Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

started doing a reread of the wheel of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i recently finished the shards of earth trilogy, it was very good

reading translation state now

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

monarchs and milkweed was interesting. i didn't know monarchs don't actually pollinate milkweed, they basically just eat the plant and contribute nothing in return.

one interesting argument the guy makes is that the decline of monarchs probably isn't due to lack of milkweeds. it's largely driven by habitat destruction/climate change in their very fragile overwintering grounds in mexico, plus possibly lack of fall nectar sources. so i'm going to make sure i've got plenty of asters at the house for the little buddies to get down to mexico.

now i'm reading endless forms the secret world of wasps. she brings up pollen wasps that live off of pollen but she hasn't talked about them yet. i think she's more of a social wasp researcher.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

Eeyo posted:

now i'm reading endless forms the secret world of wasps. she brings up pollen wasps that live off of pollen but she hasn't talked about them yet. i think she's more of a social wasp researcher.

ooh my library actually has this one, might give it a read

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
wait did i not already post in this thread. i coulda sworn i did. oh well

actually recently read:

Jordan S. Rubin - Bizarro

about a set of prosecutions under a profoundly nebulous law against the owners of one of the major synthetic cannabinoid brands' owners, detailing how you can literally go to the relevant authorities and ask if something is legal, get a yes answer, and then have the government turn around and say "nah, it's illegal now, and we reserve the right to hide what's actually illegal in general, and screw you if you try to bring in our own disagreement over the matter as evidence". a spectacular demonstration of how arbitrary and stupid US jurisprudence can be

Benjamin Peters - How Not to Network a Nation and Sonja D. Schmid - Producing Power

about the soviets' utterly unsuccessful attempts to develop an internet and very successful, but critically flawed efforts to develop a nuclear power industry, respectively. both broadly studies in organizational failures

not recently read but whatever, it's yospos relevant:

Gretchen McCulloch - Because Internet

an academic linguistic study of the evolution of written language on the internet from the early days of the internet onward. it's a book about posting! or more specifically how specific media constraints shape casual written speech, focused on speech most people here are probably quite familiar with

Andrei Soldatov and Irina Borogan - The Red Web

a study of (mostly) modern Russian efforts to monitor, influence, and censor the internet by journalists with considerable access to sources within the Russian security services

Chingiz Aitmatov - The Day Lasts More Than a Hundred Years

a very well constructed novel about the tensions between the modern and traditional in soviet central asia and a very horny camel. somehow the authorities chose to censor its original title and not its entirely unsubtle criticism of the soviet nation-building project

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
off topic because they weren’t really “good”, but I finished shadow of the torturer and claw of the conciliator. doubt I’ll read the others

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

HamAdams posted:

ooh my library actually has this one, might give it a read

i’ve thought it’s interesting so far (about half way through). it’s super long though, it’s a very thick book.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall right now. cool dumb guy book.i love it.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
my daughter and I are reading Osmo Unknown and the Eightpenny Woods right now and it is really, really fun.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im almost done with capital volume 1 by k. marx

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

what does the k. stand for?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

don’t care

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

well-read undead posted:

karen

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kkkarl

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

well-read undead posted:

he hasn’t gotten to the end yet dont spoil it for him

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
might gently caress around and read the brain of the firm finally

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

post hole digger posted:

he hasn’t gotten to the end yet dont spoil it for him

oh you mean the end of capital when josef k. marx is summarily executed in a quarry?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
karl marx asks his brother to "tell him about the rabbits" and, well,

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

well-read undead posted:

oh you mean the end of capital when josef k. marx is summarily executed in a quarry?

I hope he gets to buy his coat first :ohdear:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

tell em groucho sent you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dijkstracula posted:

I hope he gets to buy his coat first :ohdear:

he finishes with the coats and linen only like 200 pages into the book. afaict. now he’s spending half chapters tearing down his contemporaries and making fun of them

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

fart simpson posted:

now he’s spending half chapters tearing down his contemporaries and making fun of them

a venerable tradition amongst intellectuals, especially in the 19th century, man that was a catty century

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I just started Infinite Jest, only a few pages in but its fun to recognise another favourite author Steve Aylett must have been taken with the application of humour here, it reads like a lot of his books I have previously enjoyed.

(I picked this up after finishing the fourth Graydon Saunders Commonweal book and wanted something less taxing - The Commonweal books are idiosyncratic in the extreme and while the story inside is worthwhile, it's constantly trying to slip out of your grip like an eel)

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

honestly, despite its reputation of being an impenetrable doorstop, infinite jest fuckin owns

mandatory echatonpost:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJpfK7l404I

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

he finishes with the coats and linen only like 200 pages into the book. afaict. now he’s spending half chapters tearing down his contemporaries and making fun of them

sounds like he has a lot of growing up to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

wasp book update: the author has a 70-page long chapter where she’s having an imaginary dinner with aristotle (who she nicknames aris?) where she describes vespid wasps to him. this conceit is incredibly tiring. aristotle probably wouldn’t even talk to a woman about science, those greeks were misogynistic as gently caress.