Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Natural 20 posted:

I broadly really enjoy 5e, I think I'm the only person in the universe who seems to. But the set stat to x items are just very silly and should probably just be flat stat bonuses instead.

SA has a real hate for it for a range of complicated and slightly muddled reasons, but yeah i don't think you're the only person to like the most popular ttrpg in the world.

i've played them all and I think 5e captures the essence of d&D really well, which ipso facto makes it kind of mediocre, but (e.g.) advantage is genius and concentration is a very clever way to address spell caster supremacy, and the compressed stat spread is a good way of avoiding some of the 3.5 pitfalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah let's agree to disagree and move on I think, it's probably not that productive and distracts from the lp.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's fun hitting people with a big sword, and the game isn't hard enough to need that level of optimisation? Also you have different options for loving with baddies up close, like kicking them into pits, knocking them prone to get advantage etc. E.g. you don't need to always take the -5 to hit, and can save that for when you have advantage.

If that kind of optimisation is fun for you then sure stick with the crossbows, but i do feel like your analysis is ignoring a number is potential considerations around advantage and magic items and spells, so keep going with it imo.