Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

we derailed pretty hard in the trump thread. Down with trump, up with pizza.

There's mine, what are you having?

Pizza owns. There's no such thing as bad pizza. there's definitely pizza thats better than other pizza, but all pizza is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe
Pepperoni Motor City Pizza from Costco is the best pizza you can buy in a store and anyone who says otherwise is a lying liar

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The gently caress You and Dine subreddit has done this already a bunch

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Still laughing at the fact that during covid, Chuck E. Cheese tried to survive by putting all their locations up on grubhub and doordash under pseudonyms, and tried to pretend they were local pizzerias

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I think our family favorite is Paisanos but I miss 80s pizza hut pizza, shakeys and Armands of Chicago.

I also used to bribe the dominos delivery guy in college to pick us up beer and cigarettes and that owned*

*cigarettes do not in fact, own

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

im a magician but my only trick is i can turn any pizza itno human poo poo by eating it (the pizza)

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Aishlinn posted:

Pizza owns. There's no such thing as bad pizza. there's definitely pizza thats better than other pizza, but all pizza is good.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940135&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Get a pizza with hot peppers and onions

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
i just cooked this tonight

there's a generous layer of deli pepperoni under that cheese

yeah i coulda put more toppings on but whatever i like pep

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pepperoni is the best pizza topping, followed closely by sausage. After that it's a loooong way down to, like, bacon crumbles or black olives or whatever

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
get a pizza with smaller pizzas on top

and the smaller pizzas on those

and smaller pizzas on those

and so on and so on

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Junk posted:

i just cooked this tonight

there's a generous layer of deli pepperoni under that cheese

yeah i coulda put more toppings on but whatever i like pep

Sorry all I can imagine is a layer of wet/under cooked pepp and a layer of cheese just floating on the pepps grease that just slides off on the first bite. It’s just unusual to me not having the pepp on top crisping up

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

No such thing as bad pizza!? PAH!

I once got a pizza with bacon, onions and peppers as a topping. It was awful, the bacon was all soggy and somehow the fat dripped through the pizza, through the box even, and left a big greasy patch on my lap - because that's where it was sitting on the drive home.

I tried eating it but I couldn't finish it.

It took a long time for Irish pizzerrias to figure out what they were doing but this was in the early 2000s. No excuse.

They still haven't learned. You look at a menu here and you'll find sweetcorn and canned tuna as available toppings. Even barbecue sauce. I've only ever seen one place that offers jalapenos.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Our neighborhood pizza shop (1 of like 9) burned down in 2020 and just re opened about a week ago for our Italian Festival. I got pizza from them tonight and it’s good to be back.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Lt. Cock posted:

Our neighborhood pizza shop (1 of like 9) burned down in 2020 and just re opened about a week ago for our Italian Festival. I got pizza from them tonight and it’s good to be back.

One of the 2 great pizza places up here on the mountain I live on (SoCal) had their roof collapse from a 100 year snowstorm, hoping it pops back up, even tho the other place that survived kinda blows them away

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

a sexual elk posted:

Sorry all I can imagine is a layer of wet/under cooked pepp and a layer of cheese just floating on the pepps grease that just slides off on the first bite. It’s just unusual to me not having the pepp on top crisping up

i'll tell ya something, i used to be a delivery driver for dominos like 20 years ago and i remember the franchise owner coming in one day and giving us the propaganda from high up about why dominos does things the way they do, and at dominnos they always put the toppings on top of hte cheese, now the rationale behind that was, "it brings the flavor out"

ok cool. a couple years later im dleivering pizza for another local pizza place (this was my college days) and they always put everything under the cheese, and i remember the bastard who owned the place came in one day on one of his usual visits to gently caress up our day, and he gave us the propanganda spiel about that the reason behind keeping the toppings under the cheese was "it keeps the flavor in"

it is the yin and yang of pizza. flavor in, or flavor out. pick your line in the sand and pick it wisely

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

The deli pep will help with this a bit, also if op was smart they put down some cheese under the pepperoni as well to secure it

