Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vermain posted:

this is supposedly part of a larger brand management strategy nexon's been doing to try and scrub some of their big lovely company reputation away by creating small "indie" subsidiaries that produce games for them. dark and darker originated as an internal project under the same sort of umbrella before the head of that division snatched portions of the game's initial builds and went off to form iron mace

this owns actually im glad the scrooge mcduck corporations are seeing value in funding indie games instead of just pouring everything into a handful of samey blockbusters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm having trouble holding my balls, what are some good ball holding strategies

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Evil Kit posted:

I mean what is your definition of "hardcore gamers". There's a bunch of co-op or pvp games out that require significant personal skill and practice to execute along with applying yourself to understand the knowledge and macro the game requires. Also requiring actual teamwork.

Really though anyone who self describes themselves as a hardcore gamer is probably not worth playing with imo.

Meaning, willing and able to pour significant numbers of hours into a game if they enjoy it. Also, generally enjoying games which reward such investments. Most of the people I'm looking to play with have 1000+ hours in EU4. Real map dweebs.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
normally the kind of people who self describe as "hardcore gamers" are just fps bros.
if you asked for an online game for hardcore gamers without any extra context i'd pretty much only list shooty games like apex or cod or whatever

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I really only consider myself to be average at most of the games I play. Yet compared to pretty much everyone I know in real life who play video games, and would even call themselves “a gamer,” I could utterly annihilate them by any competitive metric of games played, genre knowledge, understanding of mechanics, or just simply 1v1 final destination no items. It’s quite sad how scrubby most of the human population actually is.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

exquisite tea posted:

I really only consider myself to be average at most of the games I play. Yet compared to pretty much everyone I know in real life who play video games, and would even call themselves “a gamer,” I could utterly annihilate them by any competitive metric of games played, genre knowledge, understanding of mechanics, or just simply 1v1 final destination no items. It’s quite sad how scrubby most of the human population actually is.

gonna have this epic rant engraved on my tombstone

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

I'm having trouble holding my balls, what are some good ball holding strategies
claw grip

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Try grasping with both hands

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They patched the dictionary and now cromulent, nerf, and simp are in.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

They nerfed the cromulent simps!

Also surprised simp isn't already in there given it was around since at least the 80's (The Simpsons and all)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Other cromulent terms added are kayfabe, smashburger, and omg.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Vermain posted:

you're probably thinking of neo exdeath's phase transition, though it's sadly an optional boss that i don't think a lot of regular ol' players have ever seen

This is only really making me think that the final boss in KH1 owes a lot to Neo Exdeath.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

They nerfed the cromulent simps!

Also surprised simp isn't already in there given it was around since at least the 80's (The Simpsons and all)
do you think the simpsons invented simps or that the simpsons are named after simps

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

homeless snail posted:

do you think the simpsons invented simps or that the simpsons are named after simps

Named after

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you know what they say about making a simpsons

it makes an rear end out of I and mpsons

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Meaning "Son of Simme" (a medieval variant of 'Simon')

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

to be fair anyone still watching the show nowadays can charitably be called simps imho

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

this owns actually im glad the scrooge mcduck corporations are seeing value in funding indie games instead of just pouring everything into a handful of samey blockbusters
i guess, though at the same time i feel like there are already TOO MANY indie games as it is

like, when rami and zeboyd guy talk about how this is actually the worst year for games because of layoffs and Unity's bullshit and studio closures.... I totally get it. but there's just too loving much already, the growth of this industry is not sustainable

if AAA publishers want to spend less money to make more games, that's fine with me but it's just an ever larger mountain and so much is getting buried as it is

e: that applies elsewhere too. did you know there's 60 new anime series this season? it's ridiculous. it's too much and everyone knows it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
watchin a video on Jade Cocoon, a game i really really wanted as a kid based on some videogame magazine ads but i never had the play station for it. it might be a bit rough overall today but the monster system seems pretty interesting. it also has the ni no kuni thing I like where the trainer can fight the monsters too.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pvt. Parts posted:

Meaning, willing and able to pour significant numbers of hours into a game if they enjoy it. Also, generally enjoying games which reward such investments. Most of the people I'm looking to play with have 1000+ hours in EU4. Real map dweebs.

