Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
You Drew Imakuni? Let's Play The Pokemon Trading Card Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 17 - Go Out Fancy

Okay this is the episode where I read the Charizard card properly, I told you I wasn't dumb

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 18 - Flush With Energy

He's a bit unwieldy, but drat if Charizard doesn't make it work

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 19 - Oh, Grimer

They're good decks dammit

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Literally every time I've ever tried running a deck with more than one type in it, I end up with pokemon of one type and drowning in energies of the other.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

around the time that this game came out, there was a guy at school named ronald who was a huge loving rear end in a top hat, so thank you for beating the poo poo out of him in effigy in a card game

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
drat that Grimer put in the loving work

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 20 - Pisses And Cries

Hey we actually made it to this tournament cup or whatever :toot:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Man, that magmar really just looks like it's doing a seinfeld impression. Caught right in the middle of going "what's the deal with"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
using your one ghost pokemon as a meat shield against the one normal pokemon in the psychic deck: it's a strat

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 21 - Really Went For It

Boy I sure wish we didn't miss the first tournament, whoops

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You could have won like three turns earlier if you realized you had a Pluspower in your hand, but the way you actually won was very funny so it worked out.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Murray's overworld sprite makes him look like a dog-man.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Good to see Imakuni again. Also that victory against Ronald was perfectly petty.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 22 - How Do I Get

Like fifty loving Pikachu cards but only one kind of Eevee this is horse poo poo

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

who needs more than the one. tail wag is the only move you need

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
This was long, LONG before they hit on the idea of using Eevee as a secondary mascot alongside Pikachu.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

This was long, LONG before they hit on the idea of using Eevee as a secondary mascot alongside Pikachu.

rip togepi, forgotten and abandoned

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Even as a kid I saw Togepi and was just like wow yeah I'd kill that thing with a hammer

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 23 - A Short One

Four energy. For one move.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Pretty sure you can change the time in Gold by just looking at the clock in your house.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

bbcisdabomb posted:

Pretty sure you can change the time in Gold by just looking at the clock in your house.

Nah, you can only go to your mom to switch between summer and winter time. I remember that this would force people on your phone list to call you so you'd get stuff.
Apparently, there is a way if you press a button combination on the start menu and enter a code based on you name, ID and money. That seems to be a holdover from debugging times and was removed for Crystal.
But those early gens had a lot of obscure stuff in it. Why did they even bother implementing the Pokérus, if basically nobody gets to see that?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 3, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
That Zapdos is such a one trick pony, I would only use it for coup d'graces

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Apparently, there is a way if you press a button combination on the start menu and enter a code based on you name, ID and money. That seems to be a holdover from debugging times and was removed for Crystal.

It's still there in Crystal, they just made the button combo more elaborate. But yeah it's almost definitely some kind of debugging feature that was left accessible for cartridge maintainance or whatever.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 24 - Only Has The Energy To Snivel

Maybe there's something to this whole "actually planning your decks" thing

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 25 -

In-laws are visiting someone else name it

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

Pulling a mulligan.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Personally, I don't see the point of Focus Energy unless you don't have enough energy for Bite, or they've used a Defender or something else that prevents you from doing damage.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I guess it's useful for situations where x amount of damage gets ignored or you need to do more than x damage to be effective at all as well.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, those are exactly the relevant situations. In regular play it's strictly worse than just biting twice. Either you get two attacks, after another, in which case it'*s just identical, or you die after the first attack in which case you just deal 30 damage less, since you focused for nothing.

The only good reason to use it is to effectively get an extra attack if you're one turn short of having the energy for bite (provided you survive that turn).

Geemer posted:

I guess it's useful for situations where x amount of damage gets ignored or you need to do more than x damage to be effective at all as well.

Are there even any pokemon with resistance to water around?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

cant cook creole bream posted:

Are there even any pokemon with resistance to water around?

Not naturally, but there's always stuff like Porygon with its Conversion.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Besides getting around resistances, it helps get around healing abilities and similar abilities like Alakazam's pokemon power. If you're playing against an actual human you can also use it as a bluffing tool, sometimes psyching out your opponent and baiting out a response can be more valuable than just doing 30 damage. It's still pretty situation but does have some use.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Pre-empting a retreat is another edge case. CPU players sometimes switch out pokemon if you're in range of knocking them out the next turn, but with a Focus Energy + actual damage move you can blow them away without risking that.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Danaru posted:

"Can't gently caress With Muk" is right there if Youtube isn't being an rear end about that.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
How did nobody bring up how I used Focus Energy to neuter Tauros' rage attack that time you guys have no problem remembering the times I blow it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 26 - One Sleepy Bird

Why would anyone make an ice deck before Glaceon existed though

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm so angry at how well that fight against Courtney went. These games kicked my rear end when I was 10 why are you doing so well

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

He is an epic boy, as he has mentioned on several occasions.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm so angry at how well that fight against Courtney went. These games kicked my rear end when I was 10 why are you doing so well

Because, despite how we all like to focus on everyone of Dan's mistakes, he's actually quite competent at video games.
But to be fair it's so much more fun when everything suddenly goes belly up. It was fun how the water club eviscarated him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPkDAleFVIc
Good times.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Steve (Derogatory)