Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
This is really good too.

quote:

This is the beginning—from "I" to "we". If you who own the things people must have could understand this, you might preserve yourself. If you could separate causes from results, if you could know that Paine, Marx, Jefferson, Lenin were results, not causes, you might survive. But that you cannot know. For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I", and cuts you off forever from the "we".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

This is really good too.

whats that from

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
art of war

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

whats that from
The thing that you both have been talking about?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i somehow dont remember that part at all

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

polyester concept posted:

i was made to read the grapes of wrath in high school but all of it was lost on me and i don’t think i even finished it. i think i got the coles notes for my book report

all I remember is tom joad because of the rage against the machine song

i think that’s generally true for most, if not all, high schoolers. i feel like reading before you’re 20 doesn’t really count, there’s just not enough up there for the ideas to bounce off of yet and it’s gonna be hard to get anything to take hold

every time i’ve reread a book that i read in my teens it was like reading it for the first time

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

well-read undead posted:

i think that’s generally true for most, if not all, high schoolers. i feel like reading before you’re 20 doesn’t really count, there’s just not enough up there for the ideas to bounce off of yet and it’s gonna be hard to get anything to take hold

every time i’ve reread a book that i read in my teens it was like reading it for the first time

i def got that from heart of darkness. didn't really feel it as a teenager, but goddamn did it hit different in my early twenties

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i did my senior english paper on Paradise Lost cause Goth and i guaranfuckingtee you i absorbed none of it

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

i did my senior english paper on Paradise Lost cause Goth and i guaranfuckingtee you i absorbed none of it

i havent read milton since grade school and have occasionally wondered if i should revisit

all i remember about his poo poo is that satan was a more rounded character than i had experienced previously

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yall have inspired me to read grapes o’ wrath again

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

rotor posted:

yall have inspired me to read grapes o’ wrath again

another yospos success story

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
another steinbeck to consider

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/4803

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well-read undead posted:

yep

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
anyone here read sagebrushes book?

I presume he’s written one

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah i have

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

fart simpson posted:

this was my favorite bit but feel free to skip it i guess

seems pretty dated, not sure how this is relevant in our modern enlightened era

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

echinopsis posted:

anyone here read sagebrushes book?

I presume he’s written one

the massive melvillian digressions about civil aviation are very strange in a textbook about rounded edges in milling

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I pretty much only read nonfiction now

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

polyester concept posted:

i was made to read the grapes of wrath in high school but all of it was lost on me and i don’t think i even finished it. i think i got the coles notes for my book report

all I remember is tom joad because of the rage against the machine song

you should read east of eden

steinbeck has a lot of really great novels that are relatively short

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

3 body problem? thats what you guys get for having a goon meet. 😂

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

east of eden, cannery row, and to a god unknown are all good but somehow I’ve never actually read grapes of wrath. this thread is making me want to. I like steinbeck

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I hope Pynchon has one more book in him before he goes :pray:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i'm about 30% into 'Soul of a new machine' about the development of a late 70s minicomputer, and so far i hate everyone in the book because they're all insufferable workaholic techbros who think everyone else should work 90hr weeks too

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i haven’t read a lot of steinbeck as an adult, maybe i should give it another go. a few months ago i read of mice and men as part of a sort of dumb guy cycle; of mice and men was ok, flowers for algernon was great, and i still haven’t made it through the idiot, probably because i’ve read my fair share of dostoevsky and idk it’s not his best

i tried to read grapes of wrath when i was in my early 20s and bounced off it, but it would probably take now. plus, hey, everyone else is doing it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

it’s no brothers k but the idiot is still one of my favorite books of all time. section 1 chapter 6 always gets me :cry:

demons, there’s a dostoevsky I have had trouble getting into

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

post hole digger posted:

I hope Pynchon has one more book in him before he goes :pray:

sorry he died years ago

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

david foster wallace was created when the cia failed to clone thomas pynchon

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i really dislike steinbeck

not for any specific reason, though, just not fan of his style of writing

matti fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 5, 2023

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

matti posted:

i really dislike steinbeck

not for any specific reason, though, just not fan of his style of writing

i'm not a huge steinbeck fan, but he wrote some poo poo i liked and i'm totally feeling grape of wrath right now

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I like to have two books on the go: my fiction read atm is Count Bellisarius by Robert Graves (of I, Claudius fame; if you liked that one you'd like this one too); and, for non-fiction I'm reading New York is Now: The New Wave of Free Jazz which I usually read in the corner of a bar in the hopes that mysterious strangers will come up to me and talk about it

Sweevo posted:

i'm about 30% into 'Soul of a new machine' about the development of a late 70s minicomputer, and so far i hate everyone in the book because they're all insufferable workaholic techbros who think everyone else should work 90hr weeks too

if it makes you feel any better, it turns out that boomer techbros couldn't handle 90 hour weeks better than we can and later on there's a chapter where one guy burns out and moves to a commune in Vermont full of nudists rather than spend another moment writing CPU microcode

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

currently reading KSR's The Ministry for the Future about the very near future of climate catastrophe and oh boy is it grim going, give this one a pass if you experience despair without keeping a handle on it.

A hobo did just kill a rich guy by cracking his head with a log, which is the first positive bit of the book so far.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

NoneMoreNegative posted:

currently reading KSR's The Ministry for the Future about the very near future of climate catastrophe and oh boy is it grim going, give this one a pass if you experience despair without keeping a handle on it.

A hobo did just kill a rich guy by cracking his head with a log, which is the first positive bit of the book so far.

best part of the book is the first chapter by a margin

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I have finished the monkey wrench gang. it’s a good one

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Finished Chasm City, pretty fun book. Might start reading Revelation Space next.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

At some point I deleted my calibre web docker instance, so I will also set that up this week. -_-

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m still reading eyes of the void but I’m trying to power through it so wife and I can start lords of uncreation together on our upcoming road trip

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i finished the voyagers pacific islanders book. it's ok, good content but the author had a tendency to write a lot of words and not say that much. there were many page-long paragraphs.

going to read monarchs and milkweed now, gotta learn about plants and butterflies.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

started on neuromancer instead 👍

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

finished three body problem. i gotta say, i found it tedious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Finished Chasm City, pretty fun book. Might start reading Revelation Space next.

i thought chasm city was extremely boring.

better reynolds' books (imo):
- house of suns
- the prefect