Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i read 2 textbooks on andean archaeology i had: incas new perspectives by mcewan and incas and their ancestors by mosely. andean history is pretty cool and the incas are wild. shame the conqueror guy just literally walked into the incan empire at the right time. like he literally just stumbled upon the emperor while he was on his way back from defeating his enemies in a civil war and captured him, then it was all over.

also read silk road: a new history by hansen. ancient central asia is cool, lots of cultural diffusion and a huge variety of comingled people in a little area. her thesis is that the silk road wasn’t a trade route as such, goods just kinda diffused through the area and the cultural and technological diffusion was the more important feature.

i’m reading voyagers by thomas about the peopling of the pacific. alright so far, when you think about it that’s a hell of an impressive feat for people in outrigger boats. and then those fuckin imperialists came through and ruined everything like usual.

tomorrow i’ll talk poo poo about the books that i didn’t like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i enjoy them + thats all that matters

anybody else runnin a book server in docker?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Jonny 290 posted:

anybody else runnin a book server in docker?

What does that mean? I use calibre for my ebooks but I just store all the books on my PC and connect my kindle when I want to move something over.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it basically is that, but it runs in a vm and i can just pull up a web browser from anything + read a book. its neat

anyways yeah get a lil ebook management system if you have more than a few

book i want to read: dune. hear its p deece

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

fart simpson posted:

the 3rd was pure sf schlock which im a sucker for

same, the back half after the dark forest attack destroys trisolaris was especially great

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

recently finished the (so-far published) murderbot chronicles, which are a fun light sci-fi read that transpose the very human experience of social anxiety onto the titular not-human construct. it’s not really important message sci-fi but is very enjoyable

just started 3 body problem so excited to maybe be disappointed by that? or you’re all fools, who knows

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it gets increasingly out of hand

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

well-read undead posted:

recently finished the (so-far published) murderbot chronicles, which are a fun light sci-fi read that transpose the very human experience of social anxiety onto the titular not-human construct. it’s not really important message sci-fi but is very enjoyable

just started 3 body problem so excited to maybe be disappointed by that? or you’re all fools, who knows

murderbot was a fun, light read, i agree. i held off for a long time because it didn’t seem like my kind of thing but very enjoyable. most of them are novellas so very quick to get through

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
currently working on the Final Architecture series by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I’m halfway through Eyes of the Void. it’s delicious space opera, I rank it up there with the culture books

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

books i did not like or finish:

cahokia: ancient america's great city on the mississippi by pauketat. it was actually mostly a fine read, but there were simply too many descriptions of mass burial mounds of human sacrifice victims, complete with vivid descriptions of how they were dispatched and interred. just a bit too much for me so i put it down.

india's ancient past by sharma. i just did not enjoy reading it. very rambly, and he had some sections describing the different peoples of india talking about body hair and complexion and poo poo like that, which i wasn't sure was particularly useful.

ancient africa: a global history, to 300 ce by ehret. kind of a mixed bag. he talked a lot about linguistics which i don't really know much about so it was hard to follow. i wasn't sure how good of evidence that usually is. he also made some outlandish claims, like he said that women in africa invented pottery, because in most african societies pottery is women's work exclusively. it was just very flimsy evidence to make that claim, even if it may or may not be true.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Cities of the ancient andes i felt was a good book on the civilizations of the Andes, presenting it a lot more as a continuous chain of rising and falling centers rather than a set of distinct civilizations with dark ages in between that seems to be a popular perception of the area.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Eeyo posted:

books i did not like or finish:

cahokia: ancient america's great city on the mississippi by pauketat. it was actually mostly a fine read, but there were simply too many descriptions of mass burial mounds of human sacrifice victims, complete with vivid descriptions of how they were dispatched and interred. just a bit too much for me so i put it down.

india's ancient past by sharma. i just did not enjoy reading it. very rambly, and he had some sections describing the different peoples of india talking about body hair and complexion and poo poo like that, which i wasn't sure was particularly useful.

