Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
It isn't the same distance, but the behavior of Pinhead's chain cast is the same as Nurse blinking and playing him helped me understand the logic on how it works with a killer that's both 115 and has passive slowdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Learned last night that bleedouts don't count as a kill for adepting. I rarely bleed anyone out (except boil over abusers) so it's never come up, but I'm still surprised given it shares an icon with moris which DO count.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

First word a friend heard on TCM's chat was a... Heated Gamer Word from some 13 year old. He hasn't turned it on since.

The literal first thing I do to a voice chat in games nowadays is turn it the gently caress off, so I can't say I blame him. Overwatch cured me of my desire to hear other Gamers in pretty much any semi anonymous scenario.

It's why i don't understand when people say dbd needs a voice chat for soloq balancing. You wanna give this community an unfiltered way to call you slurs?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Relyssa posted:

It's bad enough that it feels necessary to hide everything on my steam profile so I don't get harassed

I hid my hours a while back so people would stop dodging me for having over or under X hours, but I leave everything else open. It's one click to delete angry comments, and my friends and I love to spam copypasta stuff on each others comment sections.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

First survivor match of the night: Double iri wesker with a map offering who hard tunneled me at 5 gens even though all 4 survivors brought anniversary cake or BPS.
Fourth survivor match of the night: A P100 Blight main who was only using Shadowborn and BBQ who destroyed us so hard at 3 gens left that he let us go and then complimented us in the end chat anyway.

Sometimes you really do just have to ignore the omens.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Medullah posted:

I like how I already have 12 hits on this achievement even before I bought the chapter.

My pet theory is that it's counting PTB hits for this for some reason. I've seen people unlock it right on launching the game after buying Xeno, and I've seen others like you with partial progress. Only Steam, no other platform. I had 0 but I also didn't do any public games on PTB, just custom matches for testing.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Relatedly plopping a Demo portal on the stairs there is funny as poo poo and does catch people on the gen since he momentarily snuffs his terror radius on a teleport

I prefer that side room on the opposite side of the hall from the gen room, the one that leads back out to the balcony. People run past the stairs all the time, nobody ever goes in that room. To the point that I have given a lot of killers the slip while playing survivor by just running through there and then dropping down and running to shack. Not even being sneaky about it because they hear the "wooOOAAAOOOHH" and assume I'm falling out the window.

re: MFT speed boost: It is literally the same situation as old old Dead Hard was. No way of knowing they have it (untul the obvious tell is used, which in the case of MFT is the endurance which is shared by like 5 other things), extends chase simply by existing, requires no game knowledge to use it, warps killer gameplay and perception and changes the way they play even if it isn't present because it is otherwise omnipresent.
It's the same reasons old DH was so bad for the game. Only requires injury to use an effect that is hella strong if the survivor knows how to use it even marginally well.

You can tell it's a powerful meta-defining perk because it's near exclusively talked about in acronym format like DS, UB, DH, BT...

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Oh right I forgot to post my final killers faced Stat tracking.

I started this because I went against 3 plaything + pentimento Weskers in a row and I wanted to know if he was as oversaturated as I thought (yes). Most of these games were NA in the evening/at night, but a few were in EU.
Unfortunately I started this a couple weeks after everyone had already stopped playing Singularity so it's not reflective of the chapter as a whole but I did start a new one with Xenomorph immediately so that one should be accurate.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 1, 2023

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Oh I know why he's so popular but I still don't like playing against him and I wanted stats to back up how tired I am of his snarky voicelines. I legit once confused his terror radius music for one of the generics he's so common.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Everyone posting about how scared dbd should be because of tcm and ayrun just remember:

quote:

Dead By Daylight and The New Asymmetrical Game That's 100% Gonna Kill DBD This Time For Real

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

That's why Nemmy's only got 3 perk slots because the first one always has Discordance - it's the only loud noise that the zombies will investigate at any distance for some reason. It keeps them at least SOMEWHAT near the objective you need them to do.
If the survivors split up or you get red forest though it's gg.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Relyssa posted:

That's a really weird fact that I didn't know before. Wonder why they won't investigate any other loud noises like that.

