Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Slaan posted:

You can do things by just left clicking. You don't need to right click everything or press the attack button on the bottom. The game will do the obvious basic action like opening a door or hitting a guy with left click.

You should make sure to change your camera angles too. Lots of context in the environment.

Yeah absolutely to both of those. Also press alt sometimes.

This playthrough seems fun. I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The new microphone set-up is way better!

Love that this group of professional faithers completely fails at religion.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, to be quite frank, I have my grievances with 5e stats and leveling up. I was never a fan of the fact that only every even stat point matters either. And stat increase ls are so rare that you would rarely opt to take a cool feat instead.

Also there are stupid meta tactics where physical warriors would actually dump strenght because they just assume that they'd get a Belt of Hillgiant strenght at some point. That item is so stupid.

Edit: To clarify for the people who aren't D&D nerds: that silly belt gives you a flat strength stat of 21 unless you are already above that. So that thing helps you just as much if you are at 19 or at 6.
There are also even stronger versions of that thing.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 1, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, imagine if you get one of these in am actual campaign. You would either give it to your 18 strength fighter for a meager increase and a feeling that he wasted his time on upgrading that stat so far, or you would hand it to your spell focused cleric with a strength of 10 and suddenly have that guy smarter and stronger than the fighter.
Alternatively, if the DM really hates the fighter , he lets them find that thing just after he climbed to STR 20.

Flatly setting stats with equipment is such an awful game design, that I'd feel personally insulted if a DM dropped one of these in a game I'm involved in.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
F5 is your best friend at all times. Unless you are the sort of person who savescums because they can't deal with failing a diceroll way about their stat level, I guess. That would be tedious and pointless.
I actually finished the game today. Man, it's a big one.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Some small shopping tips to streamline your experience:

You can use ctrl + click or shift + click to select several things.
At the lower end of the screen, there are scales, that adds the exact gold value difference.
You can also click at the top to change it into a straight up buy/sell view.
On the lower left you can also switch the current shopping character without re-initiatiating dialog.
Don't sell your thieves tools. They're super useful and barely worth anything. They get used up on a failed lockpicking roll, so you can quickly end up empty if you find a hard lock.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The reason you hated Shadowheart and suddenly don't anymore and can't even remember why you did in the first place: (not a real spoiler) The Bangs. She looks so much better with a hat on.
Also that strange ox really sucks. I hate it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Melth posted:

I'm quite curious about the strange ox. We recently (but not for several videos) found Speak with Animals and are going to use that.

That spell (or potion) is the absolute best and should be applied generously.
Larian is really great at giving those animals voices.
Just don't kill that ox! It breaks some mostly unrelated scripting if you do. This in turn ruins a sidestory. I was really annoyed when I found that out like 20 hours later and don't get why they did it this way...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The thing is, I don't even think that particular causality is actually a bug. Just a really weird progression flag decission.

During my playthrough I was mostly free of actual bugs. Just small stuff like the map markers of a particular completed quest not going away. But I think it gers weirder if you take the less conventional paths.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
You should really have a closer look at 25:30. I guess the loot was too alluring there.
Also those goblins were temporarily hostile because you could have absolutely solved that encounter peacefully until you attacked those innocent bystanders for no reason whatsoever. How evil of you.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 24, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Just use a standard fighter. It may not be as flashy, but for the big fights you're gonna use action surge in the first round which is a massive improvement if you already have double attack. You can also use that one subclass to use all those attack for disarming and goading. If you really want to use busted stuff, you combine that with haste to get like 6 actions in one turn turn. (later on up to 12) Plus, if your strength is high enough, you can just jump everywhere to make sure everything is in melee range.

Unless you're fighting large groups of enemies physical fighters aren't quite as terrible as in base 5e. My main character was a monk and by the end, she was just ridiculously strong, even compared to Gale. That wasn't even one of those absurd 500 damage per turn builds, since I made her a shadowmonk with focus on sneaking and exploring. (And using darkness and minor illusion to convince non-hostile enemies to lean over cliffsides where nobody can see them.)

