(you can tell people have distortion by the absence of a read if you really pay attention) and so on.

But no you shouldn't have to squint and guess ahh gee they're moving x+.03 terrain units instead of x!!!

Also you could have fun with it. Bamboozle Vault should make a little evil clown laugh, maybe add a honk honk.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

What gets me about the design of MFT is that it has 100% uptime. At least when you get hit by an exhaust perk it's done for the chase barring a truly heroic 40 second mid chase stealth play or good teamwork to wrench your attention away.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Despite her reputation I get the feeling Skull Merchant + follow up skin moves a lot of auric cells. :thunk:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Lmao at hitching wagon to a game that'll be lucky to hold out for six months. Not a comment on TCM quality but just the odds with every asym horror game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

That was a good Killer pitch tho.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

Face camping is super scrubby but was it really such a massive issue

YES

Sorry my friend but we can't slam BHVR for not addressing long standing problems and then slam them for finally doing it. This was sorely needed, or at least a sign that the devs recognize the old, old, old core gameplay flaws of the game and want to address them.

Speaking of looks like Trapper mains are eating good again. :twisted:

Skull getting a rework is a nice show of priority initiative, you know, for the usual months long dev balance cycles most games get. But hey, they didn't just leave her in the same basement the Twins are locked in. Stutter stepping sounds like a self correcting problem: if the existence of the drone makes survivors move inefficiently, it's still area denial. And they'll be punished for any mistakes.

A shame MFT didn't get touched but as I've thought for the last few years as bad as DbD can be at times it's always getting a little better each patch it seems.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 18, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I could see Trapper starting with 3-4 traps in hand but his prep phase is better than Myers now imo. You're not intended to get a majority of your traps going before you're applying pressure and there's an appealing juggling of macro concerns to setting up efficient, effective traps en route to stuff. The haste buff here will help enormously.

More traps on the map means that ideally they're spaced appropriately so that you have 8 spots to grab traps en route to stuff that aren't all in the worst corners. Better odds, smaller spacing and more chances overall. Also likely a buff to the addon that gives you every trap in hand to start but you can't relocate them.

The haste buff is pretty good. Is it good enough? Probably not, but it's a huge benefit in set up and mid chase.

I guess I'm biased since even the worst killer in the game can roll 75%+ of survivors. Will Trapper be spanked by SWF comms still? Sure, but so will 75%+ of killers!

Relyssa posted:

Trapper really needs some sort of basekit for starting with traps in hand. It's ridiculous that he has to go on a magical journey across the map just to get his power started.

He starts with trap in hand now, part of his enormous buff from last year. I think it's 2 even, so pathing to a gen and hitting 1-2 traps along the way with little deviation isn't as big an ask as a bad Myers P1.

FWIW I think Myers P1 could be improved dramatically pretty easily: he's 110/115% base speed and his lunge is normal.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

A conga line of goofs thinking that if the HORROR ELEMENT in their HORROR GAME is too mean that people might not want to play, wondering why people don't want to play when dressing up as a monstrous serial killer is just a prelude to putting in more effort to perform worse.

DbD gets by on size and inertia and even they have the sense to throw killer players a bone consistently, nerf survivor bullshit(mostly) and to tip balance with things like the universal killer buff last year.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Relyssa posted:

So how on earth are you meant to play Skull Merchant now? The drones are completely useless for guarding gens and using them in chase is... difficult at best.

My rough read of the patch notes is that you set up zones the survivors have to path through while being chased and you act like a regular m1 115 with loads of benefits.

Move speed when people are tagged, people being injured, tagged, broken and KI'd mid chase, people wasting time ala Pig Hats sneaking up on drones to shut them down.

Set stealthy drones in areas you want to pressure and aren't near, slam down loud drones when you know you're about to get loud and run somebody down through that house or jungle gym. Using them mid chase seems fine, they removed the slowdown on deploy and checking scanner I think, this isn't a Trapper "I'm giving up distance but shutting down this loop", it seems a stronger "loop me through here, I dare you" with no or little showdown.

I don't really see the problem with the drones not shutting down gens being worked on. Virtually no killer has actual map wide strong pressure. I think Pinhead and Nemesis are the only hard blockers. Artist is close though I'd say she's technically soft map pressure unless they try to face tank birds, Nurse is so efficient she breaks the game, Spirit and Blight(and Freddy, etc) are so mobile they can be close to that efficient. An "ignored" drone on a gen should punish people when they scatter as you approach, ideally if you slam it to loud when your TR is just transitioning from medium to close. I don't think a drone should be set down as "no survivors allowed!" Hell, Trapper can actually do that and it doesn't make him great. I see Drone zones as more of a Pyramid Head trail or Plague object infection thing: great at control and some zoning, diminished results if you're on the opposite end of the map, as it should be.

