Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

Killer Klowns From Outer Space is going to be the next contender (to get knocked out after a few months).

Pouring one out for VHS. It looked like it coulda stayed in the space with room for expansion, but the company seemed kind of lost with how to promote it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1556100/Killer_Klowns_from_Outer_Space_The_Game/

They promoted it fine- it got a very big presence in in the launch of it's beta. VHS just fell off instantly because people figured out that playing as the monster was an awful experience- two of the three monsters were incredibly weak after then opening minutes unless you got a very early elimination to snowball off of, while the third monster was probably stronger then the teens but absolutely forced the game into a long, grindy cat-and-mouse game that could go upwards of half an hour as the teens would be forced to slowly whittle down the Dollmaster's resources while keeping themselves armed. And at no stage did the devs ever do anything to actually tweak how bad it felt as the 'villain' of the game.

Like, we complain how bad killer feels sometimes in DbD, but it's a whole league better then it felt in Video Horror Society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tiny Myers posted:

It's sad because I heard at so many points that the biggest problem with that game was how survivor-sided it was (or that people were afraid it would be). And I guess they just didn't do anything about that? Or not enough? I didn't really keep up with VHS.

I wonder if part of it was because they didn't know how to do it without significant mechanical overhauls, kind of like how DBD is still floundering with anti-tunneling after 7 years because it's a huge problem with the core game design. You have to be really loving careful with that when it comes to asymmetrical titles, I guess.

Didn't Evil Dead have a lot of problems with the killer role too? Like survivors abusing the poo poo out of iframes? At least with something like that you can try and tweak the numbers.

A lot of it was just that the monster didn't have anything to do but hunt the teens. I said it before, and I'll say it again- if you're gonna make a game where your primary gameplay is basically borrowed from Evolve, the shrewdest thing Evolve did was 1) Swap the power dynamic to the monster starting weak and eventually getting stronger then the hunters as the game went on and 2) Made the final stage where the MONSTER had the game-ending objective that forced the hunters, officially on the backfoot, to go fight it or just lose by default. VHS did the opposite, where the monsters are strongest in the first 2-4 minutes of the game and then once most teens have a weapon they started to get weaker and weaker if the teens play it right (staying near but not on top of each other) because it became very hard to remove a health state without risking losing a stigma, which was a losing proposition for Werewolf and WART and even Doll Master would rather not trade a doll for a hit unless he was certain to have another doll (or their body, if extremely desperate to conserve dolls) near enough to follow up while folks were injured/had depleted weapons. And since the only way to end the game is to kill the other side, it forced the Monster to either stall the game for a very long time looking for openings or get very lucky making some sneaky picks while baiting out some kind of opening where 2+ teens run out of weapons.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Wesker is very strong, easy to play, and from a highly popular license. He's also the only killer of the top 5 (Nurse, Blight, Mastermind, Spirit, probably Plague right now) who's mechanically simple and plays like a normal killer, so I'm not shocked he's everywhere.

Hell, I fukkin' love playing as him. He's just fun as hell.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

curiousTerminal posted:

Oh I know why he's so popular but I still don't like playing against him and I wanted stats to back up how tired I am of his snarky voicelines. I legit once confused his terror radius music for one of the generics he's so common.

I mean, him being so much of the playerbase on himself is probably a massive statement on the state of killer design as a whole right now which... yeah. Most newer killers are overcomplicated, underpowered nonsense who get their big fans but not much else of the playerbase keeping interest in them. Hell, Wesker's basically just powercrept Pig (alternate attack mechanics, slowdown baked into their base kit, weird and unintuitive stealth via crouch/larger then normal killer radius) which is probably the only really damning thing about his design. Like, of all the killers released between Blight and now Mastermind is the only one that's really 'stuck' except maybe Nemesis and it's not exactly surprising why.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
A lot of these newer devs probably at least in part base their game balanced around DBD and the feedback around it... unfortunately a lot of which is whining about how 'broken' killers are because a disproportionate part of the player base is Survivor-only. So new games implement similar gameplay except the Survivors get to fight back and almost all these devs miss that Survivors have traditionally been the Strong Side in Dead By Daylight since almost the dawn of the game, and giving the Survivors tools to make the Killer's life actively miserable base-kit just leads to a lot of games where the killer-side barely feels like they get to play the game once a meta shakes out and the average Survivor starts learning ways to kick the Killers in the genitals.

