Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Shumagorath posted:

I wanna go back to the night he cost a goon a nine-fight parlay by losing to Tito Ortiz in 2011.

Hmm I can't find anything about that in the GDT(requires archives) or in the Bet on MMA thread, not sure where else it would be.

Closest I see is this

Boregasm posted:

Well there goes my parlay goddamnit. Nice knee though.

But that's referring to Condit vs Stungun, far as I can tell.

Brut fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
For those not watching live, here's your spoiler-free report from Paris:

Don't watch the prelims.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Faustian Bargain posted:

book weidman vs pereira

book weidman against nobody.

kimbo305 posted:

Paul Felder is entertaining a return to MMA

At least he's being somewhat realistic about it, "hey I'm old maybe there's someone else old to fight" instead of the usual "I'm making another run for the belt!" bullshit we usually hear, but I still think it's probably a bad idea. But I guess it's not like he was getting repeatedly knocked out at the end of his career, so I dunno, I've seen worse situations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Shumagorath posted:

Oh I remember that. Even suggesting Weidman was on gear was met with “he takes short-notice fights all the time and pisses clean”. A short time later we found out IV rehydration masked everything and his career nosedived right in time with the ban.

Is it that IV rehydration masks everything or is it just that they specifically test for plastic particles that would result from injections and IV rehydration gives plausibility for those being there? Asking out of general curiosity rather than trying to say anything about Weidman.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Yeah sounds like I was mixing some things up, thanks!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Is Topuria vs Holloway the fight to make, and then if Holloway wins convincingly you give him a 4th shot at Volk?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Lucasar posted:

Give Topuria the title shot already!

Have Holloway do a vanity fight with O'Malley or something.
Yeah I guess I'm with you that Topuria deserves the shot.

I'm maybe with you on the "or something" for Holloway but I'm sick of champs moving up a weight class with 0 defenses, gently caress that, Merab deserves the 135 title shot.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm sincerely rooting for Blood Diamond because I want him to get three more chances to be wrestled hilariously. I need the legend of Blood Diamond to continue.

https://twitter.com/ChrisReive/status/1698860497964310850

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Shumagorath posted:

I’m almost tempted to listen and hope there’s another fire.

I think (hope?!) you're saying that you want Rogan's studio to catch fire, rather than saying you want there to be another fire in Hawaii. But even without misinterpreting what you wrote, lets not wish for any deaths or disasters for anyone, world sucks enough.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Trillhouse posted:

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1700196402763043315
lmao. how to win a fight: just grab their leg and twist it backwards, dummy.

"No fighter from Kyrgyzstan" lmao not quite, anyway I'm not sure we miss Palhares.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Ditch posted:

I've only watched UFC sporadically over the last few years and thus don't recognize most of the names on tomorrow's card. Is it a good card from a fight quality perspective, or is it one of many victims of the UFC's "we must have dozens of cards per year regardless of quality" mindset?

If you care about making sense of the rankings and high level matchmaking etc then it's kind of poo poo, but if you just want to see a bunch of UFC-level fun fights it should be pretty good, I very much doubt it will be a boring card. Read Carl's breakdown on the previous page for more details.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

individual865 posted:

Ring of Combat streaming here

Wait is that their legit stream or what? The official website sends me to watchroc.com when I click on "Watch" but that doesn't load at all so I dunno if that just would've normally redirected to what you linked or what's going on lol.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

individual865 posted:

Think it's their legit stream, got it from caposa on twitter, and he only lists legit streams as far as I know.

Ah gotcha, he probably linked it cuz their own redirect isn't working, I dunno if I've ever even seen an RoC card before, looks like most of their cards are in Long Island or Atlantic City? Interesting.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Looks like the bout order on Tapology for the gamebred card is wrong, anyone got the correct one?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

beep by grandpa posted:

What time is the main card tomorrow est

It's normal PPV time, 6:30 early prelims, 8 prelims 10 main card (EST)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
drat, Maki Pitolo got his rear end kicked by a dude wearing 3 shirts.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
aaaaaaaaaah

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
One judge's eye is doing worse than Werdum's apparently

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
They loving ask him about Conor every single press conference and it's always the exact same answer for months now, I dunno what anyone's expecting.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
What's interesting is that prior to roughly June Dana's answers were pretty clearly "Yup, Conor's got enough time to enter the USADA pool, he's taking care of the paperwork right now and they'll fight in December" and then as the deadline got really close and then passed for a couple weeks his answer was something like "uhhh yeah I think the fight's still on, we'll see what happens, it's not up to me it's USADA" (some variation of that anyway) and then a few more weeks later it transformed in to what is still currently the answer, which is basically "I don't have a clue what's going on, but we'll see what happens". So I do think at some point they genuinely thought Conor was gonna be able to fight, though I'm not convinced Conor and his team every honestly thought that. I don't think asking him about it every week and getting "I don't know what's going on, we'll see what happens" repeatedly is in any way gonna prevent them from pulling a Jon Jones here, it'd be one thing if the answer was anything along the lines of "Well if he's not in the USADA pool he's obviously not fighting" but I think he's been careful the whole time not to say that.

