Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

DeimosRising posted:

“Miguel Torresi”

yeah that sequence was good poo poo carl.

george roop.... was he the guy who was like 6'2 at fw? by far one of the most unique physiques in the sport. i can't imagine even the best gyms being able to get a guy with the height and reach of roop to put sparring rounds on their fighter without also possibly killing their fighter, especially in south korea. i love tkz

CarlCX posted:

If you're 32 and you realize your body, heart and brain aren't in this anymore, and you make the distressingly unusual choice of listening to them, you're already outperforming an awful lot of the fighters you're leaving behind.

i had no idea who this guy was, and i never saw him fight, but kudos to this guy for seeing the writing on the wall. please leave brain trauma for the young, broke, and desperate - as is tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
oh yeah and i hate that you used a really nice picture of jon jones, and it is absolutely mind bending to me that ryan bader is champion of anything.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Also a good tkz moment: the time his friend told the story about seeing overeem's hog

really funny.

and if for some reason you haven't watched tkz / poirier, please, please, please do.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

Hmm I can't find anything about that in the GDT(requires archives) or in the Bet on MMA thread, not sure where else it would be.

Closest I see is this

But that's referring to Condit vs Stungun, far as I can tell.

i think this might be me, i vaguely remember something like this. i'll see if my betting history goes back that far lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

I won’t name and shame, but the bettor read one of my frequent posts referencing that bet within the last year and asked me to let them forget it. Sorry; too funny.

was it me?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

update: was not me. what was me tho was on sunday 7th of april 2013 i missed out on hitting a monstrous 13 fight parlay because marcus brimmage was knocked out by some rear end in a top hat named conor mcgregor.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i have seen sergey spivak fight exactly once and i have never been so poo poo scared about the outcome of a fight in my entire life.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

How much was it for I want to suffer vicariously

my betting history is a pain in the rear end to scroll through so this isn't exact but it was a $5 bet with the potential payout of nearly 5k. i wasn't that devastated when he got knocked out because only a few fights in my parlay had happened and i never expected to win it anyway.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Faustian Bargain posted:

book weidman vs pereira

lol that's a great euphemism for 'i want to see a man die in the cage'

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Hollandia posted:

Boy do they ever.

absolute trash things frfr. i was just getting good at life and it just goes and says 'whelp, guess you shouldn't have done all that drugs and fighting' and that was fair enough but still

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

hang on, did weidman drop off after usada? after an awful start to the fight the momentum was absolutely going his way when he made the worst decision in fighting history. and as i recall he was beating yoel until yoel just hits him with one of the hardest strikes ever caught on footage. he was never the same after that for some reason in my eyes.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

one more thing about weidman, i have never seen anyone do that to kelvin gastellum. before or since.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

actually, no, gently caress it, my opinion is that what weidman did to gastellum was the most impressive thing he did in his career. it was an absurd mismatch in action, but unlike tj / barao, this one weidman just treated kelvin like he was a child. not even in the same stratosphere. of course kelvin did loving crack him a good one lol but still, weidman mauled him in a way i can only describe as humiliating. and honestly i did not think that could happen to someone as proven as kelvin was at that point.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CarlCX posted:

I have weird and occasionally conflicting feelings about Gastelum and I think Weidman might be just kind of a terrible matchup for him. Gastelum's big strengths are fluid combination punching and the way his underused but persistent threat as a wrestler forces otherwise good strikers to let their guard down so he can hit them repeatedly.

But he's also a fuckin' welterweight in denial. Compared to him Weidman was huge and had something like a 7" reach advantage, and worst, Weidman was as good if not better at wrestling. So suddenly Kelvin not only couldn't rely on the thing that opens his opponents up to his striking, he was actively getting wrestled to death because he just isn't at a wrestling disadvantage often enough to be good at dealing with it.

Which really makes me wonder how he'll actually do if he ever makes it back down to welterweight, because, uh, there sure are some good, large wrestlers there.

absolutely agree, kelvin was a welterweight, but no other middleweight - and he fought a few - made him look like that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skjorte posted:

I had a brief chat with Dan Hardy when he and Gunnar Nelson visited my gym. Gunnar was in and out of the locker room real quick, so I asked Hardy if he would be co-teaching Gunnar's BJJ class that was up next. He shook his head and said he didn't have much to teach anyone. I--unintentionally insultingly, I now realize...--said, "hey, man, you went 25 minutes with GSP on the ground!" He just shook his head and said something like, "that was GSP giving me a private BJJ lesson."

