Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

canada jezus posted:

Trying out TCM today, so far i like it better than evil dead. Enjoy being on a team as the killer player tbh. Just had a game with some vocal dudes, which was pretty fun.

edit: crashes are frustrating though

Its pretty fun, but it definitely has some work to do. For a dev team that is only 12 strong I think they did really good, and hopefully can patch things up.

If DBD is tag, TCM is hide and seek. Its tense and crazy (though some victim meta is starting to get taggy, hopefully they nip that in the bud)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

canada jezus posted:

No idea this was done by a team of twelve, kinda impressive. What does taggy mean, like not showing fear and stabbing grandpa a ton? Also progression slows down too quick imo. I've got leatherface at 10 and sonny at 4 and i need to play like five games before i level up again.

Yeah just basically being able to bully the family and "loop" the family with high endurance builds gaming the I-frames and stamina system.

Ideally tcm should be a game where victims fear the family and while they may have the opportunity to occasionally fight back it should be risky and at great cost

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Mr. Locke posted:

They promoted it fine- it got a very big presence in in the launch of it's beta. VHS just fell off instantly because people figured out that playing as the monster was an awful experience- two of the three monsters were incredibly weak after then opening minutes unless you got a very early elimination to snowball off of, while the third monster was probably stronger then the teens but absolutely forced the game into a long, grindy cat-and-mouse game that could go upwards of half an hour as the teens would be forced to slowly whittle down the Dollmaster's resources while keeping themselves armed. And at no stage did the devs ever do anything to actually tweak how bad it felt as the 'villain' of the game.

Like, we complain how bad killer feels sometimes in DbD, but it's a whole league better then it felt in Video Horror Society.

TCM is starting to fall into this category but hopefully the devs can turn it around because tis not designed to be like that

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Yardbomb posted:

DBD still sucks, but TCM has been fun so far.

Although Johnny feels like a bad jack of all trades, he can't kill you like Bubba, he can't chase you like Hitchhiker or Sissy, he doesn't have any powerful utility like Cook, it feels like he finds your footsteps and 99% of the time it just leads to something he can't get past while the victim's long gone, hell I was playing a level 0, no points invested at all Sonny yesterday, just kept slipping between one of the small gaps on this Johnny over and over and over, nobody else ever came to do anything and he DC'd after enough of it, literally helpless in the face of my ability to turn sideways. I've seen some people suggest that maybe in the face of a redesign, he could like, put some corrugated metal or something on top of wells like a hatch, which victims would need to struggle to pull off for a second and honestly that'd be cool, but I feel like that ain't happening.

I main Johnny, and actually I think he is currently one of the stronger killers in the game but he has a high skill floor.

First off the obvious: he is not mobile. He cannot chase players through cracks and crawlspaces. Realistically if a survivor makes it to a crawlspace or crack, unless there is a very short loop around to the other side, your job to hurt is over.

That being said, he is absolutely the single best patrolling killer in the game because there is really no way to sneak by him. Even julies ability to disappear against him only grants her a tiny window of opportunity. People complain about johnny because "I follow a trail of footsteps to a crack!" And yeah, that sucks, but the entire time you're doing that, that victim is panicing, and not doing objectives. Sometimes I just start tracking someone and immediately stop because my intent is not to leave my current patrol but just to scare them into knowing I know where they are. It works surprisingly well.

Johnny exceeds at information. If you know an area is vulernable, maybe a perimeter gate has been done, or the fuse box is open, no one can really sneak by him. He can patrol a semi large area and keep it safe. Family house is 100% his domain. He knows the second anyone sets foot on the first floor, literally.

Secondly, johnny is not a blood harvester and don't play him as such. Maximize damage because you will only be able to hit them once or twice before they go through some obstacle you can't follow. Max savagery, then dump everything else into endurance. Do not bother with blood, let alone in this meta. My build is maxed savagery, with the rest in endurance, and I run the perks: scout, serrated, and unrelenting with the goal to get on a victim fast and hit him. You will pretty much kill anyone in 4-5 hits because he hits hard. I use the grandpa perk that shrinks the killer proximity radius, and level my ability faster recharge -> more foot prints -> investigation time halved.

