Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
play legion do crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

"How was I supposed to know it was considered toxic, I just thought survivors had fun endgame dance parties!"

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

You can still get perks from the Shrine for characters you don't own.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

holy poo poo, AND he's gonna be talky, AND we're getting tiffany, AND it's both dourif and tilly doing the lines; nicolas cage walked so the killer dolls could run

this might get me to reinstall for a while

also big loving lol that at least part of his power is that he's so small he can go underneath dropped pallets

Nikumatic fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 8, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

The first Child’s Play is still legitimately well made and scary, two is the 80s quippy killer ideal, 3 feels like a cash in sequel that still has some good times but is pretty much the low point of the series. Bride then revived the series with a little bit of meta and a whole lot of style, and is followed by the absolutely goddamn incredible and bonkers Seed; after that the franchise goes DTV with the very good and spooky semi-haunted house Curse of Chucky, and then the very weird but still entertaining Cult of Chucky (probably my second least favorite but introduces one of my favorite elements in the entire franchise); the movie franchise then transitions into the frankly incredible tv series which has been firing on all cylinders and is absolute appointment viewing for us with every new episode.

It is a wild, fantastic franchise and exactly what you want a long running series to be in constantly reinventing itself but also being guided by the same creative forces.

Nightmare on Elm Street was one of my favorite horror franchises for a long time but Chucky has easily surpassed it at this point.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

HIS POWER IS CALLED HIDEY-HO, GIVE THAT PERSON A RAISE

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

i am terrible with blight but zoom man fast go.

I'm definitely in the "gently caress e-bushido" camp. Like you say, encourage good behavior and discourage bad behavior in game; personally, I find face-camping boring and counterproductive (which it is if a competent team tells you to go screw and just does gens while you stare at the person). But patrolling the various lines of rescue once you've hooked someone just makes good sense and keeps you busy, but ah poo poo, that's "proxy camping". I haven't played DBD in months so I have no idea how well the current anti-camping mechanic works, or how it feels on either side, but I definitely think it's a step in the right direction. Some kind of baseline BBQ & Chili that encourages a killer to spread hooks would be more of deterrent against tunneling in average gameplay than anything else I can personally think of; even if it's not a BP reward, there could be some mechanical advantage for the killer. A temporary haste, or more gen damage, or something that could be tuned to balance it such that it becomes less efficient to tunnel because now you're wasting whatever boost you just got by not loving off to find someone else to down and hook. There are absolutely degrees between "play the game how the game encourages you to play" and "don't intentionally be a massive piece of poo poo" but at the end of the day the ball is in BHVR's court to try and adjust that gap.

My partner continues to play actively on PS4 and main Pig and try to farm snoot-boops and has all privacy settings locked down so nobody can talk or message to them and they're pretty much just living the best DBD life imo.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

also no touchin' slinger. I played for the first time in a long while the other day, and played one game as Deathslinger and it just felt super bad.

I can't check for a while, so gonna dare to ask: how much does Tiffany cost?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Apparently if you’re playing as Tiffany, Chucky has unique voice lines toward her when picking her up as the spirit to go hook the survivors which is honestly even cooler imo. It makes more sense to me than using his own spirit to pick up his own doll form.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

lol I guess I bought something with Auric Cells on a sale or something at some point because I have 382 cells on my account right now, which means if I bought a $10 pack then I'd be exactly three cells short of being able to purchase the Tiffany skin.

Gaming was a mistake!

Nikumatic fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 29, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

I absolutely, vehemently do not recommend getting stuck in first person mode as Chucky, staring out through his inside-out eyes and teeth as the camera wobbles like a drunken camel every time you move the slightest amount.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Chucky just feels extremely fun and like a jack-of-all-trades; you can build for stealth, you can build for mobility, you can just be a scampering little troll, it absolutely rules.

I actually have been almost entirely off the DBD wagon since around -- Nemesis? So from Pinhead onward, I only have Sadako (obviously) and Chucky. I've got some Auric cells and shards I can throw at unlocking some other Killers right now.

In the thread's opinion, out of Pinhead, Artist, Dredge, Knight, Skull Merchant, Singularity, and Xenomorph who's got the most useful perks I should be looking out for? Or are there any in particular I should be hunting from the Shrine from them?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Chucky's big weakness imo is that his mobility in getting around the map is pretty not-great. I did see someone who was running the add-on that lowers your power's cooldown any time you miss with the charge, and then using the charge primarily to be a lot more mobile and I think that's got a lot of merit to it. But Blight and Nurse being able to use and ignore terrain the way they do respectively is exactly what makes them such monsters, and Chucky just don't got THAT heat going on (though he does feel very, very good -- especially in the sense that he just feels fun to play as right now, win or lose).

