Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kwolok posted:

TCM is starting to fall into this category but hopefully the devs can turn it around because tis not designed to be like that

I dunno, people seem to be having a lot of fun with the Family side of things.

It's funny people are sleeping on Leatherface when he's pretty strong and in fact there will be standoffs between randos over who has to play him when if you take a few games to learn him you can get back at Leland bodychecking you by chainsawing him to pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

DBD still sucks, but TCM has been fun so far.

Although Johnny feels like a bad jack of all trades, he can't kill you like Bubba, he can't chase you like Hitchhiker or Sissy, he doesn't have any powerful utility like Cook, it feels like he finds your footsteps and 99% of the time it just leads to something he can't get past while the victim's long gone, hell I was playing a level 0, no points invested at all Sonny yesterday, just kept slipping between one of the small gaps on this Johnny over and over and over, nobody else ever came to do anything and he DC'd after enough of it, literally helpless in the face of my ability to turn sideways. I've seen some people suggest that maybe in the face of a redesign, he could like, put some corrugated metal or something on top of wells like a hatch, which victims would need to struggle to pull off for a second and honestly that'd be cool, but I feel like that ain't happening.

That'd be neat. Blocking off the places the survivors can worm through would make it a fun choice between risking doubling back and Johnny getting you or trying to push forward into who knows what.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

There's also Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed which is an assymetrical as well.

I always forget that one exists and it seems a shame because historically busting has made me feel good but I remember seeing of the originals you could only play Ray and Winston which felt weird. At least throw in some people from Extreme Ghostbusters or Answer the Call.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CuddleCryptid posted:

It just had enough gaps in the design that playing it outside of a group (for survivor) was frustrating and playing it as killer against a group or good solo survivors was maddening

Also it seemed like they ran into some licensing issues and couldn't release any new content for a while?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

canada jezus posted:

Voice chat in lobbies getting a little too spicy for me already. Kinda sad, helps a lot if you can call out dudes to your teammates.

First word a friend heard on TCM's chat was a... Heated Gamer Word from some 13 year old. He hasn't turned it on since.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr. Maggy posted:

i still really liked REsistance and Evil Dead

REsistance seemed like it was fun but Capcom killed it for... not being a runaway success right off? I was unclear on why.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

curiousTerminal posted:

First survivor match of the night: Double iri wesker with a map offering who hard tunneled me at 5 gens even though all 4 survivors brought anniversary cake or BPS.

For some killers, XP offerings mean if they get the match over as quick as possible it's fine because they'll still get a bunch of BP just for kills.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archenteron posted:

God I miss F13. Is that legal rights limbo lawsuit still ongoing?

Well the game's not coming back but to answer the larger question, yes, Jason (and Pamela) Voorhees creator Victor Miller won in court (twice) against Sean Cunningham. It was always completely valid under California law but Cunningham just had to kick. What it means for Jason they're still working out but this means Miller gets a cut of stuff he always ought to have had.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/TXChainSawGame/status/1698747548545015852?s=20

Ouch. Taking PC off crossplay's going to hurt the game if it goes on too long.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Genpei Turtle posted:

Given their rationale I kind of get it. I was thinking of picking TCM up and watched a couple of broadcasts on Steam, and about half of them were blatantly cheating. (had the trainer UI overlay on the game visible and everything). If it’s that pervasive I can see why they’d want to quarantine PC gamers for the time being.

Oh, I get it as well, it's more about how it feels like it could be a problem that trips up the game from the jump. I've also seen a lot of hackers which is dumb for a goofy party game with a man with a chainsaw, and not even fun hackers just like infinite stamina hackers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Kit posted:

Frankly I feel immensely terrible for any content creator who's made their name with a single game. The amount of mental required to stay positive and enjoying a particular game is insane and majority of streamers can't do it, most just becoming really cynical and frustrated. BoxBox, a TFT streamer, is fairly up front and has stated that if he ever plays a different game on stream he loses half his viewership minimum, and will also hemorrhage viewership if he plays another game while waiting in queue. So he's just had to suck it up when it's TFT stream day and sit there staring at a screen waiting for a queue to pop, and is fortunate enough to be able to stream other games occasionally without having to worry for his livelihood.

Yeah, I have a streamer friend who just eventually decided to add Hunt: Showdown and TCM to the rotation because they just can't stand how DBD gets especially in the evening about 7 PM EST when it feels like everybody with a bad day at work wants to take it out on other people.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo it's not as much of a "bad day at work", more you're more willing to try hard if it's the first few games that you play that day.

