Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
maple bacon seems like an easy and perfect flavour to get right, it's probably just maple flavouring and hickory smoke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
picked some of those up from tesco the other week bc they were gluten free, not bad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Inventing a steam engine 200 years before the industrial revolution for kebab purposes only for the first industrial country to get industrial kebab flavour wrong

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

mediaphage posted:

maple bacon seems like an easy and perfect flavour to get right, it's probably just maple flavouring and hickory smoke

Those crisps never share a building with those ingredients though I thought, it's all some chemistry fuckery. Like the meat flavoured crisps that are also vegetarian.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Inventing a steam engine 200 years before the industrial revolution for kebab purposes only for the first industrial country to get industrial kebab flavour wrong

This guy had a vision of the industrial revolution and just made some kebabs instead, legend. The British were not as trustworthy to handle such diabolical magicks.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Those crisps never share a building with those ingredients though I thought, it's all some chemistry fuckery. Like the meat flavoured crisps that are also vegetarian.

well sure, i did say maple flavour. but the hickory smoke is probably real because it's cheaper to produce than to try and synthesize something. generic meat flavour is usually some sort of umami source like a hydrolyzed soy or something

speaking of which, this was a favourite thing growing up

which actually used dehydated cooked chicken powder as a flavour but i dunno if they still do

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Some one out there has a cold fusion reactor in their basement but they're using it to boil water for personal use.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Some one out there has a cold fusion reactor in their basement but they're using it to boil water for personal use because it’s more affordable than a gas boiler.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I have a friend who does occasional crisp reviews on Facebook and his latest output includes the Christmas Pudding ones

Crisp chat posted:

Quick round up:

Tesco's Finest Roast Turkey & Herb Butter - didn't quite taste the butter but these were nice and salty and very moreish. 4/5

Kurkure NAUGHTY Tomato - LOVE a NAUGHTY crisp, me!! These are like NIK NAKS before the NANNY STATE took away all the crunch and flavour. Coated in lots of delicious, sweet tomato flavour (almost ketchup-y) with plenty of KRUNCH, and a good spicy kick! 4.5/5

Lay's India's Magic Masala - Unlike the UKs fallen champion WALKERS, these are slightly crinkle cut, satisfyingly round and full of fuckin flavour mate. Again a bit spicy. Slightly onion-y and garlic-y. 3.5/5

Lay's Fried Crab Flavour - OH GOD!! OH JESUS CHRIST!!! 1/5

Pizza Hut Pepperoni Feast - nice and quite addictive but just taste like generic meat flavour. 3/5

Walkers Christmas Pudding Flavour - When you first put one of these in your mouth your brain goes SPIT IT OUT SPIT IT OUT but hold your nerve and you'll experience a weirdly addictive crisp that does actually taste a fair bit like Christmas Pudding, someone in my office ate one of these and immediately started laughing, that's the best review I can give you. Comedy crisps - the future. Still a bit weird though. 3.5/5

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
he should post on SA, he sounds like a hoot :)

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

I imagine the NHS isnt much interested in prescribing

Not sure how it is in England but up in Scotland my GP didn't know what semaglutide was and suggested that I simply "Stop drinking alcohol and start walking :thumbsup: ". She had the same response to me asking if it might be wise to use a CPAP machine to help with my sleep apnoea in the short term until I got some weight off.

Anyways I got off booze completely, switching it for medical cannabis on my own initiative (with a little advice from some folks on this forum) and started doing walks, I'm now 3 stone lighter + no more sleep apnoea but I do wonder if that kind of response (even if it is technically "Good advice") is common when they have about 10 minutes to talk.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The ALDI over the way have the 'festive' crisp flavours in, and it's hard to pass by a bag of the Spicy Chorizo and Turkey Flavour :o:

(also cans of mini Twiglets, but I suspect those will be more divisive)

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

sebzilla posted:

Kurkure Ketchup KRUNCH

NANNY STATE

ok

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Rookoo posted:

Not sure how it is in England but up in Scotland my GP didn't know what semaglutide was and suggested that I simply "Stop drinking alcohol and start walking :thumbsup: ". She had the same response to me asking if it might be wise to use a CPAP machine to help with my sleep apnoea in the short term until I got some weight off.

Anyways I got off booze completely, switching it for medical cannabis on my own initiative (with a little advice from some folks on this forum) and started doing walks, I'm now 3 stone lighter + no more sleep apnoea but I do wonder if that kind of response (even if it is technically "Good advice") is common when they have about 10 minutes to talk.

ime GPs have no loving clue about sleep disorders and will just cycle through the basic level "go to bed at the same time/limit screen time/cut out caffeine/exercise more" until you get bored and stop asking

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

dang if you take three separate words that start with a K and remove all the words between them it spells KKK. troubling

crispix posted:

he should post on SA

how dare you though, i would not wish this fate on my worst enemy

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

sebzilla posted:

I have a friend who does occasional crisp reviews on Facebook and his latest output includes the Christmas Pudding ones

