Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I know Jon Jones has snuffed out what little faith most of us had in USADA, but the spectacular falls of Hendricks and Weidman can’t be explained by time alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I know Jon Jones has snuffed out what little faith most of us had in USADA, but the spectacular falls of Hendricks and Weidman can’t be explained by time alone.

The crazy thing with Weidman is you kinda forget he lost his title almost 8 years ago now. So it's a long way off from where he was. He was only 31 when he lost to Rockhold and the fall off following was pretty damning. He got blasted with knees trying to shoot double legs on Romero and then Mousasi, barely managed to outsize fat Kelvin and then forgot you need to actually block right hands against Souza - seriously remember this fight?

I remember posting from round 1 that Weidman seemed to just completely be ignoring Souza throwing overhand rights and if he didn't start rolling or blocking them he was going to wear one and go to sleep and by the third round one got home and put him out.

I think it's a combination. The Usada thing was the right time as his fall off but three brutal knock outs in quick succession can definitely take your chin away. His knees were already shot in his twenties so I just don't know how much he's able to do that long cardio that tends to help with avoiding knockouts and aiding recovery etc.

Either way you spin it - it's a marked change in performance in a very truncated timeline.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

That's pretty accurate on Weidman, yeah. Funnily enough, while USADA was definitely a part of it, I think Johny Hendricks can also be explained by the impact of time and success on his personal habits. When he won the belt he was already entering his thirties, and he was real, real public about issues with his team, like, say, their desperate attempts to get him to stop eating fast food all the loving time. He straight up changed nutritionists from Mike Dolce to a guy who told him eating Whataburger was fine as long as he didn't eat the french fries. The combination of success means I'm right + I got rid of the people telling me I'm wrong + what do you mean bodies start breaking down in your thirties has ruined many an athlete.

Also, Rampage has announced his return to MMA.
https://twitter.com/mmamania/status/1698365707686150460
He's fighting Darrill Schoonover, who also hasn't fought since 2015, because he used to call him Titties on a season of The Ultimate Fighter that aired a few months after Barack Obama first took office.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm an extremely invested in Titties finally getting his vengeance after all these years

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i do hope titties gets his revenge.

also, i had a dark vision of weidman fighting manhoef at bkfc and almost passed out

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

CarlCX posted:

what do you mean bodies start breaking down in your thirties
Boy do they ever.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Hollandia posted:

Boy do they ever.

absolute trash things frfr. i was just getting good at life and it just goes and says 'whelp, guess you shouldn't have done all that drugs and fighting' and that was fair enough but still

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I’m near the end of my thirties and the last year has been nothing but poo poo breaking down. I thought I had more time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Did this start cuz Schoonover called Rampage out on social media for having the bigger titties?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Driving past Tufts moving weekend and these kids’ youth is undoing the arcane magick binding my shambling corpse together.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
sometimes things get stuck in your brain, for better or worse

i saw that man's name and said "titties" out loud

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

He should've embraced it like David "Hello Japan" Gardner

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Every time I hear about tufts all I can think is that it sounds super posh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

If Fatherdog were still here, he'd be having your guts for garters for this slight against The Chris.

The best thing Weidman ever did was get his dad in the cage with him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The first Weidman fight I ever saw was his fight against Lyoto Machida at UFC 175 and I remember thinking,"Wow, this Weidman guy is incredible!" and then pretty much every fight I saw after that I had the reaction of,"Wait... didn't this guy used to be great?"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

The first Weidman fight I ever saw was his fight against Lyoto Machida at UFC 175 and I remember thinking,"Wow, this Weidman guy is incredible!" and then pretty much every fight I saw after that I had the reaction of,"Wait... didn't this guy used to be great?"

I call that my Tamdan McCrory

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If Fatherdog were still here, he'd be having your guts for garters for this slight against The Chris.
Oh I remember that. Even suggesting Weidman was on gear was met with “he takes short-notice fights all the time and pisses clean”. A short time later we found out IV rehydration masked everything and his career nosedived right in time with the ban.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Oh I remember that. Even suggesting Weidman was on gear was met with “he takes short-notice fights all the time and pisses clean”. A short time later we found out IV rehydration masked everything and his career nosedived right in time with the ban.

Is it that IV rehydration masks everything or is it just that they specifically test for plastic particles that would result from injections and IV rehydration gives plausibility for those being there? Asking out of general curiosity rather than trying to say anything about Weidman.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
hang on, did weidman drop off after usada? after an awful start to the fight the momentum was absolutely going his way when he made the worst decision in fighting history. and as i recall he was beating yoel until yoel just hits him with one of the hardest strikes ever caught on footage. he was never the same after that for some reason in my eyes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

Is it that IV rehydration masks everything or is it just that they specifically test for plastic particles that would result from injections and IV rehydration gives plausibility for those being there? Asking out of general curiosity rather than trying to say anything about Weidman.

It's the plastic saline bags giving off microplastics that's the tell for IV rehydration, so the first case. I'm sure there's a tiny volume that comes injecting with plastic syringes, but presumably not a detectable threshold.

I remember someone mentioning when the ban first started that you can use glass bottles for doing the IV drip, and never heard more about that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Double post

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

IV rehydration is indeed banned because of its ability to mask other PEDs by temporarily diluting the concentration of those things in the blood. It's not an effective cover vs USADA testing, or even against high-quality lab testing that can detect metabolites on the picograms levels. It is possible that was part of the Hendricks/Weidman fall-off, but given the amount of weight cutting trouble the former had, and the damage that the latter absorbed, I don't think it's necessary for a coherent story.

kimbo305 posted:

It's the plastic saline bags giving off microplastics that's the tell for IV rehydration, so the first case. I'm sure there's a tiny volume that comes injecting with plastic syringes, but presumably not a detectable threshold.

I remember someone mentioning when the ban first started that you can use glass bottles for doing the IV drip, and never heard more about that.

You can use glass bottles and tubing to get around it, but that is extremely hard to set up and transport, not as many people know how to do it, and the pt. needs to sit perfectly still for the duration of the IV.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah sounds like I was mixing some things up, thanks!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

hang on, did weidman drop off after usada? after an awful start to the fight the momentum was absolutely going his way when he made the worst decision in fighting history. and as i recall he was beating yoel until yoel just hits him with one of the hardest strikes ever caught on footage. he was never the same after that for some reason in my eyes.

Guess when USADA kicked in.

It's right after the Vitor fight

You're right though, he wasn't fully poo poo until he got his clock cleaned a couple of times.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Vitor did blast him a few times before The Wrestling began, but Rockhold put a life-altering GnP on him that went on for the back half of the third and most of the fourth.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
The other thing the IV ban would have hit is blood spinning but I'm not sure if MMA is that sophisticated considering the hw champ pissed hot for steroids last seen before the Berlin Wall fell down

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I remember in the first half of that Weidman-Rockhold fight thinking a "wow this is a really good fight between two very very good fighters" and they beat each other silly.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I remember Wideman gave an interview like two days after the USADA news, saying that he thought he was carrying around too much muscle and needed to drop some of it. And then, of course, the hilarity ensued.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No one fell off harder than Renan Barao.

Known doper TJ hosed him up pre USADA but he goddamn he went on a bigger slide than the cast of cool runnings.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 4, 2023

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

No one fell off harder than Renan Barao.

Known doper TJ hosed him up pre USADA but he goddamn he went on a bigger slide than the cast of cool runnings.

Starting in the bathtub

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

one more thing about weidman, i have never seen anyone do that to kelvin gastellum. before or since.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Marching Powder posted:

one more thing about weidman, i have never seen anyone do that to kelvin gastellum. before or since.
what about hotdogs in aggregate

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Marching Powder posted:

I think Kelvin being able to commit to welterweight is one of my biggest what-ifs in MMA. I don't think he would've been champion (Woodley beat him and Usman probably would have as well) but he'd be a big problem for basically everybody else in the division.

Adesanya vs Gastelum I think is often overlooked as an all timer fight because it goes to a decision but for me that is one of the most watchable back and forth fights with a really compelling difference in body type, physical gifts, tactics, and preferred styles.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

actually, no, gently caress it, my opinion is that what weidman did to gastellum was the most impressive thing he did in his career. it was an absurd mismatch in action, but unlike tj / barao, this one weidman just treated kelvin like he was a child. not even in the same stratosphere. of course kelvin did loving crack him a good one lol but still, weidman mauled him in a way i can only describe as humiliating. and honestly i did not think that could happen to someone as proven as kelvin was at that point.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Guess when USADA kicked in.

It's right after the Vitor fight

I feel if this were largely true, Weidman would have looked much, much worse in the Rockhold fight. He looked about as good as he ever did until he dove into a knee.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

My lasting memory of that fight is him going for one of the dumbest spinning back kicks ever and immediately getting mauled by Rockhold

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the spinning kick was dumb but its not like he was winning before it. he was losing, then threw the spinning kick, then lost.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

If I wanted to watch some Weidman progression is Vitor/Rockhold/Romero the string of fights to watch then?

I like Luke Rockhold. He used to be one handsome dude

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
You may want to start with the Machida as it's a bit longer and gives you a better sense of how well he was able to handle himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

The Machida fight was incredible so watch it regardless imo, although I haven't seen it since it happened live so maybe it's rose-coloured glasses from my Machida fandom era

I absolutely agree that the Gastelum fight was the most impressive of Weidman's career though, although I also was a big Gastelum fan so those same glasses may apply.