Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FairGame posted:

You might've figured this out by now but the reason the spider queen saw through your invisibility is because she has the "see invisibility" condition. Pretty straightforward tbh :)

No, I don't think that's it- I actually mentioned in the video itself that she has See Invisibility but it doesn't apply to this situation

In this game, unlike in 5E, See Invisibility
1) Has a saving throw (none happened)
2) Has a range (I wasn't in it)
3) Does not merely let you see invisible people, but outright ends their invisibility so that everyone can see them (Astarion remained invisible, and was even able to use that invisibility against the spider matriarch himself to get advantage on attacks)

Nothing that happened matches up to the way See Invisibility works in 5E at all, and I was able to reap the normal rewards of being invisible on other turns.

This specific ability is just kinda lazily programmed and ignores invisibility. But DOES check for the user being blinded for some reason

I'm guessing it works by their projectile rules. You're not able to shoot projectiles while blinded, but you are allowed to shoot at the location of invisible people (like I did in ep 15).

This could be ok if the ability description said something along those lines, so that players could make informed strategic choices. But the description is somewhere between incomplete and outright misleading on just about every pertinent point. Not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godna
Feb 4, 2013

Melth posted:

I've just remembered a huge problem for this no-rest run!

One time in the past I was doing a similar no-rest run. I rescued Halsin, killed all the goblins, talked to Halsin at the Emerald Grove, and the tieflings got ready for the party. However, since doing the party requires resting, I skipped the party and just went to the mountain pass instead and finished Act 1 and then continued my adventure to Act 2.

The problem is, that meant Halsin never showed up in camp! He'd said he would join us in camp but he simply never did, he never showed up in act 2, and thus I missed out on his entire questline about cleansing the shadow-curse.

Terrible, and very silly.

So I feel like I'm in a bit of a bind here. I either have to rest at the party (maybe injuring my own characters afterward/wasting spell slots in order to mechanically have the effect of not resting?) or have to skip the biggest sidequest in all of act 2, and the biggest fight with it

What do people think?

While I'm asking for input, I'm also considering whether to sacrifice a party member to the great god BOOOAL. The buff isn't really worth it mechanically, but could be fun. The main question to me is whether there's a character I wouldn't mind losing, whose death wouldn't deprive me of too many quests/unique items.

I accidentally did this in a playthrough with a friend. We just didn't rest too frequently. The solution is you can go back to the emerald grove and he'll be there. After you talk to him. He'll be standing beside the unconscious flame fist's bed. After the event he'll join camp. Or at least that was how it worked for us.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Godna posted:

I accidentally did this in a playthrough with a friend. We just didn't rest too frequently. The solution is you can go back to the emerald grove and he'll be there. After you talk to him. He'll be standing beside the unconscious flame fist's bed. After the event he'll join camp. Or at least that was how it worked for us.

Good to know that that worked for you- I know I tried that or something similar and he didn't ever seem to show up with the unconscious flaming fist though. So either it bugs sometimes, or there's another factor in play.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
oh right! you need to goto camp INSIDE the lostlight inn area. he'll be there are no where else for some reason

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Godna posted:

oh right! you need to goto camp INSIDE the lostlight inn area. he'll be there are no where else for some reason

Ah, maybe that's the step I didn't know about which would have made a difference!

Well, I've already played up to and done the tiefling party, but perhaps I can keep that in mind as a way to avoid it in the future.

Challenge Ep 17: Crushing Crusher

One of my favorite battles in Act !

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 18: Gut Nonreaction

One tough goblin, Priestess Gut doesn't even interrupt her sermon when I attack her!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 19: Multi-Level-Up Marketing

Level 5 at last, a very exciting time for strategy!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 20: Death By Water Bottle

At long last, I'm able to implement a combo I've been planning for a while!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 21: Who-All to Sacrifice to BOOOAL

Apparently, not everyone knows about this hidden area in the underdark where you can sacrifice a party member to a made-up god.

The reward isn't really worth it mechanically, but I've been wanting to try it out anyway.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Nobody posts which is a bummer but I just want to say I'm enjoying this and find the tactics pretty clever.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Same, with the caveat that I'm not done with my playthrough yet so I skip ahead whenever I suspect spoiler talk is incoming, with limited success (not a knock against the LP, to be clear).

Also, it's funny to realise the jank is not exclusive to the console version when someone good enough to do a challenge run sometimes struggles with some of the same stuff I do.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FairGame posted:

Nobody posts which is a bummer but I just want to say I'm enjoying this and find the tactics pretty clever.

Thanks, that's nice to hear! I'd been wondering if someone had cast Silence a few episodes ago.

