Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Julio Cruz posted:

boy are they in for a surprise

This gave me a really good chuckle and then I felt bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

A lot of people are buying into the whole 'woke' thing, it may just be 'political correctness gone mad' in new clothing but its pretty much all the tories have at this point. Its not gonna win them the election but it might save some seats and position them for their fight back afterwards.
Expect a lot more of this.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I'm surprised she didn't take it, that 'journalist' is vile.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66707923

quote:

Among 18 to 24-year-olds, only 30% say the monarchy is "good for Britain", compared with 77% among the over-65s.

The pollsters found that overall, 62% want to keep the monarchy.

On whether the Royal Family is good value for money, 75% of the over-65s believe they are, but only 34% of 18 to 24-year-olds feel the same.

And while 80% of the over-65s want Britain to stay as a monarchy, that falls to 37% for the 18 to 24-year-olds.

Think we will drop to below 50% within a decade if big ears stays in the big chair.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 4, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Is it really a meltdown is this is the sort of content he regularly puts out too gain followers?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

It's interesting what breeds get painted as "bred to kill".

During WWI and the 1920s it was German Shepherds, post WW2 it was Rottweilers and Dobermann Pinschers. Now it seems to always be poorly defined American dog breeds.

People were screaming for the Staffordshire bull terrier to be banned a couple years ago. Now the number of incidents linked to them has fallen despite their ownership numbers barely moving. Its now the Bully XL that has caught the Daily Mails eye.
It was Rottweilers and dobermans when I was growing up that was the evil dog breed.

There are certain types of owners who want strong powerful breeds and want them to act aggressive. You can't solve that problem with a banned breed list.

I don't know what the answer is but I agree with the RSPCA that the banned list is ineffective.

I'm biased though, I own this child gobler
https://i.imgur.com/arb2Glt.mp4

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 11, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

^^
Introduce him to other dogs with a muzzle on.

My dog is weird with cats, out in public she tries to play with them like they are a dog. If they turn up in the garden though she will chase them away, behaviour I'm fine with as we have Guinie pigs.
I still lead her when I see a cat out and about though, a cat can easily blind a dog getting in its personal space.

Jakabite posted:

Can we please not become the US though, where people aren’t allowed to have their dogs off leash anywhere but a ‘dog park’ whatever that is

oh no a Labrador came and sniffed me how will I survive

I doubt that would happen. There are barely any public dog parks in the UK so no alternative for good exercise. The closes thing that exists is those fenced off areas you can rent for £10 an hour.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 11, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Dabir posted:

We have largely moved past the need for dogs imo

:dafuq:

You just anti pet in general?

forkboy84 posted:

Sure, if we have laws stopping idiots from owning predators instead. And then you know that the enforcement of that law is going to be racist as poo poo.

Just have a hamster or something.

I'd be fine personally demonstrating my ability to be a good owner and my dog being a good girl.
But the reality is this Government (or Starmers Labour) would never fund such a scheme.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

This is a part of it, they are bought by people who want a dangerous dog. But there is another important part that is often forgotten and has me rolling my eyes at all the poo poo people say about "little dogs being more likely to bite" or pointing to historic moral panics about dogs:

Ok here he go, I'm gonna go by the American Pitbull here as while no breed exists called the Pitbull but the American Pitbull it probably what you meant and there is lots of data we can look at.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

When worst comes to worst, If a little dog, or a German Shepard, or a Doberman bites someone, they can be pulled away, or fought against, or even recalled by their owner. It is rarely going to be a big deal. Maybe a few stitches at most.

A German Shepard has a stronger PSI bite than an American Pitbulls, a Doberman a tiny bit less. We have lots of fatality figures from both German Shepard's and Dobermans are you just gonna pretend they didn't happen?There was a strong push to ban both in the 80s because of it.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Physically, their jaws lock on and they have incredibly overstrength jaws,

Complete myth. Jaws are similar to other breeds of their size , they don't have some special lock on mechanism and their PSI is similar to that of similar size breeds

Brendan Rodgers posted:

which they needed for the bloodsport known as "bull baiting", which was their purpose*.

There is effective no dog that exists today that was used for bullbaiting, many of them have ancestors that were, but those breeds effectively don't exist anymore , dogs are incredibly maluable when it comes to breeding, the barely able to breath English bulldog also share that ancestor as do a lot of others that no one brings up as dangerous.

There are breeds that were breed for dog fighting though, some still are including the American Pitbull.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

They don't even really feel pain like other dogs do.

Myth. Its nonsense, It's a tenatious breed but so are hundreds of other similar guard and police dogs. You can find hundreds of videos of people trying to hit a police dog off them to no avail.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

*There are genuinely people who believe they were bred for nannying children. Nannying them right into the grave perhaps. Insane propaganda.