I still think sissy is the best killer in her current bugged state, and without someone to be able to follow through crawls spaces the pincer ability lacks but teamed wiht a sissy or hitchhiker, johnny is a strong son of a bitch.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Played TCM with Ayrun. Ama

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Comfortador posted:

Is he bald?

Sadly I did not ask. I did say "you sound like Ayrun" and when he said "who's that?". I said "just some toxic streamer" lol

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Releasing a game without a functioning anti cheat and then punishing an entire platform of players because of their gently caress up feels really bad. But I'm a bit extra salty because it means I won't be able to play with my friends

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I pray something gets rid of dbd. The fact that xenomorph feels so fun is because we're so starved for new non stale, dated mechanics. And it really only adds one mechanic survivors side ...

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It's really pathetic. Dev simps are weird. Especially after a dev team categorically fails to deliver a necessary and core feature and then removes a separate core feature to compensate just weeks into launch

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
The bar is so low for a DBD competitor and even TCM is dropping the ball because they are fumbling post launch support so so badly.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Gaslighting is not what happens when people tell you to get good at a video game.

You can't get better against xenomorph. You can only hope they play worse. It's a boring broken character.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Well I don't think anyone needs to worry too much about TCM being the next big thing. The updates they are releasing are anemic as hell, the PC population is already down 70% of what it was, and the core gameplay is already extremely stale.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

GlyphGryph posted:

drat, I am incredibly hooked on TCM. Having way more fun with it, more reliably, than I did ever did with DBD and I was hooked on DBD for a long time.

It's got so much going for it, but I honestly don't know if it will have legs. Despite the good stuff, the devs seem to be an even bigger combination of morons and assholes who have never tried playing their own games than the DBD devs are, and I get the feeling the technically competent devs must not be on the project anymore considering they haven't fixed even one of the common bugs yet to my knowledge. Also, the game clearly doesn't play like they want/expect it to, which is probably for the best, but it makes its strengths feel almost accidental.

Not being able to play with console friends sucks, though, and the PC hacking stuff is only so common because they released, from what I understand, a version with literally no anti cheat at all? And their reporting system is broken so lol

Just curious, what level are you and what side do you play more?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

GlyphGryph posted:

Usually play against people in high 20s to low 30s, don't remember my exact level but presumably somewhere around there. Usually play as Family, either Hitchhiker or Leatherface. I am very bad at surviving as Victim, I know what I should be doing but the game makes me panic in new and exciting ways, hah.

I wonder if you put enough time in if your thoughts will change. There is only one form of matchmaking in the game and its level based, two buckets one below 50 and one above. Of course if there are parties or if the lobby is open long enough it will begin to mix the two.

High level lobbies are truly and utterly insufferable in my opinion. Its nothing but toxic victims who have figured out to exploit every advantage (iframes, endurance builds, stun chainging, fuse box/valve rushing etc). I know because I only play victim these days (I'm level 77). Playing with my friends as a victim at this level is ALWAYS a 2 man escape and almost always a full 4 man escape. Playing family at this level is an absolute poo poo show, where you simply have to play certain family members, and have to play at such a high level of constant stress and pressure. Similar to the problem dbd has for killer but turned up to 11 and insanely reliant on three people doing their absolute best. And even if they do that, there are still some broken aspects for victims that can ensure they escape.

I still quite enjoy playing victim, probably because its so imbalanced in victim favor, but I pretty much barely enjoy family at all anymore.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So a lot of high level play is just crazy amounts of map knowledge, but also the biggest factor in a teams success is grouping and comms.

I also wouldn't care if we just lost, the problem is, a lot of games as family at that level are one of two categories. 1) they rush exits so fast the game is over in under two minutes. Or 2) they abuse mechanics to be as toxic as possible by chaining stuns, abusing doors, doing "sneak attacks" mid chase etc.

It's insanely toxic at high levels and it sucks. I blame streamers.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Lonjon posted:

How bad is cheating on TCM lately? Are PC players still segregated off from everyone else?