love these stories of goons vs the fighters we watch all the time

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

met brandon vera in line for hotdogs and bonded briefly over wanting hot dogs.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

John Makdessi is still fighting? In the UFC even??????

this absolutely staggering to me as well

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

what about hotdogs in aggregate

i laughed at this when i saw it but i just thought about it again today which caused like a minute of cackling and i thought you should know

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

man i never liked anderson as a champ and i got to wondering why that was. i looked at his record and holy poo poo he was a finishing machine. but no matter how sick and fast his finishes were, i knew that there was a middleweight out there who was better. anderson silva knew that too. it's why the leites and maia fights were such worthless dog poo poo. but to truly respect a champion i wanna see 'that dawg in him'. i wanna see what happens when he's pressed. and there was exactly one fight where he got his chance to show it. and he didn't. even though he finished and 'won' it.

i respect anderson. if you wanna call him the greatest ever i myself could make a compelling argument. but i never liked him as a champion.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

interesting addendum to my anderson musings was i asked myself if my dislike was sort of like the roy jones effect, where he was blowing people out so hard you forgot that they were the best in the world. so i checked roy's wikipedia page for evidence that he carried dudes 12 rounds because they refused to fight the exact fight that made him look the best and spied a good candidate, david telesco, no wikipedia page, 12 round decision. turns out roy fractured his wrist in training and fought one-handed lol.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

was it a Fatherdog post that was something like: the toughest guy you know could fight the toughest guys in your state, then all the state champs could fight for the regional belt, then those guys could fight to get national notice, then all of the top guys could fight for the privilege to get the poo poo beat out of them by Jack Johnson? that's kind of what it feels like.

he definitely did say that but anyone who has trained for a length of time will always take time out to meditate on it. there's levels, and when you get to the level of washes out of the ufc in 2 they start getting so far apart that it shouldn't be possible.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

[whispered by dan hardy with a thousand mile stare to an insensitive goon] gsp gave me a 25 minute jiujitsu lesson.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CarlCX posted:

I looked out of curiosity and the victim in that video is 3-0 except he's 2-0 because his last fight was from a promotion that doesn't document its own fights and also this was his first fight in two years.

ha it's rare for promoters to tell their guy they're fighting a tomato can because that defeats the purpose of the experience so i don't blame the guy especially if it works but still, lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i didn't watch it because i didn't want to watch izzy beat the poo poo out of a what i thought to be far outmatched opponent and i didn't want to see strickland as a champion when what happens in mma happens in mma. but strickland by 5 round decision absolutely breaks my brain and izzy and anyone who ever lost to izzy should be embarrassed.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i almost cannot believe the irony but that poor loving kid. i hope he does as well as is humanly possible for someone raised under those circumstances.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I'm away from my computer so I can't be bothered checking if this was a dream or not but this is funny enough to relay anyway. I have a slightly kooky neighbour who is well into fitness and alternative medicines and whatnot and the dude starts talking about an extract from spinach taken orally at high enough quantities was producing measurable muscle mass and hypertrophy gains over a control group with zero kidney or liver toxicology. I brought up Google scholar and everything he said was true and if I recall the study was funded by WADA
Spinach roids.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Sorry there is no way that's true I must have watched 40 straight hours of popeye on a drug bender.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

Remember that guy who drank a poo poo load of Stevia and then got kicked in the nuts a bunch to show it made him feel no pain?

Proved something to me for sure.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Nierbo posted:

The way Strickland landed that right and dodged the counter by millimetres is beautiful. Please rewatch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i812t-OTVmo

The most remarkable thing about this video is two men were on camera and Brendan schaub was one of them and he wasn't the biggest penis.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CarlCX posted:

I mean, has he even tried saying anything racist yet

this is very funny, and also encapsulates my exasperation with this sport.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it was oleg taktarov for me when i was watching the first view ufc's the video shop had on tape in the late 90s. i don't know why. just took a shine to the guy. it was incredibly depressing to hear he was fighting this year.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kensei posted:

I started with the first season of the Ultimate Fighter and had a BBQ to watch the finale. That was my hook.

pretty loving good hook to be fair.

ditto mark hunt.

in fact ditto whatever got you peeps to start posting here. it's been cool going down memory lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Shale was the OG P4P #1 MMA grifter, the rest in the time since have dialed the rhetoric from racist to jesus loving christ so he looks pretty tame and harmless in comparison, even though his entire schtick was to make fun of impoverished black people.

it was absolutely insane to me that i went back to a 'best of chael's stupid bullshit' video and what struck me was how comparatively harmless it seems in the present tense.