Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Where's this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Where's this one

Dry Plain. Kind of the other end of Lake Eucambene to Adaminaby. Snow Mountains, NSW.

That's probably a good spot to check out on street view if you dig a different kind of nothing.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

This is a fun idea! As a European my idea of faraway and exotic obv also includes the United States, so I'll just load up the random state and random county generator and see where it leads me... Fall Rivers County in southwestern South Dakota it is! Not the most lively place I'd say at just over 7,000 people in an area that's more than six times the size of my 137,000 people Landkreis (=German county equivalent) so that's definitely already very different from where I grew up! The county seat and largest city is Hot Springs, where just about half the county's population resides in, which is also where I'll be looking at:

well that's a weird start

I'm seeing a pattern here

ngl that looks really nice. completely devoid of people though

this is the only picture I could find where you could actually see people

those huge cemetery tracts are also super American to me, because our graveyards tend to be much smaller and because of the limited space most graves don't last for longer than a couple decades before a new tenant moves in

and finally:

:911:

final verdict: would go to Hot Springs, SD and look at the mammoths there while simultaneously wondering if the rapture happened and I got left back

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Was looking around Edinburgh and man people in Scotland sure know how to live:

Good restaurant name

Cool-looking "haunted pub":

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'm reading The Sabres of Paradise, a history of the Murid Wars in Caucasia, which was a big inspiration for Frank Herbert in writing the Fremen of Dune. So as I do I go Google street walking in Grozny, in modern Chechnya, and I found this:

It's just called Globus, and is apparently a restaurant

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Here's a buffet in Uruguay with a giant picanha skewer out front

$10 all you can eat

AARD VARKMAN has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Sep 24, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Somebody's gone and buried their treasure in the mashed potatoes!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I would gently caress UP those stuffed pumpkins

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I do a lot of Google tourism although I admit I also find it really depressing sometimes to look at all these amazing places that I will never ever see in person. Still, it's fun.

Been checking out Palau today, which I got to through looking at a list of world capital cities by population. Palau's capital is dead last with a grand total of 0 residents. Apparently they spent millions on building a new capitol building in a place called Ngerulmud and moved the government seat there, but it's literally the only building in the "town". Here it is:

There is a nature reserve not far from it, however:

Palau's previous capital city is also its biggest settlement, Koror City. Here's a view of Main Street from a Chinese restaurant:

Obligatory:

And just outside Koror is Nikko Bay :eyepop::

A local business:

And your typical tropical beach scene from the north of the island:

Sway Grunt has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Sep 24, 2023

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

Somebody's gone and buried their treasure in the mashed potatoes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ0B6kvFy-k

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Have this weird Australian house that does not belong where it lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
A weirdass spiral coconut tree on Chole Island, Tanzania:

Sway Grunt has a new favorite as of 14:16 on Sep 27, 2023