Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

We need to find and compromise to a permanent end the person responsible for the Cincinnati Reds' BWAAAAAAAMP horn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

I want it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

We need to find and compromise to a permanent end the person responsible for the Cincinnati Reds' BWAAAAAAAMP horn.

I blame the Yankees inning ending 2 strike klaxon

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Robert Facepalmer posted:

'Sixty stolen bases? You ought to be ashamed. Rickey would have 60 at the break.'

-Rickey "Rickey Henderson" Henderson

Rickey still lives in the Bay and a friend of mine met him a few years ago and said "Dude I met Rickey Henderson buying gas and he did talk in the third person". Rickey is pimp

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh cool apparently the Reds are having a huge COVID outbreak to the point they're shuffling guys around as dudes hit the COVID IL in-between games. Hey Cubs uh, please try not to stand too close to any of these guys for the next couple days okay???

https://twitter.com/GDubMLB/status/1697708066559418511
https://twitter.com/bryce_spalding/status/1697708820263239751

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
dunno how most people are managing covid-wise but the universities I’m teaching at (plus surrounding communities) are absolutely laid flat with students coming back to town and spreading poo poo, everyone try to stay safe

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

RCarr posted:

Tatis Sr.’s two grand slams in one inning and Johnny Vander Meer’s back to back no hitters are also guaranteed to be unbreakable.

It might take like 100 years but 2 slams in an inning is doable.

B2b no hitters, good fuckin luck.

Unless you mean 3 grand slams in an inning or 3 nonos to actually break it, then yeah.

I guess that's the definition of break it but I decided not to delete, I'm a rube.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Robert Facepalmer posted:

'Sixty stolen bases? You ought to be ashamed. Rickey would have 60 at the break.'

-Rickey "Rickey Henderson" Henderson

For anyone who doesn't know, this is an actual thing Rickey called Harold Reynolds up and told him after Reynolds led the AL with 60 stolen bases, the one year between 1980 and 1991 that Rickey did not (he was injured.)

Reynolds thought Rickey was calling to congratulate him.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Rickey once again sublimely ahead of the curve, this time in “giving Harold Reynolds poo poo”

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/M_Montemurro/status/1697706078950031371?s=20

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

elentar posted:

dunno how most people are managing covid-wise but the universities I’m teaching at (plus surrounding communities) are absolutely laid flat with students coming back to town and spreading poo poo, everyone try to stay safe

This is how it is at the college I'm studying at. Went to class for two weeks, missed the entire third week due to a combination of hurricane and covid, and having to write papers about the constitution with brain matter that is capable of going "Yay Acuña!" and nothing else.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It might take like 100 years but 2 slams in an inning is doable.

B2b no hitters, good fuckin luck.

Unless you mean 3 grand slams in an inning or 3 nonos to actually break it, then yeah.

I guess that's the definition of break it but I decided not to delete, I'm a rube.

It wasn't just two grand slams in the same inning but both off of the same pitcher.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MLB will not be making any changes to the pitch clock rules for the postseason.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It might just be my brain but based on the games I've been watching all year it feels like pitch clock enforcement has gotten slowly laxxer over time. Like the umps will often let pitchers get away with a slooooow windup that they start with the clock at 0.5 seconds but don't actually deliver the ball until 2 seconds past. I kinda think the decreased game times are more down to the two disengagement limit and not letting hitters dick around for 30 seconds after every foul ball than the clock itself.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

live with fruit posted:

It wasn't just two grand slams in the same inning but both off of the same pitcher.

So all you need is for Cora to use Barraclough again and you have a shot

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Timby posted:

MLB will not be making any changes to the pitch clock rules for the postseason.

Good

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Imagine if the world series ends on a pitch clock violation

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Intruder posted:

Then it will be just as dumb as the Super Bowl turning on a delay of game or the NBA finals ending on a shot clock violation and the pitcher will have no one to blame but himself.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Intruder posted:

yeah you'd probably want to put an asterisk next to that world series win

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Then it will be just as dumb as the Super Bowl turning on a delay of game or the NBA finals ending on a shot clock violation and the pitcher will have no one to blame but himself.

I don't think either one of those things is possible

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They should at least add a few seconds for the playoffs but whatever, Manfred is obsessed with getting games done in under 3 hours.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
cubs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Fewer and fewer people are saying this

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Popete posted:

They should at least add a few seconds for the playoffs but whatever, Manfred is obsessed with getting games done in under 3 hours.

A textbook example of a stopped clock occasionally being right

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

live with fruit posted:

I can see it happening again with some position player getting torched.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

They should not alter the rules for the playoffs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1697748567077585277?s=20

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hockey doesn't decide games on shootouts in the playoffs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nor does MLB use the loving stupid zombie runner in the playoffs

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

blossommirage posted:

This is how it is at the college I'm studying at. Went to class for two weeks, missed the entire third week due to a combination of hurricane and covid, and having to write papers about the constitution with brain matter that is capable of going "Yay Acuña!" and nothing else.

oof good luck I wish there were more people looking out for y’all

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Yankees suck and will probably get swept this weekend but this is fun

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1697749355271241855?s=20

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They should not alter the rules for the playoffs.

Not even the zombie runner?

e: beaten

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

The Yankees suck and will probably get swept this weekend

I sure hope so

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The entire point of the pitch clock was to shorten games to make it more attractive to casual fans so it would be weird if they decided to change it for the nationally televised playoff games.

What’s the numbers on the pitch clock? I seem to recall a lot of noise in May/June that games were getting longer as the players learned to work the clock. I really don’t feel like I’m getting shorter games like in April but that could easily be me just getting used to it. My guess is its somewhere in the middle? Games are shorter than last year but longer than April?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 2, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Last I looked, average time of game had barely moved at all since April. It's another reason why I've begun to suspect the clock isn't as big a deal as the two-disengagement rule and making batters get back in the box.

Like seriously go watch a game from last year and get your phone out and time how much time is lost to pitchers throwing pointlessly over or just stepping off because they aren't feeling it or whatever. It'll probably be like 10-15 minutes just from that.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

Dude just homered in his first AB in majors....against Verlander....

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

For anyone who doesn't know, this is an actual thing Rickey called Harold Reynolds up and told him after Reynolds led the AL with 60 stolen bases, the one year between 1980 and 1991 that Rickey did not (he was injured.)

Reynolds thought Rickey was calling to congratulate him.

Rickey was calling to congratulate Rickey.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

lol, lmao, etc.

https://twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/1697775468676895203?s=20

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If Anthony Rendon disappears and is not found, his contract is suspended after 90 days and arbitrated at some point after that.

edit: there's no particular reason that I would know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lol the Angels will not go over in 2024