I encounter an obvious hacker one in maybe 20 games. But I notice subtle hacking (Like always running just a bit too fast) like 1 in maybe 10. I am shocked to hear the other poster say he doesn't run into it.

Just had a fun one where I kept getting spammed with "Cook has heard you" and was being highlighted for the enemy family. There was no cook on the family team...

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I, like a fool, maxed almost all my characters just before the switch to the way less cost intensive system. Learn from my mistakes fellows, revel in the new way! (Its still a hosed up treadmill grind of poo poo thanks bhvr)

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

He had a pallet right there!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Dawgstar posted:

A shame but, yeah, not unsurprising. Had the problem with VHS where playing Demon/Monster was such a chore for newbies that if you wanted to do anything the players on the other side had to go out of their way to play dumb and the developers never seemed to get it.

Exactly whats happening to TCM too. No one currently wants to play leatherface, because he just gets bullied.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'll have you know l missed countless decisive strike skill checks

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Evil Kit posted:

for me at least it isn't brand loyalty, it's the fact EGS took so loving long to get even bare minimum parity that it left a sour taste in my mouth. Specifically cloud saves.

leaves a real sour taste in your mouth when a game you've sunk 40+ hours into has all the progress wiped because you needed to change PCs and you discover on the reinstall all your progress is gone.

I'd also chalk "why can't it be on Steam" to inertia of having all your games in one place and not wanting to put any :effort: in to get games elsewhere.

edit: imagining booting up DbD and losing the 1000 hours of effort put in, egh.

To further this, I also don't like epic doing the lovely thing of paying for exclusive rights to a game. Let me use whatever launcher I want (steam is miles better than epic, and I don't care if it once was bad, like what kind of braindead take is that?). PC is an open platform and epic is fighting to make it more console exclusive-ey and that's lovely.

Also metrics were leaked at one point and most games on epic barely sell at all, it's a colossal failure but they are still eating loss trying to ingratiate people on their platform.

I'm fine with epic being it's own storefront, I'm not cool with them gobbling up interesting titles so I have to use their awful platform.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So far the anti-camping mechanic seems... fine to me?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Some of you maybe should consider not playing a game you seem to legitimately hate made by a team of devs you clearly absolutely hate.

Anti camping mechanic is fine. If it means some killers might be a bit worse off because of a few extremely edge case problems, but it means other people don't get face camped from minute one in a game that feels worth it to me. And I'm sure they'll tweak the really exploitative stuff.

Yes MFT still exists, and is proof that bhvr have no idea what balance is. But so does blight and nurse. Both sides have stupid obnoxious bullshit that bhvr has no clue how to reign in.

Like yeah the verticality thing feels like spaghetti code, but I'm assuming that's fixable. If not a system like this, how would you solve anti camping differently?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
The flame turrets do seem really weak don't they?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

GlyphGryph posted:

That's the sort of "developer tip" style DLC I'll happily buy for dev teams I really love (like Ghost Ship).

The idea of doing that for the TCM dev team, who barely interact with the community and when they do so do not engender anything approaching good will... it's fuckin' ludicrous. Also Ghost Ships "tip" DLCs are still like half the price!

But considering their current DLC which gives a couple meaningless animations and nothing else costs $8, I totally believe it.

In good news, they finally seem to have fixed stun-chaining.

Their Dev team will literally ban you from the official TCM discord if you are too negative lol. Not toxic mind you, but just discussing or criticizing the game constructively but without praise.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
In case anyone is interested in the dumpster fire that is TCM, here is the latest dish:

- they have still failed to fix a number of glaring bugs since release.
- they still have disabled crossplay and have virtually no anti cheat on PC.
- they have also slowed their pace of updates down so no one even knows when the next update is.
- the PC player population has dropped by 85%.
- they released the first dlc and it is a 16 dollar skin for the one character who is the most miserable to play in the game (leather face).
- in response to the outage of the above, they decided to be transparent and release their pricing models for everything else (10 bucks per new character etc). This ended up with even more outrage.
- they have begun banning/silencing users on their discord who are "too negative".
- they are now removing any posts on Reddit they deem as "repetitive" but all that means is they are removing the near constant posts by the disappointed player base saying that their monetization is bullshit, that the game is still riddled with issues, and that there still isn't crossplay.

Basically this game will be dead pretty quick. Shame too because it had a lot of potential but whatever is happening to it post launch is a huge cluster gently caress.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Comfortador posted:

As a counterpoint to all this: I play this on occasion on PC, mostly as leatherface who I enjoy playing.

If there is a sale or a freeplay weekend I recommend trying it, but it does have a higher learning curve than other games.

At low levels this game is incredibly fun. At high levels this game makes DBD look super balanced.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Comfortador posted:

Yeah I'm like... 28 I think? So I haven't kicked in to that top gear yet, whats that division again?

Its apparently level based with mostly two buckets of less than level 50 and above level 50, but because of how players tend to play once you get above 50 its mostly level 80+ only. That si pretty much all my matches, just level 80+ only on both sides (I am level 86). And it is pure suffering on family side (and a complete walk in the park on victim side)

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Medullah posted:

https://x.com/TXChainSawGame/status/1709248341920416022?s=20

Patch Notes - October 3rd, 2023

A Patch will be rolling out at roughly 4:30PM Eastern US time today on all platforms.

Today's patch consists of various backend stability and server fixes to ready up the title for future, larger patches.

This patch also includes the necessary changes to turn cross play back on for PC, Xbox Series X|S, and PlayStation 5 platforms. Once you install the latest patch, cross play will be enabled and PC will be reintegrated into the pool.

Please make sure to fully close the title and restart to download the patch.

To report any and all existing or persistent issues, please use the support site.

Please stay tuned to the official channels for any news on the status of the upcoming patch.

Thanks for your continued support and patience!

Lmao I guess the rampant negative sentiment finally shook them. I suspect the anti cheat still doens't work but I don't really care and am just happy for fresh meat to be back on the menu.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

rydiafan posted:

Killers are already abusing the vertical camp coding. Had a nurse hook me next to a hill and stand 3 inches away from me, but since she was "on a different floor" the meter didn't go up.

And without the anti camping mechanic this same thing still happens. Sure it doesn't help 100% of the situations but it does help in quite a few where people are aggressively camping. I'd rather it be a bit more forgiving in what it considers camping than punishing killers on a two story map.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Man it is still a miserable experience to play killer in this game huh

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Eh, in my experience, it's just bully squad and my friend in custom that make the game more or less unbereable. At least I can avoid two problem using one stone. Then again, I might be just new.

The problem is, as a victim with the new event, you can set the pace and have fun in the void. As the killer if you waste time interacting with the void, you just lose. The event sucks for killers.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Comfortador posted:

I personally like the game, and I don't know wtf you're talking about with "redesign work" but this is ridiculous.

5 bux per character for 7 essential palette swap outfits? 5 bux for a set of family skins that are just the same outfits but bloodied? That's lazy as gently caress.

I like the game too but it's so horribly unbalanced in favor of the victims it makes dbd look like a master class in balance.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Give me your most fun absolutely no meta perks survivor build.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Yeah I have just over 1k hours but I've memorized every perk. Add-ons however...

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Huh the ghost busters game is now on steam and its pretty ok. Kinda a mix of prop hunt and ghosty stuff. Decently fun and has full crossplay so even if hte numbers on pc are bad seems there are a lot of players.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

rydiafan posted:

Map offerings should veto a map, instead of bringing you to it.

Agreeeeeed

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

OK, I'm a sucker, but.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2383990/Ghostbusters_Spirits_Unleashed_Ecto_Edition/

They put out a 4v1 Ghostbusters game, so of course I bought it. Apparently it has full bot support and custom matches with full progression, story mode etc. They've got Ernie Hudson and Dan Aykroyd. And it was 14 euros.

But really, I'm a sucker for anything Ghostbusters related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtX6Dnkin68

Its decently fun but horrrrrribly unbalanced.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
How dare he put BFF that low. Is it useful? NOT REALLY! But it allows for end game zoomie builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Man hawkens sucks lol