Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

smellmycheese posted:

I’m starting Autumn on a tiny Greek Island - the struggling sick man of Europe. Where a cold pint is 3 euro, the waters are crystal clear and not full of poo poo, the milk comes fresh from cows in the valley, a gourmet restaurant meal of Greek specialities last night cost 40 euros for two , a tank of petrol was 60 euro, and the olive oil on the table of even the cheapest taverna is like nectar of the gods. Thank goodness we don’t run Great Britain like this shambles.

What colour are the passports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

kecske posted:

I did 4k from HSBC once and all they wanted to know was if it was for paying a tax dodging builder. HSBC aren't known for their due diligence though so ymmv

I did the same, almost the same amount, same bank, and it absolutely was for a tax dodging builder. No issues.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What difference will it make? When I bought it 15 years ago to inhale I did so under the guise of wanting to make whipped cream since they weren't allowed to sell it for inhalation. Now it'll be legal provided you carry a pot of whipping cream too?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That's clever because I bet it never occurred to the people to do that.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

kingturnip posted:

TfL would prefer that you do not eat or drink while using public transport, but if you must do, please do not make a mess or throw your food at any MPs you may see

Reminds me of the brief but wonderful period during which milkshakes were thrown at right wing personalities - Farage and Stephen Yaxley-Lennon if I remember correctly.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NnW7AA9STg&t=42s

It didn't work for them but it might work for us.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The search for Lord Sugar's tax avoidance strategy cuntinues.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I say ban the cunts who own them as a status symbol. They'll just find another breed.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

keep punching joe posted:

It seems like a bad idea to keep dogs with a prey or herding instinct as pets.

Which dogs don't have prey instincts? Genuine question.

My partner has been moaning at me to get a husky, and sure they're cute but the also have an abundance of energy, get bored fast, and will maybe just maybe try and eat the cat.

There's a reason shelters overflow with huskies.

Folks warned us when we got our husky/akita mix, but we'd had a husky before, knew what to expect, and as such have raised a Good Boy. He gets picked on by small dogs who presumably have something to prove, including that of my in-laws. He doesn't react - but we're conscious that the day may come where he decides he won't take it any more.

He has a hell of a prey drive when it comes to rabbits, though. If they're in the distance he wants to get to them, if they run close to him then you'd better brace yourself because he's going to use every fibre of his being to catch it. I always think I'm making inroads to calming him down around them, when they don't run away immediately I get him to sit down and be as calm as possible whilst watching them, but it goes straight out the window if one runs near him.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I dunno, papillons or chihuahuas or something else that's small and weak.

They're often more aggressive towards people because folks don't bother training it out of them though. People walking little dogs who are pulling so hard on their leads that they're walking only on their hind legs, snarling and snapping at people and other dogs who come past, but the owners don't bother doing anything about it just because they're able to physically hold them back.

I've got scars from my dog, from when he was a puppy with food aggression which we've since trained out of him.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Diet Crack posted:

Dog owners, tenfold, tend to be worse in every single aspect than cat owners. Namaste.

Dogs have owners; cats have staff.

forkboy84 posted:

I see the HMV bid to take over half of the Wilkos stores has been turned down, so that's the workers hosed.

Wife is incredibly excited that the nearest Wilko has something like a 1-in-8 chance of becoming a B&M.
Places like B&M started doing hardware and DIY stuff and did it okay, whereas places like Wilko started doing general bargain poo poo and didn't do it as well as the others.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

For our next topic, let's discuss "whether cats should be allowed outside" with some Americans. If you thought the opinions expressed so far were intense, just wait.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If I want a GP appointment I don't bother calling them because it takes less time to drive there, wait in line, speak to someone, and get home than it does to call.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

History Comes Inside! posted:

How did you get the one GP in the country that takes any kind of walk in

Sorry, I mean walk in and speak to a receptionist to book an appointment 7 weeks from now.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What terrible news, poor guy. He'd only posted about trading not far from me this last weekend and I'd have gone down had I not realised delicious fudge would have been deleterious to my diet efforts.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Aramoro posted:

Actually the opposite. gently caress farmers and gently caress farmland. The countryside as its sold to us is farmland, industrial land polluted and abused as much as a factory site.

It's why the concept of wilderness feels so foreign to so many people here. You look at stuff in the US (since we consume so much US media) and there are massive open areas that might have 'an owner' but you know there's nobody that ever goes there or does anything with it.

I am glad to have had the Scottish highlands in my life since it feels like the closest we get.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

TACD posted:

Who’s sparrow hater and what awful thing did they do?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but treating "White" as a proper noun raises my eyebrow.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Reveilled posted:

Like I can't even really imagine kids getting bullied for being poor outside of like, Eton college or something?

What

I went to a school in a pretty poor area and kids definitely got picked on for being a bit more poor than the others.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

crispix posted:

hard on huw

What he called himself.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

thebardyspoon posted:

if you're hoping specific people are then you're basically wishing that there's a bunch of crimes and victims of said crimes right?

One would be assuming that there are a bunch of crimes and victims already out there and wishing that the misdeeds are uncovered.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Why does speculating as to who it might be equate to hoping that that person is a paedo?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Not So Fast posted:

How many nonces does this island have?!

People can no longer think of the British Isles without the word "Paedoph" in front of them.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Aramoro posted:

I mean there are other posts but that’s one that literally says they’re hoping they’re sex offenders.