I like that they account for mouth feel. A good email blast.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Julio Cruz posted:

ime GPs have no loving clue about sleep disorders and will just cycle through the basic level "go to bed at the same time/limit screen time/cut out caffeine/exercise more" until you get bored and stop asking

Yeah same. Only time I had more than that was when I said I was just having insomnia at the same time as a migraine and I just wanted like a week of sleep meds to get me through it, which he was happy enough to prescribe.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I for one welcome this December, the month of en masse deaths of cunts

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I had an out of season packet of Christmas Pudding crisps the other month. They were absolutely minging, but not quite as absolutely minging as you’d expect.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

Mine is better, but I'm in the US. I have a sleep study tonight, funnily enough. Seems likely that it's apnea, but have to gather the data before they send me off with a CPAP. After that I'm angling for a bacta tank.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

just drink until you pass out bing bong so simple

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

In my experience every problem I present to my GP is met with "have you tried waiting 2 weeks and doing paracetamol about it?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

This guy had a vision of the industrial revolution and just made some kebabs instead, legend. The British were not as trustworthy to handle such diabolical magicks.
There's a lot of comments from modern engineers mocking the medieval Levantine steam kebab engine for its terrible thermal efficiency, but I think they missed the point by a lot. Spinning the skewer very slowly next to a red hot piece of metal is exactly what you want from a gyros machine, and using modern industrial efficiency to spin a cold lamb shank at 3000 rpm would just make a big mess that nobody would want to deal with.

In conclusion kebab engineering should be its own field of study. :chef:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I told my GP that I'm drinking myself to sleep because none of the other medications worked and he prescribed me melatonin, which people can just buy in the US.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can just buy it in Spain too, which means effectively that you can just buy it in the UK because the entire post-Brexit border force has apparently been reassigned to staring at small boats like the EastEnders Brothers for press opportunities.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Tesseraction posted:

I told my GP that I'm drinking myself to sleep because none of the other medications worked and he prescribed me melatonin, which people can just buy in the US.

I was once prescribed melatonin for severe insomnia. After taking it for like two nights it broke the cycle and I was back to sleeping normally. A year later it came back, and as I was explaining to a different GP how melatonin had worked almost instantly last time, he cut me off mid-sentence to say I should never have been prescribed it, and that my options were an email with a link about sleep hygiene or anti-depressants.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seriously just tell them you're drinking yourself to sleep because nothing works (I went on a bit of a rant) and they will hopefully relent.

Say this even if you don't drink, because the NHS is basically being forced to deny treatments if it's psychological, but liver damage costs the NHS more in the long run so they will intervene.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

comedy crisps is a good turn of phrase. we use "prank cheese" in my house to describe these products after my sister-in-law ate a piece of maple infused cheddar one year

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Diet Crack posted:

I for one welcome this December, the month of en masse deaths of cunts

If you're talking about the people that died today, they died in November though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If you're talking about the people that died today, they died in November though.

souls burnt to embers with the deaths of november

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Tomorrow is December you dolt

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Diet Crack posted:

Tomorrow is December you dolt

That doesn't make any sense

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Yes it does. December always follows November

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Iirc you can also buy melatonin off UK online chemists if you promise it’s definitely for narcolepsy.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Wachter posted:

I was once prescribed melatonin for severe insomnia. After taking it for like two nights it broke the cycle and I was back to sleeping normally. A year later it came back, and as I was explaining to a different GP how melatonin had worked almost instantly last time, he cut me off mid-sentence to say I should never have been prescribed it, and that my options were an email with a link about sleep hygiene or anti-depressants.

tell him he's a cheeky oval office and ask to see someone else, op

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
some GPs are really lost for a good slap in my experience

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

There's a lot of comments from modern engineers mocking the medieval Levantine steam kebab engine for its terrible thermal efficiency, but I think they missed the point by a lot. Spinning the skewer very slowly next to a red hot piece of metal is exactly what you want from a gyros machine, and using modern industrial efficiency to spin a cold lamb shank at 3000 rpm would just make a big mess that nobody would want to deal with.

In conclusion kebab engineering should be its own field of study. :chef:

These people are so backwards they didn't even manage to use thermodynamics to inevitably destroy all life on the planet, with any decision they could possibly make after that fact, being just a tweak on the dial

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Of course I'm not a luddite (no I don't need that certain poster to remind me what luddite means), the true mistake was agriculture.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

"I'm gonna have my settlement stay in the same place and we'll eat lots of carbs and I'm gonna enslave people to farm for me since now that's enforceable, we're all going to grow shorter and unhealthier and destroy the idea of leisure time. P.S I just invented bureaucracy" - These are the statements of the utterly deranged, they have played us for absolute fools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

crispix posted:

some GPs are really lost for a good slap in my experience

GPs basically only hand out painkillers or Anti depressants. Actually practising medicine seems a tad beyond them these days.

Nothing quite like being told 'oh it should heal up in 6 weeks' for 8 months.