They do investigate loud noises but they have a really small range, it's like 6m outside their detection cone or something like that. Vaults, Spies, hosed up skillchecks, screams, etc, are in that 20ish meter range. Discordance is the only one without the range limitation.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Austin S posted:

They just need to add bouncy castles to each map

Good news: You can take a big inflatable cushion that acts as an on demand bounce pad as one of your two gadgets.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Obviously it'd be better if maps were balanced but that's never happening so they could at least make new versions of maps that are sided the other way to even out the odds on an offering. Dark and empty Eyrie. Tiny Borgo. Goodham. Big Midwich.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

For specific numbers on the BP grind reduction: They increased the cap per category in matches to 10k, for a maximum of 40k points per game, reduced the price of every rarity in the bloodweb by roughly 30% (so brown went form 3k to 2k per node), and tied teachables into prestiging characters, P1 = yellow auto-unlocked on everyone, P2 is green, P3 is purple.
This effectively adds up to about 1 million BP per prestige level (down from 1.2) but that prestige removes the requirement to fish from other bloodwebs. Taking Xenomorph from P0 to P3 requires 3 million BP, but since you don't need to unlock her perks on anyone else anymore anymore that can save you 1 million BP just on perk nodes alone, let alone the paths between them.

Since the BP grind was reduced to linearly adding 3 mil per character instead of increasing it exponentially, they took the BP bonuses away from pretty much every perk that was actually used for this purpose (BBQ, WGLF, Prove Thyself) and have phased out meme addons. The reason behind this is supposedly "to remove bloodpoints as a factor in perk choice" for balance purposes but frankly I think that's a load of hogwash since the grind is what keeps people playing the game for 4k hours.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Also I think they changed how post-match announcements are delivered. They now slap rift track progress etc over the chat menu which is really annoying since I can't even type GG after a match and people leave quickly as it is.

This is indeed super annoying but if your post match chat window isn't minimized you can just press space to instantly start typing in it instead of waiting for the archive window to go away.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I've noticed that flashlights have been temporarily removed. I guess the devs finally wised up and realized how annoying as poo poo constant flashlight flicking was.

There's currently a bug that allows survivors to clip inside the model of the locker without "entering" it which makes them invincible completely. (except to pyramid head and artist) So flashlights and the perks that let you get them are disabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KdCnizywJ8
(this video was used in a report i sent to bhvr)

They did however reduce the speed at which you can click the flashlight because it was legit dangerous if epileptic people got cicada'd.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

As for flashbangs and mines, you basically look up instead of down a la flashlights? Also is there any way to detect that a gen has a mine put on it? Should you kick it anyway for the regression or just ignore it?

Generators with a blast mine on them have a visual cue for other survivors only - there's a little flashbang on top of it that smokes and the gen glows yellow. Killers see none of these indicators.
Avoiding a flashbang blind doesn't work via up/down, the blast can still get you even if you're looking straight up - It's best to try and look ENTIRELY away from where the survivor was when you heard the little "tchk!" of them dropping it.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

E: also I see a New Moon Bouquet item in my inventory for posterity that's long since been deactivated. Does anyone remember why those darkness items were taken out of the game?

I wasn't around for those but I think it was partially to address Blendette Gaming, and for them to have more control over the lighting on maps in general.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

o
E: I also get a visual bug where after a match the fog effect etc on text loops really fast. Not game-breaking, but distracting and a bug I think has been there for years now.

It makes the auto bloodweb move faster too I think? It at least feels like it.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Nessus posted:

This is the peril of not playing much Survivor I suppose, I have no idea how common these things are, other than the new one probably having some popularity. Isn't Wesker the perennial hit now?

This was every survivor game I played from like 2 or 3 weeks post-singu release up until Alien day.

I've been on a break from the game recently but the addition of Xenomorph (and the fact that she was bugged + powerful basekit anyway) has simply added a new contender for #1 without actually reducing the number of Weskers I saw. Current stats are Xeno/Wesker, Blight, and then 1 of a bunch of random others.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I personally really dislike going against Wesker (I think the claim he is the "best designed dbd killer" is laughable given his power relies on the notoriously godawful hitboxes and collision, and provides the info+gameplay incentive for tunneling, something survivor mains infamously despise) and I started tracking killers when I went against 3 Penti+Plaything Weskers in a row one night. To see if he really was, in fact, that inescapable or if I was confirmation biasing myself.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Medullah posted:

I mean, I get hook camped all the time and while I don't think I'm max MMR I definitely am not a low tier player.

I get hook camped all the time and I am at "max" MMR (ive gone against several onetrick triple digit winstreak streamers). This isn't a brag - I don't think I'm all that good at survivor, it's just that the softcap is much, much lower than you may think.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Relyssa posted:

The hook camp thing looks like it will do nothing at all against the worst offender, that is facecamping Bubba. He can just chew through the endurance and down you again immediately.