It was mostly that because once it starts at 7-ish or so it just doesn't stop.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

To compare: I play a lot of Final Fantasy XIV and World of Tanks. When I take a break from FFXIV, it's just a thing. OK, I feel like playing something else for a while, I'll be back when the next content patch drops etc. With World of Tanks it gets to a point where playing the game actively makes me angry and frustrated, and I feel like I never want to touch it again.

Didn't even one of the FFXIV devs tell you to take breaks from it?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I don't think the game's going to die overnight, nor that TCM is going to overthrow it (and the devs don't seem to even want to, they're content doing their own thing), but it's sad how bad things have gotten and how little hope there seems to be of anything changing. Occasionally nerfing whatever perk the spreadsheet says is the problem this month (or more realistically this six months) ain't gonna do poo poo.

It feels like Gun Media knows that if not for the legal stuff Friday the 13th would still be a going concern (Uber Jason RIP) and if they can do that with TCM then it's a victory.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

It was glaring on Nemesis, his zombies weren't nearly as stupid on the PTB as they are now

Which is funny because zombies are half or more of what survivors complain about going against Nemesis.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Danknificent posted:

I had a 13 year old girl inform me that her favorite movie was FNAF, despite the fact that it's not out and she hasn't seen it yet (which she realizes). She was confident in her prediction.

Does FNAF's creator still get a cut of stuff or is it like Notch and Minecraft?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Comfortador posted:

I may just not be noticing subtle hacks, to be honest I'm 99.9% family so my attention is focused on doing my 'job'.

Mostly they seem to be along the lines of infinite stamina and not fun things, like loading in as Leatherface on the victim side.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A shame but, yeah, not unsurprising. Had the problem with VHS where playing Demon/Monster was such a chore for newbies that if you wanted to do anything the players on the other side had to go out of their way to play dumb and the developers never seemed to get it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doomykins posted:

But these survivor favoring games still died. I think it's a case of the 4/5 will howl but keep playing vs the game quietly dying.

Part of it is probably the big content creators making - because they need to game the YouTube algorithm - title cards like "This killer is BROKEN!!" and survivor players going 'well it must be true' and not want anything to do with said killer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Kit posted:

I mean that's you selectively watching certain types of streamers lol. it's not uncommon for survivor main streamers, especially the casual ones, to play exclusively SWF. Whether that's just one other person or a full swf depends on the streamer but it really takes a certain type of player to have the mental for solo survivor queue.

Most streamers I know at least have a community day, but even then they don't often use comms unless they really trust who they're playing with. If somebody says a Heated Gamer Word it's on them, and more than that I've seen randos on comms try to take over the stream for lack of a better term, talking over the streamer and whatnot. Also comms are distracting if the streamer wants to interact with their community.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CuddleCryptid posted:

I keep hearing people say this but imo a lot, lot fewer people care about what storefront a game is on than is what is claimed. It died out because it had gameplay issues, not because they made the cardinal sin of shunning our sacred Steam

I dunno, a lot of folks did seem to go 'I'll wait until it's on Steam' or more accurately 'ew, Epic' because brand loyalty is a poison.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Will never understand the extreme brand loyalty to steam. Valve has sucked so much for longer than they were cool lol.

And Epic gave me Alien Isolation for free.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'm not saying this is proof that DBD is going to die as well because I honestly think DBD has too much inertia and too many popular licenses to truly die. But it is fascinating to see them do the same kinds of design decisions in another game without those benefits, and the results of those decisions. I'm also not going to pretend it's easy to design and balance a game like this so that both sides have a fun and rewarding experience,

I've watched a couple of good breakdowns on VHS and Evil Dead respectively and why they died and they both honestly had the same thing in common in large part, which was making monster/Kandarian demon unfun to play. Maybe because they figured the other side would be bigger so they weighted towards that but of course in doing that it meant nobody wanted to play those roles so queue times just got worse and worse. And playing monster or demon were always a pain for different reasons.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So whatever they did to Skull Merchant doesn't seem to have meaningfully changed her from being Miss All World Three Genner.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Danaru posted:

I already hated Borgo because I can't see the drat scratches :negative:

Just turn on color blind mode.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Scoss posted:

In the post-game with my zero-prestige Billy, a 70-prestige player started poo poo talking me because I wiped them out, calling me a "boring rear end trash killer"-- evidently, because I held W and pressed left click too much instead of excessively chainsaw bonking the environment and letting them run circles around me. I was using the chainsaw as much as I could manage, mind you, and got a few downs with it, but not enough for this dude's satisfaction.

