Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Lid posted:

Minor nitpick Carl - in your rant about the middleweights you make appointments this fight is bullshit for many reasons but note "this is Anderson Silva's belt". It probably isn't the best comparison given there was so many lovely challengers they put up against Silva - Patrick Cote and Thales Leites. Especially Thales who got a title shot after "winning" a split decision over Nate Marquardt who had two points deductions in the fight.
Yeah and Anderson nearly hit a step-behind footsweep on him in the first round before he spent the next three and a half buttscooting. That's not on the champ.

Patrick Cote was the first one to make it to three rounds before he blew his own knee.

I would watch both of those men fight a thousand rounds before I paid for a Sean Strickland PPV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
If Israel hits a legsweep and Strickland starts buttscooting though

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bluedeanie posted:

John Makdessi is still fighting? In the UFC even??????

this absolutely staggering to me as well

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Shumagorath posted:

what about hotdogs in aggregate

i laughed at this when i saw it but i just thought about it again today which caused like a minute of cackling and i thought you should know

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Before goons meeting fighters chat washes past: I've met a few famous fighters thanks to being in a big city and on a team well-connected to both the fight game and party scene, but the only time I turned into a gushing fanboy was when I found out Wanderlei was doing an autograph signing at a Montréal Travelodge the morning of UFC 97. I bolted over there as fast as I could get a cab, got to tell him I started training MMA because of his old Sherdog highlight reel set to In Bloom, and still have that photo framed.

My coach commented on the ensuing Facebook post of us side-by-side with "Normal Head vs Mega Head". This was before Wandy had his plastic surgery and... yeah, accurate.

I got shut out of VIP later that night by an ill-timed piss break and failed to meet Anderson for what would be one of many Polkaroo moments.

Marching Powder posted:

i laughed at this when i saw it but i just thought about it again today which caused like a minute of cackling and i thought you should know
:sun:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 7, 2023

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Lid posted:

Minor nitpick Carl - in your rant about the middleweights you make appointments this fight is bullshit for many reasons but note "this is Anderson Silva's belt". It probably isn't the best comparison given there was so many lovely challengers they put up against Silva - Patrick Cote and Thales Leites. Especially Thales who got a title shot after "winning" a split decision over Nate Marquardt who had two points deductions in the fight.

I agree that Cote and Leites were both pretty unfortunate title challengers, but I would also argue they were both immensely more deserving than Strickland. Cote hadn't lost in years, had knocked the gently caress out of Kendall Grove when he looked like an actual contender, and had just beaten Ricardo Almeida, who was absolutely a Guy and came one fight away from a title shot at two different weight classes. Thales Leites had one loss in his career and was on a 5-fight winning streak, and while it sucks that he beat top contender Marquardt because Marquardt was a huge cheating idiot, that's Marquardt's fault, and Leites did, still, beat him. And those things were true while middleweight was, if we're being fair, a giant loving shithouse of a division the UFC barely even employed ten fighters to fill out.

Middleweight, as much as we mock it, does actually have a fairly solid roster now. Sean Strickland is 2-2 in the last year and a half, one of those wins is the #12 guy and the other is a guy who is not and probably never will be ranked, and those two losses were to actual title contenders, and one of them was Strickland getting completely, effortlessly shithoused. He's a worse, far less deserving challenger than Cote or Leites ever were, and I don't think it's close.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lid posted:

Who should have gotten those championship matches instead?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

man i never liked anderson as a champ and i got to wondering why that was. i looked at his record and holy poo poo he was a finishing machine. but no matter how sick and fast his finishes were, i knew that there was a middleweight out there who was better. anderson silva knew that too. it's why the leites and maia fights were such worthless dog poo poo. but to truly respect a champion i wanna see 'that dawg in him'. i wanna see what happens when he's pressed. and there was exactly one fight where he got his chance to show it. and he didn't. even though he finished and 'won' it.

i respect anderson. if you wanna call him the greatest ever i myself could make a compelling argument. but i never liked him as a champion.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

interesting addendum to my anderson musings was i asked myself if my dislike was sort of like the roy jones effect, where he was blowing people out so hard you forgot that they were the best in the world. so i checked roy's wikipedia page for evidence that he carried dudes 12 rounds because they refused to fight the exact fight that made him look the best and spied a good candidate, david telesco, no wikipedia page, 12 round decision. turns out roy fractured his wrist in training and fought one-handed lol.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I think what makes a great champion is when one leaves the division better than they found it because they make everybody rise to their level.

Obviously Anderson was going to be susceptible to strong wrestlers, but his striking was so far ahead of the mean for his period that he forced all the strikers to become better in order to have any hope at all, and all the wrestlers had to shore up their striking and work on their entries just to deal with him.

Look at the progression of American style wrestlers who challenged Andy. From Hendo to Chael to Weidman you can see the game being forced to catch up to him before it can pass him.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
my brothers and I (who also post on SA) used to play roller hockey with Scott Holtzman. before starting MMA late in life he used to play for the US national roller hockey team. he was of course a sick athlete at that, too. my older brother used to get into fights with him in roller a few times, normal hockey type stuff. he used to be way less jacked, like 140lbs, and he never ever got tired. i remember watching his fights against Drew Dober and Nik Lentz and being very impressed that they seemed to have a better gas tank than him, because his already seemed unreal. He's a nice dude, was glad to see him do reasonably well in the UFC. fought a lot of tough guys.

was it a Fatherdog post that was something like: the toughest guy you know could fight the toughest guys in your state, then all the state champs could fight for the regional belt, then those guys could fight to get national notice, then all of the top guys could fight for the privilege to get the poo poo beat out of them by Jack Johnson? that's kind of what it feels like.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

was it a Fatherdog post that was something like: the toughest guy you know could fight the toughest guys in your state, then all the state champs could fight for the regional belt, then those guys could fight to get national notice, then all of the top guys could fight for the privilege to get the poo poo beat out of them by Jack Johnson? that's kind of what it feels like.

he definitely did say that but anyone who has trained for a length of time will always take time out to meditate on it. there's levels, and when you get to the level of washes out of the ufc in 2 they start getting so far apart that it shouldn't be possible.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

[whispered by dan hardy with a thousand mile stare to an insensitive goon] gsp gave me a 25 minute jiujitsu lesson.