This was, of course, not mentioned at all in the anti camping section of the dev update.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

"Bhvr never changes things from the ptb to live in response to player feedback" I literally cannot think of a PTB in recent memory that made it to live unchanged???
The PTB that nerfed healing to 24 charges was reverted and medkits were changed, Circle of Healing buffed from that PTB.
The Singularity PTB had one of Gabriel's perks nerfed before live, and EMPs were also adjusted in addition to slight visual changes to Toba Landing
The Alien PTB had her see several buffs and QoL changes

If you're going to poo poo on Behavior at least do it with things that make sense (ongoing terrible balance issues, crazy restrictive schedule) instead of making things up.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah once anything hits live it sits there for like 6 months at a time because they seemingly have one person in the company alternating between working on live balance changes and fixing bugs that have been in the game for months or years at a time, as opposed to the 400 people designing killers and cosmetics for future releases. But from PTB? Thata the one place they actually do look at feedback.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Vanguard Warden posted:

Went ahead and bought Xeno, and dear god I can't play this killer for poo poo. The tail attack is a fiddly nightmare and the range/hitbox doesn't make any sense to me yet and I've only hit a turret with it like once, and the tunnels feel way worse than the killers who have a teleports because I have to get all turned around to find an entrance before I can start going where I was originally looking. Maybe I'm just overly familiar with Nemesis' whip and that's throwing me off.

So two things about Xeno's tail attack: It is currently bugged (in a different way from before!) and the actual damage isn't dealt until about a half second AFTER the tail fully extends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhER67NV-Cg

It feels pretty bad right now

And second it doesn't function exactly like Nemesis's whip, ESPECIALLY the drag. Think of the drag more as a bending of the spear shaft instead.
Xeno's tail attack is more akin to a rock on a string (as opposed to Nemesis' stacked spears) and, crucially, the hitbox STOPS when it hits something. If you swat at a wall and then try to drag to the side like you would with Nemesis you will hit the wall and not drag it. If you swat midair and then drag it during the extension (which you can't really do rn due to the delay bug) it will "curve" around the solid object and appear to hit through the wall.
With this you can hit the air above a survivor crouching behind a crate or something, then drag down and "bend" the rope the actual hurtbox is attached to to hit them through the crate.

It looks like reused Nemesis code and feels like reused Deathslinger code.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

Thanks everyone for clearing up my misunderstanding! It's still possible for the effect to trigger really frequently for survivors though, so I feel like it could stand to have some tweaking.

IMO, much like Old Dead Hard (which is still a good perk mind you it's just not universally excellent anymore) and Old Old DS it needs some kind of activation condition that isn't cooldown based. I enjoy that there's an easy to use info perk that's actually good and isn't countered by anti-aura stuff, but it is definitely oppressive as hell as-is. I initially thought about M1 hits (not downs, allowing for hit and run and to not just make it Infectious Fright Two) but that penalizes killers like Billy who don't want to use M1 a lot. It's anti-stealth so my second option of "time in chase" also doesn't fit. I dunno, but tweaking the cooldown I think isn't enough.

rydiafan posted:

MFT is such a dumb loving perk. No wonder killer has the 100% bribe all the time. It's so unfun now.

I've had a "stun the killer with a pallet 6 times" archive from like, tome 3 or something, for a week and a half now. I can't get it because nobody is playing M1 killers right now. In 50 games I have yet to go against Wraith, Billy, Hag, Freddy, Pig, Legion, Twins, Trickster, Pinhead, Artist, Sadako, or Dredge. I bolded the M1 killers and underlined killers who are bugged/low pickrate in general. No Sadako or Legion is frankly crazy but the rest? It's either "MFT has made the killer unfun" or "is a unicorn at the best of times"
In contrast I have gone against more Huntresses since the most recent patch that broke Xeno's tail than I did Xeno when she was oppressive as all hell.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8HieOWGtbs

I couldn't check this guy's hours but this was definitely an MMR Moment. Side note: The blast mine change means it combos with repressed alliance even better than before and my friends have been having a lot of fun with that.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I have wanted to play it for months now but I don't own a current gen console and PC crossplay is off so I have had zero incentive to actually do it unless I want to join Cheater Quarantine. It sucks because it looked real fun.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

Alert. Seriously, try it. See the killer's aura every time they kick a gen, pallet, or wall. It's so loving useful in so many ways.

I'm so glad other people are banging the Alert drum. For like a full year my SWF build was Alert, Distortion, Utility Perk, Archive Perk (with utility perk being UB, Reassurance, DS, some kind of Good Perk to counter potentially difficult playstyles)
I can provide info for my team in 2 different ways, and I have something clutch just in case.