I mean plenty of people pour thousands of hours into a game and never actually get good at it all lol (looking at you GaaS pvp fps).

idk you're gonna have to give examples of genres of games you'd like to give a try. Plenty of games with gameplay loops that foster replay-ability out there and have harder difficulties that require that kind of time investment to pick up the skills exist out there. I'd personally recommend a bunch of co-op FPSes because PvP fps is its own separate beast.

My suggestions:

Warhammer 40K: Darktide is getting a major update next Wednesday, Oct 4th, adding a bunch of new subclasses and a revamped skill tree, and the auric missions they've added scratch the itch of difficulty that requires game knowledge (including understanding weapon and skill builds) game sense, practice at the gameplay, teamwork, and the time investment to build up resources.

Zombie Army 4: Dead War up to 4 players, the first season pass is available for free on Steam, the campaign itself is length and encourages replay-ability with an entirely new enemy count they added called Nightmare. You'll sink a decent amount of time into this game to beat it on Hard or higher difficulties as it makes use of the Sniper Elite 4 engine which simulates both wind and gravity physics for bullets.

GTFO: the quintessential tryhard gamer experience. Up to multi-hour missions (albeit with checkpoints), requires both game knowledge and practice to succeed at, no metaprogression or really any kind of progression outside of consumable relics you can bring in for a run that give minor bonuses and cosmetics. Balls hard because it really expects 4 players to be playing the missions, and requires teamwork and everyone to execute the moment to moment gameplay with a certain level of skill. Most likely you will wipe multiple times trying to clear any given mission while learning it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Last part of Cocoon: Ow my head

If you liked the puzzles and want more of that kind of thing, here are a few 2D graphics ones:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1260520/Patricks_Parabox/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/497780/Recursed/

The Postman
May 12, 2007

ymgve posted:

Last part of Cocoon: Ow my head

If you liked the puzzles and want more of that kind of thing, here are a few 2D graphics ones:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1260520/Patricks_Parabox/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/497780/Recursed/

Thanks. I've already played Parabox, but Recursed looks pretty cool.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Simp in Simpsons is a different meaning than the modern usage which was what was added

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

exquisite tea posted:

We should somehow make this the title of the October thread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It seems like every puzzle in Cocoon can be solved if you just spend a few more minutes on it, and venture a little farther away to look for solutions. And it’s pretty good at corralling you so that you don’t waste time venturing too far away

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Evil Kit posted:

I mean plenty of people pour thousands of hours into a game and never actually get good at it all lol (looking at you GaaS pvp fps).

idk you're gonna have to give examples of genres of games you'd like to give a try. Plenty of games with gameplay loops that foster replay-ability out there and have harder difficulties that require that kind of time investment to pick up the skills exist out there. I'd personally recommend a bunch of co-op FPSes because PvP fps is its own separate beast.

My suggestions:

Warhammer 40K: Darktide is getting a major update next Wednesday, Oct 4th, adding a bunch of new subclasses and a revamped skill tree, and the auric missions they've added scratch the itch of difficulty that requires game knowledge (including understanding weapon and skill builds) game sense, practice at the gameplay, teamwork, and the time investment to build up resources.

Zombie Army 4: Dead War up to 4 players, the first season pass is available for free on Steam, the campaign itself is length and encourages replay-ability with an entirely new enemy count they added called Nightmare. You'll sink a decent amount of time into this game to beat it on Hard or higher difficulties as it makes use of the Sniper Elite 4 engine which simulates both wind and gravity physics for bullets.