Now... is this effective? Dunno! Educated guessing.

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I think a big part of this is pure numbers. The smaller games can't afford to piss off a lot of the player base, and a lot of pro-killer changes get 4/5 of the playerbase upset.

But these survivor favoring games still died. I think it's a case of the 4/5 will howl but keep playing vs the game quietly dying.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I can't be bothered to check multiple launchers. That's it.

I turn on my PC once or twice a day, steam launches, slide down my wishlist and any meaningful game patches and other launchers don't exist in my brain.

I think there's a principle of ease of access where even a single utterly trivial ask is worse than pure convenience with no hurdles, even small ones.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Me, sitting in chair with my belly propped up and crumbs rolling down it: :effort:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Some people play a role in a game just to have power and sadistic control over somebody to make up for an inadequacy in the rest of their life. Taking away camping means that poster can't kick somebody for two minutes in a zero risk position to feel better.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I think Kindred base kit is about the limit of what the game can take.

I'm all for adjusting the balance and removing genuinely unfun things from the game but you guys are pushing towards the killer doing a mandatory 12 alternating hooks a round, at which point most killers will chain slug or lose hard. Unless we get another round of big killer buffs again, or even rarer, the game gets changed at the core.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I really don't want to have the shared hook pool argument again so I'll just say sure, I'm on board, providing that BHVR also reconstruct the basic rules of the game i.e. you repair 5 generators in X time to escape. I don't want 12 hook states to spare survivors the possibility of dying early if Killer becomes such a brutal filter on people capable of doing it that DbD kills itself with the same thing that kills DBD clones.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 15, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'm like 600-700 hours over 3 years but I feel I'm in the top 10% of killers while not being remotely close to the top 1%. Loving FPS my whole life has helped a lot, predictive pathing and map awareness is universal.

Yes Dunning Kruger but I still maintain that good map awareness and M1 fundamentals blow away 75% of the survivor playerbase so the bars aren't too tricky to clear at first. It's when you slam into sweat town that every little bit better you get is earned with blood and tears.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I remember about 20 survivor perks max with a shift of 1-5 over months depending on the meta. There's honestly not much difference between "I looked left first instead of right and they stealthed me" if they pull it off via a perk you can't know was activated until you see it on the pair match screen or if they rounded a corner 1 seconds earlier than would have been ideal for me.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

This games fanbase goes to a truly heroic amount of effort to be horny, especially since Charlotte is one of the more viscerally disturbing designs.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

What if I told you these monologues and team chatter play out for 99% of players in all competitive games. :twisted:

It's a totally human habit that has to actively be broken and policed.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I think they're accidentally taking three proposed buffs for Trickster and slamming them all live at once. Dude might be legit broken. He gets a guaranteed main event(6 blades) for every injury state he tries to inflict with knives(10)? Oh well, he's been in the niche killer death space for awhile, nice that he isn't forgotten like Twins or Myers.

Get hosed MFT. :)

Danaru posted:

I want to be like RIP bozo about MFT but unless I'm missing a connection between endurance and deep wounds, it uhh seems like a bit of a non sequitor

Deep Wounds is deeply undesirable, MFT is pretty doa in this form. Having a 3% speed boost while you can't do anything but scamper off to mend the wounds and still be injured is a real bad perk investment.

Deep Wounds is good in situations where the alternative is being downed.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 2, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

MFT change isn't a Legion nerf, Legion puts you in deep wounds and then immediately leaves to go hit the other 3 people on their radar. I guess it'll be 3% harder to get the sacred fifth hit.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

True. Ah well, gently caress Legion.

I love Legion and my rat Susie skin.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Thank you Netflix for realizing that giving people what they want and getting money for nothing was the smarter call than not releasing anything under your own studios. :thumbsup:

Medullah posted:

That's the theory but they've consistently said it's not true.

Those insisting they aren't owned won't admit that they were horribly owned and put in two expies from Prey, a claw-handed killer with the Predator's execution style absent the invisibility, and a famously ham-handed power set that was overhauled within months. :haw:

The most inspiration Skull Merchant has was making her a thirst trap as a distraction.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I had the ST pack from the start so luckily I could always run around as Demo and Steve, the best characters in DbD.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Myers rework... :guinness:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

:sickos:

For all the things DbD can be razzed for I love their acquisitions team so much.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

CHOAM posted:

I was honestly a massive unbeliever of chucky being added purely cause I had no idea how he'd even work. So now I am curious how he actually plays and if he's gonna be a huge mixup in terms of how a lot of things are played around

It occurs to me that they're voicing him so they can (also) add enormous audio cues to when he is nearby and spots you for chase, which will be pretty fun. "THERE YA ARE YA BITCH!" Sure there's the rising theme but the punch of voice lines adds a lot as Trickster and Wesker showed.