I don't really think Journalists are committing some grave sin by asking this, and yeah Conor has enough publicity that it's not really an issue of that either, it's just boring and a waste of like a minute or two of press conference time each week.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Hey by the way for folks living through bookmarks, there's a sticky at the top with something dumb, feel free to check it out

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041775

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

chaleski posted:

I look forward to Dana trashing Vince at press conferences and Twitter

This isn't exactly Vince but there was this:
https://twitter.com/WrestleOps/status/1701941168647385424

This is specifically WWE layoffs though right and not on the UFC side?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

John Makdessi will be able to deduct the 45% aussie tax he paid on his USA federal taxes, so likely paying very little to no USA Federal taxes next April.

This probably doesn't change your overall point but just for clarity, John Makdessi is Canadian.

Anyway

Fozzy The Bear posted:

UFC pay is ridiculously low.

SquirrelGrip posted:

The real crime is making 28/28 after 13 years? of fighting in the ufc

Yeah, this.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Boco_T posted:

Bloody Elbow tweeted that Bellator was going to fold but then seems to have deleted it

From what I can tell this is coming from someone who is (per their twitter bio) host of "The MMA Conspiracy Hour" and two other shows named after themselves, so uh, doesn't sound reliable.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

is charlie campbell seriously fighting a guy on a 7 year layoff whose last fight was a KO loss to the face of BKFC mike perry

Hmmm so that's kind of a tricky one, dude wants to fight and he's still got that UFC contract, isn't having him fight someone with 0 UFC fights basically the best the organization can do? It's either that or cut him, which...maybe that's what they should do, but then he's still gonna go and fight someone in some org right?

I guess if the concern is for bout quality in the UFC I can understand this seeming really lovely, but if the concern is fighter safety of that dude, I dunno, just seems like a no win situation.

Maybe I'm missing something though?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Was it 8? I thought I remember the commentary saying it was 6 during the event, still a lot though regardless.

Edit: I can't even figure out who they all were, Adesanya, Ulbert, Mathetha (blood diamond), and Young are obvious, who else?

more edit: Looks like it's Pedro and Jousset

MMAFighting.com posted:

UFC 293 features six fighters from CKB

Brut fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 16, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

TheKingslayer posted:

That all makes sense. It's obviously why Blood Diamond struggled so hard, I feel Dana owes him another shot.

lmao

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CarlCX posted:

We mocked Scott Coker and Tom Atencio and all the other fools of the mid-2000s, but once upon a time we had the UFC, the WEC, Bellator, Strikeforce, Affliction, EliteXC, Dream and Sengoku all running simultaneously and by god we didn't know how good we had it.

I don't know anything about EliteXC or Sengoku, but was Affliction not 2 events and 1 cancelled event?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

COPE 27 posted:

Most stadiums are at least partially funded by government, with the idea that it will be revenue neutral from taxes on increased economic activity.

Tax the ticket sales, tax the organization (instead of giving them money), it's just taxing the individual fighters that seems kind of messed up. They're probably (someone correct me if I'm wrong) subject to the same regulations as like a musician coming to perform in the country though, who it makes a lot more sense to tax directly.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

COPE 27 posted:

Don't American athletes have to file like 30 tax returns?

Eh my point was not really meant to be Australia-specific, I'm just saying that as much money as possible should be coming from UFC rather than from the individual fighters, since they're underpaid anywhere.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I'll post a thread, hang on.

:siren:click here for fight night GDT:siren:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Well while we're here, having probably read over 20K words of Carl's over the years, I'd like to offer a similar number in return, about where all this disinformation poo poo is actually coming from. It's a similar kind of style to the write-ups I think, telling the "whole" story, the human story, the journey of how the various paths crossed to lead to this point. Zooming all the way out and back in kind of vibe. Perhaps I flatter myself. Anyway obviously a lot has been written about Q-stuff already of course, but this answers the question of who actually started it and how, right down to the specific people in the room when it was conceived, which hasn't been done before. The journalists are actively wrong about it, often aggressively so. No one seems to care, and I don't expect that to be any different in here, and I don't want to start a discussion or derail the thread or anything, so please scroll past if it's not your bag, I'm just offering it to a fellow amateur writer and our benevolent OP and anyone else who might be interested since it came up and it kind of affects everything.

:psyduck:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

TheKingslayer posted:

It certainly makes me revise my thought that Izzy is cooked. He might just be loving up.

I don't think it indicates much one way or the other about his fighting ability, I don't mean to diminish drunk driving in general, but he got pulled over slightly over the limit, not drunk enough to slam his head on a cop car's hood like Jones, so while obviously it's a thing he (or anyone)shouldn't do, I doubt it has much to do with anything else.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I can't really remember which fighters originally caught my eye because :catdrugs:, you might be able to dig through my posts and see if there's anyone I posted about whenever I made my first PSPTKO posts, in fact after typing this I just tried to do that and as best as I can tell the answer might be Arlovski? Probably some of the other Russian-speaking fighters as well, Oleinik, Dagestan guys, etc. Didn't know much about Oleinik's past back then.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

lol, lmao.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I didn't see it myself but it seems like tonight's contender series card ended up being really good (skip the heavyweight fight), anyone catch that?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I'm gonna say this is not MMA-Adjacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Who knows what their slap fight format is, what if it's "basically boxing without gloves, but you're only allowed to slap"? put nate diaz in there