Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I saw a marxist the other day, horrible creatures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
smdh beaten again

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

id be a lot warmer and a lot happier with a bellyful of marx

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Let me guess... somebody stole your sweet labour

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Some here in Helgen call you a Marxist, but a Marxist doesn't use a power like the Voice to murder his king and usurp his throne.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
that's bonapartism

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Patrolling the Marxists almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Ave, true to Stalin

DarkSithLord
Apr 14, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Stewie Griffin threads beyond measure, Outlander.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

mfw i spot a marxist..

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

marxfield

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maya Fey posted:

mfw i spot a marxist..

Oh christ, not this guy again...

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Like what's the deal with government in tes anyways?

The empire is obviously intended to be like the Roman empire in your understanding of it, but they forgot about that by the time oblivion rolls around, and the complete lack of any sort of Senate or administration or regional governors make it seem more like a post-medieval national monarchy.

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Morrowind is the good one and the empire is far enough away that your experience in the mostly self governed province under the ostensible rule and primacy of the empire is pretty coherent in the way it's presented. The imperials act on the will of the empire and what exactly that means or how that's even mechanically determined is left to the imagination of the player.

The imperial claim to cosmopolitanism and some form of progressive equality certainly ring true compared to the slave owning isolationists of the Morrowind traditionalist factions but the godlessness and mercantile nature of the imperials weakening over time and eventually being challenged by the dickhead elves of wherever is one of the things in Skyrim I actually appreciate.

I've got a theory that fantasy genre is actually defined in most cases by the non-existance of an industrialized proletariat as a mechanism of explanation for why feudalism is tolerated for so long in most of them.

e: I guess it helps when demons from the outer realms proveably exist and your emperor fights one of them to the death to protect the planet too

Herbert Stencil has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Aug 31, 2023

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Herbert Stencil posted:

I've got a theory that fantasy genre is actually defined in most cases by the non-existance of an industrialized proletariat as a mechanism of explanation for why feudalism is tolerated for so long in most of them.

I started reading Malazan and am having a hard time squaring the medieval trappings with the presence of regimented standing armies and wizard cadres who are fantasy artillery and the like, stuff is funny.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Empire uses Roman symbolism but organisationally they seem like, I dunno, medieval England or France or maybe the HRE. Local nobles hold the power and do all the government stuff and pay fealty to the Emperor. The only real Imperial state stuff in the provinces are tax collectors and the Legion garrisons

my bony fealty posted:

I started reading Malazan and am having a hard time squaring the medieval trappings with the presence of regimented standing armies and wizard cadres who are fantasy artillery and the like, stuff is funny.

The Witcher was like this too and yeah it tripped me up

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

DaysBefore posted:

Legion garrisons

This is the thing that European feudalism was mostly unable to do: maintain standing armies that were not culturally aligned with the places they occupied.

That's what made it feudalism, the kings needed the lords more than the lords needed the king.

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've also been thinking about thieves guilds in fantasy as a type of organized crime that seems to be at least somewhat tolerated by the empire and it's nobility. It seems to me that maybe the reason they're tolerated is that they target the merchant/petit bourgeois classes for the most part rather than the poorer people in agrarian roles, which helps to prevent the accumulation of wealth in a class that could eventually challenge the nobility for supremacy and rule.

Thieves guilds as an instrument of class stability and redistribution of wealth I guess.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ikanreed posted:

This is the thing that European feudalism was mostly unable to do: maintain standing armies that were not culturally aligned with the places they occupied.

That's what made it feudalism, the kings needed the lords more than the lords needed the king.

Yeah absolutely (though some Legions are implied to be local recruits, maybe just the human ones lol). But the Legions are the only real standout I can think of

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's orcs and occasionally dunmer in the imperial legion on Morrowind, which I think are locally recruited, though most of them are humans in the larger and more important forts.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

DaysBefore posted:

The Witcher was like this too and yeah it tripped me up

i cant tell if its because of the translation but the witcher threads were really hard to read

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

malazan kicks rear end, karsa ftw

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Herbert Stencil posted:

There's orcs and occasionally dunmer in the imperial legion on Morrowind, which I think are locally recruited, though most of them are humans in the larger and more important forts.

Sure. Morrowind had some idea that its factions were made of people with material interests.

But oblivion's legion is a bunch of kids cartoon cops with nothing else going on. At all.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Sure. Morrowind had some idea that its factions were made of people with material interests.

But oblivion's legion is a bunch of kids cartoon cops with nothing else going on. At all.

Stop! You violated the law!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
You b'ourgeois!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
what i thought was a marxist ended up being three trots in a trench coat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023