GTFO: the quintessential tryhard gamer experience. Up to multi-hour missions (albeit with checkpoints), requires both game knowledge and practice to succeed at, no metaprogression or really any kind of progression outside of consumable relics you can bring in for a run that give minor bonuses and cosmetics. Balls hard because it really expects 4 players to be playing the missions, and requires teamwork and everyone to execute the moment to moment gameplay with a certain level of skill. Most likely you will wipe multiple times trying to clear any given mission while learning it.

Haven't explored the co-op space much with them (other than co-op online competitive shooters like Warzone) so I'll definitely check these out thanks

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Steve Yun posted:

It seems like every puzzle in Cocoon can be solved if you just spend a few more minutes on it, and venture a little farther away to look for solutions. And it’s pretty good at corralling you so that you don’t waste time venturing too far away

I was getting through pretty well without a walkthrough until I admit about 90% in with two puzzles when you have to shoot the green orb with the white orb, and also later when you use the white orb laser to shoot itself using the reflection.

I agree they're probably things we could have gotten if we spent a little more time with it, I was playing with my girlfriend and knowing it was late at night but we were close to the end we did start to get antsy and cave to look those two up. It's definitely not nonsense moon logic and can be figured out, although, the fact that the let's player whose video we referenced to find the answer also got stumped there for a while was reassuring

Anyway despite those specific examples stumping our tired brain I agree it's very intuitive and builds on itself in an engaging and not frustrating way. Excellent game

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pvt. Parts posted:

Haven't explored the co-op space much with them (other than co-op online competitive shooters like Warzone) so I'll definitely check these out thanks

I'm gonna put one cavet on my reccs:

GTFO is not actually a game I recommend. It's just literally the only game I would consider to be designed for "tryhard gamers" by any metric. Early levels it's not so bad but later levels are literal marathons that require your team to execute near-perfect to perfectly, and you may go an entire multi-hour play session on a single level and not actually complete it.

The other two are genuinely fun even on middle difficulties, with Darktide pushing you to play the hardest difficulties later on to earn more crafting mats per run, and also because it's a fun challenge when you have a build together.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 1, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I was getting through pretty well without a walkthrough until I admit about 90% in with two puzzles when you have to shoot the green orb with the white orb, and also later when you use the white orb laser to shoot itself using the reflection.

I agree they're probably things we could have gotten if we spent a little more time with it, I was playing with my girlfriend and knowing it was late at night but we were close to the end we did start to get antsy and cave to look those two up. It's definitely not nonsense moon logic and can be figured out, although, the fact that the let's player whose video we referenced to find the answer also got stumped there for a while was reassuring

Anyway despite those specific examples stumping our tired brain I agree it's very intuitive and builds on itself in an engaging and not frustrating way. Excellent game

I looked up one solution and was immediately filled with The Mist levels of regret because I was so close to figuring it out

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

if you're a dude like me with nothing better to do on a saturday evening, dan olson's got a big ol' documentary about the gamestop stock debacle and all things related to it

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

End of month cat post!

Tell you hwhat I basically haven’t played a game this month because of my poor baby Shrimp aka Tom Chutney aka Shrimpo Bean. His cat wiener was too small to pee properly. My cat got small dick and had to be catheterised four times in a week. So it’s been removed and Shrimp has like, lady parts now and requires near constant supervision to make sure the stitches don’t get bothered. Probably the most stressful and expensive month of all time.

Amyway, shrimp loves their new genitals and giant fluffy collar that makes them look like Meganium or the lizard that kills Newman in Jurassic Park:

His brother and sister don’t give a heck about Shrimp or his predicament

Mostly shrimp is excited to piss normally and keeps telling me I gotta see what that Pinocchio game is about

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I will soon posses a 4090. What game should I play first?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Deus Ex

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

DOOM (1993)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Open Sorcery

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Phantom Liberty, choom

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crysis

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nothing. Put it on top of your computer and do the Grinch smirk as you feel my jealousy radiating across the globe towards you.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The "How much to post it to Australia as a gift to my good friend Infinitum" game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

(Also Cyberpunk on max settings with all the bells and whistles)