Now this is true, the nanny stuff is silly and made up.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 11, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Knew that was coming. No, sorry, my dog’s happiness at being able to run around in the park is more important to me than that, particularly if they’re going to act like a oval office about it like you do about almost everything.

E: particularly given that in my lifetime of dog ownership this has never happened. I’m sure it does but the fact you want all dogs leashed because an extreme minority are scared of them is beyond ridiculous.

I'm all for off leash walking. But it is fair that people expect you should have good recall so you can call them away from anyone who doesn't look comfortable.

JoylessJester posted:

I've never run anyone over while drink driving, so I should be allowed to do it and if that scares you that's your problem.

This made me chuckle though, don't know if genuine or parodying Daily Mail but funny regardless.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Aphex- posted:

And this is the flipside of things. People need to be more aware that they should be asking the dog owner if they can come up and pet them first, rather than automatically going OOH DOGGY COME HERE!!

I had a little girl ask this the other day. It was very sweet and I commended her on her manners asking first. She giggled with delight when I put a treat in her hand and showed her some simple commands my dog will do.

On the flip side complete adult strangers will bend right down to my dogs face to pet her and make a fuss without asking or even acknowledging me. Putting your face next to a dog's mouth you do not know without checking with the owner is colossally stupid thing to do, but it happens a few times a week.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Complete change of topic but what's the parents actual excuse for Sara Sharif's death?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The kids are waiting out side already, on their vapes

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I don't mind spiders I just wish the wouldn't put their webs at face height.

My bird feeder is also covered in spiders ATM, which seems very unwise on the spiders part.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

He's not on TV anymore for people to care. Plus the thread has no heroes, all celebrities are sinful.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Saying people should keep dogs on leads around strangers makes them worthy of being called a oval office? Really?

Well that poster in particular wants dogs leashed at all times which is a bit more extreme than "don't let your dog go up to strangers unless they seem receptive "

Mourning Due posted:

Are you saying that sensory sensitivity isn't real? Or that sudden unexpected loud noise and unwanted physical contact cannot trigger it?

I'm not saying "all neurodiverse people hate dogs", I'm saying that selfish people don't consider the possibility that other people may not love being lunged at by your poorly controlled animal.

Your wording was that dog owners think "gently caress neurodivergent people" which was the issue. If you said people not thinking about these issues is thoughtless (which I think is what you meant) I don't think people would have had the same reaction.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Say something mildly praising the Lib Dems.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I'm sure it's just those anti Brexit judges at it again.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

British tourists should be kept leashed. We do untold damage and steal artifacts when allowed to roam free overseas.

Guavanaut posted:

Didn't they only come out with that as a reaction to Labour's "we will ban cigarettes?"

Disposable vapes are trash and there should at the very least be a battery/ewaste deposit scheme that's better than "chuck them in the park where they can start fires", but the whole "we will ban old thing"/"no we will ban new thing" double act is pretty tired.

Its a very lazy appeal to the public but I genuinely think they should just be banned, even if people bin them they end up in a landfill.
And it's not like it's a ban on all vapes, just the ones that are mostly used by children and encourage huge amounts of ewaste.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Oh absolutely, I should make it clear that my stance has always been that dogs with a tendency to roughness should be under stricter scrutiny than, to return to my joke earlier, a pomeranian.

Anything that's breed specific is doomed to fail. Dog genes are just far too maluable. To enter your dog at crufts you need a KC certificate proving the authenticity of the breed which requires it to be bred from two other KC registered dogs because even expert dog judges cannot guantee a breed by sight and measurement's alone.

You also can't legislate by weight really either. Labradors are over 30kgs, the same weight class as American Bullies. And what if you dog is below the threshold and then goes over after gaining weight from neutering, which is common side effect? Its just full of issues.

Any dog law needs to be breed and size agnostic to work, plus it should be more than just about human health but that of the animals too.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

You know those things didn’t always exist don’t you? Speed limits were introduced because people were driving beyond the safe limits of their vehicle and ability. Low emissions zones were introduced to reduce the damage local populations were suffering from fumes. All these were and in some cases continue to be fiercely opposed by people who’s view is that any restriction on their freedom to do whatever they want with their car is unreasonable because they’re a responsible person - just like your view regarding dogs. Honestly if you replaced dogs with cars the discourse in this thread would be right at home at Pistonheads.

I wasn't aware I had to be mindful of my car's physical and mental health in that way. I haven't driven it much recently, I hope it's not depressed :ohdear:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The British Bulldog is the perfect dog analogy for Britain. Once fierce and strong, able to take on animals far larger and more powerful than it, now reduced to a fat stumpy inbred mess that can barely breathe or walk. But still acts like it can.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Oh ho ho ho ho that's a spicy take.
You've done this threads equivalent of farting in an elevator.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The cricket jumper or wearing a dog collar?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

TACD posted:

It’s exceedingly stupid and thank goodness I never spent money on any dumb poo poo like Pogs or Gogos or trading cards when I was a kid 👀

I feel this is one of the more bizarre kid trends. Atleast with pigs, pokemon cards or yo-yos you got something at the end you kept.