Like, part of the reason why DbD still worked even in the darkest eras (Dead Hard + Circle of Healing meta) is that Survivors still have to play the game- they don't have unlimited ways of generating iFrames or stunlocking the killer. They generally get one shot to use 'em in an outplay then otherwise need to run, and the killer gets to chase. Even if weaker killers who are only going to catch the survivors a few times and probably end the average match with 0-1 sacrifices still get to spend the majority of the game at least FEELING like the survivors have to respect them and let you play the monster. I did not get that feeling with Evil Dead, I did not get that feeling with VHS, and I haven't played TCM but it sounds like you don't need to do that in TCM either. Who the gently caress wants to play the 'power' role in the game when the 'weak' role gets to bully them so mercilessly?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Part of why I don't play a lot of DbD these days is the hoops I've had to jump to in order to make the game playable on my last two monitors- a Samsung Odyssey 9 (5120x1440) and a 4k TV, neither of which are resolutions DbD supports gracefully without doing settings.ini edits, changing Windows settings before and after play, and finagling physical device settings after launch. The Odyssey especially didn't like DbD at ANY resolution and required looking through technical advice for a solution.

It's not a TON of work every time, but it's pretty funny how much of a deterrent is to have to spend a couple of minutes before and after a session playing with poo poo when I can just boot something that works out of the box.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 20, 2023

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Medullah posted:

Well, at least TCM and DBD have $15 skins in common

Having custom chainsaw sounds is gonna be amazing.

First time you hear the boy rev up you'll know if you're facing against some poor pleab Leatherface who's gonna get bullied or an invested and fearsome Dollarhide.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

I was today years old when I learned a survivor crawling out of the gate with an active Pig hat will escape and not die. I knew they could go through the hatch but the gate, nope

Is Pig glitched again or something? Unless I missed a patch note somewhere, an active party hat should kill a survivor trying to leave via the Gates- running, walking, crouching, crawling. Like, going even a few steps past the gate towards the exit should trigger it.

Better Nerf Pig, I guess.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Doomykins posted:

It read like a flat list of buffs on paper. A ranged 110 can now 115 and M1 freely and he has laser guided knives for quick ultimates? How does he not just double damage everybody he sees, sounds like Huntress without wind up! But somehow he's weaker.

Considering the average player insisting he's stronger maybe he got buffed against potatoes that can't loop.

They hit him in area that already MADE him bad- making damage stick. They added two more required hits and shaved a third of the time before damage starts to fall off- doesn't matter how much better you are at getting more knives to land unless you're getting ENOUGH knives to land, and that is so much harder to do before falloff starts- just about any decent high obstacle or jungle gym anymore is enough to start the falloff now, it feels like. It's a good thing Trickster got the speed update because now he feels much more like an M1 killer with a power to take advantage of large open spaces.

He probably feels stronger if people aren't specifically playing against his knives but the new changes make his knives much easier to play around if you're actually trying.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Umbreon posted:

As a firm believer in equality, the only thing I'm mad about is the fact that there are no perks or items that let survivors do this to killers.

What, flashlights/pallets/Head On knocking survivors out of the killers hands not good enough for ya?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The problem with solo queue is that the range of players you face is so huge and matchmaking so wacky that you DON'T know what flavor of spice you're running into game to game.

The bigger problem with the three-gen nerf is that it doesn't help the struggling players at all. This isn't a buff to bads because bads don't lose games to three genning. This isn't even a buff to kinda-goods, because kinda-goods also don't lose games to three genning. These players lose the game in many many ways, and rarely is three-genning themselves anything besides the absolutely final nail in the coffin of a game already lost on the back of two dozen poor choices and outright misplays.

Losing to three genning outside of the most egregious cases (Blight, Knight, Merch, Bubba, Plague, Twi- gotcha, nobody plays Twins) is by and large something that only happens to higher-tier solo queue players and SWFs because these are the teams that have the skills and decision making that can let them reach the point where getting 3-genned is a loss decision and not unnecessary altruism/poor decision making/bad pathing in chase/no map awareness ravaging your teams hopes and dreams long before that point. These are also the players who do not need help. These are the players where most of the killers in the game struggle to have a functional win condition and if the players misplay themselves onto a losing path under duress then you don't need to run in and tell the killers that we're disabling your only way to stop going to one gen from just being an in-progress loss. If you don't like how strong the killers who do best playing for a three-gen all game are, do something about them specifically. Clown and Pig don't need this poo poo done to them.

Especially if BHVR isn't particularly deft with this and just have it kick in ANY time the survivors are at one gen, at which point you're not playing for the win you're playing for gates and maximum pettiness because gently caress if the survivors actually played it right and the killer needs to make a triangles around the edges of the map to check gens. And I don't trust BHVR to be particularly deft at all.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tiny Myers posted:

Honestly he should organize some kind of protest. He's got enough pull that if he could get a non-insignificant chunk of the userbase to say "gently caress you" to the next DLC release or whatever then BHVR would presumably take notice. Even just "fix the anti-cheat" is a not-unreasonable demand.

Unfortunately, a pretty strong constant is that gamers suck at financial-based protest. This will hurt day 1 sales but almost certainly trail off every day past that as more and more folks give in. All this would do is get BHVR to kill his Mist Whisperer status for minimal gain. Especially if next killer or set of perks wind up meta or come from a major license. Can you imagine the futility of trying to run this protest on the patch that brings in Jason or the Predator or a perk on par with launch Made for This or Circle of Healing?

Like, your most visible and loved streamer being visibly frustrated with the terrible state of your game should be incentive enough to fix your poo poo- people see this and even if your numbers are still going up, they're defiantly not going up the way they could be if the guys who are the face of playing your game looked they were having a great time doing it. You're not losing invested players at a high rate, but you are losing out on new faces and folks who've walked away- I know I'm not playing right now outside pre-made groups because poo poo's loving terrible every time I check to see how folks are doing.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

rydiafan posted:

The people I SWF with cleanse against Plague CONSTANTLY and we keep getting annihilated. I try to explain it to them every loving game but they refuse to listen.

In theory, the counterplay against Plague is well known and super simple and should not be a problem for any decent pub to understand, even if not the easiest to actually pull off.

In reality, gently caress you if you think I'm playing this match broken *glug glug*. Vommy Mommy's your problem now, imma gonna go chill in a locker until until she's done using last night's beef stew like a mortar.

And there were no survivors.

Like, 80-90% of my Plague matches were like this. It's staggering how often I could close out the last 5+ minutes of the match chain-drinking the ooze to keep history's nastiest super soaker topped off while having recently vomited spots telling me exactly where to go by seeing who gets infected.

E: That said, good rule of thumb- abstain if your team abstains, chug if your team chugs. You got at least one thirsty lad or lass on your team, Plague's gonna get all the Kool aid she wants, might as well keep yourself from being an insta-down unless you really don't wanna test to see how good her infect-dar is.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 28, 2023

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Trickster feels slow for the same reason a lot of mediocre Gunslingers feel slow- because a lot of people go to their slow, reload required attack options with him at times they should really just M1. Using his range to injure or down is a major time investment. If you're in a situation where you can either break out the knives or spend five more seconds chasing them take the M1, you should usually take the M1 as Trickster in particular, because unlike Slinger you need to keep landing those attacks for them to stick. Landing five knives then losing the chase doesn't earn you anything but Lipton's at the gate.

I think that's what most people forget- Trickster using his power has some of the slowest times to down a survivor in the game and unless you're in a situation where it's realistically the only option you really might want to just try and club them instead, especially now that Trickster is a 115 killer.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Nurse is more mechanically different and harder to grock at first since you don't have any options besides the special stuff, while you can still play Blight as a 115 M1 killer in between bounces to get you 'close enough' for a start.

But Nurse's blinks are way easier to get a functional level then Blight Bounces in even your average jungle gym or moderately-strong structure. Her ceiling is absolutely higher, but that's because of how strong Nurse's blinks are and how flexible they are as tools, giving you more decision points. For mechanical difficulty I'd say getting Blight from Rush as a travel power and occasionally strong against Survivors in the (relative) open to Rush as a truly intimidating chase power is way more involved.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
They just need to lean entirely into the lore that the Entity fucks with both the survivors and killers and change unhooking to some kind of escape teleport. Increase the time it takes to make a successful unhook by like 3x so Survivors can't just rush the hook to get a body off, but if a survivor gets the 'unhook' or the killer accumulates X amount of facecamp time during a hook stage, then have the Entity come down to grab the hooked survivor and yeet them across the map.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Better nerf... Pig?

What? Pig buffs? I mean, Pig nerfs too, because of course, but ok.

But now what do we meme? Better Buff Blight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I have to imagine they'll be pulling from the TV show over the games for the Castlevania crossover, so I wouldn't be surprised if the killer was Issac or Drolta. Big D would be hard to convert into a killer in either form tho- if they pull from the games I figure some other series mainstay like Medusa or Death is far more likely.

Joke option Bad Ending Soma Cruz.

E: Guesses about leaks

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 23, 2024