Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
whawter crap way to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
All the small boats with illegal immigrants should dress up in that poop outfit.
The Tories would ignore them then.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

I try to always try to ask people who use woke as a pejorative to define the word. I find it hugely entertaining watching them fail.

Sounds like something the wokearati would say...

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

forkboy84 posted:

Sounds like something the wokearati would say...

I did have an avocado last week...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
But did you eat any tofu

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Dominiquetaegon/status/1697986681624793582

Interesting admission there. Daily Mail writes a racist piece trying to stoke hatred against black people and then tries to hire a black woman to be the face of it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'm surprised she didn't take it, that 'journalist' is vile.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's a reason that the Mail always does that, and it's because there are a pool of people who will. Maybe they noticed some of her other opinions and assumed she'd be game too.

https://twitter.com/BWhytelaw/status/1237061781631258624

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1697982002492801108

There are supposedly court buildings, police stations and other public buildings that are also at risk. Does anyone know if this type of concrete was also used in housing?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Yeah but it's the first time I've ever seen it admitted so blasé. It's the kind of thing that I feel should sink a newspaper but because of how corrupt everything is it'll just go by without any real comment.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

There are supposedly court buildings, police stations and other public buildings that are also at risk. Does anyone know if this type of concrete was also used in housing?

https://wolfenstein.fandom.com/wiki/%C3%9Cber_Concrete

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

not in housing i dont think, raac was almost entirely public buildings: schools, hospitals, multistorey car parks, libraries, etc. It's only good for like 30 years so it's well past its due date basically everywhere it was used

that education minister guy trying to claim kids could continue sitting in a classroom full of acroprops was pretty funny, in a crack-ping way

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Weren't some of the low-rises built for the council in near enough the exact same way as the public buildings?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yeah but it's the first time I've ever seen it admitted so blasé. It's the kind of thing that I feel should sink a newspaper but because of how corrupt everything is it'll just go by without any real comment.
I think they hosed up by finding someone who was a Covid weirdo, anti-ULEZ, anti-LGBT, but also very anti-racist.

I wonder if Trevor Phillips costs too much now he's a sir.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

So apparently there are homes made with this stuff. But nobody knows how many, as there's no record of it

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/09/01/crumbling-concrete-threatens-hospitals-homes-schools/

quote:

Property experts are concerned that RAAC concrete has been used in residential buildings – particularly council houses.

In the three and a half decades after the end of the Second World War, local authorities and housing associations built 4.4 million social homes at an average of more than 126,000 a year, according to the homeless charity Shelter.

RAAC concrete was a cheap and readily available material at the time.

Owing to the way homes were historically built – using a mixture of different types of concrete – it is difficult for surveyors to immediately identify at-risk buildings.

.... *looks around my 1975 prefab council flat, and thinking about those fresh cracks outside*....

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cool cool, it seems that the answer to

Guavanaut posted:

Weren't some of the low-rises built for the council in near enough the exact same way as the public buildings?
is "yeah but we didn't record which ones or anything else"

kecske posted:

crack-ping

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

fuctifino posted:

I'm waiting for somebody to suggest checking the university estates. I certainly remember seeing a lot of architecture that looked suspiciously like the RAAC pictures back during my university days. In particular, I wouldn't be surprised to see headlines about half the halls of residences being closed just in time for the new university term.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

so if you want a house thats anywhere close to structurally sound it needs to have been built pre- 1950? ok then

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very similar to asbestos use then seemingly, in that for a while it was just in everything and not really documented and now we get to go round trying to find it and make sure it isn't falling apart.

kecske posted:

so if you want a house thats anywhere close to structurally sound it needs to have been built pre- 1950? ok then

