Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Good morrow to thee, thread

Guavanaut posted:

🍂 In Other News
• Saponification will be made available as an alternative to cremation later this year, according to the Co-op

:chloe: I don't think they should

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

gently caress. no, please.

Camrath :( You will be missed. My deepest condolences to all those who love him.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tactical Grace posted:

Delurking to pay respect - I'll miss your posting and fudge Camrath. My girlfriend, who's not even a goon, was upset to hear about the nice fudge man too. :(

Yeah my parents were upset too, they had bumped into him a couple of times at LARP events and similar and said he was lovely.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

By any objective measure Starfield is a middling-to-decent game. I have put over 160 hours into it since release.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

fuctifino posted:

I don't think anyone is going to see any significant material victories for a good while, due to our unstoppable rollercoaster to fascism, so I think mining the dystopia for lols is all we've got left. The person behind El Borto has been really inspiring. He also pretended to be one of the actors at the Les Mis JSO protest the other day and had one of his tweets read on air.

They could have made a disaffected French philosopher in a lab and he wouldn't have been able to imagine how powerful a balm absurdist pisstakes of the hell we live in are.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

My great-grandma had one of them ultra-long gardens, it was like four normal gardens stuck together. It was great except the very last sector was surrounded by old, tall trees and had what I think was an ancient root cellar but which creeped my kindergarten brain out immensely. Had some absolute banger nightmares staying at her place centered around things emerging from the end of the garden, though the only one I can definitive remember anymore is a robot that chases you and if it touches you, deletes all your familial relations, everyone recognizes you and that you used to be their child or whatever but you're simply not anymore.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

crispix posted:

what was worse, tree cellar or scraba tower

Oh the cellar by a mile, Scrabo only scared me when it staring in the window

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Scientastic posted:

I know this is from a couple of pages ago and people have moved on, but cleaning your blender is very easy. You put water in it, and switch it on.

Ok then what do you do with all that blended water, jeniuss?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gonzo McFee posted:

They don't give a gently caress, they throw out antisemitism accusations like pennies in front of those vampires that have to stop and count pennies.

That's all vampires, they all do that

Also lmao I would love to know how many people know that Salome was Jewish

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jakabite posted:

HELLO THREAD, RESIDENT GOOFY CHAP JAKABITE HERE WITH SOME GREAT NEWS

As some of you may know I’ve had a protest related case against me for about 4 years now and was due to go on trial in March next year, with a potential if convicted to be going to prison for a bit of time. It was a vindictively handled case obviously designed to intimidate.

AND ITS JUST BEEN DROPPED BY THE CPS

SUCK MY ARSEHOLE AND SWEATY BALLS YOU loving PIG CUNTS

WAHOOOOOOOOO

Banger news Jaka! gently caress them pigs, good on you for standing firm.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I can hear the door creaking

A stunning amount of PS1 sound effects are nestled in the folds of my brain, and shall remain there until the sun is extinguished.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The Perfect Element posted:

There's a generic sound of a rusty gate opening and closing from Resident Evil 2 that still gets used on TV sometimes and whenever I hear it I go wild

There's a confirmation sound effect in the original X-Com that must be a stock sound because this happens with me and that SFX.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

REmake is widely regarded as a club banger, yeah. I do wish we'd get another though because a fully creepy, more old-school survival horror experience with the current engine would be some serious poo poo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tesseraction posted:

I wouldn't know because I tried the first like 60 minutes and died of boredom. I also tried 6 and was howling at how many sharks it was jumping in a single leap.

Haha same, I've played through 5 and it's fine but 6? Woof.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

tbf the expectation that the North would be an economic drag on the Republic after unification has a decent foundation, but it sort of assumes that it's A) Not something that could be solved and B) Not something the EU might be willing to spend some money solving.

Also very funny that a part of the mighty, powerful, strong, respected UK is being touted as so much poorer than what was until recently an impoverished basketcase on the periphery of Europe.

Not that it matters anyway because once a referendum rolls around, there's going to be plenty of disinformation, but I suspect that the economics will be a pretty distant secondary consideration against the fact that Unification has been the overriding political objective of Republicans for a full century now, and conversely remaining with the UK has been just as fervently the only thing that matters to the Loyalists. Even if there are studies on the economic consequences that are both convincing and accepted, an awful lot of people will say "I'm willing to take the economic hit because I feel that the destiny of our nation is a more important matter."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

Initially parsed that as "gridlock" and had a brief moment of confusion as to whether this was some new conspiracy theory that traffic is made up by the government to put you in the fifteen minute city.

The way you know a girl is trans is because she can't read "gridlock" correctly, but I hadn't realized that the obverse is also true

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

It's not really a settled definition; shoah and final solution always refer exclusively to the extermination of the Jews, but Holocaust is used by some people to mean the Jews and others to mean everyone the Nazis targeted for extermination. Others refer to the Nazi genocide or genocides. Some people object to Holocaust on the basis that it's origins carry an implication of sacredness that is about as far from Nazi intentions, Jewish experiences, or theological soundness as it's possible to get.