I don't....enjoy solo but in general I think if I tried it my build would be trying to cover the lack of SWF communication? Distortion, Kindred, Any Means, maybe deja vu.
Any Means instead of Windows for a couple reasons. You get an idea of where chase is mapwide by looking at where the pallets are being dropped, you know if the killer is breaking them and where, and you can reset them if you're on your way somewhere else. Windows is a bit more useful in teams because you get the window info as well, but I think Any Means having a bit more utility in lieu of pure info is better for solos.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I just did a Pinhead game where I took Chatterer's Tooth (you can see the box's aura, picking it up does not start a chain hunt but does make you undetectable), Thrill of the Hunt, and Undying, and nothing else. I spent the whole match walking to the box when it respawned and picking it up. The only time I chased or downed people was when they picked up the box.
Before this I set my steam name to "i love my funny box"
I didn't dodge any lobbies before doing this and still somehow managed to find a live streamer with VODs on, and when i went back to take a look it turns out he spawned on top of one of my totems and spent a good 45 seconds trying and failing to cleanse it because I kept picking up the box before he finished and he spent the first 2 or 3 gens super worried about what hex I was defending.

I love loving around like this. Intentionally losing but making them sweat the whole time.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

You could also add Ultimate Weapon and Hex: Face The Darkness for additional chicanery. :allears:

See, I didn't want perks that actually did anything. Thrill and Undying make it look like I have a hex heavy pinhead build, and on most maps I can get to the box over and over before a totem can get cleansed with Thrill slowing it down. The crucial part is that is scares them and confuses them up until they realize I'm just jogging back and forth.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Oh this new background player buff has made all the sabo squads come out to play so Agitation is staying right the hell in the build until that stops.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

PlasticAutomaton posted:

It's kinda impressive that new Skull Merchant has even broken Otz's enthusiasm.

Otz has been really obviously super burnt out on dbd lately, and not even just from a content creator standpoint where people giving up means he can't use any of his footage. He's been frustrated at the direction a lot of the new perks and balance changes have been going (haste and endurance have been slapped onto EVERYTHING) and I think something must have happened re: fog whisperer stuff because for a while there he was talking about how he and others weren't getting listened to etc. That last part is me putting on my tinfoil hat though.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I love playing Wraith, he has a huge range of build potential (especially with his terror radius meme addon that makes the perks that normally aren't good, good) and I enjoy the speed and the sneaking, y'know? He's the only killer I have over P5. When i don't know who to play, I play Wraith.

I have not played Wraith in like 2 months because MFT+Resi makes him impossible. Straight up I've been playing mostly Nurse as my "eh gently caress it" killer because I can no longer be assed to deal with chasing people right now.

Also, update on killer tracking since I hit 100 games: Wesker back at #1, Blight, Neme, Huntress, Xeno all tied for second. Every killer at 2 or less is an M1 killer. (or one of the usual unicorns)

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Pig hasn't been nerfed in ages, and they actually buffed her a while back! "Nerf the Pig" is dead, long live "Nerf the Hillbilly!"

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Kwolok posted:

Give me your most fun absolutely no meta perks survivor build.

Blast mine + Repressed Alliance now have amazing synergy because Blastmine is applied while not working on a gen and Repressed Alliance is. Set up your two minute explosion timer, hide nearby, wait for them to kick, and then repress the gen while they're blind and watch them get confused as to why they can't kick it.
Bonus perks: quick and quiet to run away or hide silently and quickly, and Wiretap so you can watch them get blinded (and then use the wiretap to run, it doesn't get destroyed on a blast kick). Dark Sense (when a gen is finished, the next time the killer gets close you read their aura) and Residual Manifest (blinding the killer applies aura blindness for 30 seconds) also come at the recommendation of a friend.
As a fun side effect, this counters Pop Goes the Weasel inadvertently.

The same friend that pointed out those perk interactions also made this video a couple weeks ago.

https://reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/s/tyx7px3Rnj

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

This is the same thing I keep hearing about TCM: Family is less fun than Victim, and is part of why TCM is doing so poorly.

Balancing an asym has got to be hard as hell and I can't really fault the idea of giving the weaker team the ability to fight back against the power role, but it keeps getting hosed up in ways that make it clear nobody has learned from DbD's biggest mistake: The power role is stressful in a way the other side is not. The killer has to spin 5 or 6 plates at any given moment (gens, individual survivors, the broader game at large) and look out for signs of 16 perks. The survivors have to keep track of the killer, their 4 perks, and the gen spread and that's really it. Survivor is mechanically far less demanding at a base level, and they make up for this by not really having any real way to actively attack the killer. That's not to say there's nothing but every tool they have in their arsenal to fight back is going to get used. DS+UB+DH meta proving this by making all chases last extra long, forcing the killer into unwinnable "pickup and extend chase, slug and waste an entire gen's worth of time" situations, and generally allowing them to throw themselves at the killer over and over to force wasted time.

From what I've seen and heard, the biggest problem with VHS, Evil Dead, and now TCM is that the survivor class in all of those games is doing what DS/UB/DH meta was doing to killers in DbD, but at a baseline part of the game. It makes survivor more engaging, sure, at the cost of making killer as stressful as a dbd stacked meta lobby from 2020 from the get go.
Sure you've gotta keep the larger side of your asymmetrical playerbase happy, but if the smaller side is miserable you won't have any of them at all, and then there's no game.

EDIT: Unrelated, but since the Void location is physically present in the map there's some fun ways they've had to prevent killers who can teleport from getting there. You can't take special items through portals, so Pinhead's box is dropped in the regular map. There's no lockers, gens, or TVs, so Dredge, Freddy, and Sadako can't go there. You can't M2 while in there so you have to use a portal to get back out as well.
They did forget about Singularity though.
Singularity's teleport puts him at the location a survivor was at a second prior (or something close to it) so if a survivor with a biopod comes out of a portal in front of you and you're quick, you can treleport to their location from one second ago: Way the gently caress up in the sky in the void.Going there this way doesn't disable your M2 like the portal does so you can actually stick cameras and poo poo up there.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 22, 2023

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Wiggle skillchecks don't influence the direction, it changes the direction at set times. Hitting greats influences how hard it is to fight back against that movement though (mini boil over), and allows survivors the option not to struggle if killer is giving them hatch or something.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

New Borgo absolutely needed more pallets, the entire quarter of the map between main and shack had nothing in it except for the single high wall tile, despite having 2 almost guaranteed gen spawns in there with 2 more close by. For how often survivors need to go there (running away from gens being worked on in denser parts, or simply being there to work on 2 gens) it desperately needs more safety than it had.
And I'm saying this from the killer perspective. I often dropped chases when they went elsewhere simply because if I caught someone in that corner they got hit.

The map is still fugly.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

They whine about any gameplay mechanic introduced that adds any measure of difficulty or complexity to the thing they've spent 4000+ hours (not an exaggeration) doing, even though you'd expect they'd want some kind of variety at this point, because they simply do not want to play the game anymore, or perhaps they just want the easy hit of dopamine from a practiced skill and to be able to turn their brain completely off with no struggle whatsoever.

This is the real culprit of why the community seems to hate the game and the devs and each other so much. The whole drat playerbase is hugely burnt out but instead of realizing that if you do something for Two Thousand Hours you get bored, they get frustrated instead of taking a break and doing something else.
I tend to stop playing in between events or rifts even if I still wanna play, simply because I don't want that burnout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

The addon philosophy of Killers Through The Ages doesn't help this any. Current addons work like this:

Brown - Numbers reduction/minor power rebalancing
Yellow- Slightly larger numbers reduction
Green - Applies a status effect in some way
Purple - BIG Numbers Reduction or minor gimmick addition to power with possible downside or Survivor playstyle/activation requirement
Iridescent - Info or anti-loop utility not present in basekit

This is a far cry from the mid-stage addon balance of "one brown addon that makes the power worse as a joke, three or four addons that do the same thing at varying levels of usefulness, and then purple and iri addons that completely change the power" which is present on pretty much any killer prior to Blight.
Wraith, for instance, has 3 different addons that affect cloak and uncloak speed, and movement speed while cloaked EACH, which takes up 9/20 addons, even before you factor in the meme addon and the two "clapper" addons that bring this to 11/20 addons that are either duplicated or Straight Up Intentionally Bad. vs Wesker, Xeno, or Smerchant where the green addons apply blindness, hemorrhage, mangled, and exhaustion, no meme addon at all, and a number reduction to the most frequent part of the power.
Myers brown addons are like "straight up worse than the yellow and green addons, which are basically identical with better numbers" and Legion rework brown addons are like "your power lasts 20% longer" because they don't reuse effects anymore.

And then there's killers who they just do not understand how people actually play them, like Pyramid Head or Twins, where seemingly all but 4 or 5 addons affect the part of the power that you actively try to avoid using.