You're not playing of legendary difficulty. Unless your making some severe tactical blunders, you wont have extreme problems, so you probably shouldn't sweat it. I left some of my guys on their default path and didn't even respec their inefficient stat distribution and it worked out fine. There's some really overpowered stuff in there and at some point I actively decided against some of it because some tactics were making the combat to boring.

That being said, I have no real familiarity with Gloomstalkers, so I can't actually help you there.
If your main focus is to challenge yourself to produce the highest number, at the end of the day, the best option for that will always be picking a fight with 50 enemies, stuffing them all into a small area and using a reliable AoE spell on all of them. No fighting class could ever beat that.
Unless you want to make ridiculous stacks of explosive barrels of course!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yVOcyzadvI&t=141s

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 26, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Well, those are indeed conditions which are a bit more harsh. I know of a couple of cheesy ways to do that, but i doubt you'd like those. Of course if someone REALLY wanted to play an optimized game they could quicksafe before every single attack and force the RNG to never get hit.

Frim what I understand, Crossbows are just really strong in general, unless you're in a situation where you are constantly swarmed and have ranged disadvantage. You can even dualwield them. Some dude who did a one man no leveling no resting challenge did it that way. I don't know how far that went on.

The Baldur's Gate 3 thread in the video games forum is quite active and they may help you optimize builds. Of course, someone might randomly throw a spoiler there, like offhandedly mentioning the name of a party member you haven't met yet.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That's consistent with the tabletop, isn't it?

"Surprised creatures cannot move or take actions (bonus actions included) on their first turn during combat."

Yeah, setting up ambushes and surprises is really strong.
If you really fear dying on the first round because all of your guys are surprised, there's the Alert feat to circumvent that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 9, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
You can get significant use from that book, well before chapter 3.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I do love how Wyll became the butt of your jokes, entirely unrelatedly to his lackluster personality and story line.
But I hope you meet the best companion at some point soon.

Since you mentioned that your actual playthrough is a bit farther I dare ask: Did you ever revisit that church? You weren't done there and missed the main thing. But from what I gather, that resolves itself anyway by chapter 2.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Convenient that you addressed my question in the very next video.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Picking a fight with a whole castle of goblins at once seems like a bad tactic. On the other hand, standing out of reach is good.

When I played that part, I sneakily killed every single gobbo without even triggering open combat. It took a while.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 31, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Also, there's this beer barrel just sitting there.

The funniest thing about those goblins is that they absolutely grovel to all dark elves.

"You were the one who poisoned the beer!"
"Well, yes. Be glad that's all I did!"
"I... I didn't see anything. *to the others* These guys are absolutely innocent."

Of course what I did was continusously cast minor illusio. To lure these guys to the cliffs and have [unknown character] pick them up and throw them down.

Fun fact, trying and failing to pick a neutral character up as an improvised throwing item doesn't trigger aggro, so you can just repeat it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Honestly, trying and failing to pick someone up should be an aggressive action. They may have fixed that interaction nowadays.

But it is fun to pick up every singe barrel and sent them to camp to save them for a rainy day. And one day, when you meet an enemy you particularly don't like you can bury them in dozens of barrels and set all of those off to kill them tenfold.
Of course it's absolutely cheesy and takes some time to set up, but sometimes cheesy nonsense is fun in games, as long as you don't actually rely on such tactics.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Latest Video: You were so annoyed about how sanctuary didn't work like you'd assume. But you never actually used that spell, since you went for the bite instead.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah I agree with that. Challenge runs are only as fun as the variety they bring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
A challenge run where you have to kill at least one person with a powder barrel in each encounter.
That might actually be kind of hard since you'd have to avoid battles to spare resources.
It doesn't sound all that fun to watch though.