Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

It's bin day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Mebh posted:

To celebrate the new thread the Christmas chocolate was already up in Asda yesterday.

They put all the Christmas stuff out with the Halloween stuff at my local home bargains. I know it doesn't matter but it genuinely makes me kinda upset.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

RIP Camrath

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Ronnie posted:

This thread has loads of lurkers. Probably because we don't have a lot of political knowledge to provide comment.

Have you seen 99's posts?????

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Come poo poo up the chat thread instead then or the actual shitposting UK politics thread :shrug:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Any of you goons actually going to The World Transformed?

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Miftan posted:

Pretty sure there's a goon here who works for TWT. Was it Fakename?

Oh that's cool.

I really want to go but I can't afford it b/c unemployed and I'm too anxious about requesting free tickets. I'd be up for meeting up w/ any goons if there's any kind of meetup outside of the event itself though :3:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Deleted due to misunderstanding.

Solefald fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 13, 2023

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Deleted due to misunderstanding.

Solefald fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 13, 2023

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I'm sorry. I should have just PMd smellmycheese right away to get some clarification on what the post/tweet was about instead of posting in here acting like a jackass. I made the wrong assumption and shouldn't have implied there was something off about the whole thing without getting a better idea of what was going on.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

sent off an email to grab a TWT23 ticket, fingers crossed :toot:

I'll hound you goons closer to the date if you're going and wanna meet up

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Mega Comrade posted:

Nah I like the idea of uniforms. Takes away one aspect of peer pressure as a kid, they have enough of them, they don't need more.

Agreeing with this. I am so grateful my schools had a uniform policy as it helped mask my poverty and saved me from a lot of additional harassment and abuse.

I would love to see any statistics from countries or UK schools that don't have mandatory uniforms compared to those with about bullying figures. I know there's a lot of things that could skew that data but it'd be interesting none the less.

Really uniforms just need to be cheaper and more broadly available. I don't know when they started to get so ridiculous about it having to be from specific uniform shops or the plain black skirt has to have a specific shape of pleat that no one would actually notice but imo it's bullshit. A simple colour scheme for some items is all that's really needed.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Reveilled posted:

Also I don't where the poverty angle of school uniform bullying even comes from, conceptually. It feels to me like a fundamental misunderstanding of how clothes work for human beings.

Like I can't even really imagine kids getting bullied for being poor outside of like, Eton college or something? Maybe my school was this incredible outlier or something but the pupils were split into subcultures, not some weird financial caste system. There were neds, moshers, skaters and so on. You hardly needed designer clothes to get into a subculture, all my clothes came from Primark and TK Maxx and nobody even batted an eye because my style of dress fit in with my peers.

Now that's not to say bullying never happened, but it was between groups and it certainly did not matter one bloody whit if your clothing cost £10 or £500.

Oh yeah it was never about designer stuff in school as a kid. If you turned up to school in a designer brand then you'd get bullied by everyone saying it's a fake knock off bought at the local market. Poverty can be shown is different ways such as only owning 1 outfit and wearing the same outfit that wasn't a uniform 5 days in a row wouldn't go unnoticed, or said clothes being unclean or damaged.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I was at school and we had 'non-uniform day', one of the boys in our class used to come in in school uniform anyway with an old jumper over the top. We did take the piss a bit, it wasn't until we were adults that we realized that his folks were really really poor and he only had his uniform.

This. I would always bunk off for non-uniform day for this reason.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

smellmycheese posted:

So apparently the mega story that Channel 4 and The Times are going to drop tomorrow is basically Nonceaggeddon for the comedy industry

I remember Katherine Ryan mentioning in an interview about there being an open secret that some big named comedian was a sex pest but she was unable to name and shame :whitewater:

Edit: snap ^

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Isn't Fielding still on GBBO? That's due to air soon and I'm going to be so conflicted

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

smellmycheese posted:

Yes. This makes me wonder if he is included as I can’t see the head of channel 4 letting one of his news shows detonate the biggest show on the channel the week before the new series

It's already been filmed so if there are pretty damning allegations (that were possibly already common knowledge among the business?) then they would have pulled him from the show. I've got a gut feeling it isn't him.

Legit would feel sorry if it is him and Alison Hammond has had to work along side another sex pest :ohdear:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Mega Comrade posted:

Google had suspended Brand's YouTube revenue.
That's actually something that might hurt him.

:sickos:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Mega Comrade posted:

I had a prostate exam the other day.
It was painless and over in 10 seconds. Men are just big babies.

tbf a lot of women are shite when it comes to medical examinations of intimate parts too. Saw quite a lot of comments on an instagram post from women saying they'd never ever go for a cervical screening b/c they think it'll be painful. There have been such big pushes to educate women on the importance of the cervical screening (iirc Jade Goody dying kicked that into gear) but there's still always going to be people ignorant people out there sadly.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Rugz posted:

Your opening gambit carries the implication that they have been duped. You are trying to deprogram someone by convincing them they have been outsmarted.

Which despite being true, is the wrong way to help someone. People are going to push back at the person telling them they are stupid rather than the person they are actually being manipulated by.

I don't agree with a lot of what Rugz is saying here and I don't necessarily believe feminism needs to be "rebranded" (b/c imo no amount of rebranding would stop anti-feminists from attacking). There is however a serious problem with young boys (and heck, a lot of older men and women) being drawn in by people with ideologies like Tate's. I don't think having a dedicated Minister for Men's health would in any way help with this unless they were very social media savvy and had a lot of financial backing. As someone else earlier mentioned there are a lot of grassroots projects and CICs being set up dedicated to helping Men and I do believe this may be the best direction to go in.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

haakman posted:

Anecdotal but whenever a student of mine brings up Tate/MRA poo poo I just take the piss (out of Tate). It's deeply childish thought (obviously) and wilts under examination (but I'm teaching degree, so by the time it gets to me...)

Mind you it is getting worrying how much it's popping up - far more than pre-pandemic Blordan Fleeperson shite. Had someone ask, in an inquiring manner, 'is it true jews run the banking system?'... where did they get that idea from? Boyfriend's Youtube, who is also a big ol Tate fan.

Yeah, while doing my Teaching Assistant course there was a huge section dedicated to Tate and incels in the Safeguarding and Prevent section. A lot of the women on the course who had young sons had no idea about incel culture or who Andrew Tate was (well, they knew their kids watched him, just not what he was preaching). It worried me a bit but it's not unsurprising that a lot of parents don't have any idea what content their children are consuming and as a result can't even try to tackle that at home. Schools are doing what they can but it's certainly an uphill battle.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

crispix posted:

EXAMERN YUOR OWN PROSTERT :mcrappe:

Calm down Jose.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

HopperUK posted:

It's incredibly painful OP

I'm more than aware that it can be. :confused:

My point was that despite the drive to educate women on the importance of having a cervical screening done there are many who just outright refuse to do so. IIRC it was something like 26% cite the fear of pain as being their main barrier to having the screening and yes it's a legitimate concern, as is every other factor, especially when that person hasn't been educated on the procedure. Your first screening can be terrifying, and if you have a bad experience for your first one (as I did) then it can be twice as scary having to go back for another when you're going to be anticipating that pain and/or discomfort. There's been a lot of great campaigns to help tackle these barriers, and idk what it's like for the rest of the UK but every Cervical Screening appointment letter I got would come with a whole load of information about how it all plays out, guides on before and after care and then a big old info dump on HPV, abnormal cells and again a lot of information about how important the screening is and I can't for the life of me comprehend someone being provided with this information and support and just going "nah it's fine I'll just take the risk".

Most Cervical Cancer cases are preventable and a major factor in that is getting your screening done.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Just Another Lurker posted:

One of her grandfathers was in the Paras and the other fought for the Anti Treaty IRA during the Irish Civil War, she made her choice. :shrug:

edit: She also wants homeopathy in the NHS.

Huh I thought Homeopathy already was on the NHS but I just saw they finally stopped recommending it in 2017.

I went to a bunch of talks and debates on the whole thing around 2012 as I remember it being discussed a lot at the time (I think the law was being reviewed? Idk). The local Skeptical Society was big on trying to educate people on it and the sheer amount of money the NHS was wasting on homeopathic treatments.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

is there a tory party conference happening?

Yeah, Manchester lol

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Man, you two really are unnecessarily hostile.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

OwlFancier posted:

Oh gently caress where and please tell me it doesn't run more than a week.

I have to go to manchester week after next and I really don't want it to be full of loving tories.

Manchester Central
Windmill Street
Petersfield
M2 3GX

ends on the 4th.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/live-thousands-protesters-take-manchester-27817464 :toot:
I'm sure there will still be a few protests organised for the other days too, I just imagine todays one will have been the biggest obv.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

put me in coach

Do it :yeshaha:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Koos Group posted:

It is true that standard D&D rules do not apply and thread moderation is according to the judgement of the IK(s). I would certainly be willing to have an additional EngPol hangout thread on another part of the forums while making the one in D&D more rigorous if there were interest in this.

FYI There is already a UK Casual chat thread in GBS and then a UK Politics shitposting thread in CSPAM. Not sure what other subforums there are that a new thread would be suitable in.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

josh04 posted:

I don't think Koos is advocating for changing the thread, just using those advanced debate club skills to note that if we want more moderation itt then it's either add more IKs or change the current detent where D&D mods don't touch the thread (which is fairly strictly adhered to). No pressure to change the latter.

How come the UKMT has it's own rules that aren't the D&D rules? What are the rules for this thread? Are there any other threads that also have their own rules and are they listed somewhere? :confused:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

josh04 posted:

My understanding is that general site rules apply but it's trusted that local thread IKs will apply them more appropriately than out-region mods who usually deal with US-specific stuff. This arrangement pre-dates the new D&D rules which I think everyone agrees would basically destroy the communities in these threads.

e: for clarity i am not a d&d mod or d&d-mod-adjacent

Thanks for clarifying! I wasn't aware there were special rules in place. It seems kinda dumb so I'll just swerve this thread from now on. :3:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

feedmegin posted:

He is the chat thread IK fair warning

snitch

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Tesseraction posted:

Idiot King comes from I believe FYAD where their mods are idiot kings who have no access to the full mod forums but otherwise have the same powers.

It's been modified over time to be any non-full-moderator in any forum, and apparently can even see reports now?

IKs can't see reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

bake off entries are in and it's time to vote
was a quiet one this year but oh well

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733476&pagenumber=4007#post536041522