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

free hubcaps posted:

The deli pep will help with this a bit, also if op was smart they put down some cheese under the pepperoni as well to secure it

didnt get to address this in my last post but yes that is exactly what i do. fresh sliced deli pep also doesnt give off even nearly a quarter the amount of grease that the prepackaged stuff does, so even then there's minimal slippage

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Junk posted:

i'll tell ya something, i used to be a delivery driver for dominos like 20 years ago and i remember the franchise owner coming in one day and giving us the propaganda from high up about why dominos does things the way they do, and at dominnos they always put the toppings on top of hte cheese, now the rationale behind that was, "it brings the flavor out"

ok cool. a couple years later im dleivering pizza for another local pizza place (this was my college days) and they always put everything under the cheese, and i remember the bastard who owned the place came in one day on one of his usual visits to gently caress up our day, and he gave us the propanganda spiel about that the reason behind keeping the toppings under the cheese was "it keeps the flavor in"

it is the yin and yang of pizza. flavor in, or flavor out. pick your line in the sand and pick it wisely

Second dude was putting 5 olives and 6 pepperonis under a blanket of cheese so they wouldn’t notice imo

Plus everything is better with a little Maillard

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 31, 2023

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

a sexual elk posted:

Second dude was putting 5 olives and 6 pepperonis under a blanket of cheese so they wouldn’t notice imo

second dude was a cheap fuckin rear end in a top hat who eventually decided to make us pre-weigh and bag the cheese in stingy portions for small med or large

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

he spent like $10,000 on a special cheese grater attachment for our hobart dough mixer so that we could grate our own cheese instead of paying extra for the pre-grated stuff and the fuckin thing broke after 2 days, right after that he made us weigh the cheese and bag it as part of daily food prep

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

later on it turned out the accountant had been sneaking into the stores at night and stealing the cheese

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
You essentially take a balsamic mushroom tart filling and slap it on pizza dough, then add a little extra cheese, some spinach, black olives, bacon crumbles... It might stretch the definition of pizza, but gently caress it's good.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
My favorite go to pizza is always loaded up with sausage, onions, roasted peppers, mushrooms, olives, and extra sauce and cheese. So drat good.

Das Boo posted:

You essentially take a balsamic mushroom tart filling and slap it on pizza dough, then add a little extra cheese, some spinach, black olives, bacon crumbles... It might stretch the definition of pizza, but gently caress it's good.
This sounds like an idea worth adopting. When next I get hold of some quality mushrooms, I might try this out.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
There is definitely bad pizza out there. My stepmother insisted on getting pizza from this place that always had terribly greasy pizza, with cold cheese, and a too thick, overly tough crust. I'm wondering if she had bad taste or she secretly hated us, or maybe it was some of both.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pizza is weird for brains

Growing up the formative pizza I would get on good-grades night or birthdays or whatever was Round Table, with mushrooms and pepperoni because that's what was on one of the posters or wall decorations there (I always followed examples like that or the serving suggestions on the saltine box and so on—clearly they know best), and apparently I imprinted on it super hard because no matter how many thousands of other types of pizza I've had from how many thousands of other places over the years, still nothing compares even remotely to what that Round Table pizza tastes like. Whether I make it myself, whether i get it from another west coast place that does it in the same crustless/thin-sliced style, whether I look up online forums that claim to have figured out the ingredient sources or report cooking techniques from former employees, there's always something a little wrong—sauce a little too sweet, dough not rich enough, crust too floppy, cheese just slightly wrong tasting in combination with the pepperoni, something.

Only the authentic thing will do. Everyone I've tried to sell on it has been politely "uh huh, it's .. not bad" at best. Clearly pizza means something different to everyone else, and it's presumably about whatever they imprinted on first as the ur-pizza. I guess for some people it's Pizza Hut, for some it's Chuck E Cheese, for some it's NYC dollar heatlamp slices or whatever the mom & pop place at their local strip mall makes, and everything else seems weird and not quite right. I've stopped trying to objectively and comparatively quantify pizza and have retired to the theory that it's just an extremely personal thing, you find what you like and never let go if you want a shred of simple animal happiness in your life.