Kids are begging their parents drive for miles to buy an energy drink.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

You’re risking sounding a bit like your dad here. Kids like dumb gaudy poo poo and these days it’s not from TV adverts it’s from a couple of shyster conmen on YouTube

We liked all sorts of dumb poo poo. But I don't recall a drink or food item being fad like this.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

You're allowed to poo poo here but you should pick it up and bin it afterwards. And no just hanging out on a tree branch, promising you'll deal with it later.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-66709052
Trans guidance is needed in schools, parents tell BBC

I almost suspect the Government are taking ages to do this because they know once it's set it could be challenged in court. So they would rather make statements to the daily mail where it can go unchallenged.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Honestly I had very supportive parents growing up but would have struggled to bring up something like that to them.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Reveilled posted:

Bit of a tangent but I have always wondered how common temporary gender dysphoria (I'm not sure if that's the right way to phrase it) is during puberty. I had a period of maybe about 6-12 months when I was about 14ish where I strongly wished I was a girl. I never told anyone about it at the time, and then at some point it just disappeared and those feelings never came back. It's not really one of those things that's easy to talk about because I feel like people will make assumptions about ulterior motives.

I wonder this to. When I was a kid I went through a time where I was very confused about what it was to be a boy. If I was a kid today I imagine I'd have given being non-binary a go.
Now I imagine, just like back then, I'd have realised i was just being uncomfortable with what society tried to claim being a boy was and required of me, rather than me not being one. But it's still an interesting thought experiment in how that would have played out if it had happened today.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Miftan posted:

Nobody is concerned by teenagers being goths or w/e but maybe that's because goths don't sack capitals anymore I dunno

Complete tangent. Saw some kids wearing the exact same nu metal look huge black jeans with chain the other day, just as I did as a kid.
I thought that was one of the trends that was so awful it would never come back but I guess all fashion is circular.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Eat the Welsh.

Hey, we were here first Saxon boy, you get in the oven.

Aramoro posted:

That's the best part, you don't need to be!

I'm not vegan and I'm not advocating that everyone should be. Just a more balanced diet with less food waste and we're good. We have the tools, just lack the will. Mostly because of people like yourself it has to be said.

The very concept of having a dinner without any meat makes a lot of people melt, it's so bizarre.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

^^
Not sure why free movement is being brought up. That always required you to be a citizen of the EU which these migrants aren't.

You're forgetting the tie.

In my school it was the tie, and a badge in the blazer that had to be a specific colour and style, that was it. No other branding.

Its changed to an academy now though so don't know if that's changed.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 15, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Nah I like the idea of uniforms. Takes away one aspect of peer pressure as a kid, they have enough of them, they don't need more.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Jedit posted:

That's patently not what happens, though? You let kids dress how they want, the poor kid gets mocked for not being able to afford nice clothes. You make everyone wear uniform to take that away, and you get this story where the poor kid is being mocked for not being able to afford the official uniform.

The issue is not what the kids have on their backs. Kids are little shits, there will always be peer pressure. The real issue is one of inequality of social status and wealth.

The issue that can easily be solved then, even by a Starmer Government is the school demanded some ridiculous uniform. Put a cap on how much it can cost.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If you're a man and work in an office you get to be adventurous with your tie. But not much else.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

I can’t imagine how much worse social media has made it tbh.

At least back in the day once you went home no oval office could have another pop at you until the next day, now they’ve got a 24 hour feed.

You're gently caress ups are forgotten to.
I did some incredibly stupid things as a kid. They would be on the internet if Id done them now.

I'm very grateful I was just entering adulthood when Facebook was created.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

It can't just be Brand, it's barely a story that he's a sex pest.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Noel Fielding is apparently also being named so it's a bad week for yer Goth girl teenage crushes.

They have already filmed this year's British bake off I'd have thought.

Feel a little sorry for Alison Hammond if it ends up not airing.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

So the story here is really just the super injunction?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

fuctifino posted:

I posted about this a few pages back, but there's video now:

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1703046410000621805

Incredible turnaround times

At this point I'm reasonably confident Starmer is just changing policy without discussing it with anyone in his shadow cabinet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Nothingtoseehere posted:

This is the telegraph (and the entire Tory party tbf) thinking woke is just "do trans people exist yes/no". Teresa May did start try and reform Self ID rules when prime minister, which was delayed by Brexit chaos and her failure as prime minister. I have no trouble believing that May thinks trans people are real and it was better to just push through reforms and make it a Tory victory like gay marriage. Doesn't mean she's not an awful piece of poo poo in other ways.

As goalish as the Tories are even some of them are realising rights for trans people are going to come sooner of later. They can either fight it, or get on board and try and claim it as their own idea like with Gay marriage.

Its the closest thing to hope.