Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Windows is an incredible learning tool and completely fair. Stupid choice for a nerf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm trying to get back into Dead by Daylight after a few years off (last stopped playing in April 2021), so I'm a bit rusty. It seems like the matchmaking is better now so I'm not always against Level 100 sweaty griefers, so that's good.

Did they nerf BBQ and Chili? I remember it giving extra bloodpoints or something but it seems different now.

Also, does Whisper activate in front of a survivor on a hook or is it still useful for knowing if another survivor is nearby about to attempt a save? I have a feeling the hooked survivor "masks" over any other nearby survivor, but I dunno.

They took the BP bonus off of BBQ&Chilli yes, but the BP grind in general has been made a lot more manageable - bloodwebs are much cheaper than before, prestiging no longer costs you your perks and items, unlocking teachable skills now automatically grants them to every killer/surv instead of just putting them into the perk pool and there are BP incentives for playing the role that's lower population.

You are correct in how whispers works - hooked survivors count, so it turning off and telling you where survivors aren't tends to be the more useful info

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Ghostface is the scariest to me, you can never let your guard down (while people aren’t in chase) and the mechanics compel you to be hyper vigilant and spin your camera constantly in case you’re being peeked at from around any corner. Not knowing how marked you are is a bonus source of worry.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

I would be more scared of Hag if she actually existed. (she's almost Twins level of unplayed)

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Furtive chase a whole 25% better, my god BHVR you’ve done it again.

Really though the other changes all seem fairly solid.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

rydiafan posted:

It's impossible for it to get worse, because nobody's going to choose to chase Clicky McBoilOver as is.

This is absolutely untrue at all but the highest skill levels. Learning when not to chase takes a susprisingly long time

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

A Cool Video Game Too posted:

1400 hours is beginner, which sure when you compare that to some of the streamers with 5000+ hour it makes sense relatively but just, absorb that for a moment. Otz considers 1400 loving hours to be a beginner still! Ridiculous.

Yeah with the huge number of combinations of and interactions between killer powers and addons, killer perks, survivor perks and maps there is just an absurdly large learning curve for this game. You have to know that Self Awareness affects Pinhead chained survivors, that the shack wall on this particular map can be shot through by Deathslinger, and to be able to intuit and keep a running tally of 16 perks. And then you need to do it all playing the other role.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

hawkins is a really good killer tutorial for dealing with unsafe pallet loops. Also the longfall had great meme potential

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Surge/Jolt/Surge becoming locked behind DLC again seems like a bad idea - it was one of the only strong generic/free killer perks in the game and its absence will make the new player experience worse. BHVR doing zero work to make Hawkins work with the killers made since 2021 is very funny and on brand. How little time did they have to prepare for this?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Hawkins feels like such a throwback. They'd never do this "20 pallets and maybe 2 of them are safe" thing nowadays. They'd just make Gideon's and call it a day

Yeah Hawkins is wild you have create your own loop by dropping 3 bad pallets and vaulting through all of them to maybe force one break

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

They've "fixed" it so that when a survivor is doing the Cenobite's Lament Configuration, the automatic chains no longer target them. I mean I can get that it was frustrating but still feels like a big nerf.

Only a nerf to playing vs inexperienced survivors so that seems very fair to change.

Chucky curses so much it's amazing

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah the DBD side is 100% going to be a skin for oh I dunno, Meg, Feng and David. And then a killer skin for let's say Deathslinger.

Oh and can't forget a charm.

you get the charm only for buying all 80bux of skins

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

curiousTerminal posted:

Yeah, Scream and DbD both separately got the license to use the Ghostface mask from the costume company who owns it. They actually manufacture a wearable costume for the one with the red devil horn mask, and it's labeled with DbD icons and stuff. You can get it at Spirit or Walmart usually.

I wonder if this is also true for Scary Movie. Was the wassup mask a creation of the movie and thus DBD’s ghostface is more officially associated with the Scream parody than the original, or did they themselves also run the direct mask licensing gambit to save money so the costume company owns that mask too?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Removing DC penalties is still as bad an idea now as when it was last brought up. If you have 0 punishment for quitting, people will learn to just DC in response to the first down/seeing a killer their loadout isn't great against/a killer sided map load up/a teammate missing a skillcheck

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

rydiafan posted:

There's already 0 punishment for quitting, as long as you do it in a way that royally fucks over your teammates.

It takes longer, can be interrupted, and explictly is against the rules and invites reporting. Also this is a better argument for DC penalities to be added to letting go on first hook rather than having them removed from elsewhere!

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

We really are just doing the whole argument over again step by step huh. You are ignoring the effect on large groups of adding perverse incentives to the game to concentrate on the futility of trying to mechanically legislate to stop 'person determined to exit the game at any cost'. People who are complete assholes will find a way but will do so messily and in a way that gets others mad at them and generate reports. This is an enforcement issue rather than a mechanical one. Removing the only disincentive to Escape/quit WILL tempt many, many more players to impulsively say 'this isn't fun (read: going my way) i'm gonna reroll for a new match immediately'. This would ruin so many more games than would improve for the people who occasionally have an internet issue and are made to wait 5 minutes every other week.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

rydiafan posted:

I'm not ignoring anything. I'm a realist.