Every time I go back home, no matter the occasion or length of visit I will disappear for a lunch hour and don't ask me any questions about it. It's crazy how expensive RT has gotten but I don't care. It'd be my death row last meal for sure

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Pizza is weird for brains

Growing up the formative pizza I would get on good-grades night or birthdays or whatever was Round Table, with mushrooms and pepperoni because that's what was on one of the posters or wall decorations there (I always followed examples like that or the serving suggestions on the saltine box and so on—clearly they know best), and apparently I imprinted on it super hard because no matter how many thousands of other types of pizza I've had from how many thousands of other places over the years, still nothing compares even remotely to what that Round Table pizza tastes like. Whether I make it myself, whether i get it from another west coast place that does it in the same crustless/thin-sliced style, whether I look up online forums that claim to have figured out the ingredient sources or report cooking techniques from former employees, there's always something a little wrong—sauce a little too sweet, dough not rich enough, crust too floppy, cheese just slightly wrong tasting in combination with the pepperoni, something.

Only the authentic thing will do. Everyone I've tried to sell on it has been politely "uh huh, it's .. not bad" at best. Clearly pizza means something different to everyone else, and it's presumably about whatever they imprinted on first as the ur-pizza. I guess for some people it's Pizza Hut, for some it's Chuck E Cheese, for some it's NYC dollar heatlamp slices or whatever the mom & pop place at their local strip mall makes, and everything else seems weird and not quite right. I've stopped trying to objectively and comparatively quantify pizza and have retired to the theory that it's just an extremely personal thing, you find what you like and never let go if you want a shred of simple animal happiness in your life.

Every time I go back home, no matter the occasion or length of visit I will disappear for a lunch hour and don't ask me any questions about it. It's crazy how expensive RT has gotten but I don't care. It'd be my death row last meal for sure

I'd yoink this goon's death pizza and eat it

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

On the other hand if they were to go out of business tomorrow or change their recipe or something, I would school myself to silence because things change. Nice things die. New nice things appear all the time too. As has been said many times, nostalgia is poison. I will not be one of those people who says "McDonald's was good back in the 90s/80s/50s/whenever I grew up, not like today :bahgawd:" and go on an incel rampage because of What They Took From Us

I will find another, nearer good pizza someday

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hate it when you order a tire pizza and then they just skimp on the toppings like this. :(

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Thin crust, spinach, green olives, and garlic. Well done so the cheese gets good and dark, and some salt.
Or Giordanos stuffed, same stuff plus mushrooms.

Pizza is medicinal. Cholesterol is bullshit.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I get frozen naan from the Indian market and make pizza at home with it. It’s honestly better than 90% of the dough I’ve ever bought or made myself.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Lt. Cock posted:

I get frozen naan from the Indian market and make pizza at home with it. It’s honestly better than 90% of the dough I’ve ever bought or made myself.

Naan is ridiculously easy to make at home. You are like one step away from total (naan) pizza independence.

I looked up big mamas pizza from the op's image...

this will be the boat that carries me down the river stix after my immediate heart attack.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 31, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Looks delicious from here!

Don't pay the pizzaman
Until you get to the other side

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

Valko posted:

canned tuna as available toppings

as a notorious food criminal who eats shrimp tails and kiwi skins, I'm intrigued

(I mean if tuna casserole is good and you don't have to acknowledge this as real pizza...)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Aishlinn posted:

These were the bomb we used to get them in college during rush week cause they had the like presidentially large one you could order and it would feed everyone

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
What is the best topping, other than onion (the best topping)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

RavenousScoot posted:

as a notorious food criminal who eats shrimp tails and kiwi skins, I'm intrigued

(I mean if tuna casserole is good and you don't have to acknowledge this as real pizza...)

Tuna pizza is delicious. Try it.