Yeah, I keep seeing more and more 'we were having fun and playing the game' taken by the other side as 'YOU'RE BEING TOXIC.' I was in fact told to unalive myself because I rescued a teammate during endgame collapse against a Huntress and she got no kills. I mean, she got double hooks on everybody, lot of decent axe snipes, played fine but she was "supposed" to have a kill. A lot of these complaints are "Oh no, you killed survivors" or "Oh no, you got out of the gate" and it's getting sillier.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pants Donkey posted:

The reception has been positive. I think it’s a combination of being a goofy, fun skin in a vacuum, and it being historically relevant to BHVR.

Yeah, it's cute. I wonder if it's a test run to sell custom moris like people have been asking for.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

Yeah the funny one is Ghostface who's best add on by far is the camera, which is a brown add on

You can do fine with Artist's brown stuff as well. Apparently Otz half agrees with me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doomykins posted:

Thank you Netflix for realizing that giving people what they want and getting money for nothing was the smarter call than not releasing anything under your own studios. :thumbsup:

Although I would highly recommend buying anything you want from it as soon because God knows when it might go away again, especially if Netflix goes away.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pants Donkey posted:

Welcome to Dead by Daylight, Boss Baby

At least they can't try to claim Springtrap or Candyman, I guess.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One weird outlier I've heard is Art the Clown (probably not) and hilariously Norman Bates because DBD is going to have Anthony Perkins in drag chasing around Feng and Kate.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

They didn't so much "age him up" as much as "the same actor has played him for 35 years" :D

In celebration of Chucky we watched the first Child's Play and not for nothing but Andy's actor is really good for being like six or so. One scene he looks so scared and miserable one might think Don Mancini told him there was no Santa Clause right before the director yelled "Action!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Relyssa posted:

Extremely tame compared to how dbd chat usually goes, tbh.

Indeed. I was told to unalive myself just the other night because I was running Pain Resonance while all four of the SWF had Made For This and assorted meta perks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

Yup and stealth is useless against them. Try an Artist/Huntress match against them and watch them dodge like Neo in the Matrix

Although it's interesting how you can game the system, so to speak. Take Artist with Disco and it's super easy to keep the bots off gens because they always pair up but they flee like frightened toddlers when hit with birds. Nemesis and Xeno can always hit their whip attacks because bots always vault.
Take Bamboozle or just make them repeatedly vault to clear them off a loop.

Unfortunately none of this really teaches you anything about how to play the game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

To be fair, the SWF I play with loses the vast majority of the time, but it's largely because we just gently caress around and use dumb builds.

That's playing the (party) game correctly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bold strategy to institute loot boxes just as China is cracking down on them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tiny Myers posted:

People should make less of a big deal about the dark mangas and more of a big deal about what a huge loving goober Skerchant is that she's a rich bitch and what she decided to do with that was literally cosplay some grimdark anime bullshit and go around killing people in it. What a dork. Like the equivalent of some millionaire dressing up as Lucy from Elfen Lied then killing for fun because she thinks it's unironically badass. I wish they'd leaned into how unbelievably stupid and funny that is, it owns.

Interestingly the average Predator is the alien equivalent of a rich dipshit who hunts wolves with a high-powered rifle from a helicopter so Skully still keeps to their spirit if not their appearance.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nikumatic posted:

linked cosmetics need to go away forever

yes especially when the cosmetic completely changes "who" the character is

I have no idea why Konami is opposed to giving regular flavor Cheryl more clothes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

Game must be hurting for players

People haven't really stopped being unhappy, even as Chucky brought some folks back.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

L.U.I.G.I posted:

I just play one or two games to hunt people down and to have my blood be filled with adrenaline and then I leave.

Honestly that's the best way to do it. I feel for the streamers who I've become friends or at least friendly with have to play this game because if they do anything else their numbers tank but the stream starts with Ghostface tunneling them off hook and then goes downhill from there. I don't blame them for wanting to play Lethal Company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Phoix posted:

The trick to Legion is that Legion is loving awful for "winning" games but they're really good at ranking up. If you just want pips that is the character to play

Legion IS pretty good to train yourself on how to out-loop survivors because God knows you'll need to be if you ever want any downs.