Just gotta go by contexts.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Viral marketing for Destroy All Humans! has got a bit out of hand

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

NotJustANumber99 posted:

no. my car might leave

You'd still be less divorced than Glinner

Also Firefox owns, has done for years upon years

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'd have actual respect for rishi to get in there and be that snivellingly smalltime. lol. smalltime. Is he the shortest ever PM?

Leon Kennedy voice: Sunak, you're smalltime!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Angepain posted:

some parents are feeling uneasy that their children will be able to make their own decisions when they become legal adults. also some misgendering of a trans child thrown in just for fun. its ok though because they're autistic? I also love the guardian's use of "neurodiverse" here, like, yes we recognise that they have a different way of thinking and still deserve respect but they also definitely can't be trusted to choose their own pronouns because my pal read something on mumsnet

This mum is in for a quare gunk if she ever realizes that getting booted to the adult track is the best possible thing for loving over her son. It's going to take years upon years for that first appointment to roll around, and that's if he's referred to a GIC that is still grinding through their backlog, rather than the ones who have essentially lost that capacity entirely.

E; All solidarity to the people marching for Palestine, all solidarity to the people of Gaza, from the river to the sea!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

kingturnip posted:

I don't disagree with your point, Angepain, but I do think it's a bit surface-level.
As a clinician working in healthcare, we often talk about parents going through grief. Yes, there's the pain of a child dying, or losing a pregnancy, but there's also the grief that comes from having a child with a disability. It's the grief that comes from realising that your expectations as a parent for your child aren't going to be met.
Obviously, you've got the physical disabilities like Downs syndrome or cerebral palsy, but it also applies to children who are autistic. And arguably, that can be harder for parents to deal with, since it usually takes a longer time to become really evident. I've worked with children aged 2-11 where within 5 minutes I'm thinking "This child's autistic" but it can take years for parents to understand that their child isn't neurotypical, let alone actually come to terms with it. (For better or worse, all parents have expectations of their children's future. Like with all things, some parents are just better at dealing with this than others.)

So from that point of view, I can see why some parents of autistic young people who are describing as trans can find that very hard to accept. They've maybe spent a decade reconciling their expectations of a child with the reality and now there's another reality they've got to come to terms with.
I'm not saying that's right. In fact, it tells me that GIC probably need to have access to a boatload of counselling for parents in addition to whatever psychological support is there for the young people (on the basis that having supportive parents is itself psychologically supportive for any child). But it is a thing.

I mean, yes, I get it, and I am sure that the best response is compassionate support so they can work through that stuff healthily, but at the same time... gently caress them? I really can't bring myself to care all that much about the dashed expectations of people who take long enough to come to terms with either autism or gender non-comformity in their own kids that it seriously effects their parenting, or the kid's experiences. I've seen too many trans people who have been treated like they have 'killed' their former selves and like there was a genuine, tangible loss. If parents have a problem and quietly work through it or get support then great, I commend that, but it's stunning how their grief becomes the central focus and animating force for these people so very often.

If anything the fact it's their child makes me less inclined to extend patience. They should be ready to trust their child enough to accept these things and support them even if they don't fully understand, and if they have grief they should be working through it privately and not letting their kid know the first hint of it, not joining pressure groups to prevent any sort of appropriate interventions that medicine understands to be best practice or talking to national media about how you're really worried your kid has autonomy. It is quite literally their first and final duty to provide the best care and support they can to their children, and the harms inflicted by parents who don't accept an autistic child or a transgender child or both are severe enough to make me deeply unsympathetic. That poo poo causes suicides, so I don't really care about how much grief they feel over their own expectations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

happyhippy posted:

Wotsits, classic cheese or flaming hot?
DECIDE NOW!

Classic cheese, obviously

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The fact that our year is X length of time and our day is Y and etc is not any more scientific than just going "yeah a minute is sixty seconds which is about (beat) that long". They are objective measures, but of arbitrary things, and indeed even on earth the lengths of such things have been, and will be, different.

E; I would put 232 scientific seconds in a scientific hour.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tesseraction posted:

No no no! A day is a full rotation and a year is a complete orbit! Those aren't subjective even if we use a made up unit, the second, as the base unit for the overall values. Like I said you can use Planck units to give it a purely scientific value but the second being a societal construct doesn't make it useless! It gives us something we can intuitively understand!

They're intuitively comprehensible, and they are not societally constructed, but objective observations. But they are objective measures of subjective periods! If Earth was 5m km closer or more distant from the Sun, or rotated at a different speed, our years or days would be different lengths! Just as other planets in the system already have. There's no universal constant that demands a day be the length of time it is on Earth!!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/how-universal-credit-changing-government-reforms-affect-payments-disabled-sick-2715679

https://inews.co.uk/news/universal-credit-changing-new-dwp-rules-explained-2710949

The cruelty continues to be the point. Jeremy oval office has expanded the bloodlust remit of the jobcentre to harrass parents of young kids, as well as the traditional beating of the disabled.

Average family is going to lose about £350 they reckon.