ancient africa: a global history, to 300 ce by ehret. kind of a mixed bag. he talked a lot about linguistics which i don't really know much about so it was hard to follow. i wasn't sure how good of evidence that usually is. he also made some outlandish claims, like he said that women in africa invented pottery, because in most african societies pottery is women's work exclusively. it was just very flimsy evidence to make that claim, even if it may or may not be true.

seems like history isn’t your thing op have you tried science fiction

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i read all of my books in libby. the library is extremely good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Bloody posted:

its prononced "lie-berry". :eng101:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The Berry of Lies sounds like the title of a children's book

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
read the first 10 “Vlad Taltos” books (Brust) this summer. Above average 90s antihero snark. A Harry Dresden that doesn’t have that stink of chauvinism following him around.

probably going to try Becky Chambers’ “Wayfarers” series next. (First book is The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet) I like Vlad and all, but I think I need a break.

Also, isn’t there a new murderbot?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i been thinking about making a books thread here for a long time thanks op. re posting a post i made in hell world thread the other day:

As I am starting to wrap it up, I want to put the Post Hole Digger Stamp Of Approval on Palo Alto by Malcolm Harris, a wonderful and brilliant book that traces the founding of california and advent of silicon valley through the birth of stanford university, the story of herbert hoover (truly insane stuff here that i knew so little about), post-war anti-communist military funding driving silicon valley's original boom, social unrest in the 60s, california's suburban conservative turn in the 70s/80s, the dot com booms into current day, and then glimpsing into the future. its so sweeping in scope but still coherent throughout and highly readable. i've been telling my wife you could make whole movies out of tons of single paragraphs throughout the book. One of the best books i've read in a long time and something that seems really tailor-made for yospos. i seriously can't recommend it highly enough.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

seems like history isn’t your thing op have you tried science fiction

cant wait for this thread to turn into sci fi thread mk II :allears:

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 1, 2023

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

MrQueasy posted:

probably going to try Becky Chambers’ “Wayfarers” series next. (First book is The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet) I like Vlad and all, but I think I need a break.

i really liked the first three but i'm struggling to get through the fourth

quote:

oh poo poo there is, coming out in november

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Elder Postsman posted:

oh poo poo there is, coming out in november

gently caress yeah 😎 murderbot rules

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

post hole digger posted:

cant wait for this thread to turn into sci fi thread mk II :allears:

sci fi rocks though. it’s all I read

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

sci fi rocks though. it’s all I read

could i interest you in some wuxia novels

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

maybe. whatcha got

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Sword of the Yue Maiden is a good start!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ahhh cool. I’ll add it to the list. I don’t get much time for actual book readin lately, I mostly do audiobooks, but a change might be nice

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

MrQueasy posted:

read the first 10 “Vlad Taltos” books (Brust) this summer. Above average 90s antihero snark. A Harry Dresden that doesn’t have that stink of chauvinism following him around.

brust starting writing more of those recently. he’s also a big marxist

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

its prononced "lie-berry". :eng101:

lol

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

post hole digger posted:

i been thinking about making a books thread here for a long time thanks op. re posting a post i made in hell world thread the other day:

As I am starting to wrap it up, I want to put the Post Hole Digger Stamp Of Approval on Palo Alto by Malcolm Harris, a wonderful and brilliant book that traces the founding of california and advent of silicon valley through the birth of stanford university, the story of herbert hoover (truly insane stuff here that i knew so little about), post-war anti-communist military funding driving silicon valley's original boom, social unrest in the 60s, california's suburban conservative turn in the 70s/80s, the dot com booms into current day, and then glimpsing into the future. its so sweeping in scope but still coherent throughout and highly readable. i've been telling my wife you could make whole movies out of tons of single paragraphs throughout the book. One of the best books i've read in a long time and something that seems really tailor-made for yospos. i seriously can't recommend it highly enough.

adding this to my list, thx op

i just finished "the wind-up bird chronicle" by murakami and it was the most compelling thing i've read in a couple years. loved it, will have to check out more of his stuff