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

idontpost69 posted:

I would really like to see a more goodguy biased alternate audio/outfit.

A straight up Good Guy just reciting his chipper quotes from the films as he murders would be great. My other hope is that at some point we can get an extremely apologetic and unhinged Shitface who’s just trying to make their parents happy.

I’d take a Buddi even as long as it’s Mark Hamill again, but Child’s Play (the original movie and remake) have different ownership rights than Child’s Play (the franchise) because rights are stupid as hell.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Really weird to just throw the Mikaela one into pack three instead of a killer/survivor chapter like all the rest of them.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Umbreon posted:

You can easily tell who in the thread only plays killer

yeah they're funny and handsome and/or beautiful

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

when only two survivors are left and there are three or more gens left, each survivor should be given a knife and the ability to mori the other survivor

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Apparently cheating is back on the menu, boys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aZc7LwGLSg

I haven't seen anything super suspicious, so either cheaters aren't that active at my MMR, they're more subtle at my MMR, or I'm too bad to spot them. But I think I would spot this poo poo.

I think it was either Otz or this thread that told me that stream sniping cheats have gotten much more sophisticated lately, so the biggest pieces of poo poo who want to blatantly cheat are also probably wanting to showboat against streamers.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

also whoever here posted their perma-chase (friends til the end, nowhere to hide, pop goes the weasel, and lethal pursuer + rat poison) chucky build i just wanna say thanks, it has been such incredible fun and now i'm getting low on rat poison and am gonna have to grind up some more asap. i run it with uhhh the yellow add-on that gives you your power back when you miss with S&D, which just allows you to use S&D for the aura reading + gap closing and not feel bad about it if you don't get the hit.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

I agree with you, Relyssa. It's not really about the image of someone hitting CTRL or whatever. And yeah, I can just idle in the basement and read an article on my other monitor until EGC runs out. But it's the knowledge that someone holds you with such contempt and mockery when you're just trying to have fun in a video game. Also yeah, it often enough happens when you're being nice, or perhaps even because you're being nice: they're too busy up their own rear end so they think "killer isn't killing us" must be "killer is an idiot baby with no eyeballs trying to ruin my fun, what an idiot, ggez".

And if you don't believe it's contempt and mockery, or think I'm being unkind or hyperbolic, watch more Twitch streamers for an insight into the minds of these people. I've seen a lot, from a lot of different people at various levels of popularity, that fits this description - killers very obviously being nice or playing around and the survivor instantly leaps to the most unkind interpretation.

Yeah, this is the same in basically any online space; if there is an innocuous thing that can be used to be contemptuous, people will use it for that. You see this a lot in the Marvel Snap community with a subset of people questioning why Kamala Khan, the sweetest cinnamon roll character in the entire Marvel universe, giving a thumbs up and winking at you is equivalent to a war crime while everyone else knows goddamn well why.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

Okay you can't just say that and not tell us why

This is one of the default emotes in the game and it's used as the equivalent of teabagging by users spamming it repeatedly, thereby taking a wholesome character performing a wholesome gesture and rendering it with as much sarcastic power as the internet is able. So you get new players or players who aren't terminally online using it sometimes to try to say "good game!" and everyone else using it to say "gently caress you and your entire ancestry you loser noob".

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah this update seems like, across the board fairly decent? I don't play Blight enough to know how or if those add-on changes will really hit him but Nurse continues laughing all the way to S-tier I guess. FOV slider is a long time coming.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

linked cosmetics need to go away forever

yes especially when the cosmetic completely changes "who" the character is

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

We had issues with our speaker system so we're just using our TV's built-ins now and it's very rarely much of a problem except that DBD screams are somehow the most ear-melting thing imaginable coming out of them.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Probably for the best. I defy anyone to remember anything noteworthy about the Until Dawn killer.

Spoken like someone who didn't gently caress up during an endgame DON'T MOVE THE CONTROLLER moment.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

i am shocked, shocked to discover pay to win elements in this pay to lose game

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

drat sounds like sable's not like those OTHER girls

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

drat, my partner nailed what my brain kept trying to circle around: twistyboi looks like a Behavior interpretation of a Stephen Gammell drawing from Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Yep, writ large people who follow gaming streamers are just looking for someone they can tolerate while they veg out with a game they like, and not someone who they actually enjoy regardless of what they're playing.

Which sucks; I rarely watch livestreams at all, but I love the giddy joy Otz shows in so much of his non DBD content when I check out other stuff of his on Youtube.