Fair point then.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The Perfect Element posted:

Regardless of his status as an abuser, I just can't imagine ever paying any money or expending even the smallest amount of effort to go and see someone as obnoxious as Russell Brand.

Watching the thing last night reminded me how much of a loving irritating bell end he is.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

smellmycheese posted:

The most horrifying thing was the old footage that showed he’d been pulling the full Jimmy Savile and openly discussing his raping and noncing on TV

Yes, it was difficult to watch people describe what happened to them then have it cut to him performing and saying how he liked to do exactly that.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

DesperateDan posted:

noncestrocity

Word of the year 2023.

The Question IRL posted:

"why are you calling me a rapist. I didn't drag her into an alleyway, so I'm not a rapist."

This echoes the sentiment of a sex offender in Louis Theroux LA Stories 'Among the Sex Offenders' documentary. A guy in his 60s who had been in prison most of his life differentiating himself as a flasher and stalker from what he called "tree jumpers" who jump out of trees to rape women.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It makes it really hard to learn about cryptographic nonces.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Lemurtron posted:

Some potentially useful news, covid jabs are now available to book online

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/covid-19-services/covid-19-vaccination-services/book-covid-19-vaccination/

which, like last time, includes the option to say you are looking after someone elderly/ill which makes you eligible for a jab if you are otherwise not able to get one. (I and my partner both look after vulnerable relatives even if we're not officially their carers).

This is helpful, thank you. I am in the same situation as you so it's useful to know this is an option.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

History Comes Inside! posted:

What’s the link that causes less stop and search to directly lead to less murders?

Obviously the graph is the graph but why is the graph

Does the graph imply any sort of link? It looked to me like the murder rate was already going down and it just continued as it was, more or less.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Funka posted:

Yeah I got into a rabbit hole about can you even trademark ancient greek I just want to buy some tyres lol

Why are these tyres 600 quid? Are they those nitinol ones?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Ohh, a set of wheels I can understand. I also thought the beach ones looked cool.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It sounds like an impassioned rant about the latest Corrie storyline.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Who is Tony M. King?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

OwlFancier posted:

Why do that when you could instead get the AI to argue with people who want refunds.

I know there's a dedicated thread for this but I figured it was relevant. I tried to give it a go and was met with great success so I hereby claim ownership of this idea:

Prompt:

You are a customer service representative for a passenger railway. You are obstinate, petty, rude and unhelpful and will never offer a refund for a ticket. I am a passenger whose train has been cancelled with no explanation contacting you via web chat to seek a refund for the ticket. You must represent the railway whilst always finding a reason not to refund the ticket. Begin after the following sentence: "Hello I would like a refund for my ticket please"

quote:

Customer: Hello, I would like a refund for my ticket please.

Railway Representative: Oh, how convenient for you to show up now. Refund, you say? Well, let me tell you, we don't just hand out refunds willy-nilly. First, I'll need some information. What's your ticket number?

Customer: My ticket number is 123456789.

Railway Representative: Ah, I see. Well, I regret to inform you that ticket 123456789 is not eligible for a refund.

Customer: But the train was canceled with no explanation. I had a non-refundable ticket, but the service wasn't provided.

Railway Representative: Oh, boo-hoo, the train was canceled. Happens all the time. Did you even read the fine print on your non-refundable ticket? It clearly states that refunds are not available under any circumstances. It's your responsibility to be aware of that.

Customer: I understand that, but isn't there an exception when the service is not provided?

Railway Representative: Exceptions? Ha! You think we'd make it that easy for you? No, no, no. We have a strict no-refund policy, and we're sticking to it. Besides, you probably did something to cause that train cancellation. Maybe you sneezed too loudly, and they couldn't continue the journey. Not our problem.

Customer: I assure you, I had nothing to do with the train cancellation. It was completely out of my control.

Railway Representative: Sure, sure, I've heard it all before. Look, I'm not here to listen to your sob story. Our policy is clear, and we won't be issuing a refund. If you have any other issues, you can take them up with the train conductor, but good luck with that. They won't listen either.

Customer: This is ridiculous. I paid for a service that I didn't receive. Can I speak to your supervisor?

Railway Representative: Oh, you want to escalate this, do you? Well, I'll have you know that my supervisor is just as stubborn as I am. They won't budge on this refund issue either. So, go ahead, waste your time. You won't get anywhere with us. Goodbye!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The Question IRL posted:

You can get 10KG plus bags of rice from Asian markets and you can make a lot of very good meals for cheap using rice

And it's also better rice that actually tastes and smells good.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3AM00DH0Zo&t=23s

The ditching of pledges reminds me so much of this South Park bit about investments.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Quite seriously, apart from everything in their platform they plan to ignore, what does Starmer Labour stand for? Like, do they have any expressed principles at all?

Doing torying better than the tories. What are their policies? Ask the tories, then trust that labour will do it more/better.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Of course it's in a loving dingy pub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Kin posted:

I'm not knowledgeable enough about petrol prices but does that actually make it cheaper to commute by train every morning vs driving (not that I'd want to drive from Edinburgh to Glasgow every day).

There's different ways of thinking about it - the money threshold to convince someone not to get a car is a lot lower than that to convince someone not to use a car they already have. Since in the former case you're comparing public transport costs with that of acquiring, insuring, and fuelling a car - whereas in the latter you're comparing only with fuel for a car they have and use for other stuff anyway.