Wonder if they'll make his footsteps super audible too. The visual confirmation is gonna be a wonderfully appropriate horror-themed nightmare.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Follows the classic formula: first one deserves a watch by any horror fan, first 1-3 in the 80s are classic horror pulp of varying quality, gets an edgy update and pumps out a few sequels of much more wildly varying quality that can also be so bad they're entertaining to fans, gets a modern reboot that looks much more polished but still has the rollercoaster highs and lows of quality.

Watch the first and then watch them until you're sick of it, basically.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'm all for violence against children...

DbD Thread: I'm all for violence against children

... but this is probably an issue they ran into with Victor and game ratings, especially per country. They're already M but being tipped to AO(unlikely) is a kiss of death, but they also have to contend with stricter standards from other countries too. This also makes me realize that their incredibly goofy insistence that Victor is a little man was necessary, funny as it was.

I'm just reminded of things like how Contra is about robots shooting evil robots in Europe, or how Fallout 2 has invisible kids in some versions so you can never interact with and hurt them.

Adult Andy would be a good survivor.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Chucky's hex is good(if you want revenge) imo because it spawns mid match instead of being something a survivor can find within the first ten seconds by blind chance. Same reason I like pentimento and Pinhead's similar hexes.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Blight is fun as hell. :v:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Kwolok posted:

Most people don't play blight because he is fun. And I guarantee if you nerfed him to make him less bullshit you'd see his use drop like a stone. He might be fun as well but that is not the primary motivating factor for most people.

Well sure, if Killer weaker then they'll be used less but everybody in the bottom tiers has ardent defenders and popular streamer mains. Even Twins has like two. This thread has like 5 Myers stans. Me, I'm one of them.

I think when the discussion gets to "man is inherently evil" we've gone past the point of any meaningful design discussion and people are just venting. Which sure, vent away, but "Actually Blight and Nurse aren't fun to play" is a powerfully personally offended take. The high skill use viscerally satisfying killers aren't inherently fun to play? Yes, they're also strong as hell, but Nurse is a wholly unique tactical skillset and Blight is a bonafide high mobility regular. It's not his fault that Oni isn't as good as him(however Oni is still good) or that Billy was forgotten by the devs(rip), and Billy STILL has fans.

Yeah it sucks that this game is an excellent vehicle to exercise pure sadism but that's true of virtually all pvp gaming. Instead of considering that perhaps Nurse and Blight players are dishonest somehow we need game mechanics that reward playing Not Nurse and Blight? S'what I always go back to, that the core gameplay needs adjustment or additions. Mobile gets Prop Hunt, that's cool. Imagine if there was an area denial mode(.. somehow?) or even like a 6-8 survivors vs 2 killers mode that greatly rewarded having an aggressor(classic high tiers that move fast and chase good) and a support/zoner(Trapper, Hag, anyone with a map teleport or stealth.) I can't spitball a full game design doc for you off the top of my head here so I reiterate: Blight is a good boy and honestly fun at his core and he has never done anything wrong.

Nurse mains however ARE horny on main and sling sin for the devil, thank you.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

DbD is really funny in that the playerbase thinks it is a wholly unique community and toxicity issue but in reality it slots right in with virtually every other competitive genre including FPS, RTS, Fighting games, etc. The most unique thing is that "competitive tag/hide and seek" is pretty rare so the rules themselves are unique, but not their existence.

Every competitive game will eventually raise a meta and it's your decision whether or not you can enjoy it despite that. In better balanced games the meta is less oppressive and the devs rein things in, often you can set your own rules so it sucks that DbD is always online auto-matchmaking style. It's nice that an Advance Wars player can toggle a load of rules on an online client site or in the game itself, it's nice fighting games have private lobbies and chat before committing to the match, etc.

If you rolled up to a Strive tourney and said "Sorry but Sol players need to honorably leave right now" you'd get laughed out of the room and told to get good. Am I saying you should do this? Nah, but at this point:

quote:

You post like the type of person who, when an exploit is found in a video game, exploits the poo poo out of it to the suffering of everyone around you saying "Well the developers should have fixed it :smug: "

If picking popular and effective killers is literally dishonorable to you it's time to take a break. Or form a group of 5, rotate killer, and ban the toxic exploits.

I'd say BHVR could risk a queue divide for Serious/Casual and split the killer roster by half but this very thread has had arguments about whether or not it's honorable to DC from C tier all stars like Legion so lol. BHVR would also have to finally hire Otz or some other hyper objective time sink data man, though he already does it, bless his heart.