I assume "don't get one with concrete structural elements" is also an idea.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm honestly surprised that the Notting Hill carnival wasn't banned years ago, considering that it takes place in an area now full of very wealthy and influential people. Perhaps now is the moment: could you see Labour defending the carnival if the Tories announced they were bringing in legislation to outlaw it?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's kind of amazing that we timed everything so that when Britain's infrastructure is crumbling to the point of collapse metaphorically, it's also going to be doing it very literally.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Very similar to asbestos use then seemingly, in that for a while it was just in everything and not really documented and now we get to go round trying to find it and make sure it isn't falling apart.
Pretty much, except that asbestos was until recently unparalleled for fireproofing and longevity, it was just horrific for the poor sods who had to mine it or turn it into anything, whereas this is more like "we made an aero bar out of cement because it's cheap and we need mass infrastructure now, but I'm sure that the government in the 90s will understand the importance of prompt replacement."

I think the closest modern equivalent to asbestos is those engineered stone kitchen worktops, there's rumblings in trade magazines and people who engineer them for a living but nobody in the wider public seems to want to acknowledge it.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

Pretty much, except that asbestos was until recently unparalleled for fireproofing and longevity, it was just horrific for the poor sods who had to mine it or turn it into anything, whereas this is more like "we made an aero bar out of cement because it's cheap and we need mass infrastructure now, but I'm sure that the government in the 90s will understand the importance of prompt replacement."

I think the closest modern equivalent to asbestos is those engineered stone kitchen worktops, there's rumblings in trade magazines and people who engineer them for a living but nobody in the wider public seems to want to acknowledge it.

I work with that type of worktop at a safe degree of separation, and there's no way of machining it without generating a gently caress-ton of small particulates. The reputable fabricators have the proper mitigations in place, but there are plenty of shoestring operators who are pretty much a couple of guys with angle grinders.

I'm honestly surprised that nobody came up with a way of introducing asbestos into RAAC (unless they did). It managed to find it's way into pretty much every other prefab building material of the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone must have made an asbestos aero cement roof tile.

Soylent Yellow posted:

I work with that type of worktop at a safe degree of separation, and there's no way of machining it without generating a gently caress-ton of small particulates. The reputable fabricators have the proper mitigations in place, but there are plenty of shoestring operators who are pretty much a couple of guys with angle grinders.

I'm honestly surprised that nobody came up with a way of introducing asbestos into RAAC (unless they did). It managed to find it's way into pretty much every other prefab building material of the time.

My mam has some stone counter tops and it's daft because she now won't actually use them for anything you would use a worktop for because she doesn't want to damage them.

I'm not sure what the point of them is supposed to be. The laminated chipboard ones seem a lot more sensible and you don't mind so much if they get marked.

If I was going to spend a fortune on a counter I would get it made of wood cos then you can at least fix it with a hand plane.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 2, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I just finished this as a holiday read and I really don’t recommend it. It’s boring, procedural and doesn’t really offer any insight beyond what was in the news and leaked to hacks. It is however amusing in that, despite its endless obsequious tone, willingness to give the benefit of the doubt, and absolute acceptance of establishment thinking, it still concludes that Johnson was a hopeless, lazy, lying bullshitter from start to finish

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

So food's getting too expensive, and you're also looking for alternative ways to dispose of dead bodies.

I'm pretty we know what happens here, look for an exciting new range of soylent foods from a Tory sponsoring company

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

Someone must have made an asbestos aero cement roof tile.

My mam has some stone counter tops and it's daft because she now won't actually use them for anything you would use a worktop for because she doesn't want to damage them.

I'm not sure what the point of them is supposed to be. The laminated chipboard ones seem a lot more sensible and you don't mind so much if they get marked.

If I was going to spend a fortune on a counter I would get it made of wood cos then you can at least fix it with a hand plane.

Granite worktops are actually very durable.

I'd personally choose laminate worktops, as they're cheap, durable, and low maintenance.

The engineered stone worktops (usually sold as Quartz) are popular because you can do a lot of things with them you can't do with laminated chipboard, and they're also pretty much indestructible.

Most of my dealings with wood worktops involve me trying to talk people out of buying them. They look impressive once newly fitted, but require constant maintenance to keep them that way. As they're porous, you also have to be very careful with spillages.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what's left of our society is literally falling down around us and the opposition is rachael reeves listing all the things labour will not do if elected to government

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Election song is sung by Rick Astley.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1698241091131019296

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Soylent Yellow posted:

Granite worktops are actually very durable.

I'd personally choose laminate worktops, as they're cheap, durable, and low maintenance.

The engineered stone worktops (usually sold as Quartz) are popular because you can do a lot of things with them you can't do with laminated chipboard, and they're also pretty much indestructible.

Most of my dealings with wood worktops involve me trying to talk people out of buying them. They look impressive once newly fitted, but require constant maintenance to keep them that way. As they're porous, you also have to be very careful with spillages.

Yes, my folks got wooden kitchen surfaces installed and it's nothing but a pain. Have to oil them every 3-6 months to lessen the damage done by spills, but there's still warping & discolouration around the sink.

Just more effort than you want to put in.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ugh....

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1698262005558227081

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Imagine having such a massive cock-up handed to you on a plate by your opponent and responding up with the strategy "err, sorry there won't be any money (because we won't raise any) so can't really commit to anything".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's ok, they are going to be reducing the amount of branded school uniform items parents need to buy. It'll save HUNDREDS! #winning

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1698244440962560443

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

They're just copying the Liam Byrne shite, it fits in with them trying to copy Cameron-era shite. Thats where Labour are now. The Tories lead, Labour follows.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

fuctifino posted:

It's ok, they are going to be reducing the amount of branded school uniform items parents need to buy. Itys'll save HUNDREDS! #winning

That's kind of nice because e.g. school socks/ties with logos are completely pointless and probably overpriced but 1) headteachers can decide their uniform policies and some have already scaled back logoed items (just jumper for us now) and 2) it's, I'm guessing, a letter that minister will write in an afternoon saying it's this way now. No money spent, no leadership shown.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=282qnqL08iY&t=100s
VERY REAGANESQUE

fuctifino posted:

It's ok, they are going to be reducing the amount of branded school uniform items parents need to buy. It'll save HUNDREDS! #winning
"Joining the rest of Europe" is still off the table then?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The moment they do say they'll tax the rich and will fund anything even a sliver to the left of Thatcher it'll get pounced on, and it'll be all the media will talk about forever and ever tho right?

I don't agree it's the right way to go, hope and change etc. but they've clearly decided that trying to deflate the right wing press of any ammunition whatsoever by promising literally nothing is the strategy that will work, and it's just us the "radical lefties" that it's going to stop voting. What, with us wanting good things like positive change and good policy, silly political children that we are.

I think they're pitching so hard right though that even the average voter is starting to go "hey come on now..." Because at heart they ARE just as right wing as quite a lot of the tories on a lot of policies and they're just showing true to form.

It's not like they're actually going to suddenly be all like "yay let's do PR labour under keir won" loving yeah right, they're going to go "the system works just fine, because we won, why change anything" just like every other time they won.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

domhal posted:

That's kind of nice because e.g. school socks/ties with logos are completely pointless and probably overpriced but 1) headteachers can decide their uniform policies and some have already scaled back logoed items (just jumper for us now) and 2) it's, I'm guessing, a letter that minister will write in an afternoon saying it's this way now. No money spent, no leadership shown.

I would say 99.999999% of uniforms only have one item thats branded.
The blazer/jumper.
So a pretty useless policy.

But meh, Kier will u-turn it in a fortnight.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
wuguguguugh chuldruhn need unifhormd unduhpunts fuh to untstull discupline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

"Joining the rest of Europe" is still off the table then?

:ibadpop: Huh. Apparently our chief justice chancellor (or whatever the proper translation is) opined that it is against the Finnish constitution to regulate kids' clothing in school, outside of hate symbols and the like which are covered by hate speech laws. I learned something today, thanks! :eng101: