Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

Blasmeister posted:

Windows is an incredible learning tool and completely fair. Stupid choice for a nerf
I'm not a fan of it for a couple reasons. I hate perks that are boring but so optimal that you're pretty much shackling yourself if you don't bring it, similar to mft, they're less perks and more like an optional gamewide patch. If you have any intention of chase being a major part of your game you're kidding yourself if you don't take it. I think it cuts out a big chunk of survivor skill expression, having intuition for tiles and loops was a major part of playing survivor, something you could feel good about making progress towards, windows completely negates that outside of optimization in high mmr builds. A basic map practice mode for survivor, something they should have regardless of windows, would be a better alternative than tile god mode.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

Typical Pubbie posted:

TCM is my first assym horror game and I'm having a blast. Once you start learning the maps, the opportunity for misdirection as a survivor really opens up. I've had DbD in my library for a while, so I finally installed it just to see what all the fuss was about. It looks and plays like an Xbox 360 game. This is supposed to be a TCM killer? Heh.
as trashy and suspect as DBD is in pretty much every facet I think you have to give it credit for being an instance of a non combat gameplay premise hitting it big. A heightened game of tag is such a pure idea for a game but it and many others are lost in the sea of head clicking.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'd be interested to know how many people who play a lot of DBD also play other horror games. When you die in other horror media it is a failure state but it's also basically what you are there for. If you get jumpscared in FNAF or a Necromorph gores you in Dead Space then you lost but the game would be less fun if it didn't happen a lot. Once you start thinking of horror media less of something than you experience and more something that has to be consistently won it changes everything about it.
I actually disagree strongly with this. I think a lot of what makes horror fun and unique is the more drawn out pacing of it compared to other genres, by that I mean if you are cautious, plan well, and make good decisions in the heat of the moment you can go an extended period of time without dying(hence the term survival in survival horror). You are being graded less on any individual encounter and more on your play as a whole. When death is frequent and unavoidable that dimension of the genre is negated and it feels a lot more like any action game where you are expected to master every section before you can complete it. There of course should still be instances of heightened danger, you shouldn't be able to just bruteforce the game with an inventory stockpile but the danger should be something you can overcome with the proper mindset.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

CuddleCryptid posted:

Once you switch from death being a quick response to messing up to having five or six chances for playing badly you lose a lot of the horror element.
I think the problem with this in the context of dbd specifically is that any given match is going to require a significant amount of tedious busy work on the part of the survivor. If the game was entirely a light game of cat and mouse it'd be fine to have your hopes instantly dashed but when you've invested five minutes of progressing and reprogessing a gen by holding M1 that's going to be hard for anyone to be a good sport. If a game were to take the approach you're talking about where death is fast and without mercy you really need to minimize tedium and increase engagement for it to seem worthwhile.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Wasn't the purpose of the game is to have the killer kill people? Isn't that the core premise of the game?
most of survivor bitterness can be traced to gens. Doing gens, tedious work, for an entire match and then feeling like failure was innevitable sucks. Losing a teammate and your tedious objective now becoming impossible sucks. If the entire game say resembled endgame where you're just freely running around by the seat of your pants with no 90 second qtes weighing you down I think people would be better sports about the humiliation of getting ganked.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 31, 2023

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
I would really like to see a more goodguy biased alternate audio/outfit.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
How common do you find it for killers to deny a mercy hook and slug to prevent hatch when there's two people? seems like I've been running into this a lot lately but it might just be bad luck. I mean running into a killer's face and getting left on the ground. killers could slug whenever they want as far as I'm concerned as long as they don't do this poo poo.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 25, 2024

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

Doomykins posted:

It's the smart thing to do and they changed Adept Killer to require a 4K.
yeah I guess, no mercy for both sides.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
gameplay aside really nice to see an original killer that isn't a statuesque dark fantasy model or a stock archetype like evil cowboy, evil knight, probably the creepiest killer design in the game next to myers and the dredge.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 21, 2024

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
A lot of this traces back to gens. They are only tolerable when you have a chance of winning, the second a snowball starts they become nauseating, this is compounded by how narrow the survivor path to exitgates is.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
The social media posts at launch tell you all you need to know. No reasonable publisher would allow unprofessional guilt tripping bullshit like that to be associated with their game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
tbagging at the exit gate(mind when the killer is on your heels, not waiting there dragging out the match) is the survivor equivalent of a mori and isn't toxic.