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuQbkQpMPL8

GSP and Dan Hardy watching and discussing their fight.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
UFC 293 Pre-Fight Presser is on and the banter between Izzy and Strickland is...cringe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n37VkiHm5i8

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Marching Powder posted:

[whispered by dan hardy with a thousand mile stare to an insensitive goon] gsp gave me a 25 minute jiujitsu lesson.

I remember sparring with somebody who fought on an Australian prelim and it made me never want to even take an amateur fight because I could only do things if he let me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

It was fatherdog paraphrasing a statement from an old-time boxing journalist - the tougest guy on the block / guy who can whip everyone in the neighbourhood / the guy in the town who can whip all of the best guys in every neighbourhood / the guy in the state who can whip all of the best guys from every town... if he's lucky he can get a life-altering beating from Jack Dempsy.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

hey siri, what's a good visual encapsulation of how pathetic everything related to sean strickland is

https://twitter.com/mma_orbit/status/1699258784969900531

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

wow what a badass counter culture rebel

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Was looking for something in the basement and found those autographed gloves molding away

I thought it said Baby but remembered his nickname was Bad Boy

I vaguely remember having to voluntarily hand the glove to Leonard who was just looking at it, not having planned on getting that one signed.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1699907328777089201

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I don’t watch the garbage, but apparently Rogan had Tulsi and BJ Penn on together. I’m almost tempted to listen to hear what insane theories they have about the fire.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Super Deuce posted:

I don’t watch the garbage, but apparently Rogan had Tulsi and BJ Penn on together. I’m almost tempted to listen to hear what insane theories they have about the fire.
I’m almost tempted to listen and hope there’s another fire.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Shumagorath posted:

hope there’s another fire.

Eeeasy.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
New South Wales is paying the UFC $16 million to host 3 events there?
https://twitter.com/lthomasnews/status/1699705366475403742

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Shumagorath posted:

I’m almost tempted to listen and hope there’s another fire.

I think (hope?!) you're saying that you want Rogan's studio to catch fire, rather than saying you want there to be another fire in Hawaii. But even without misinterpreting what you wrote, lets not wish for any deaths or disasters for anyone, world sucks enough.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yes I meant Rogan’s pile of money and not a Hawaiian island; this is PSP not CSPAM.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Apologies I'm late

ONE FC Friday Fights!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXJbhIEaABw

coathat
May 21, 2007

Nabil Anane looks a lot better when he's not getting punched in half by Superlek. Being 6'2" at 135lbs is crazy

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1700196402763043315
lmao. how to win a fight: just grab their leg and twist it backwards, dummy.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Trillhouse posted:

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1700196402763043315
lmao. how to win a fight: just grab their leg and twist it backwards, dummy.

"No fighter from Kyrgyzstan" lmao not quite, anyway I'm not sure we miss Palhares.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I looked out of curiosity and the victim in that video is 3-0 except he's 2-0 because his last fight was from a promotion that doesn't document its own fights and also this was his first fight in two years.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I've only watched UFC sporadically over the last few years and thus don't recognize most of the names on tomorrow's card. Is it a good card from a fight quality perspective, or is it one of many victims of the UFC's "we must have dozens of cards per year regardless of quality" mindset?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Ditch posted:

I've only watched UFC sporadically over the last few years and thus don't recognize most of the names on tomorrow's card. Is it a good card from a fight quality perspective, or is it one of many victims of the UFC's "we must have dozens of cards per year regardless of quality" mindset?

If you care about making sense of the rankings and high level matchmaking etc then it's kind of poo poo, but if you just want to see a bunch of UFC-level fun fights it should be pretty good, I very much doubt it will be a boring card. Read Carl's breakdown on the previous page for more details.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CarlCX posted:

I looked out of curiosity and the victim in that video is 3-0 except he's 2-0 because his last fight was from a promotion that doesn't document its own fights and also this was his first fight in two years.

ha it's rare for promoters to tell their guy they're fighting a tomato can because that defeats the purpose of the experience so i don't blame the guy especially if it works but still, lol

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
Bare Knuckle MMA starting now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcl79GpdtME

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

im living near NYC now for a bit with a buddy who floated the idea of going to watch jones/miocic at msg. i thought that was a marvelous idea that neither of us could afford, but i thought "let's humor him and see what ticket prices are" as i haven't looked at live ufc ppv prices in a few years.

the answer is $917 each for nosebleeds through ticketmaster. lol. lmao even

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

if you're not watching bkmma you're missing...this.
https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1700294390499967189?s=20

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

the pacing on this show is absolutely awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

This card will suck but at least theres a chance for some entertaining clashes. Also havin' a lol at Israel and Strickland both looking like absolute clowns but adesenya some how seeming just sadder and dumber. I just cannot bring myself to give a poo poo about that fight at all.