Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LobsterMobster posted:

Bibert "Albert's lil bro" Tumenov, l

I heard Ceebert is gonna be a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some news items:

Paul Felder is entertaining a return to MMA

quote:

The retired fighter turned UFC commentator took the first step needed in order to make a comeback to the octagon. Felder (17-6 MMA, 9-6 UFC), who retired in 2021, says he has re-entered the USADA testing pool and is leaving the door open for future fights. Nothing is set in stone, but Felder is certainly leaving the door open.

“I have no idea,” Felder said on the ESPN+ UFC Fight Night 226 pre-fight show when asked if he was fighting again. “I rolled with Michael (Chiesa) today. Honest to God, it blew up on social. I’m back training. I’m enjoying MMA again.

“For all the people that think I need a complete both hip replacements, I have bad hips, there’s no secret about that. I’ve had bad hips for years, but I am back in the USADA testing pool. That’s exactly where I’m at now, but that is it. That is it. I did it just in case. I’m getting old and there might be some old dudes out there that might want to dust it up in six months. Other than that, I have no idea. I’m enjoying training.”

Felder, 39, competed in the UFC’s lightweight division for six years. He retired in May 2021 after losing a decision to Rafael dos Anjos on short notice. He’s left the sport on a two-fight losing streak, but prior to that was 5-0 at 155 pounds. That run included a TKO win over former champion Charles Oliveira.

Felder currently works as an analyst and octagon-side commentator for UFC and Contender Series broadcasts on ESPN+.

Weidman leg fracture

quote:

The former middleweight champion [Weidman] revealed on his Sirius XM show that he suffered a fracture in his left leg during a unanimous decision loss to Brad Tavares at UFC 292 on Aug. 19. That comes on the heels a gruesomely broken right leg in a loss to Uriah Hall at UFC 261 in April 2021.

“I got MRIs done on my tibia and fibula on both legs, got MRIs on both of my knees, X-rays, and I’ve been waiting for a result – and I got the results back. There was no ligament tears at all,” Weidman said. “So ACL, LCL, MCL, PCL, all those ‘Ls’ that you do not want to tear because that’s like six months to a year of recovery. The ligaments are good.

“What did happen to me though, is I have a fracture in my left leg. So he broke my leg with one of those leg kicks. I ended up switching to southpaw and figuring it out. But I’m pretty sure that’s when my leg broke, fractured it. It’s on the tibula head, right below my knee is where it broke. Upper tibia bone is what’s fractured. Recovery wise, it’s not bad at all. Four weeks. Four-week recovery, that’s it.”

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Did this start cuz Schoonover called Rampage out on social media for having the bigger titties?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Driving past Tufts moving weekend and these kids’ youth is undoing the arcane magick binding my shambling corpse together.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

Is it that IV rehydration masks everything or is it just that they specifically test for plastic particles that would result from injections and IV rehydration gives plausibility for those being there? Asking out of general curiosity rather than trying to say anything about Weidman.

It's the plastic saline bags giving off microplastics that's the tell for IV rehydration, so the first case. I'm sure there's a tiny volume that comes injecting with plastic syringes, but presumably not a detectable threshold.

I remember someone mentioning when the ban first started that you can use glass bottles for doing the IV drip, and never heard more about that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Double post

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Shevchenko looks pretty recognizable to me. Not a head pose I associate with her.

This looks like the reference pic they used for Volk, which tbf is not representative of how he looks to me.

It's all wrong around the eyes.

Izzy looks ok except for the titty.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pat Barry was in town promoting Metro PCS or something. I really wanted to meet him since he came up in the sanshou scene with my coach. When I popped in the store, Leonard Garcia was also there! Fresh off his twister loss to TKZ. Like face still marked up recent. The joke that popped into my head was "how's your back doing," but it didn't feel warranted. TKZ earned that win, and Leonard Garcia want responsible for that string of robberies.

Anyways, I had Pat Barry sign a pair of my worn out kickboxing gloves, and he said something like, it's nice to have proof that you put the work in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

when first garcia/tkz fight happened, my brother happened to be over. he recently moved back to new england after a stint in texas, so he was pulling for leonard. i, like all right-minded people, was pulling for tkz. when the decision was announced, i got legitimately angry at my brother for saying it was the right decision and retroactively for cheering for garcia. fight watching does stuff to your brain, man

kimbo305 posted:

twister loss

Many, that was a very satisfying storyline. This is a good summary if you're new to it or want to relive it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuLVLQD1qAw

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Was looking for something in the basement and found those autographed gloves molding away

I thought it said Baby but remembered his nickname was Bad Boy

I vaguely remember having to voluntarily hand the glove to Leonard who was just looking at it, not having planned on getting that one signed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

hope there’s another fire.

Eeeasy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lid posted:

To this day my first Werdum thought isn't triangles Fedor or becoming UFC champ or losing to Stipe in a match he was winning

It's him offering side control to Fat Sergei

It’s definitely the flying kicks followed by throwing the boomerang at Colby.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He got stunned in the first and then behaved in a way that most threatened him getting caught again.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you don’t do the bare bones fundamentals and also that guy is pretty fast and hits hard.

I want to see a stat of how many single kicks Izzy threw. He does that in his other fights, but it didn’t phase Strickland at all.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I don't think izzy should get an immediate rematch, but if he does, I am curious to see how much he can adjust.

kimbo305 posted:

Sanko said Izzy is good at dominating the air with hands, which is normally a fair assessment, but those small movements are part of Strickland’s game. He needs to move into his defensive guard really quickly to pick up incoming straight punches. The small moves disguise both his offensive and defensive intent.

I don’t think it would be, at least from among kickboxers. It’s not bizarre as much as it is calculated. He’s doing two things:
- making small forward steps and not making it easier to circle to his outside, his left
- by having that small stepping narrow stance, he’s maximizing how far back his lead leg is talkative to his punch range, which gives him more time to react and check

It’s a loving embarrassment by his camp.
Not having any discipline circling to his right was the foundation for his problems. Gameplan he needed to stick to:
- southpaw, circle to the right, take Strickland’s very tight cross out of the picture. The more Izzy circled to the left, the more he gave up ring generalship.
- when, in the countless times he got Sean leaning back, that’s when you unload the leg kick. Not single with 0 setup. So many times Izzy threw straight punches, missed but had Sean frozen leaning back, and nothing under it.
- a sidekick under the lead arm after selling a good jab. Or failing that, slip deep to the outside to avoid the cross and dig in an inside leg kick

Strickland’s corner talked about not getting snake charmed, but in reality, it was 100% Izzy who fell for it

blue footed boobie posted:

I am curious as to whether this will see Izzy being permanently exposed. Strickland essentially just stood in front of Izzy at an uncomfortable range with a defensive posture, and Izzy had no answers.

I think it takes all of the shine off of City Kickboxing coaching without necessarily ruling out Izzy’s rematch chances.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Striking/footwork in MMA is trash.

Just confoundingly embarrassing given that Izzy was a reasonably high level kickboxer and we spent the past 5 years pumping up his gym as on another level. Izzy himself said that coming to the US and sparring people, that the kickboxing coaching and skill level in NZ were different.
At this point I assume City is contributing little to Volk’s success.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

Did he shell up after that, or was the fight different from that?

He did the scared high guard he’s always done after getting rocked from a pretty vulnerable position, then stood up and got punched more, and seemed pretty clear headed as he complained to the ref about something, maybe the punches being too close to the back of the head.
He might have been fractionally behind on his moves cuz of being rocked, but his corner should have given him any advice, like when he complained his jab was not landing.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 11, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The single leg kicks was an obvious sign to me that he was extremely averse to getting hit again, to the exclusion of having a winning game. Again, soooo many times Izzy’s 1-2 had Sean leaning back — perfect time to plant the low kick. Throwing it alone just had Strickland checking it from a mile away.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Already deleted?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

When Conor's back? From what?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

This is not actually how business organizations work. Unless the executive chairman title means something here than it typically does, McMahon is just a member of the board who leads the board meetings and votes in key business decisions, primarily those involving the structure and financial condition of the company. He wouldn’t have “the power to make key decisions.” He’s just one of several people who vote on key decisions.