Edit:

Kwolok posted:

This reeks of "You wouldn't survive a cod lobbby back in my day"

Before you try to hit me with this it's more of "you wouldn't survive being kill streaked by <Most Effective Meta Gun in CoD>" or something, I dunno, I don't CoD, but I don't even want to think about the moral ramifications of picking the Too Strong option in a video game. We're not talking about locking into Akuma in the SNES Street Fighter days here, Nurse and Blight and Wesker may get repetitive but they're not 100% win rate killers.

I don't want to normalize toxic behavior, I want to normalize accepting that people will figure out the strongest options in a competitive game and use them. I didn't like this in Hearthstone so I stopped playing(the monetary costs made it easier) instead of assuming everyone who used an emote was Patrick Bateman.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 21, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Kwolok posted:

Maybe I've been too e-bushido and I should just let loose, see how it feels.

I plug it all the time but this is actually a core element of reinvigorating enjoyment in the game as per the Killa Whale video I link constantly, since he nails it and I think he's funny.

Stop playing the imagined ideal game where everybody never uses anything that'll push you outside your comfort zone. Take off gen regression/survivor meta perks, toss on some chase/loop enhancers and practice the core of the game you enjoy. I guess you could also practice pure stealth/support bot on survivor, but if you don't like chase as killer... yeaahhh. So just force yourself into busting rear end on chase, don't show a shred of mercy, if they can't 5 gen against no slowdown that's their problem.

Then you either kill 'em all and accept some MMR bump, let 1+ go, or get 2 hooks on everybody and then practice showboat/tricky power use for the finales. Kill somebody if you pull off a full map chainsaw or Oni charge, or two sweet hatchets in a row, etc.

It's where I ended up. I give it a heroic effort, everybody gets one bye if I see them immediately after they're unhooked, then I blitz everybody into the ground and slam dunk the last guy in the hatch. Slugs, tunnels, proxy camps, they're not gonna take off their good perks and stop bringing BNP willingly. If I get my rear end kicked oh well. Best match of my life, getting tunneled out instantly or 0K with tears streaming down my face, I slam out that "gg" every time.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

L.U.I.G.I posted:

What chasing perk do you use/recommand?

Universally and for the philosophy posted there you can't go wrong with Lethal Pursuer. No bullshit, no guessing, no delusion. CHASE NOW.

Most Killers if you wanna play hard then Save The Best For Last. If you're primarily M2 then not so much.

Personally? Brutal Strength. It felt good before the buff to smashy times and it feels better with. Another no nonsense seconds shaving enhancement.

From there(or instead of one of these two) another 1-2 aura readers to go with the Lethal Pursuer extension is great. For chase busting in particularly I'm All Ears is crazy good. It's like one cheat code per chase. BBQ is hilarious if you're as mobile as Blight or Oni, "merely" good besides.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 22, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Chucky is already being heralded by streamers as rubbing shoulders(... his shoulders, their shins) with Blight and Nurse so not surprising or unnecessary.

Medullah posted:

Batteries Not Included being disabled at endgame is dumb, dumb, dumb

Seems like the right call to me. 12 meters, +5% and a lingering 5 seconds is enough to be dangerous but niche, as killers are naturally inclined to avoid completed generators and will end up there trying to flush people out or when led their on chases.

Combined with NOED maybe it goes too far and they got a flood of reports of killers casually wiping teams. Numbers in DbD sound small until they aren't. MFT is just 3%, right? 5%(frequent uptime) + NOEDs 4% could be a guaranteed 2K alone.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Medullah posted:

I hate that Wesker is so popular because I was psyched to make him my main but my hipster killer mentality prevented me from doing that because I didn't want to do what everyone else does.

Offers closed bear trap, grunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Pinhead perks enable some very particular rear end in a top hat builds, like the one that makes a hex they have to seek and they're oblivious until they do. It works beautifully since it gives them a second objective naturally without risk of it being sniped too early. His scourge hook perk is alright.

Artists scourge hook perk is a very weapons grade "I want to win" regression. It has been nerfed but so what, it's still a better pre-nerf Pop. Pentimento is decent too but no guarantee of value. It only needs one broken totem, CoH got nerfed out of mandatory use, somebody will generally break one for points or tomes... Etc.

Knight gets Nowhere To Hide which is the best info companion for a gen kicker in the game. Destroys the "cross two props and hang out within 10 yards" stealth play.

I've heard a lot of good about Xeno perks but no experience myself.

Also in no particular order Pinhead, Artist and Knight are all pretty fun and effective. Knight's last second buffs(especially the haste catch up after spawning minion) elevated him to playable B tier quite nicely, Pinhead is always comfortably competent and Artist has been an A tier since release.