"Encourage long term sick and disabled back into work" just tells you all you need to know, doesn't it? They know full well that plenty of people aren't able to work and never will be, and those people need to be destroyed, we aren't producing money for the hyper wealthy so they would love to put us in the ovens, but as that's not quite politically acceptable (for now) they'll settle for slowly grinding as many of ua as possible out through privation.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I cannot believe you lot have had a multi page discussion about 'work' because 99 replied to me saying some people can't work with "pretty much everyone can work" and you got drawn into talking about it instead of telling him to gently caress away off for posting like a Tory

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mega Comrade posted:

Tbf I dislike the sentiment that encouraging disabled people back into work is in some way cruel. Most disabled people want to work, but are not given the support they need to be allowed to.

The issue with the Tories is they don't plan to provide that support (and Starmers Labour won't either)

I mean, yes, to some extent that's true, but the country we live in does not provide any of that support and believes that the most effective, and only appropriate, way to encourage disabled people into work is by making life on benefits utterly miserable and making us regularly demonstrate that, yes, the lifelong conditions that afflict us still afflict us (oftentimes wrongly denying our benefits renewals and forcing us through the appeals process with all the combined stress of the process itself and lack of income until and unless it succeeds).

This is without mentioning that work for many disabled people would require such radical departure from how things currently operate as to be preposterous.

We're so far from a society that facilitates disabled people working that yes, I do believe it is cruel to encourage ('encourage') disabled people into work. It does far more harm to all of us who can't work or would need considerations that capitalism finds prohibitive than arguing it's cruel does in any discouragement it causes to the disabled.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

His Divine Shadow posted:

Last sunday a bunch of kids knocked on my door and said trick or treat. I was totally flabbergasted and didn't have any candy. Wasn't even October 31st though I don't think anyone here gives a poo poo about the exact date. I guess if we're gonna adopt the custom in Finland we'll make sure it happens on a weekend.

And we already have a custom where kids dressed up and went asking for candy, that's easter. Do we really need two?

What the gently caress

No, you need one, and it's Halloween. Going around asking for candy on Easter? Demented. Are they like "Crucifixion or treat!"??

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

His Divine Shadow posted:

gently caress you, there are other cultures than the american one.

Trick or treating originated in Scotland and Ireland and we've been doing it like five times longer than the yanks. I just think Easter's a strange time to doing it and I'm not sure why that caused such grievous offense but ok, joking withdrawn

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

forkboy84 posted:

Guising. Not trick or treating. Trick or treat is "you go to the house & demand sweets", the noble guising is you get sweets if you perform a party trick of some kind, usually singing a song or telling a joke.

Things can change over time.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh is that what we had last month

loving flattened us

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

keep punching joe posted:

Nadine Dorries new book sounds interesting...

In incredibly Northern Irish voice: Didj you believe them when they told you I was deid? That my fight against line dancing had fineeshed? Never, never, never, never!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

My PIP came through, a massive weight off my mental shoulders, have a drink to celebrate me

Banger news, enjoy your relief!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I've raided enough old Velothi burial grounds to know that the ancestor ghosts must be respected

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Largest oil reserve in the world is beneath Khan Younis, just facts

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Wait there really is oil and gas under Gaza (or its waters), I was just riffing on the comment above mine lol

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Presumably it was upon the realization that Madagascar wasn't in the cards when Hitler went mad and ended up killing six million Jews.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lol at how badly she's hosed it

Thought she was about to usurp Rishi and instead demonstrated that she's more radioactive than the demon core

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The situation is bad in so many places, yet despite that I can still see the shining future. Equality and equity, unity and tolerance, compassion and generosity - and when you think those things sound naive or unattainable, then look around again, because they're everywhere. People are marching globally for a ceasefire, protesting for a just and enduring solution, donating to MSF and ANERA and so on. The evil are powerful, seemingly overwhelmingly so, but they have the weight of centuries that established their structures, decades were needed to ensconce their current power, and they are desperately working every day to maintain it because the truth is they rightly identify the ultimate fragility of those systems.

We are not foreordained to get something better, but we have the capacity to build it. All dragons can be slain. All wounds can be bound. All sins redeemed and all wrongs forgiven. I am not advocating a complacent expectation that things will improve, but rather hope that they can be improved, even though it may be the work of years, decades, centuries.

How could I believe anything else when I'm from Belfast?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

I am thankful for your optimism when I am very far from it.

Fuckin told you good things can happen :getin:

Though she'll probably be back for a third go before long

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Greensill? So now it's a scandal for the PM and new Foreign Minister to have a good working relationship?

I guess you could at least argue that Lord Cameron is already known to many other politicians across the world, but the problem with that is that Lord Cameron is already known to other politicians across the world. Okay he's not a bumbling fool the way Johnson is, nor a gormless halfwit still starstruck by being at the big kid's table like Truss, but he's responsible for what is widely regarded as the UK losing the plot entirely and his barmy brexit backfire isn't going to be forgotten in Washington and Brussels just because he can brush his hair properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Huh he actually looks pretty good with that facial hair.

Tremendously funny that Gove got nothing, what a frabjous day :laffo: