Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

DeimosRising posted:

I think it’s worth pointing out that “martial arts” have also been core to narratives of the oppressed overcoming reactionary forces, egalitarianism, etc. and actually served the purpose of making peasant rebellions more effective in e.g. medieval China. I think it’s less martial arts, and more fight sports that are unfortunately conducive to being appropriated by fascist and libertarian ideologies.

Eh, I think it really is martial arts, for a few reasons. The first and more historical one is the link between martial arts, particularly cultural identity and folk traditions, and nationalism. But also, since the 20th century and the rise of mass culture, martial arts (and as other posters mentioned, things like powerlifting) are easily appropriated into the aesthetics of fascism -- normative masculinity, individual strength, violence, Hellenistic imagery, and so on. This is all necessarily true for combat sports as well, but I think combat sports being the only real avenue for martial arts to also be a big business and have a breakthrough cultural presence acts as an accelerant.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Fedor. He used to be really good!