Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Greinke went 1-15 with a 5.18 and almost 2 home runs allowed per 9.

Dude's going to pitch himself out of the Hall of Fame if the Royals keep letting him in the stadium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I don't really have an opinion on the Rangers but there is a "Bought their way to the top" feeling coming off of them, which can be unlikable.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
https://twitter.com/jomboymedia/status/1708560355285160030?s=46&t=lRl8HNC2dXvuRHcXaz1cXw

Puppy!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

AlbertFlasher posted:

I'm still surprised the jays managed to make the playoffs. They looked so bad at times this year

It's not because the Jays are good - they're not, and I don't expect them to win any postseason games - it's because the Jays had their big collapse month in May, after an excellent April, and had a decent September. Meanwhile, the AL west teams collapsed in August (Texas) or September (Astros/Mariners). The Jays just scraped in, as evidenced by not clinching until game 161.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Mariners might be cursed. They regularly win 85+ games and have made the playoffs once in 20 years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Adopt, don't shop you assholes.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

lmao you just have to poo poo on everything don't you? How do you know it was bought

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Giving a living creature away as a gift should be denormalized.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MrMidnight posted:

lmao you just have to poo poo on everything don't you? How do you know it was bought

They literally thanked the breeder. That's a three thousand dollar dog.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The news about Wake is absolutely gutting. 😢

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

live with fruit posted:

I don't really have an opinion on the Rangers but there is a "Bought their way to the top" feeling coming off of them, which can be unlikable.

They shouldn't feel any shame in improving their team by paying players

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No see it's far more likeable when owners never pay to bring in free agents or to keep their own stars when their years of indentured servitude are up, and keep all the money for themselves. Won't you think of the purity of the game?

Just ask any Orioles fan 5 years from now when they're going 64-98 again. But they'll be likeable!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Thank you Greinke

https://x.com/MLB/status/1708584377200832882?s=20

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://x.com/1992Pirates/status/1708563298206044531?s=20

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

No see it's far more likeable when owners never pay to bring in free agents or to keep their own stars when their years of indentured servitude are up, and keep all the money for themselves. Won't you think of the purity of the game?

Just ask any Orioles fan 5 years from now when they're going 64-98 again. But they'll be likeable!

Yup, those are the only two options. Solid good faith argument.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1708588850644488489

Little league homers also count

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've always been a big fan of the Seattle Mariners.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If the Rangers couldn't muster a single run against the Mariners today, they don't really deserve the AL West title.

But let's be perfectly clear: the Astros don't deserve the title either.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I’m still proud of the Rangers and happy with the season, but I kind of wish they hadn’t celebrated last night when there was still work to be done.

But anyway, I guess their claim to a share of the AL West title is as legitimate as TCU football’s share of the 2014 Big 12 title.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 1, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Some Numbers posted:

If the Rangers couldn't muster a single run against the Mariners today, they don't really deserve the AL West title.

But let's be perfectly clear: the Astros don't deserve the title either.

No one in the AL West deserved the title, everyone was barely capable of crawling to the finish line.

But you know, if it had to be anyone, well… :getin:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

They should have Aaron Boone bury Tim Wakefield again.

Too soon?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

General Dog posted:

I’m still proud of the Rangers and happy with the season, but I kind of wish they hadn’t celebrated last night when there was still work to be done.

But anyway, I guess their claim to a share of the AL West title is as legitimate as TCU football’s share of the 2014 Big 12 title.

Astros didn't really celebrate at all yesterday and it does kinda show the difference between the two teams.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

live with fruit posted:

Yup, those are the only two options. Solid good faith argument.

Right, there's a middle ground where an improving team signs a few key free agents to complement their improving core. For an example of this, please see the Texas Rangers.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Kirios posted:

Astros didn't really celebrate at all yesterday and it does kinda show the difference between the two teams.

Old money vs. New money

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bandire posted:

Right, there's a middle ground where an improving team signs a few key free agents to complement their improving core. For an example of this, please see the Texas Rangers.

The Rangers got ahead of the curve and signed the free agents before there was an improving core

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
RIP Wake, responsible some of the most entertainingly ugly swing-and-misses

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Considering he pocketed that ball, I don't think he's coming back. :(

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

the Rockies hit their first pinch hit home run of the season today. it was their first one hit since June.
of 2022.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Astros win the AL West again :c00l:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Incredible. Simply incredible.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

Well obviously

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The Dodgers are the 7th team in MLB history with 3 consecutive 100+ win seasons. No team has done it 4 times in a row. The Dodgers would likely be at 5 in a row if not for Covid

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

They had like a 6% chance a week ago. Incredible

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/tigers/status/1708595636830871704

I've flown to Detroit twice, seen 11 Tigers games, Miggy hit in 10 of those 11 games, and in one game he got two hits so I feel kind of privileged to have seen him play. Also, saw Ichiro in the first two games I saw too

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

SAY YOHO posted:

RIP Wake, responsible some of the most entertainingly ugly swing-and-misses

Most of them from Jason Varitek trying to catch him

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Fangraphs last Wednesday

:getin:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Congratulations, to Minnesota for advancing to the ALDS.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think it’s within the Rangers’ ability to win a 3-game series; it’s more a 7-game series after that that concerns me. They’re not even on an especially cold streak, 3-4 in the last 7.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

What an embarrassment of a game from the Twins.

It's probably a good thing I won't be able to watch their playoff games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/CirclingSports/status/1708602217312432196