Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crimbo starts in september and once halloween is over it gets all the space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

They're calling it 'resomation', but if you're putting a body in the soap making chemicals and shaking it around a bit there's already a name for the end result of that.

Slight irony of "cremation pollutes the air, we're going to put people in the water as liquid soap instead" finally getting approval just as the shitey water scandal peaks.

Maybe that's the 'nutrients' that Gove is referring to :cthulhu:

Cancel out the human filth with human soap.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It seems weird to me that they will go to any loving length other than just letting people decay normally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am really trying to figure out how you rhyme latte with twatty.

Twatté

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It really is a dreadful thing to be associated with. Avocados I can tolerate but I really don't want to be assumed to like harry potter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really wonder who they imagine could.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have a narwhal horn and I'm not letting it anywhere near either of those two.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dead Goon posted:

What was wrong with Steve Irwin?

Did they entomb the crocodile with him?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very similar to asbestos use then seemingly, in that for a while it was just in everything and not really documented and now we get to go round trying to find it and make sure it isn't falling apart.

kecske posted:

so if you want a house thats anywhere close to structurally sound it needs to have been built pre- 1950? ok then

I assume "don't get one with concrete structural elements" is also an idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone must have made an asbestos aero cement roof tile.

Soylent Yellow posted:

I work with that type of worktop at a safe degree of separation, and there's no way of machining it without generating a gently caress-ton of small particulates. The reputable fabricators have the proper mitigations in place, but there are plenty of shoestring operators who are pretty much a couple of guys with angle grinders.

I'm honestly surprised that nobody came up with a way of introducing asbestos into RAAC (unless they did). It managed to find it's way into pretty much every other prefab building material of the time.

My mam has some stone counter tops and it's daft because she now won't actually use them for anything you would use a worktop for because she doesn't want to damage them.

I'm not sure what the point of them is supposed to be. The laminated chipboard ones seem a lot more sensible and you don't mind so much if they get marked.

If I was going to spend a fortune on a counter I would get it made of wood cos then you can at least fix it with a hand plane.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 2, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Election song is sung by Rick Astley.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Uniforms are loving stupid anyway, or at least anything beyond "black trousers, polo shirt" or something like that. Stuff you can get anywhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The DfE should at very least try to figure out how the whole of the rest of Europe manages without school uniform without all the "kids will form terrorism gangs based on their brand of trainers" fears that come up every single time it is discussed.

But apparently the unofficial motto of the DfE is "we refuse to learn."

Honestly the only argument I would entertain is trying to stop kids being made fun of for not being able to afford fancy clothes. But I suspect that would be better achived by schools giving a poo poo about kids being twats in general which they didn't when I was at school.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who is Sabine Hossenfelder?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

Looks like Rayner got Nandy's "shadow leveling up" role which, while I know it is, doesn't sound like a real thing.

Shadow minister for buying world of warcraft gold.
Shadow minister for grinding purples.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

This sounds like it ought to be a drugs thing.

snorting handfuls of quality street

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They absolutely need to call the next leadership contest "let me be keir"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobstar posted:

Is the whole shadow cabinet thing made up and the points don't matter, like everything else? Meaning, there's no obligation to have a shadow X secretary* at all?

*minister of the site formerly known as Twitter

The real flex would be making up shadow ministers the government doesn't have and possibly doesn't want. Shadow minister for big wet shits, shadow minister for micheal fabricant's hairpiece.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I for one feel very reassured whenever people go on about their values, values are so important that every company has them and they really make a difference when they're charging you a fortune and dumping poo poo in the river.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look you point at a guy and there's this blast of synth chorus noise and they immediately recover from being shot by a cannon, how difficult could the training be?

If you keep up the complaining then we're just going to turn everyone into mutants and tell them to go stand in the tiberium for a while.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The loving cheek of claiming that benefit cuts and penalties will lead to financial independence and a more fulfilling life.

We can see what they're doing on the same page.

Ah but the money of the state is laden with shame, only the pittance and degradation of the employer can bring true fulfilment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I imagine in a lot of places there isn't a great distinction made.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest the swimming pool is wilder than the ocean, far more likelihood of getting killed and eaten in a swimming pool than in the ocean.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Has roast dinner ever been anything but mostly vegetables? Are people going around with a plate that's 60% meat?

The vegetables are the point, you can roast a chicken but what makes it a roast dinner is having all the veg done with it and in with the meat so they taste good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would be consistent with the last time with labour introducing the fit for work assessments and the tories "improving" them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

The local uni has a 'wild swimming' society called wet and wild, they quite often make bookings with us and they get put in the diary as the watersports society as I am a child

I mean, they are at the moment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is something grievously wrong with a people who live on an island and are afraid of going in the sea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

I would agree but it is very cold. I pretend to enjoy it but I’m not sure if I really do.

It's very nice on a sunny day. If anything that's half the enjoyment, if it's too hot you can get in the sea, lovely and cold.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fuctifino posted:

e: John Noakes is trending, and it's because of this video:

https://twitter.com/danbarker/status/1699517438952399195

We certainly did things differently in the 70's... :lol:

I wonder how the cameraman got up there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

Beautiful Dearly Loved Queen of the UK!
Alas! I am very sorry to say
That your exceptional life has been taken away
On the second Thursday of September 2022,
Which will be remember’d for a very long time by me and you.

Grossly unfair to McGonagall IMO.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

I wonder who is stealing her name then, two poets with the same name is unusual.

I would be cautious about describing everyone who commits poetry as "a poet"

Like yes technically it is correct and gatekeeping is bad but if someone does something professionally I think the descriptor is more apt than someone who writes into the newspaper with... that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0ot9iJm_k

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is some old comedic animation or other that people latched on to ages ago, the goon shibboleth is very old.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rimworld is a funny one because if you're playing it conservatively that just shows a lack of imagination, you can and should make a colony of big gay polycules and fire industrial quantities of corn at people to make friends with them.

Also MORROWIND the game about politicking your way through a setting that's the slightly less/diffferent kind of racist empire vs the very racist elves and you have to decide whether you want to side with the factions selling out the natural resources of the island to the imperial conquerors or the nativist isolationist slavers while also trying to destroy the living god kings who set themselves up in charge of everything. The most conservative game imaginable. Clearly the empire is the EU and house telvanni is the BNP.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 9, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Constant rolling thunder here, nice to have a break from the heat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

You’re one of those people who also want to ban fireworks and balloons aren’t you.

E: My PTSD is triggered by the police, which actually should be banned.

Fireworks do seem like a quite bad idea all round to be honest, their only applications in public hands are being a dickhead, blowing your hand off, and making rich dickheads money.

Oh and I guess making IEDs but ymmv on whether that is a pro or a con.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is the xcom debate that we should send the murder dogs to fight the lobstermen?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if I got lucky that everyone in my family who would have went to the pub either died or had no contact with me.

Instead I got to go to the slot machines with my grandmother, much healthier, and also probably illegal now/then?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The last dog/pub related incident I had was rescuing the wandering dog belonging to the landlady of a pub because she'd locked it out and hadn't realised and it was wandering around the high street looking lost and dodging traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/josephattard02/status/1701291367647822006

This is the cover for the October party conference. I've officially run out of words

Keirless Whisper.