Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Started reading Chasm City, and am enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i don’t know how to read

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sure have. the only book you need.

the bible.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

sure have. the only book you need.

the bible.

thats the good book, not any good books -_-

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im sorry about the troll in your thread op

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

yes, op

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

i don’t know how to read

we know this from your posts ~_~

what have you been reading?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

im sorry about the troll in your thread op

Praying for all!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

Praying for all!

me too

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I read books all the time, op

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

AnimeIsTrash posted:

we know this from your posts ~_~

what have you been reading?

children of memory

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

thinking about rereading treason by the book

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
2nd edition of CODE by Charles Petzold is a recommended read

I've mostly been reading baby books to my newborn but you've probably already got those in your library, OP

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

the water margin is a fun read, would recommend

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I recently re-read Player Piano after reading it as a youth and yeah it hits pretty different rn

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

dioxazine posted:

the water margin is a fun read, would recommend

this is also good

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

I recently re-read Player Piano after reading it as a youth and yeah it hits pretty different rn

it’s good but it’s always fun how old fiction from then couldn’t imagine women having any different roles from back then over time

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

it’s good but it’s always fun how old fiction from then couldn’t imagine women having any different roles from back then over time

he was contemporary with Le Guin so i think its the author, not the age.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

he was contemporary with Le Guin so i think its the author, not the age.

fair enough. Vonnegut is a really good story teller but not a solid sci-fi author, especially for the latter when compared to le guin

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I mean like lots of people will tell you that Vonnegut is not a sci-fi author so yeah

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I recall someone recommended me the forever war book because they loved it as a teenager and they had fond memories and then I read it and there’s a whole bit where the protagonist wakes up in the future and everyone is forced to be gay now and it’s not his style so he goes to sleep for a few more eras to get back to some hetero times

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

I mean like lots of people will tell you that Vonnegut is not a sci-fi author so yeah

he’s gotten close a few times with player piano and cats cradle and a few others but you felt it was never about the fiction in a way that’s far more naked than le guin.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i started reading a book and jt kinda sucked probably should have noticed the quote from obama about how much he liked it on the back

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m reading a book called rejection proof because I want to stop being afraid of rejection

you’d think I’d have built up alligator armour against it by now

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

currently reading the monkey wrench gang. it’s good.

recently finished the wild trees. it was great

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
didnt you literally just sell your house to move in with your gf or something

anyways imma get back on finishing out the 3body books this weekend probably

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Other books I've read recently:

Against The Grain: good, but a real downer
Tao De Ching: fantastic, I read it like once of twice a year
Stand Out of Our Light: good, but its more of a manifesto than a book really
the first two books of the three body problem trilogy: the first half of the first book was great, the rest of it can kiss my rear end

currently on deck:

Cities and the Wealth Of Nations by Jane Jacobs. Idk poo poo about it but it was $4 at the used bookstore and a couple pages i leafed through looked interesting

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I have this terrible disease that makes it difficult to read fiction. I’ll open a new book and like 60% of the time the writing will make me irl mad and I have to stop reading it forever.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rotor posted:

Other books I've read recently:

Against The Grain: good, but a real downer
Tao De Ching: fantastic, I read it like once of twice a year
Stand Out of Our Light: good, but its more of a manifesto than a book really
the first two books of the three body problem trilogy: the first half of the first book was great, the rest of it can kiss my rear end

currently on deck:

Cities and the Wealth Of Nations by Jane Jacobs. Idk poo poo about it but it was $4 at the used bookstore and a couple pages i leafed through looked interesting

agree agree with take on three body. i did not care for it at all and tbh liked more the bits about the revolution in the first book than anything else

Elder Postsman posted:

children of memory

i feel like all his recent stuff that i’ve read has been good. definitely enjoyed these and i see that lords of uncreation is out too so i’ll have to read that now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I have this terrible disease that makes it difficult to read fiction. I’ll open a new book and like 60% of the time the writing will make me irl mad and I have to stop reading it forever.

lots of modern fiction is shockingly poorly written to the point that i don’t understand how people enjoy it but also you may just not like fiction and that’s fine too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah 3 body problem is not good and idg the hype

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

anyways imma get back on finishing out the 3body books this weekend probably

i'm also re-reading those, and i'm about 2/3 of the way through deaths end

rotor posted:

i think there's a lot of really great stuff in the series but on re-reading it now, the dialog is all kind off weird and off-putting and some things (like the doomsday battle) are just not well thought out. overall i still like it though. the whole dark forest idea is really terrifying and interesting to think about, but i'm sure someone will say it's been done before or something like that.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Anna Karenina. What a banger.
Die Verwandlung. Reread after like a decadE
Next on the list is Losurdo's Liberalism.
I know you probably don't mean textbooks and encyclopaedia etc but I've been dipping in and out of Ashley's Book of Knots.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah i used to not read but i started reading before bed recently. gotta be a book that’s just boring enough i can fall asleep reading but not too boring i don’t want to read it.

i read salem possessed which was pretty interesting. it’s about how the witch trials were more of an offshoot of factional power struggles, rather than about witchcraft itself.

archaeology books have been pretty good too, they really hit the perfectly interesting and boring note for me.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

yeah 3 body problem is not good and idg the hype

i liked all 3 of them, 2nd was probably the best and the 3rd was pure sf schlock which im a sucker for

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Buck Turgidson posted:

Next on the list is Losurdo's Liberalism.

i downloaded this but havent read it yet. kinda want to read his book about stalin too

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

baldur's gate 3 has been very fun, so i started reading RA Salvatore's Drizzt books. they're fun and simple. however why is drizzt the main character when jarlaxle is so much radder????

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i generally enjoyed the culture series by banks, but i've not reread them. malazan was utterly confusing and made me question my grasp of the english language, i still don't understand it to this day

i am "currently reading" the deer and the cauldron by jin yong, in that i've not touched it in a few weeks

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Eeyo posted:

archaeology books have been pretty good too, they really hit the perfectly interesting and boring note for me.

post em, bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

didnt you literally just sell your house to move in with your gf or something

not rejection from chicks lol just like, asking for a raise or asking for upsize my mcdonald’s or whatever