Storm One posted:

Same, with the caveat that I'm not done with my playthrough yet so I skip ahead whenever I suspect spoiler talk is incoming, with limited success (not a knock against the LP, to be clear).

Also, it's funny to realise the jank is not exclusive to the console version when someone good enough to do a challenge run sometimes struggles with some of the same stuff I do.

Have you noticed any differences with the console version when comparing to seeing this (or other) PC runs? I don't think I've seen any footage of the console version. In any case, it's certainly fun of jank on the PC!

It's also often full of junk, like the 50,000 assorted mostly empty boxes and barrels in this basement:

Challenge Ep 22: Secret Items in the Tollhouse Basement

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Melth posted:

Have you noticed any differences with the console version when comparing to seeing this (or other) PC runs? I don't think I've seen any footage of the console version. In any case, it's certainly fun of jank on the PC!

Well, the obvious big difference is the pad control scheme and associated UI, the PC version's menus and keyboard + mouse interface, especially with the type-name-to-find-thing search, are much better. A particularly spiteful choice on the console port is mapping the Alt(?) key to highlight items to the analogue stick button while the Y face button sits unused, and there are no remapping options.
All in all, this CRPG seems ideally suited to be played on a computer, who knew?

I get frequent soft freezes during inventory management, usually when splitting items or sending things to camp. The necromancy of Thay book entirely vanished from my inventory sometime after I'd read the first part of it (not sure how long after, only noticed much later when all my old saves had been overwritten) and I'm unsure if it was a bug or a legitimate quest outcome.

But the jank I spoke of is the "party members accidentally triggering traps on their own", "stealth battles not starting properly" etc game logic that from my limited understanding appears to be mostly identical on both versions so far.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Melth posted:

It's also often full of junk, like the 50,000 assorted mostly empty boxes and barrels in this basement:

Challenge Ep 22: Secret Items in the Tollhouse Basement

Nice segway :cool:

I'd wish I had more to add, but I don't know much about the game.
One thing: It seems like a lot of what you do boils down to controlling the battlefield and attacking when you can't be retaliated against. It's very impressive, and I'm honestly enjoying this LP a lot, but do you ever worry it'll become repetitive, and you'll feel a need to mix up your strategy, or does the challenge keep it exciting for you?

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 14, 2024

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

FairGame posted:

Personally I've replayed Act 1 a dozen times, so the videos going over dialogue choices and roleplay justifications and the easy fights I kind of just skim over. (Also, it's a personal hangup but I find all the rants about Lae'zel and Astarion pretty offputting, and I feel like Lae Boing Zel is a joke that gets old after 15 minutes)

Still keeping an eye on the LP though, there's a lot of big fights I'm interested in seeing. I wouldn't be surprised if discussion picks back up once there's more going on to talk about.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Snake Maze posted:

(Also, it's a personal hangup but I find all the rants about Lae'zel and Astarion pretty offputting

Yeah, the writing is taken at face value a lot. Which is fair—I think of I was our protagonist, I'd react much the same way—but I suppose it depends on the standards you hold Forgotten Realms stories to, and on which tone and complexity you expect.
Forgotten Realms being a product of 1970s fantasy and the default DnD setting, Larian going for a more pulp-y, easily understandable approach (see also the comically one- note horrible goblins), a Bioware-ish/YA writing style, does seem congruent with that, but man. Can you imagine someone with the sensitivity of the Disco Elysium team being in charge of the story?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
In an exciting turn of events, the new patch today adds some more legendary actions for bosses!

Unfortunately, two of those bosses I've already fought.

It also fixes some of the quality of life and convenience issues and bugs I've been noticing over the course of the run, so that's nice!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Melth posted:

In an exciting turn of events, the new patch today adds some more legendary actions for bosses!

Unfortunately, two of those bosses I've already fought.

On the bright side, it sounds like Ragzlin's wouldn't have changed anything.

Patch Notes posted:

In Tactician Mode, Dror Ragzlin's Leadership Aura will now also debuff his enemies
Won't help him much when he gets oneshot by a lightning bolt! (Unless they also buffed its radius or something, I haven't seen the fight post-patch)

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Snake Maze posted:

On the bright side, it sounds like Ragzlin's wouldn't have changed anything.

Won't help him much when he gets oneshot by a lightning bolt! (Unless they also buffed its radius or something, I haven't seen the fight post-patch)

It looks like there are two changes to Ragzlin:

1) His leadership aura imposes some sort of debuff, even on tactician rather than Honour

2) Once per round as a legendary action he can grant Action Surge (an extra action) to all absolutists within 5 meters.

So neither would be relevant since all his nearby allies died in the same blast he did, and he didn't have a turn to activate leadership.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 23: Secret Bonus XP!

Over the course of this run, and a previous one, I've found there's more XP available in act 1 than I'd previously thought.

I'm now wondering if it's possible to get all the way to level 8 in act 1. Previously I could never do better than 7.5

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 24: Flaming Flaming Fist

I never thought of these people as fightable enemies until this run, but they're pretty challenging and fun!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
A couple of people had asked about this, so here's a side video showing how the goblin siege battle would go on this kind of run. To make it tougher, I decided on a goal of taking 0 damage not only on my own party but on the tiefling allies too:

Challenge Side Video: The Goblin Horde Siege

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 25: Gith Patrol Pest Control

I was surprised to learn recently that a number of people consider this fight against the githyanki patrol to be really hard, or even think the githyanki patrol is overpowered.

Considering all the warning signs about how dangerous they are, and that a literal dragon is sitting right there seemingly ready to defend them, I've always thought they felt underpowered instead.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Some folks had asked in video comments about my current builds, so here's a side video about how character builds and overall party strategy stand midway through act 1, before I enter the mountain pass:

Challenge Side Video: Character Builds

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 26: The Secret Creche Shortcut

Half the point of this episode is that there's a way into the githyanki creche that lets you skip all the fights for now... but on the other hand I really enjoy the death shepherd fight, so I did that one anyway.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 27: What? Mind Flayer Parasite is Evolving!

Three crucial die rolls to determine if the character is powered up or weakened for the rest of the game. Fortunately, I've been prepping for these rolls since the early episodes.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 28: 157 Vlaakiths

The Arcane Tower is a very interesting and atmospheric little dungeon. One of the few dungeons of BG3 that doesn't rely mainly on combat encounters

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 29: Haggling & Hags

This was originally recorded as one video along with what will be episode 30, but it turned out to be too long.

Battling the hag is one of my favorite sequences in act1; I had a lot of fun with this.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 30: Hag Lair Hag Hair

The second phase of fighting the hag is an interesting battle in her lair where she has quite a few tricky tactics available

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Side Video 2: Hag Potion Tips, Tricks, & Secrets

Making a special video this time about one of my favorite sections of act 1: finding uses for as many of these weird hag potions as possible

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Interesting, I always just sort of ignored the Hag potions figuring they were all traps (because, you know, evil Hag). Cool that you found a way to get some use even out of some of the negative ones.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 25, 2024

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

MagusofStars posted:

Interesting, I always just sort of ignored the Hag potions figuring they were all traps (because, you know, evil Hag). Cool that you found a way to get some use even out of some of the negative ones.

The hag's potions are plain old helpful surprisingly often! She gives you a real moderate healing potion for example, with seemingly no side effects.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 31: Boss Rush: Owlbear, Spectator, and... SALAZON!

Before moving on to Grymforge and the Githyanki Creche, there is a grab bag of bosses and powerful monsters that are either off the beaten path or which there was no roleplay reason to fight until now

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 32: Act 1 Bosh Rush Continued: Bulette & Filro

I've been putting off this bulette fight forever, hoping that a patch would make the bulette's legendary actions work properly. Sadly, that hasn't happened, so it's time to just put the thing out of its non-legendary misery. It's still a big fight at least, and then makes a very fun pet!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 33: Bernard Battle: No Sussur, Glut, or Gravity

This is one of the toughest fights in act 1- or at least it has the potential to be. One can trivialize it by either knocking the robots off the roof for massive easy damage+crowd control, or plonking sussur blooms next to most of them which shuts them down effortlessly, or the fun way by bringing in Glut and the previous Bulette boss and having the bulette battle your new enemies!

All those methods can be pretty fun, but I decided that to add some extra challenge onto my run I wouldn't use any of them here.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 34: Fungicide, Destroying the Myconids

A battle I've never seen anyone else do: taking on the entire myconid town without just instant-winning by killing Spaw immediately.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 35: Boatmurdered, en Route to a Dwarf Fortress

Dwarves in ruins full of magma, heaps of corpses, and a blighted wasteland full of dead traders outside. And of course, all the boat-murders one could want on the journey in. The only thing missing is that the dwarves are at war with their Deep Rothe rather than elephants.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 36: The Worst Dwarf

Disgraceful, having to ask a random elf that walks by to explain stonework to you!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 37: Moulds, Mephits, & Magma

There's a great variety of battles on the path to Grym, as we collect the adamantine ore we'll soon be using.

Man, this isn't even CLOSE to where that one duergar last episode said he found adamantine slag. It's pretty much the complete opposite side of Grymforge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Challenge Ep 38: Grym- No Damage, No Cheese

The long-awaited battle against Grym. I managed to do it with no damage, though that's at least partly luck of when the Magma Mephits go in initiative order.