Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
well, balls

Klepsie, you might consider posting in the In Memoriam thread in SAD as well.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911290

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Hope this isn't inappropriate but here are some links.

Thought about spoilering it but decided not to.

Under35s https://www.papyrus-uk.org/ - 0800 068 41 41

https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/contact-samaritan/ - "Whatever you're going through, call us free any time, from any phone, on 116 123"

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/our-work/public-engagement/suicide-prevention (more general)

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/explore-mental-health/get-help - list of various contact numbers / sources

that's the kinda thing we (mods and admins) share with people posting about suicidal ideation so I have absolutely no problem with it being a UK centric reminder in this thread

actually I'm gonna save it in the event we have a known brit with similar needs in the future

edited for clarity

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 13, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

It's why the concept of wilderness feels so foreign to so many people here. You look at stuff in the US (since we consume so much US media) and there are massive open areas that might have 'an owner' but you know there's nobody that ever goes there or does anything with it.

I am glad to have had the Scottish highlands in my life since it feels like the closest we get.

sometimes when I am reading this thread I forget that i live in a state that is five times the size of England

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

domhal posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-occupancy_vehicle_lane

This sort of thing is not uncommon in the US, and is sometimes next to the "only use this lane if you've paid a toll" lane.

this actually works pretty well over here, i'm surprised to hear it's rare/unknown in the UK

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

If I was having it with soup or making soldiers for a soft boiled egg I'd probably rather it cold actually

making what

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

When we eat soft-boiled eggs it's usual to toast and butter a slice of bread and then cut it into 5 lines so each one can be dipped into the soft-boiled egg due to being thin enough, and these are colloquially known as soldiers. Presumably because when originally cut they're lined up perfectly.

Oh, that makes sense. I make eggs over easy and such a lot and do basically that.

actually might have to try the lines thing, more wieldy than a full slice

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Angepain posted:

here, i found it as apparently the only google result for "pissflexit"

I remember that one. Glorious.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

AI can be fun and could probably have actual utility in another economic model but as it stands it exists between fun and loving people over. :shrug:

chatgpt and Bing have been useful but not transformative in my professional work

they're good for either first drafts of boilerplate nonsense or a quick once over edit of my own first draft of communication, either of which saves me some time and effort

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

where is all this loving people over everyone is talking about?

Like "lol AI is poo poo"

"oh no my job"

which is it?

also yes I'm not entirely convinced that the net impact of text ai in the immediate past/future is job loss

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Have you ever posted in the UK chat thread?

isn't this the UK chat thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I told my GP that I'm drinking myself to sleep because none of the other medications worked and he prescribed me melatonin, which people can just buy in the US.

I'm not completely certain about its regulatory status in the UK, but unless I'm having jet lag problems, NAC (n-acetylcysteine) works well for me and doesn't have much in the way of side effects or medicine interactions that I know of. Natural feeling sleep, reasonable time period, doesn't cause much morning grogginess, doesn't raise blood pressure (gently caress you, Benadryl).