Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Cheers YouTube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Another triumph

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Red Oktober posted:

As was dropping a sugar cube with cocaine on it onto the riders tongue from the team car.

Or riding through villages where the villagers would ambush and beat the other riders so their local guy could get past.

All without any gears on the bike. First 50 years of the tour was wild.

Do you know offhand of any decent books on the earlier days of the Tour De France? This sounds pretty interesting.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Just out of interest, has anyone here (or knows anyone that has) learned a new trade in their early 30s? I've been on ESA for quite some time for mental health issues but I've been improving recently and think it would be wise to try and learn a trade ahead of future benefit changes potentially throwing me out upon my arse.

Before I had kind of felt I missed the boat and got the impression people weren't interested in taking folk on as apprentices past their early 20s or something. Is this how it is in practice?

My work history consequently sucks pretty hard and I think the last place I worked doesn't even exist anymore, so I suppose I'd need to start with some volunteer work or something just to get a hold of some basic references?

The easy option is to bury my head in the sand and hope I can keep convincing the DWP to leave me in peace but I figure poo poo is only going to be even harder down the line if I leave it til then. I'm up in Scotland if that affects anything.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks for the advice folks, I wasn't dead set on it being a trade, really anything that isn't dead end and based on ripping off/being screamed at by random members of the public like my last job doing cold call sales.

I've actually got an HNC in software development so i may continue down that education path a bit, since there's obviously a lot of crossover with that and the IT sector. The main challenge afterwards would be getting my foot in the door I suppose.

One of my main worries is lack of references, if it's IT/office based I suppose a bit of Intern work, assuming places still do that?

I'm sure I've heard "Never work for free" as a pithy bit of advice but I don't know if I could get away with just inventing a recent work history/references out of whole cloth.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I've rooted out the person responsible for all the lies the BBC has been publishing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

I imagine the NHS isnt much interested in prescribing

Not sure how it is in England but up in Scotland my GP didn't know what semaglutide was and suggested that I simply "Stop drinking alcohol and start walking :thumbsup: ". She had the same response to me asking if it might be wise to use a CPAP machine to help with my sleep apnoea in the short term until I got some weight off.

Anyways I got off booze completely, switching it for medical cannabis on my own initiative (with a little advice from some folks on this forum) and started doing walks, I'm now 3 stone lighter + no more sleep apnoea but I do wonder if that kind of response (even if it is technically "Good advice") is common when they have about 10 minutes to talk.