I would imagine he could have a pretty strong backchannel with Dana, though given the egos involved, that would probably blow up shortly, in our favor inshallah.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

cagliostr0 posted:

his responsibility to produce a bas if it was over 75k Australian.

A what?

Marching Powder posted:

Proved something to me for sure.

Proved nothing to me which is why I'm continuing to research the situation on his OnlyFans.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is the airfare deduction cuz the UFC books it for you? I imagine most people who elect to just roll with it and focus on camp instead of trying to save a couple hundred on fares. But to Australia certainly stings extra.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

One new point i just seent about Izzy is that City Kickboxing had 8 fights in that card, which is an insane load for coaching staff. Probably more draining on fight night than over the training camps.

It's definitely gonna be harder for the corner to give pertinent advice on the spot after being going through hours of the same thing over and over.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Of course, Marina promptly got TKOed by Amanda Lemos--with one of those oddly quicker-than-usual standing TKO stops that seem to happen a lot more often when women are fighting for some strange reason we definitely shouldn't do any social introspection about--and her momentum ended on the spot.

Maximize girl power by sending Kim Winslow in there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

cagliostr0 posted:

We are one question about Japan away from iron turtle, MMA champion

*Dokdo Island song plays*
Uh oh, that Park Sun Jong’s music!

Man I miss Duncan.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

This is not an mma / athlete thing.

This is a "decades of brain-poisoning anti-progressive conspiracy-based propaganda" thing. You have people in all sorts of positions saying essentially the same thing.

I definitely think the correlation with being an insanely good athlete and time spent away from traditional higher education and more literacy around science and critical thinking hurts their chances.

sausage king of Chicago posted:

why does that fight feel so wrong

Cuz Tony needs to be done with fighting. It’s such a prop up for Paddy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I wonder if conspiracy theorists consider that outsider art.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Awkward double post, but John Howard's kids got shot while hanging out near some other gathering that turned violent. His daughter is in really bad shape.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-siblings-injured-in-senseless-gunfire

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

20d ahead of the Strickland fight :thunk:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

It certainly makes me revise my thought that Izzy is cooked. He might just be loving up.

The limited gameplan and lacking fight IQ that flight Strickland could still put on plenty of highlight reel fights against other top 10 WWs, if the UFC isn’t done with him promotionally.

It’s certainly not a great sign for his fight camp focus going forward, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I’m not aware that Izzy cuts a lot of weight, but it speaks to how little he cares about his weight and dieting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

P4P best names in MMA?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I was using Kazaa to find whatever mma/nhb clips I could back in school, around 2003. Igor Vovchanchyn popped up a lot.
Really smooth, balanced, super heavy Russian hooks. It was a cut above a lot of people’s technique. It was so gritty to see people fight on a giant loose vinyl mat with waves and edges everywhere.

Foul Fowl posted:

machida fans had it good. the weidman fight, the first shogun fight (not the second obviously), the way he crushed thiago silva, couture, mark munoz, c.b. dolloway, mousasi . . .

The slow mo of him pulling down Sam Hoger’s punch and countering over it really made me appreciate how mma gloves did open back up some technique that’s been lost with gloved combat sports.

Same with Ryan Bader just running into him.

He had a lot of tricks to finish once he popped into range, including a traditional karate/kung fu sweep:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It’s a pretty sardonic statement if you don’t click through, not trying to be Sam Alvey.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CxlIJbSsfTv/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Never imagined Krazy Horse to be the 1 side of a 2-1 cage match.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Apartment wrestling? Strictly the purview of the barely millionaires.

Wrestling mat boat wars, now that's what centibillionaires do
https://www.instagram.com/p/CwsgvUlLtEn/
(for those who can't click through, it's Zuck paying some name UFC fighters and grapplers to be his friends)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Apparently you can’t throw in a hockey fight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I’ve never heard that CTE causes/disinhibits illogical thinking like that.