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Bloody posted:

libby has been a godsend for actually getting me to read again. my broken 21st century brain can’t just sit down with a physical book anymore, but i’ve been able to seamlessly replace idle doomscrolling and hate reading on the internet with actual books, which feels a lot better

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

mediaphage posted:

brust starting writing more of those recently. he’s also a big marxist

he never stopped! the reason there’s a 6 year gap between Vallista (15) and Tsalmoth (16) is because he stopped to write a Paarfi novel. (same universe, slightly different style, different/mythological characters)

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
even though i'm a grown rear end man whose college major was english, for some reason i never read the grapes of wrath. i just recently started it and got a couple hundred pages through so far. and holy poo poo, i'm kicking myself for not reading it earlier. especially since i've read other steinbeck and loved it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

DaTroof posted:

even though i'm a grown rear end man whose college major was english, for some reason i never read the grapes of wrath. i just recently started it and got a couple hundred pages through so far. and holy poo poo, i'm kicking myself for not reading it earlier. especially since i've read other steinbeck and loved it

i just read it last year for the first time. it’s no science fiction, but still pretty good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Epic High Five posted:

One thing I always think about whenever this sort of thing comes up was how in one of the book threads, when Grapes of Wrath came up, a goon mentioned that at their nice liberal arts prep school they were assigned to read it but were told they could skip the intercalary chapters lol. Apparently it's a not uncommon take among book sickos that they're just useless fluff which is wild to me.

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this was my favorite bit but feel free to skip it i guess

quote:

The works of the roots of the vines, of the trees, must be destroyed to keep up the price, and this is the saddest, bitterest thing of all. Carloads of oranges dumped on the ground. The people came for miles to take the fruit, but this could not be. How would they buy oranges at twenty cents a dozen if they could drive out and pick them up? And men with hoses squirt kerosene on the oranges, and they are angry at the crime, angry at the people who have come to take the fruit. A million people hungry, needing the fruit- and kerosene sprayed over the golden mountains. And the smell of rot fills the country. Burn coffee for fuel in the ships. Burn corn to keep warm, it makes a hot fire. Dump potatoes in the rivers and place guards along the banks to keep the hungry people from fishing them out. Slaughter the pigs and bury them, and let the putrescence drip down into the earth.

There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success. The fertile earth, the straight tree rows, the sturdy trunks, and the ripe fruit. And children dying of pellagra must die because a profit cannot be taken from an orange. And coroners must fill in the certificate- died of malnutrition- because the food must rot, must be forced to rot. The people come with nets to fish for potatoes in the river, and the guards hold them back; they come in rattling cars to get the dumped oranges, but the kerosene is sprayed. And they stand still and watch the potatoes float by, listen to the screaming pigs being killed in a ditch and covered with quick-lime, watch the mountains of oranges slop down to a putrefying ooze; and in the eyes of the people there is the failure; and in the eyes of the hungry there is a growing wrath. In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

fart simpson posted:

this was my favorite bit but feel free to skip it i guess

he said the thing

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i was made to read the grapes of wrath in high school but all of it was lost on me and i don’t think i even finished it. i think i got the coles notes for my book report

all I remember is tom joad because of the rage against the machine song

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

lol. at first i thought the high-level narrative might take me out of the story because i was initially invested in tom joad, but gently caress that picky bullshit

e: like i wasn't totally feeling the first chapter because it felt like a summary instead of a story, but then we meet tom in chapter 2 and i was immediately vested in the whole shebang

DaTroof fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 2, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
grapes of wrath is very very good and that is probably the best pull from it, and it's only gotten more true as the years go on.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

grapes of wrath is very very good and that is probably the best pull from it, and it's only gotten more true as the years go on.

he also has an oklahoma onion burger recipe slipped in there, 90 years before the hipsters caught on to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I was able to read T C Boyle’s The Tortilla Curtain instead of the grapes of wrath in high school. The terrible life of the undocumented immigrant couple was so tragic, I remember laughing when the yuppie couple’s dogs get eaten by coyotes.