And yet you're asking poo poo like this?

rydiafan posted:

You say I should report people. Report them for what? Attempting to unhook themselves? Do I report anyone running Up The Ante, Slippery Meat, or bringing salt? Do I report people who are bad at looping and/or hiding? Which legitimate deaths do we make illegal to stop the people doing them intentionally?

Report people who are throwing, the ones who are in 80% of your matches. I dunno how you seem to have so much trouble IDing them when you claim to see so many. Simply do not report the people who are trying to play the game.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

rydiafan posted:

I'll ask it again, since you aren't answering it. Report them for what? Attempting to unhook themselves? Going down quickly in a chase? Being found easily? Which of these things are you under the impression is actionable?

Edit: Also, I've reported hundreds of people for things over the years, from working with the killer to open hate speech, and have gotten confirmation of action being taken exactly once. lol if you think reporting does poo poo.

The people trying to die intentionally. Stop acting like this is some gotcha, there's plenty of behaviour this covers and none of those are it. Running at the killer, pointing at the hook then Unhook x 3 then immediately letting go is the most obvious and common one. You know this, stop mystifying it.

E: I see the goalposts are shifting beneath me, I'm not gonna move with them

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Killer design looks awful to me at first blush, a rejected trapper cosmetic. With how much the design shows off the mouth and eye I guess he’s meant to talk a bunch? And the name is real Action Guy. Guess we’ll have to see

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Some maps like Azerov’s seem to be built around the idea that the survivors 3 genning themselves is possible, even likely, and are balanced out by being too big to patrol normally. I worry any heavy handed solution to 3 genning will just make these maps heavily survivor sided as there’d be no incentive to not just blast through all the gens on one side to get down to 1 gen and then coast on the killers inability to enforce anything anymore to finish up.

This is assuming something on the level of ‘if there’s 1 gen left no more kicking’, something more subtle like ‘gens have a 5 kick limit’ would at least be run into in fewer ‘normal’ games. Any ‘weakened killer’ state at 1 gen solution should be looked at with caution, as it incentivises teams to get the killer to that state as early in the match as possible and might lead to toolbox rushing strats.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Hard kick limit was what I was kinda hoping for, it coming with a buff to kicks is susprising and welcome. Billy stuff seems interesting but i recall it being kinda trivial to self overheat before (for use with gimmick overheated addon builds) by tapping m2 so I hope they going to stop that somehow. Ormond: just as big and decentralised for killers but we turned the deadzones into loops too is gonna suck lol.

STBFL isn't nerfed don't believe the pig mainer lies. The good killer users of this didn't mess around with m2 options they just ignored the obsession and it still allows you to mince through an unhook sequence. With Shadowborn now 'free' is there a reason for killers to not take the FOV buff? Feels like the chance of seeing a surv in your periphery is going to outweigh any disadvantage i can think of

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 9, 2024

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

The coolest thing about plague is the matches are usually fast. She can cause an altruism spiral or make smart use of positional knowledge to use a red puke window to get to a winning position, so can win really suddenly. Or endgame happens and pressure evaporates as everyone drinks up at once for free heals and gets out of there immediately. Despite the swinginess she's a very balanced killer.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

tithin posted:

Was I misremembering a dev endorsing using a cursor overlay a while ago?

If not, has anyone used this yet

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1477830?snr=2_9_100010__apphubheader

I just use a the free windows app one, it's called crosshair V2

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Wake up also ramps up in cost over time so you’ll also hit the noobs who refuse to fall asleep and spend all game clapping at each other. Anything that requires more complexity to counter than ‘hear TR, run away’ is gonna farm low MMR

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Reminds me of the guys from Amnesia the dark descent

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Insanely bad perk, absolutely ridiculous.

Honeypots 1-4 survivors to the basement, occupied them for as much time as they'd save in the generators themselves, practically throws the match afterwards. What is the appeal? Even if you have SFW organization to set up five generators to nearly done, four man push the invocation out super fast and get a simultaneous 4-5 gen.. ok, now you're guaranteed chain slugs if you don't perfectly coin flip the exit gate?

Erring on the side of caution til they see how it plays most likely.

Lores are cool, survivor who’s ’jokes on you I’m into that poo poo’ and the monster getting hijacked both v fun.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 20, 2024

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It still disables when you do conspicuous actions or when the gates are powered so I don't know why you think it's even remotely close to how OP it used to be. It needed those 2 extra seconds.

Even with conspicuous it was one of the best perks in the game when it was 5 seconds so expect people to be letting themselves be ‘caught’ off hook for value once again (then complaining when the killer has to commit to the tunnel afterwards.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Kwolok posted:

I mean good. Tunnelling is still the most viable strat in the game. If someone baits the killer into tunnelling and goes down fast enough for it to activate, that person just guaranteed a hard tunnel out, and its deserved. If the killer is just playing to win and tunnels someone not trying to bait out or do some lovely "tunnel me" strat, and they get caught, maybe they get a second chance to play the game or at least give their team more time.

Decisive is healthy for the game if it is strong. Tunnelling is the single most boring aspect of dbd and it is also front and center of the game.

Used correctly it’s fair and fine, it just seems that no one using it can stand to play a match and not have it activate.