Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

To carry on printer chat from last season, I have a Canon printer, and the 'Double-D Premium Ink Cartridges' from Amazon get seen as genuine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

smellmycheese posted:

Ok as we’re dug into this subject I’m gonna ask the Goonmind. I am a good cook, if I say so myself , I enjoy cooking, I can make lovely food of all types. But I cannot get PORK loving CRACKLING to work. I’ve tried everything - you name it. Blazing hot oven, salting, oiling, boiling water, drying, pan frying , every loving technique and it STILL DOESNT WORK.

Same, except for this:
https://rasamalaysia.com/chinese-roast-pork/
which is loving heavenly (e: and seems to include every technique at once btw). Hit and miss using the technique on other cuts, and I skip the garlic for a roast.

Cauliflower cheese should be mostly an excuse to make a shitload of thick mustard and mature cheddar sauce and lightly season it with small lumps of soft cauliflower. Good with beef and pork, god tier with a big roast ham/gammon.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I love a good stuffing. Did you ever have one of those turkeys stuffed with a duck, stuffed with another bird, stuffed with another bird? I had one once, it was 5 birds deep. It was wonderful, dense, intense.

I've been getting the multi bird stuffed thing you get in Aldi/Lidl each year for the past few years. Less hassle than turkey, random flavours all over, its great.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

RIP Camrath dude. I was the goon that stairsed him last year at an event and got 10% off some the lime & chilli fudge.
A very good egg, will be sadly missed.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

If you like space opera, I recommend Pandoras Star and Judas Unchained (a 2-parter) by Peter F Hamilton.
Ian Banks, my favourite is the Algebraist, and that's not a culture one. Its a bit heavy at the start too, takes a good 1/3rd before it really kicks off, but the least half is worth the buildup imo.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

They're called Burgage plots, and a few places round where I am have them too. They make for interesting gardens.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Pistol_Pete posted:

Getting married today. It's that awkward time where it's still too early to put my suit on and leave the house, I don't really feel like doing anything else and I probably shouldn't start drinking just yet. Ugh, just want it to be over.

A wedding is a party where technically, you're the host, but you have paid people (and got a best man/MoH) to do the poo poo-giving, it's literally your day to kick back and let it roll by now. Have fun!

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Scampi fries > scampi niknaks
Those bacon ones they do are not a patch on frazzles.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

On my phone, this read as 'Israels Nuclear Arse', and that's another technology gap that Brexit has left us with. We must upgrade our sex arse technology if we wish to compete on the world stage.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

NotJustANumber99 posted:

its taken me 6 months to fail to get british gas to fit a smart meter so I've left and now I'm a month into octopus's 6 month stint at failing to fit me a smart meter before i leave and try whoever else still exists.

I'm with E-On, and I asked for a Smart meter and got one fitted in about a week. We're in a mobile deadzone, so I asked the engineer to fit the extended aerial (T1) and he looked at me like I was mad, went up the hill to get signal to talk to the depot, then came back with one from the van and said he'd never actually fitted one before, didn't even know they had them. And it bloody worked!

There is an even bigger T2 aerial you can get installed, but only if they try a T1, fail, and then register the failed installation with a request to try the T2, which has a longer cable and could reach an attic/outside wall.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Renfield posted:

Why on earth do you want one ?

I changed to Eon a couple of years ago - having a smart meter was a condition of the contract. They found asbestos in the electric meter and so couldn't change it (They didn't change the gas either for some reason).

Even without being as obsesive comprehensive as Jaeluni about usage, there are no benefits to anyone that keeps even a vague eye on their consumption.

EV car rates need it, and EV car rates with solar and batteries are awesome. Finally got it installed last month, and so far we're looking at saving £1k+ a year for a £10k setup on home electric and car fuel. It gets it down to ~3p a mile for the car (compared to 40p/mile for petrol/diesel). It does push up the day rate by 20%(!), so if you don't have solar+battery to take off daytime load then it's just good, not great.
Also, I'm getting a small (1kW) immersion heater in the hot water tank on a timer. I live far from civilisation so have oil heating (lol) which has tripled in price, and the night rate works out cheaper than oil, so dump heat into the tank at night and hopefully save oil too.
I've also discovered the time delay start on all the big machines in the house, so dishwasher, tumble dryer and washing machine all go on during the magic 0-7am timeslot, so the usage chart is like 25kW used in those hours and bugger all until sun/battery go at 7pm.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

OwlFancier posted:

Why does terry limit himself to making only commonplace shapes, why not terry's chocolate tesseract?

Mm, Terry's Chocolate Lament Configuration...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Cookie Cutter posted:

Open question for UKMT - there are housing schemes in the UK that match houseless refugees with people with spare rooms, but doing some research it looks like an exchange of rent is standard practise for this, where does this fall on the ALAB scale?

Most councils will pay you to house Ukrainian refugees at the moment, but you will need to help with paperwork and other things to get them settled. We had a mum and two kids stay with us for almost a year and it was great. I learnt to make a passable borscht, but my veronike taste ok but I can't make the dough quite right. There's a lot of charities that help with clothing etc. and once our guests chose what hey could use, we passed the bundles on and so we ended up visiting one of the refugee hotels where they are putting Afghan and Syrian refugees, and it loving sucks. They are barely allowed out, have very little around them but industrial estate, and securicor guards patrolling like a prison and giving any visitors the fourth degree.
If you can afford it, do it, don't be surprised if they offer to pay bills/etc. as in my experience, they don't want to be treated special, they want a chance to start living again.