Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i assume nobody clicked it because "look at this video of a tory" is not terribly enticing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i wouldn't say it's a judgement so much as knowing the route of a well-travelled road. desperately sad in any case

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i've only read a couple of Cultures but i like it when the robots say "gently caress"

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Angepain posted:

The problem with VBA is when the one person who bothered to learn Visual Basic leaves and then you have an untouchable magic incantation spreadsheet that everyone is hoping will never break. now of course the answer is "actually train your staff to have better skills to do their job correctly" but that costs money so

Work in the NHS and can confirm. I don't even use VBA because of this, simple conditional formatting, lookups and use of tables* is enough to make people scared. When I started a previous job as a ward clerk 4 years ago, the prior admin had been recording dates as "dd mm yyyy". With spaces, as a text string. Sometimes with additional text in the cell. People simply do not understand Excel to be more than "notepad with gridlines".

Maybe most annoying thing is that we have a hospital information system that records referral/assessment/discharge dates and demographic data, as you might expect. Trying to get it to generate meaningful reports is impossible though, so we still have to rely on locally recorded data for quarterly/annual reports. The person making said reports for us has a psychology degree and has used R and SPSS, and yet doesn't know how to deal with simple Excel formulae. It's baffling.

*actually moving/inserting rows into an Excel table with conditional formatting is a nightmare and I'm begging for Microsoft to let me apply a rule to a named range. VBA would work better for so much of it in the meantime, but I'm not smart or paid enough to figure it out, other than to make a macro to put "shrink to fit" on the ribbon.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
same as it ever was: no problem with tory policies, only that they aren't the ones doing them

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Pistol_Pete posted:

Steve Bell has been sacked by the Guardian for submitting this 'anti-semitic' cartoon, if you want to know how ridiculous things are getting:

https://twitter.com/BellBelltoons/status/1711480320309002295?s=20

i don't think he's been sacked - they just didn't published his cartoon. given the replies i can see why the guardian didn't want that heat. it does feel a bit clumsy

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
even if the editor knows what the cartoon is referencing, many people in this thread, who are perhaps more clued in than most, didn't know (including myself). i don't think it's unreasonable to be cautious about such things.

actually sacking the guy is a bit much though

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
late to internet ad chat but because it looked like some of you were using youtube to listen to music i would like to let you know that ublock origin is enough to block ads on spotify web when using a free account

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i have made myself feel like poo poo over the last couple days reading too many posts about I/P so i can't imagine how it must feel for someone so closely connected to it

so with that in mind: i think mint aero is really good

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

my hometown MP. get hosed idiot. he got voted in 3 consecutive times and i would be surprised if he didn't get voted in a 4th even with the seat split, but making money's a lot harder when you're not in government so i'm not surprised if he wants to gently caress off

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Maugrim posted:

Sorry to bust in out of nowhere with a shameless plug, but if any London-area goons would fancy seeing a one-man theatre show about neurodiversity created by a majority neurodivergent team, my wife (autistic + ADHD) has been working on this - https://www.omnibus-clapham.org/invisible-animal/

Its been in development for 4 years, she says it's very slick and Tom is charismatic and it has had 5* reviews but ticket sales are shocking and it's only running until 4th Nov, so please come. 60 mins long, fully accessible, and she has a discount at the bar. I'll be there on Sunday or if you book any other night PM me and I'll hook you up

That's about it, I know a good amount of goons are neurodivergent and/or gender nonconforming and this would be an extremely welcoming space for you but it should be enjoyable for everyone. I'm excited to see it!

this looks really interesting! i'll try and get myself a ticket one evening

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
that's a new thread title if you'd posted it in the right one

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
it's going to be g4s or serco and a whole aircraft carrier is going to get a scabies outbreak as a result

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
he sucks so loving bad man. but being seen to defend israeli war crimes is more important than actually listening to muslims or anyone else about it and i can't imagine this episode will get the scrutiny it deserves

e: i'm sure this will go well

https://twitter.com/Taj_Ali1/status/1716926937027997808

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 24, 2023

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
whenever i think of him i always think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBxr2_w5ga8

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
yeah it sucks and i don't like it. seems to frequrently misrepresent situations in a really unnecessary way

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
https://palestinecampaign.org/events/national-march-for-palestine-ceasefire-now/

London/Southerners: there's a march for palestine on Saturday starting at Temple station

28/10/2023
12:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
starmer twitch channel when. want to see him get roasted for being bad at league of legends

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Nuclear Spoon posted:

https://palestinecampaign.org/events/national-march-for-palestine-ceasefire-now/

London/Southerners: there's a march for palestine on Saturday starting at Temple station

28/10/2023
12:00 pm - 4:00 pm

bumping this as poo poo seems to be getting worse

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have firefox on mobile since that + ublock is how I use mobile youtube, it's unusable otherwise. On my PC which I use a lot more, I use chrome mainly because firefox's translation plugins can't hold a candle to the one in chrome which can translate a page withot loving it up or reloading it. And that feature alone is too useful for me to give up chrome yet.

this always bugged me too but Firefox actually recently got an update which allows for inline translation

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i got to embankment around the time the tail was leaving and it was quite some sight seeing all the flags moving across westminster bridge from the riverside

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't think you should base public opinion on X comments.

Now more than ever. The replies under a Big Tweet are going to be boosted bluetick-buyers who are 99% of the time the worst people on the website. Tangentially, been finding a lot of people who I thought would be more scrupulous are still ready to RT bluetick accounts posting poorly-source/framed or straight up incorrect nonsense (even if it's for leftist purposes), and it irks me terribly.

e: don't really want to add more posts to this but at the very least, for such an egregiously awful post, MB should be forced to make an apology where they explain themselves extremely precisely if they wish to continue posting here. I understand our IKs' inclinations in a general sense, but it was a VERY bad post.

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 29, 2023

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

crispix posted:

why in the name of holy hell is chandler off friends dying such a big news story? :confused:

i feel like it received about as much attention as any other "famous person died" story - but he was only 54 so it's quite sad.

this was from an interview he did last year

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

NotJustANumber99 posted:

pretty much everyone is able to work.

Just needs to be done in a sensible, respectful way and.... well here we are

the more pertinent question is "do we need everyone to be able to work"

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
there are many forms of seeking reward beyond "getting paid to do a job"

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
raising a child certainly involves effort and reward but i think the "work" i and other posters are thinking of has the slightly more specific definition of "employer pays you to do some bullshit you likely do not care about"

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

NotJustANumber99 posted:

like this line of argument is basically saying landlords are right

it's not

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

NotJustANumber99 posted:

do you think landlords are parasites that contribute nothing?

society being reorganised such that some people don't need to work is not the same as my landlord pocketing half my paycheck after tax, come on man

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
is it rupert murdoch

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i am also trying to cut down twitter intake - i've logged out of it on my browser so only check it on my phone which i suppose isn't much better, but baby steps. it's hard to disconnect from something which has been the nexus of a lot of social interaction and news over the years

but tweetdeck WAS good (improved by bettertweetdeck) before they hosed it, and some enterprising nerds are always trying to bring it back, god bless them

https://github.com/dimdenGD/OldTweetDeck

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
easily confused with my 20s, which were also great depression

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i mean they're pretty loving bad for you and it seems to be extremely easy for kids to get ahold of them. not to mention the sheer waste from disposables

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i really like nts.live, enough to pay the £3 a month for it for supporter stuff.

breakfast show with flo is good imo

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 8, 2023

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i think very few heads of state in world history have had the impact truss did to be fair

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
frank ocean voice: she's slurpin down the pyramints tonight

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
love a Möbius chip me

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
can't eat most crisps anymore for gluten reasons but these have become a staple of my snacking repertoire

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
there's usually wheat added in the process somewhere

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
walkers, for example, are produced in a factory which also handles cereals. the tiniest bit can gently caress up your guts if you're sensitive - the legal requirements for something to be called "gluten-free" on the packaging is 20 parts per million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
each passing day feels more insane but is perhaps the natural destination of very smart people dedicating their lives to defending the Only Democracy In The Middle-East™ which then starts bombing 50 hospitals a day